Nice bait-and-switch with the "Nova Scotia" colony of this timeline, I don't think I've ever seen a Scottish Australia depicted before! Having a colonial empire should definitely help Scotland to become more wealthy and powerful, so hopefully it will become cemented enough to last longer than New Sweden and the like.

Nice bait-and-switch with the "Nova Scotia" colony of this timeline, I don't think I've ever seen a Scottish Australia depicted before! Having a colonial empire should definitely help Scotland to become more wealthy and powerful, so hopefully it will become cemented enough to last longer than New Sweden and the like.
Oh, thank you. It sort of is a bother, because to write, I sort of immerse myself into this world, and then I wrote Nova Scotia on google and got many, many, pages about Canada
But I think Scotland will have a more successful colonial empire, especially when compared with Sweden. I did mention Scot-speaking countries earlier...

Oh, thank you. It sort of is a bother, because to write, I sort of immerse myself into this world, and then I wrote Nova Scotia on google and got many, many, pages about Canada
But I think Scotland will have a more successful colonial empire, especially when compared with Sweden. I did mention Scot-speaking countries earlier...
Are there any Scottish colonies in the Africa by the way?

Family Tree
House of Aviz

Sebastian of Portugal (1554-1586) m. Margaret of France (1553-)
  1. Infanta Catarina (1569-) m. Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy (1562-)
  2. Infante João Manuel, Prince of Portugal (1570-1584). Died of smallpox.
  3. Infanta Maria, twin to Joana (1572-1574). Died of respiratory issues.
  4. Infanta Joana, twin to Maria (1572-) m. Lorenzo de’ Medici (1572-)
  5. Miscarriage in the fourth month. Gender unknown. (1573)
  6. King Filipe I de Portugal (1575-) m. Maria de’ Medici (1575-)
  7. Miscarriage in the third month. Gender unknown. (1576)
  8. Infante Henrique, Duke of Coimbra (1577-) m. Isabel de Bragança (157:cool:
  9. Infante Francisco, given to the church at a young age (1579-)
  10. Infanta Beatriz (1580-)
  11. Stillbirth of an unnamed girl (1582)

House Stuart

Mary I of Scotland (1542-1584) m. Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley (1545-1571)
  1. King James VI of Scotland (1566-) m. Infanta Catalina Micaela (1567-)
  2. Princess Mary Margaret (1569-) b. James Stewart, Earl of Moray (1531-1584)

King James VI of Scotland (1566-) m. Catherine Michelle of Spain (1567-)

1. Princess Mary of Scotland (1585-)
  2. Prince Henry Philip, Duke of Rothesay (1587-)
  3. Princess Catherine of Scotland (1590-)

House of Habsburg

Philip II of Spain (1527-) m. a) Maria Manuela of Portugal (1527-1545); b) Mary I of England (1516-1558); c) Elisabeth of Valois (1545-1573); d) Elisabeth of Austria (1554-)
  1. A) Infante Charles, Prince of Asturias (1545-1568)

1. C) Infanta Isabel Clara Eugenia (1566-) m. William Wittelsbach (1569)
  2. C) Infanta Catalina Micaela (1567-) b. James Stuart, Duke of Rothesay (1566-)
  3. C) Infante Carlos Fernando, Prince of Asturias (1569-1574). Died of intestinal problems.
  4. C) Infante Felipe, Prince of Asturias (1572-) m. Catherine de Valois, Queen of Navarre (1576-)
  5. C) Infanta María Leonor (1573-) m. Henri III of France (1571-)

1. D) King Johan I of Holland (1577-) b. Louise Juliana of Orange-Nassau
  2. D) Infanta Juana (1580-)
  3. D) Infante Fernando (1582-1585)
  4. D) Infanta Margarita (1583-) b. Prince Francesco Sebastiano

Felipe, Prince of Asturias (1572-) m. Catherine de Valois, Queen of Navarre (1576-)
  1. Infanta Luisa (1593-)

Ernest I, Holy Roman Emperor (1553-) m. Elizabeth Bathóry (1560-)

1. Archduchess Maria (1584-)
  2. Archduke Maximilian (1586-)
  3. Archduchess Johanna (1587-)
  4. Archduke Ferdinand (1589-1589). Died shortly after birth.
  5. Archduke Charles (1591-)
  6. Archduchess Anna (1593-)

House of Valois

Charles IX of France (1550-1576) m. Anna of Austria (1549-)
  1. Henry III of France (1571-) m. Infanta María Leonor of Spain (1573-)
  2. Claude of France (1575-1575). Died shortly after birth.

Henry III of France (1571-) m. Mary Eleanor of Spain (1573-)
  1. Dauphin Francis Valois (1590-)

Henry III of Poland (1551-) m. Jadwiga of Poland (1554-)
  1. Anna Walezjuszka (1575-) m. Ivan Ivanovich Rurikid (1554-)
  2. Zygmunt Walezjusz (157:cool: b. Anna of Prussia
  3. Henryk Walezjusz (1581-) b. Marie of Prussia
  4. Katarzyna Walezjuszka (1583-1583). Died shortly after birth.

Francis, Duke of Anjou (1555-) m. Catherine de Bourbon, Queen of Navarre (1559-1580). Their wedding later became known for the Massacre of St Bartholomew’s Day (1575)
  1. Catherine Valois, Queen of Navarre (1576-) m. Infante Felipe, Prince of Asturias (1572-)

House de’ Medici

Francesco de' Medici, Grand Prince of Tuscany (1541-) m. Joanna of Austria (1547-1578)

1. Eleonora de' Medici (1567-) m. Vincenzo I Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua.
  2. Romola de' Medici (1568-1569) died in infancy.
  3. Anna de' Medici (1569-1584) died unmarried.
  4. Isabella de' Medici (1571-1572) died in infancy.
  5. Lorenzo de' Medici (1572-) m. Infanta Joana of Portugal (1572-)
  6. Maria de' Medici (1575-) m. Filipe I of Portugal.
  7. Filippo de' Medici (1577-1582) died in childhood.
  8. Stillborn son (1578).

Lorenzo de’ Medici, Prince of Florence (1572-) m. Infanta Joana of Portugal (1572-)
  1. Cosimo de’ Medici (1590-) b. Archduchess Johanna of Austria (1587-)

House of Savoy

Charles Emmanuel (1562-) m. Caterina of Portugal (1569-)
  1. Princess Margherita (1584-)
  2. Prince Francesco Sebastiano (1585-) b. Infanta Margarita of Spain (1583-)
  3. Princess Maria Carlotta (158:cool:
  4. Prince Carlo Luigi (1590-)

House Seymour

Edward Seymour, Duke of Buckingham and Somerset (1561-) m. Lady Arbella Stuart (1572-)
  1. Lord Edward (1586-)
  2. Lady Elizabeth, twin to Katherine (1587-)
  3. Lady Katherine, twin to Elizabeth (1587-)
  4. Lord Richard (1589-)
  5. Lord Henry (1590-)

Other than that cool trees! However isn’t Edward a Tudor now because Elizabeth passed a law saying adoption is as good as being related by blood?

Other than that cool trees! However isn’t Edward a Tudor now because Elizabeth passed a law saying adoption is as good as being related by blood?
So, actually no. The Act of Families prohibited the passing of surnames from the adoptive parents to the child.

I decided to do this for a few reasons:
  1. I realized noble families, which I believe to be the only ones to actually care about family names passing from one generator to the other, would take advantage of this, and make adoption rather than something about people who desperately want a child but for some reason can't have them be something about power and making a family survive when it actually shouldn't.
  2. If Elizabeth had married and produced a biological child, then said child wouldn't carry her last name and be called Tudor, they would carry the father's name. Since Elizabeth is now legally Edward's mother, while Edward Senior remains his father, he has his father's name of Seymour.
  3. I personally think that to receive something you must give. I had the Valois and the Aviz families survive in the male-line, so the Tudors can't, especially since their male-line has been dead for decades.
  4. We still don't have the Habsburg-Lorraine and the Romanovs precedence of a child inheriting their mother's surname in order to continue a royal dynasty.
  5. I like the idea of a Royal House of Seymour.
I hope you understand my reasonings, and if you don't, well, this makes sense in my head, lol, but I'm unable to convey it in English today, I guess.

So, actually no. The Act of Families prohibited the passing of surnames from the adoptive parents to the child.

I decided to do this for a few reasons:
  1. I realized noble families, which I believe to be the only ones to actually care about family names passing from one generator to the other, would take advantage of this, and make adoption rather than something about people who desperately want a child but for some reason can't have them be something about power and making a family survive when it actually shouldn't.
  2. If Elizabeth had married and produced a biological child, then said child wouldn't carry her last name and be called Tudor, they would carry the father's name. Since Elizabeth is now legally Edward's mother, while Edward Senior remains his father, he has his father's name of Seymour.
  3. I personally think that to receive something you must give. I had the Valois and the Aviz families survive in the male-line, so the Tudors can't, especially since their male-line has been dead for decades.
  4. We still don't have the Habsburg-Lorraine and the Romanovs precedence of a child inheriting their mother's surname in order to continue a royal dynasty.
  5. I like the idea of a Royal House of Seymour.
I hope you understand my reasonings, and if you don't, well, this makes sense in my head, lol, but I'm unable to convey it in English today, I guess.
No makes sense actually, I also like the idea of Royal House of Seymour! True about 2 though, never thought of that one before.

I have just returned the favour - thank you for nominating 'Queen Is Dead!' @pandizzy and nominated this TL for an Early Modern Turtledove.

If anyone would like to hop over to the Early Modern nominations thread and second my nomination, that would be great.

Chapter Thirty Five - Burgundy
3157_Print_14632kopie.jpg

King Philip I of Portugal.

On 4 of March 1591, Maria de’ Medici, the youngest surviving daughter of Francesco de’ Medici, Grand Prince of Tuscany, arrived in Lisbon, Portugal, to wed her betrothed, King Filipe I. They had been promised to each other since 1584, as had Philip’s older sister, Joan, and Maria’s brother, Lorenzo. The older couple had already been married, and their only child, a boy named Cosimo, was born in 1590.

The double alliance with the House of Avis was highly valued by the Medicis, as it increased their social standing and, more importantly, brought them more legitimacy in regards to the two branches of the Medici family. The male line of Lorenzo the Magnificent had died out in 1537, while the children of King Sebastian were his direct descendants through their maternal grandmother, Catherine de’ Medici, who was Lorenzo’s great-granddaughter. So, it was easy to say that, after the end of the war of the Triple Alliance, Tuscany needed Portugal more than Portugal needed them.

And this was made clear with the Duke of Aveiro. Jorge of Lencastre, the lover of King Philip’s mother, believed Maria de’ Medici to be too lowborn for his king, as the Medici Family was not noble. Because of this, he attempted to convince Philip and Queen Margaret to break the betrothal in favor of a Habsburg or Valois princess numerous times. Philip, however, didn’t care about his new bride’s lack of familial nobility, while Margaret of Valois thought that by breaking their agreement with Tuscany, they would be risking the safety of her daughter, Giovanna, Princess of Florence. Instead of a new marriage treaty, George only gained the complete enmity of his liege, and this would be his downfall.

MariadeMedici07.jpg

Maria de Medici, Queen of Portugal.

With her, Maria brought to Portugal a substantial dowry of 800,000 cruzados and 2,000 people who made up her suite. At the age of sixteen, she had brown hair and eyes with a high forehead and long nose. She was not considered to be beautiful and many said that the most attractive thing about her was her considerable wealth. She met her husband on 6 March, and they were married two days later in a lavish ceremony at Lisbon Cathedral, or Santa Maria Maior de Lisboa, in Portuguese. Maria was crowned Queen of Portugal the next week.

Their marriage didn’t start well and their personalities clashed. King Philip of Portugal was devotedly religious, quiet, and timid. He, along with his younger siblings, disliked his mother’s favorite, whom he thought to be trying to usurp his deceased father’s place. Mary, on the other hand, was considered to be loud, rude, and of a very jealous temperament. She had been instructed by her father to please the Queen Mother in all regards and she befriended George of Lencastre, with the two often exchanging pleasantries and gifts.

Philip didn’t like that. He had hated the Duke since 1589, when, after he turned fourteen years old, George of Lencastre supported his lover in retaining her power as a ruler. Margaret of Valois assumed a position as head of the royal council, delegating the King to a symbolic and consultative role only. Although Philip assumed that his marriage would signal the start of his majority and his personal rule, this wasn’t the case, and his mother continued to govern the Portuguese empire in his name.

Maria and Filipe’s first child, a son called João Filipe, or John Philip, was born on 1, January 1592, nine months after their wedding. He had red hair like his father and brown eyes and was nicknamed ‘The New Year’s Prince’, or O Príncipe do Ano Novo. He was automatically heir apparent to the throne and named Prince of Portugal upon his birth. The birth of a male heir was much celebrated in Portugal, as it had been twenty-two years since the last Prince of Portugal was born.

The child’s birth coincided with a series of developments in the Portuguese Empire, also called the Ultramar Português (Portuguese Overseas). The Tordesillas boundary between Spanish and Portuguese control in South America had been increasingly ignored by the Portuguese in the name of Sebastian I, who pressed beyond it into the heart of Brazil, allowing them to expand the territory to the west. Exploratory missions were carried out both ordered by the government, the "entradas" (entries), and by private initiative, the "bandeiras" (flags), by the "bandeirantes". These expeditions lasted for years venturing into unmapped regions, initially to capture natives and force them into slavery and later focusing on finding gold, silver, and diamond mines.

The war against the Triple Alliance caused both sons of King Philip II of Spain to become extremely anti-Portuguese, especially Felipe, who had seen his inheritance in Europe become smaller than before due to the conquests gained. In 1591, a Spanish fleet under the Prince of Asturias’ orders captured a large Portuguese carrack off the Azores. The Mãe de Deus, as it was called, was loaded with 900 tons of merchandise from India and China estimated at half a million cruzados (nearly a fourth of the size of the SpanishTreasury at the time). That same year, Cornelis de Houtman was sent by John of Austria the Younger to Lisbon as a spy, to gather as much information as he could about the Spice Islands.

800px-0_L%27archiduc_Albert_de_Habsbourg_-_Frans_Pourbus_le_Jeune_%281%29.JPG
1280px-Carrack_Madre_de_Deus.jpg

John of Austria the Younger and the Mãe de Deus.

John of Austria, also known as John of Spain, or Johan of Burgundy, was the second and youngest surviving son of King Philip II of Spain. He had been raised since the age of two at Flanders, in the Netherlands, so he could become culturally Dutch and inherit the lands independently from his half-brother. He was the son of an uncle-niece marriage and its effect was seen in his sickly disposition. John was not physically strong and was unable to receive training as a soldier since most of his tutors thought it would be too much on his body.

Instead, he was given an extensive education, being taught from military strategy to finances. He could speak Dutch, Spanish, English, Latin, and French fluently, though he always preferred the Dutch language, and was considered to be very charming. He spoke with a lisp due to his enlarged lower jaw, which many said was unnoticeable because of his engaging personality. Because of a childhood accident where he fell over a set of stairs, John walked with a limp, relying heavily on the use of canes.

William of Orange, also called William the Silent, said of him, “If it were not for his poor health, he would have conquered the world.”

John Habsburg married Countess Louise Juliana of Orange-Nassau in August 1592. He was fifteen and she was sixteen. They had been betrothed for many years and, through their personal letters, it’s shown that they loved each other very much, and John never took a mistress during their long marriage. Many were happy to compare the young couple to John’s grandparents, Charles V and Isabella of Portugal. Their first child, a boy called Johan, was born in 1594 and five more would follow him.

Louise_Juliana_van_oranje.jpg

Countess Louise Juliana of Orange-Nassau.

In late 1592, Spanish settlers in the Americas were shocked to discover the Portuguese city of Goiânia, miles beyond the borders of the Treaty of Tordesillas. Their letters, reporting this to their King, would reach Madrid only in April 1593 and two months after the death of King Philip II.

Philip died of what is now believed to be cancer. He had been married four times, three of whom were to close relatives of his, and left behind seven surviving children. He was succeeded in Spain by his eldest son, now Philip III, and in the Netherlands by John of Austria, who had recently turned sixteen. The two brothers made the decision to firmly express their love for each other, with Philip III offering his daughter Luisa as a bride to the firstborn son of John, a proposition that was summarily accepted.

John, now Lord of the Netherlands, didn’t wish to be seen as subservient to his older brother, however, and made a decision that would change the political layout of Europe forever. John, called Johan in Dutch, summoned the highest-ranking nobles of his realm to his capital in Antwerp. The seventeen provinces that had slowly been inherited by his ancestors were legally divided, with each having a different set of laws and customs. John was determined to change that and, encouraged by his father-in-law, began to negotiate a formal and legalized union under one law, one king.

429px-Map_of_the_Habsburg_Netherlands_by_Alexis-Marie_Gochet.png

The inheritance of John of Austria.

The nobles, who had long chaffed under Spanish rule, were eager to have a Dutch King who would live and died in the land as they did, rather than task other foreigners with ruling under his name. The Union of Flanders, or rather The Bungurdian Union, united all seventeen provinces under the Kingdom of Burgundy, the new name taken from the ancestral title of rulers of the Low Countries in the fifteen and sixteen centuries.

Each noble could continue ruling their land, but they had to do so following the laws written by John. To prevent a future union with Spain, desired by no one, the starting point of the new line of succession would be the unborn children of John of Austria, with his brother and sisters lacking any right they might have over the land.

In early 1594, Johan and Louise Juliana were crowned together as the first King and Queen of Burgundy. After that, Burgundy was finally ready for war against Portugal alongside Spain, King John not blind to the opportunity to do what he wanted for long: take full control of the Spice Trade.

1280px-Unia_Lubelska_1569_r..jpg

The Union of Flanders (1594).

Aaah English is such a difficult language. Once again, I had difficulties in conveying my intentions with these chapter, which is a disappointment, though I think it went rather well in the end! But if any part makes you think Wtf, please let me know!!

And we'll see what King Henry III thinks about this kingdom name soon enough, guys, dont you worry!

Such a great update! Johan is displaying some real political prowess - hope it works out well for him. (Also, awwww on his and Louise Juliana's marriage!). Hope Filipe and Maria can figure stuff out... can't wait to see how Henri III responds to the Kingdom of Burgundy!