Ausgang on the Ausgleich

Grey Wolf

Donor
I also haven't fleshed out the exact timings of events, suffice to say we are talking a gathering crisis from the Summer of 1916 to early 1917. I have slightly changed the death dates of some individuals, mainly because their OTL deaths can be attributed to the stresses of the war, or in my opinion the boost that the war gave to determination and thus longevity. The new dates do not greatly alter things, they just are.

The POD unsurprisingly is that on that Sunday afternoon in late June 1914 the driver of Archduke Franz Ferdinand's car does not attempt to turn round and in so doing provide Princip with a target. The result is that the world learns of the attempted assassination of Franz Ferdinand by someone other than Princip (the chap who tried and failed earlier in the day), and the milder level of Austrian outrage is sufficient for Serbia to reign in its most extreme elements in the period immediately afterwards.

Thus 1914-1916 is mainly characterised by four events on the world stage
- Albania
- China
- Ireland
- Mexico

These will be touched upon in more detail in what follows, but to skip forwards to the events of Summer 1916 and the descent into crisis...

Summer 1916, Franz Josef, Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary dies of old age. He is succeeded by Franz Ferdinand who, as I recall reading, was simply going to have himself crowned as Franz (Francis) and would thus be Franz II if I got that right. There are immediate problems with Hungary. Franz Ferdinand has spent 1914-1916 outlining and fleshing out his plans for a federal empire, growing more certain after his close shave in Sarajevo that Bosnia needs to be a self-ruling kingdom within it. This is something to which the Hungarians are bitterly opposed. Negotiations stall, he is crowned emperor of Austria but the coronation for the crown of Saint Stephen is repeatedly delayed. Positions harden, Count Tisza is forced out of office as Premier of Hungary and replaced by a coalition of more extreme nationalists. With the Ausgleich up for renewal in 1917 both sides refuse to compromise.

The crisis within the empire begins to have affects elsewhere. In Bosnia, Serb nationalists set up an unofficial assembly to run parallel to the official institution. Franz Ferdinand is leery of using force to shut it down as such parliamentary spirit would be useful in the federal empire he envisages. Nevertheless he clamps down on its activities and newspapers, fuelling an undercurrent of dis-satisfaction.

There are also moves in Trieste and Fiume to establish Italian conventions of a similar ilk. These Franz Ferdiand represses ruthlessly, much to the anger of the Kingdom of Italy, and alarm of the German Empire.

By way of filling in the back story, it is pertinent to look at Ireland and Albania at this juncture as they impact at this point. Ireland in the Summer of 1914 headed into a rapidly more-complicated and more dangerous crisis as Asquith's government attempted to clamp down on the armed Unionists and faced growing dissent within the army, at the same time as the Irish nationalists were also arming as a counter to the Orangemen. With clashes breaking out, and incidents of army mutiny reported throughout late 1914, in January 1915 Asquith faces and loses a vote of no confidence in the House of Commons. In the subsequent election, Bonar Law's Conservatives sweep to power, and with Unionist backing reverse the trend of policy. It is too late to put a stop to events, but Bonar Law's government is identified with the Unionist cause and the troubles in Ireland become more clear-cut, although no less severe as armed insurrection among nationalist bodies breaks out. A low-level civil war, martial law and constant minor acts of sabotage characterise the years 1915-1916.

With regard to Albania, William of Wied appeals to the guarantor powers in the Autumn of 1914, and with Britain completely distracted, Austria and Italy move in, forging between them an agreement of sorts. Italy gets a defined zone of control, whilst Austrian forces officially support the King in the civil war that spreads in the East and South. Relations between Italy and Austria remain tense, but with the German Empire harrying both of them things remain peaceful if not cordial.

In other events, the German Empire has strengthened and deepened its relationship with the Ottoman Empire, brought about a Greco-Ottoman rapprochement of sorts, and drawn Bulgaria more towards Berlin than Paris.

These events of the last couple of years affect how the interplay of powers and rivalries develop during later 1916 and into 1917.

A variety of factors leads to the decision of the Hungarian Parliament in March 1917 to declare Hungary's independence.

In Sarajevo this is immediately followed by the Bosnian Serb unofficial assembly voting on a resolution to call for annexation by Serbia.

Italy engineers similar votes in Trieste and Fiume, though they have far less legitimacy.

The Hungarians are faced with an Austrian mobilisation. Taking direct control of the Honved units, they never-the-less lack heavy artillery (deliberate Habsburg policy), and get what they can by seizing the common army depots. Reserves and volunteer units are hastily called up, but they are facing a difficult task against a fully-mobilised Austrian army under a determined Franz II Ferdinand.

In consequence, the Hungarians agree to make a devil's pact and request Russian help. Hungary itself has no contiguous border with Russia, the Russian border being with Galicia, the Bukovina or with Rumanian Moldavia.

Rumania is ruled by King Ferdinand, and has grown closer to Russia since his accession and the betrothal of his son Carol to one of the Russian Grand Duchesses. With the break-up of the Habsburg empire appearing imminent, Ferdinand reveals the existence of the secret Austro-Rumanian treaty of alliance, and announces that he no longer considers it binding or relevant in today's world.

With Serbia intervening directly in Bosnia-Hercegovina, and with Greece making moves into Albania, Nicholas II is adamant that Russia is simply not going to sit on the sidelines. This becomes increasingly strong a feeling when Bulgaria and Greece begin to move against Serbia, and Franz II Ferdinand begins to move against Hungary.

Intially moving through Moldavia, Russian units enter Hungary as 'advisors'. King Ferdinand does a secret deal with Nicholas II, getting Russian support for Rumania's claims to Transylvania. This of course is not mentioned to Budapest! In addition, Rumania allows Russian units permission to pass across its territory to Bulgaria/Serbia should it become necessary.

Franz II Ferdinand demands the removal of Russian advisors from Hungary, but they are already being deployed in the frontline. Meeting with the Kaiser, he gets German assurances that the German Empire will back Austria in its fight for survival.

Bulgaria completes mobilisation and launches a joint attack on Serbia together with Greek units. Russia issues an ultimatum and begins to send army units through Rumania, initially into Serbia but increasingly to the Bulgarian border.

Faced with the prospect of Russian forces on its European border, should they over-run Bulgaria, the Ottoman Empire mobilises.

As Franz II Ferdinand begins the attack on Hungary, Budapest requests more Russian aid. Seeing the Hungarian border forces beginning to waiver, Nicholas II is under intense pressure to do something. He sends troops into the Bukovina intending to put pressure on Austria to withdraw from Hungary.

Franz II Ferdinand issues an ultimatum to Russia to withdraw from Austrian crown territory. As direct fighting occurs in the Balkans between Russian units and the Bulgarians, the crisis deepens across Europe. Germany mobilises in support of Austria, whilst Italy mobilises for a position of 'armed readiness'. With France mobilising in turn against Germany, the wheels for a general European war are in motion.

Grey Wolf

Contradictions?

Wasn't the breakdown of politics circa 1914 about Hungary as the oppressors of the Slavs, and the Russians as the protectors of the Slavs? Wouldn't Russia have been on Austria's side? It was Franz-Ferdinand who wanted to liberate the Slovaks, the Rumanians, the Ukrainians (OK, the Ruthenians, if you insist), and the Serbo/Bosno/Croats from the Hungarians?

Redbeard

Banned
Quite interesting and with a lot of good points. I believe Franz will have to be III though, IIRC the Franz of Napoleonic wars was II.

Wkwillis has a point about the Hungarians being seen as oppressors of the Slavs as much as the German speaking Austrians. It was also Russian troops that slaughtered the Hungarian rebellion in mid 19th century, when the Austrian Army was engaged in Italy. I will not exclude that the Russians could never the less be tempted to use support of a Hungarian rebellion as a stepstone to have the Habsburgs dismantled. But it will also give the Habsburgs a splendid opportunity to get a understanding with the Slavs.

The Russians will probably have to make more secret aggrements like the one about Transsylvania to Rumania, and I believe things are becomming rather complicated for Russian diplomacy. And as long as the deals has to remain secret, the Austrians have a fair chance of splitting the Slavs from the Russians, and if they are official, then the Hungarians probably are back in the Habsburg camp again.

Basically Russia is trying to ride two horses (isn't that called Hungarian postillion BTW?) and they can only do that as long as the two horse don't find out. So the Russians will have to hope for a quick campaign, but perhaps two years of further industrial development has given Russia the needed extra offensive omph?

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Grey Wolf

Donor
As far as I understand it

http://www.btinternet.com/~allan_raymond/Wurttemberg_Royal_Family.htm#22.8

is an example of what I mean - after the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire, the numbering started again as Emperor of Austria. Thus you get Franz I, Ferdinand I, Franz Josef I and I believe that rather than reign as Franz Ferdinand I, FF wanted to be known as Franz II.

I have tended to view pan-Slavism as a device for the Russians rather than a litany. They pick the strategic interests best for themselves. Thus, a successful federal Habsburg Empire that remains strong and on their borders would not look as attractive as a friendly Hungary, a super-Serbia and unrest around the remnants of Austria to continue to distract it.

In a sense Serbia could be the key, and Hungary something which can be viewed as having fallen into their lap. Serbia moving on Bosnia, and getting embroiled in Balkan War mark 3 with Greece and Bulgaria begins to affect the direction of things

btw, I started a novelisation along these lines which can be found at :-
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=25424#post25424

Grey Wolf

Redbeard

Banned
You are right about Franz being reduced both in land and numerals after 1806 (how could I have forgotten, I've painted many hundreds of Austrian model soldiers with a "F" in the corner of the saddle cloth.

I agree that the Russians, if having any professionalism would considder the pan-slavism as a device rather than a litany (wasn't it also Bismarck who said about the Schleswig-Holsteiners when including them in Prussia: "I can break the neck of the chickens I've raised myself!" (quote from memory).

But that device might still be difficult to use in concert with the Hungarian one, and I think time is working against the Russians.

I guess a plausible outcome of a ATL WWI could be the Habsburgs (or a reublican follow-up) keeping Austria, as well as Czechoslovakia, Galicia and Slovenia. Such a state would have considerable industrial power as well as a decent population (40 million + by today?) and be much stronger than an alternative with Austria and Hungary without the Slav parts. In fact letting go of the Hungarians under a "the Russians let the Slavs down" light might be the best way for an Austrian greatpower to survive.

regards

Steffen Redbeard

Balkan wars

Consider what happened when Serbia, Bulgaria, and Greece fell upon each other while dividing up the Turkish spoils...Rumania won the most and they didn't even fight the Turks!
A war that Russia started would be finished by a Germany that wouldn't have to worry about what England was going to do. A war that Germany and Austria and Rumania fought against Hungary and Russia and Serbia would not be a war that Germany would lose.
The question is would the Germans give the Poles a country, because if Poland was fighting on the German side...
It could get really messy...Especially if the Italians demanded the return of the Tyrol and the Baltics decided that they would rather have a German prince than a Russian governor.
Maybe the French invade Germany by way of Belgium? A stab in the back while the Germans are defending themselves from a Russian attack?
No wonder that preWWI Europe was a powder keg!

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
I think a German defeat is as likely as not.

On one side, you have: Germany, 2/3 of Austria-Hungary, and perhaps Bulgaria and Greece.

Against them will stand: Russia, France, 1/3 of Austria-Hungary, Serbia, Romania, and probably Italy.

Staying neutral: US, UK, Ottomans

Given what happened in OTL, the odds are strongly against the Germans. I doubt the French would invade Belgium, except possibly once the Western Front had turned into an immobile bloodbath.

Grey Wolf

Donor
OK, lets say that inept German diplomacy leads them to declare their full support for Franz Ferdinand before the full impact of this becomes obvious.

I don't think it will be as clearcut as you say with regard to who is on whose side etc. Just look at the First World War, not everyone joins at once, some nations vaccilate then jump in when the moment seems good, others try to keep out until events drive them in

For example, if Russia is looking at this growing conflict as their best chance in a lifetime they may well initiate moves against the Ottoman Empire. From what I have read of translations of Russian sources, the Russian Empire envisaged war by 1920, this may well be seen as the time to do it and if it comes from an invasion of Bulgaria then they may not even seem to be responsible

Interestingly, British and Ottoman neutrality will probably mean that the Ottoman Empire gets 1 or 2 more dreadnoughts, depending on the timescale. A sister of Reshadieh is building in Britain, another has been or is about to be begun in the empire itself. Of course, Russia's own building programmes would be more advanced too, but as soon as war hits then these become problematic

Grey Wolf

Two points to consider.
1) France will definitely NOT invade Belgium. OTL, they retreated their troops 50 km from the border so that there would be NO chance of a hothead intruding and getting bad press in the UK.

2) Russia is going to be much better that OTL. In 1914, it was modernising at a frantic pace ( which is the goal of the french loans ), especially the railroad network. In fact, OTL, the german HGQ considered that 1914 was the last chance to beat Russia down before it became too strong. In this TL, they missed that deadline, and they will know it.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Straha, thanks

There are a lot of forces at work - for example, if you consider the German political and military elite they are going to be well aware of the rising power of the SPD. I'm not sure how often German elections were held, OTL the last one before the war was in 1912, I don't know if there has been one since. If so, it will have seen increased SPD representation and probably the traditional elite JUST hold on but know that they may well not next time.

German considerations would also be pretty certain that Britain is not going to enter a war.

In addition, what are countries like Sweden, the Netherlands, Montenegro going to do during this crisis, especially if it erupts into war ? As a wildcard, the Netherlands has two battleships building in Germany...

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
On the minorities

Nothing about the Dual Monarchy is ever simple, even when reading Jelavich I come away only 'sort of' enlightened.

Slovenia - no pre-1914, i.e. pre-war movement of any consequence for independence, most parties wanted to remain under the Habsburgs just have more rights. No reason why this is also not the mid 1916 position after a couple of years of peace. The question is what happens in the months up to March 1917 - probably the independence protagonists would gain some advantage, but during the negotiations and stand-off between Vienna and Budapest the main parties will still be pushing for a better position in the empire. Only Hungary's UDI will change the dynamics, but even so Slovenia as a whole will remain loyal to Franz II as he promises them most of what they want anyway

Croatia - the situation here is even more complicated ! Croatia is an autonomous province of HUNGARY. It is governed (well it was in 1914 and I see little reason for change) by a Serb-Croat Coalition whose goal is the same as Franz's - to unite the Slavic regions into a self-governing area of a federal empire. It becomes more confusing (surprise !) because the preferred Coalition option was without Bosnia, or rather they did not speak of Bosnia because it could well divide them again. They were focused, however, as pro-Budapest and anti-Vienna in the period up to 1914, as this seemed to offer the best hope. Franz II Ferdinand's accession will have changed this mightily, and one can imagine the Coalition switching to a pro-Vienna stance. This is increasingly complicated by the fact that Croatia is probably under martial law at this period and the Coalition are no longer involved in governance which is being carried out by the Ban, under orders from Budapest

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Minorities - more

Adancing form the previous post, what on Earth therefore is the situation within Croatia at the time of Hungarian UDI ?

The Hungarian leadership HAS to have some plan here. As Jelavich observes, Hungary's twin aims and requirements in this period are basically contradictory - they would lead to Hungary having to do with its minorities what it did not want Vienna to do to it. Magyarisation was one approach - treat all people within its borders as citizens of HUngary who just happen to have a different ethnicity, get them to adopt Hungarian names, learn to speak Hungarian etc not officially to crush their ethnicity (e.g. Romanian was allowed as a language for primary school children in Transylvania) but to integrate them properly into the Hungarian state.

In Croatia, the Ban has been keeping a lid on things for Budapest, but Busapest must realise that this cannot simply continue indefinitely. Military occupation, martial law and suchlike is a dangerous gamble when facing war with Austria. There would be voices calling for making an alliance with the leading Croat factions, but it seems unlikely that the Coalition would accept it. However, they were not the sole major party in Croatia, and its possible that one of the others would do a deal, perhaps in agreement for an enlarged Croatia to include Dalmatia and Slavonia, but remaining under Budapest.

Against these moves, there would be equal politicking from Franz II promising the Coalition everything they wanted, and from Serbia where the calls and encouragements to join in forming a unified South Slav state would become ever louder as they enter Bosnia.

However, Serbian invasion of Bosnia-Hercegovina in itself will complicate things... I don't know if the army units stationed there were still Croat by this time (they used to be pre-1908) but if there are clashes between Serb and KuK forces...

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Minorities - part 3

Transylvania is a case different from Croatia. Although it had provincial institutions the franchise was so restricted that the Hungarian minority were well in the majority, and Magyarisation was a full-on programme here whereas in Croatia it had been very carefully tinkered with. This means that the official regional assembly is going to be FULLY in support of Budapest. Traditionally the Rumanian peasants had formed unofficial assemblies from time to time to appeal to the emperor on minor issues. One can imagine such an unofficial assembly coming into being, but its not going to have the same sort of influence as the hypothesised one in Bosnia-Hercegovina will have.

Rumania itself is central to the question of Transylvania. If Russia is minded to support Hungary so as to ensure the breakup of the Dual Monarchy, then Nicholas II is not going to want Rumania stirring up trouble within Transylvania. I earlier hypothesised a secret accord between Bucharest and Saint Petersburg giving secret Russian support for Rumania's ambitions in Transylvania. But I think it more likely that there would be a public accord, whereby Russia promises Rumania Bukovina (Rumanians make up the second largest ethnic group_ and to support Rumania in pressing Hungary to allow more rights for Transylvanian Rumanians, including secondary education and reform of the suffrage. In return, Rumania would agree to recognise Russian claims to Galicia

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Addenda

A minor note, but it should be stated that Transylvania was treated as an integral part of Hungary - the percentages quoted are for assembly members sent to Budapest, not a regional assembly. This, of course, is why the ethnic Romanian parties wanted to have a self-governing Transylvania and a reform of the suffrage - to put themselves in the majority

Grey Wolf