Because Rudolf remained unmarried for years, keeping Philip II and Isabella Clara Eugenia waiting, not rejected her for marrying soon to another bride. Also Rudolf was quite mad... Also Philip III/IV are a totally different matter than Ernest and Isabella Clara Eugenia.
You can stop that chain but NOT humiliating Isabella Clara Eugenia in this way (like you are doing with any Habsburg girl you can (see Anne of Austria insulted by her husband who apparently hated and mistrusted her so much to broke the centenary costumes of France, depriving her of the custody of their son and her rightful regency in favour of his over-scheming mother or their aunt Catherine who was declared public enemy by her husband and not allowed be near to her own only child. I wonder why you hate them so much).

Also Louis XV rejected a girl who was still years away from being able to marry and have children (and paid for that) and that rejection (who was rewarded by sending back the two French girls sent in Spain, one widowed, the other unmarried) was owed to the Duke of Bourbon who wanted Louis XV to start to generate children soon (as he do not wanted the risk of an a Orléans‘ succession).
And Bourbons do NOT ,arrived better at all: Louis XIV married a double first cousin, his son married a second cousin (she was Bavarian not Italian and her Italian mother was a first cousin of Louis XIV wh9 appear etis and his wife). The two grandson of Louis XIV married sisters who were also close relations as they were twice second cousins (one of their grandfathers was Louis XIV’s brother (who had married another first cousin, by the way) while the other was the brother of their maternal grandmother).

Keep in I mind who a different surname do not mean automatically different blood...
Charles IX gave the Regency to his mother, not his wife, because I had plans for a conflict between the two women, a la Catherine of Austria and Margaret of France in my early chapters, but I changed my mind. I had other ideas, and if I could go back, I'd have Anne be given the Regency on the get-go.

I don't hate the Habsburg women and that's an unfair accusation. The decisions I made for them would have been the same had they been from other families.

Look, Isabella, you don't need to read this TL if it offends you so much. It's clear to me that you aren't happy with the way things are going, especially since the Massacre of St Bartholomew chapter. Looks to me that to avoid this clear frustration, you just need to find another TL that makes you happy.

Charles IX gave the Regency to his mother, not his wife, because I had plans for a conflict between the two women, a la Catherine of Austria and Margaret of France in my early chapters, but I changed my mind. I had other ideas, and if I could go back, I'd have Anne be given the Regency on the get-go.

I don't hate the Habsburg women and that's an unfair accusation. The decisions I made for them would have been the same had they been from other families.

Look, Isabella, you don't need to read this TL if it offends you so much. It's clear to me that you aren't happy with the way things are going, especially since the Massacre of St Bartholomew chapter. Looks to me that to avoid this clear frustration, you just need to find another TL that makes you happy.
I dislike and contest only the highly implausible decisions. Catherine and Anne’s conflict was perfectly doable without going against one of the strongest French’s traditions or Maximilian and Ernest (both close to Philip II) rejecting the latter’s engagement to Isabella Clara Eugenia. Keeping Rudolf alive longer and marrying Ernest to someone else before his brother‘s death would work better.

Our history is full of impossible things we’d all laugh at and then argue over the plausibility of if we were a timeline or two over. Alternate history, I argue, should ignore plausibility sometimes to better reflect the implausibility of the past.

That said I absolutely don’t know enough about 16th century royals to argue one way or another—but weird history happens constantly.

Chapter Twenty - Ivan the Terrible
In early 1581, two thousand men sent by Tsar Ivan IV of Russia, also known as Ivan the Terrible, entered Lithuania. An old enemy of Poland, Ivan had written to John Sigismund in 1579, promising his support for the rebellion in exchange for trading deals and substantial payment at the end of the war. Although his terms were very generous, most modern historians agree that Ivan IV had no intentions of holding his end of the deal, that is, recognizing the Lithuanian independence and not pressing his own claims on the land. It’s unlikely that John Sigismund knew about Ivan’s power-hungry nature, for he agreed to those demands.

The two thousand men met with John Sigismund’s army of ten thousand, who had been in a stalemate in the surrounding area of the city of Zvyahel, their only major conquest in the war. Russian-heir Tsarevich Ivan Ivanovich wasn’t allowed by his father to command the army, which modern historians believe was a sign that Ivan the Terrible didn’t believe in the possible victory of John Sigismund’s forces.

Henri_on_the_throne_in_front_of_the_Polish_Diet.jpg

King Henryk III in front of the Polish diet.

On March 4, 1581, King Henry III delivered a speech to the Sejm, requesting the use of the complete royal army in the rebellion. At the time, most of the royal army was preoccupied with the Livonian war, also against Russia, but many believed it to be more important to defeat the Lithuanian first, before continuing the conflict with the Tsardom. The speech was also the first time where King Henry communicated with his subjects exclusively in Polish, without the use of translators. Parts of the speech have survived to this day, and they are as follow:

“My lords, our country has long been afflicted by our traitorous brothers and sisters in Lithuania. They have proclaimed themselves representatives of their culture and land, attempting to steal our peace and usurp our titles. They don’t recognize the authority of this Sejm, or the authority of our King and Queen. We mustn’t allow them to continue breaking our laws without retribution. Why should we be bothered with lands that are far from our borders, and we may not even retain them for posterity when we have this threat within our own realm? We speak not as the King of Poland, but as the father of this land when we request the use of the army against these criminals.”

Although many feared that the Lithuanian envoys to the Sejm would be offended by Henryk’s words, it’s possible that they themselves wished for the end of the civil war, as they hadn’t joined the rebellion. With a voting margin of four to one, the Sejm approved the use of the royal army against the rebellion, even though this would severely neglect the Polish front in the Livonian war.

It took over three months for the royal army to gather in Krakow, where they rode to Zvyahel. As it was the end of winter, the twenty thousand expected ended being only fifteen thousand men, but this didn’t stop them. More importantly, the powerful Radziwiłł family, from which John Sigismund’s wife originated, sent a thousand men to join the loyalists. As they sensed a humiliating defeat, Mikołaj the Red sent some of his family members to beg forgiveness from Jadwiga and Henry, who gracefully accept it. Despite this, Mikołaj didn’t withdraw his troops from John Sigismund’s army, which comprised of twelve thousand men On August, 3rd, they met with the loyalists led by Janusz Zasławski besides the Sluch River.

1920px-Hubkiv_Castle_1_RB.jpg

The Sluch River. The Battle is believed to have taken place in the plains at the back of the picture.

Despite the usual August weather being warm and dry air, it rained for over a week, starting on August 1. Because of this, the river and its surrounding areas were flooded and muddy, which caused confusion amongst the Russian troops, who were not used to fighting in such weather. Janusz Zasławski, noticing this, prevented his men from attacking, and quickly surrounded the opposing forces, driving them against the river.

This action led to a certain victory for the royal army. Many men drowned in their attempts to flee, since most were wearing heavy armor at the time, and couldn’t swim against the strong currents. Others felt forced to attack for their own survival, walking right into Janusz’s trap. He expertly put standing pikemen in the inner ring of his encirclement, who pierced the coming men either in their necks or on opening in their armors. As the dead piled on, and the royal army slowly moved forward, defeat became a matter of time.

fe1db151d2776f2cf27270213c1cb0cf.jpg

The Battle of Zvyahel.

The Battle of Zvyahel lasted for a day and a half, with five to seven thousand rebels dying immediately, and another thousand over the following days. For their part, the royal lost only five hundred during the initial skirmish, who were summarily buried with honors.

Barely a week later, the troops retook Zvyahel, with Janusz Zasławski ordering the execution of the fifty rebels garrisoned inside. With Zvyahel back under Polish control, Henry and Jadwiga sent peace terms for John Sigismund and Ivan the Terrible, who had taken advantage of it all to retake some of his lost territories in Livonia.

John Sigismund and his wife, Katherine Radziwiłł, had their marriage recognized by Jadwiga and Henry but were forbidden from ever taking up arms against the King and Queen again. John Sigismund abdicated his claims to Poland and Lithuania, returning to his lands in Transylvania, where he was forced to pay a heavy fine of 500,000 crowns. Although John Sigismund paid the amount, this threw him heavily into debt and, more importantly, prevented him from paying his yearly tribute to the powerful Ottoman Empire.

The rebelling lords had most of their lands taken by the crown. Janusz Zasławski was awarded the title of Senior Marshal, or Marszałek senior, and given the Golub Castle as a reward for his actions. The Radziwiłł had to pay a heavy fine for the crown, over fifty thousand crowns, and were exiled from court, but mostly left untouched.

Ivan the Terrible, on the other hand, had a better holding to negotiate acceptable deals with Henry and Jadwiga. In 1582, The Treaty of Krakow, named after the city in which it was signed, brought about not only peace between Poland and Russia in regards to the civil war, but also, in regards to the Livonian war. Ivan promised to never again interfere in Polish matters in return for Jadwiga and Henry withdrawing their troops from Livonia. Since it was unlikely that the royal army would be able to retake the lost territories, which included Vitebsk, Pskov, and other minor cities, they agreed, in return for Ivan recognizing their sovereignty over the Duchy of Courland and Semigallia. Ivan agreed.

But Henryk Walezjusz, determined to gain a more profitable agreement to his family, continued to attempt negotiations between himself and Ivan. It’s unlikely that Jadwiga knew about it as, at the same time, she attempted to conclude a betrothal between her daughter, Anna, and the Infante Juan of Spain, who had been accepted as the future ruler of the Netherlands. When the negotiations failed, Henryk approached her with his ideas, managing to convince her despite her own misgiving and, together, they patiently waited for a chance.

Angelo_Bronzino_-_Portrait_of_a_Young_Girl_-_WGA3270.jpg

Grand Duchess Anna of Lithuania before her wedding by Angelo Bronzino.

An opportunity arose after the death of Yelena Sheremeteva, Tsarevich Ivan’s third wife, who gave birth to a stillborn daughter before summarily dying of childbed fever. Desperate for a legitimate grandchild, Ivan the Terrible had already sent two of his son’s wives to convents because of their apparent incapability to fall pregnant. Using this strong desire, Henry offered his eldest child, Anna, aged seven, as a bride to the Tsarevich. Although Tsar Ivan was wary of Anna, since it would take at least another five years for her to be able to produce children, he finally agreed after Henry promised the Grand Duchess would convert to orthodoxy upon the marriage and a very profitable dowry of two hundred crowns.

Ivan agreed and Anna Walezjuszka and Ivan Ivanovich were betrothed, to be wed once the bride reached the age of fourteen.

Last edited:
Happy new year everyone! I was sleeping when it hit midnight so I missed it, but hopefully 2021 will be better than 2020!

Like the great Bo Burnham said, Life on Earth could be heaven. Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?

On March 4, 1581, King Henry III delivered a speech to the Sejm, requesting the use of the complete royal army in the rebellion. At the time, most of the royal army was preoccupied with the Livonian war, also against Russia, but many believed it to be more important to defeat the Lithuanian first, before continuing the conflict with the Tsardom. The speech was also the first time where King Henry communicated with his subjects exclusively in Polish, without the use of translators. Parts of the speech have survived to this day, and they are as follow:

“My lords, our country has long been afflicted by our traitorous brothers and sisters in Lithuania. They have proclaimed themselves representatives of their culture and land, attempting to steal our peace and usurp our titles. They don’t recognize the authority of this Sejm, or the authority of our King and Queen. We mustn’t allow them to continue breaking our laws without retribution. Why should we be bothered with lands that are far from our borders, and we may not even retain them for posterity when we have this threat within our own realm? We speak not as the King of Poland, but as the father of this land when we request the use of the army against these criminals.”

Well, if rebels are controlling entirety of GDL, it's unlikely that many Lithuanian envoys are present at meeting in the first place. And the speech would be perceived as moderate under these circumstances, in Poland many nobles thought that because of conditions of various treaties made in late XIVth/early XVth century (beginning with union of Krewo), Lithuania ought to be completely incorporated to Poland and renamed "Nowopolska" (New Poland) as another province of Polish Crown.
I think that after defeat of rebellion (I know that it's not covered in the quote), those ideas will gain approval of Sejm, King and Queen and thus GDL would cease to exist - most of Lithuanian lords betrayed the Crown and would be forced to comply anyways.

where he was forced to pay a heavy fine of 500,000 crowns. Although John Sigismund paid the amount, this threw him heavily into debt and, more importantly, prevented him from paying his yearly tribute to the powerful Ottoman Empire.

The rebelling lords had most of their lands taken by the crown

This greatly strenghtens position of crown vis a vis nobles, because it gives king more income, which isn't controlled in any way by estates. If king wanted to introduce more absolutist-leaning solutions than IOTL, that would kind of help him in doing so.

With or without city of Riga itself (Riga was treated as not exactly part of Livonia)?

An opportunity arose after the death of Yelena Sheremeteva, Tsarevich Ivan’s third wife, who gave birth to a stillborn daughter before summarily dying of childbed fever. Desperate for a legitimate grandchild, Ivan the Terrible had already sent two of his son’s wives to convents because of their apparent incapability to fall pregnant. Using this strong desire, Henry offered his eldest child, Anna, aged seven, as a bride to the Tsarevich. Although Tsar Ivan was wary of Anna, since it would take at least another five years for her to be able to produce children, he finally agreed after Henry promised the Grand Duchess would convert to orthodoxy upon the marriage and a very profitable dowry of two hundred crowns.

This would make for interesting TTL's Time of Troubles if Ivan Ivanovich still dies when his son is a minor (and it is likely since Ivan's death was in fact caused by his ilness - https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Иван_Иванович_(царевич)#Смерть), because Russians won't like Catholic princess being mother of heir to their throne and most likely Boris Godunov will assasinate young Tsar to make his pawn, Fyodor (brother of Ivan Ivanovich) ascend to the throne. And this gives Poles golden casus belli on Russia.

This would make for interesting TTL's Time of Troubles if Ivan Ivanovich still dies when his son is a minor (and it is likely since Ivan's death was in fact caused by his ilness - https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Иван_Иванович_(царевич)#Смерть), because Russians won't like Catholic princess being mother of heir to their throne and most likely Boris Godunov will assasinate young Tsar to make his pawn, Fyodor (brother of Ivan Ivanovich) ascend to the throne. And this gives Poles golden casus belli on Russia.
I have some plans for Russia now. They are very muddled yet, nothing concrete, and yes, they have everything to do with Anna's russian progeny, but there's still many years timeline-wise before I can tackle the Time of Troubles.

I'll take everything you said into account, but the next few updates are going to be either Italian or Austrian, so nothing can be handled in regards to Poland yet. But we'll see.

Also about that city, I don't know. I'll research and then I'll get back at you for what I've decided.

I have some plans for Russia now. They are very muddled yet, nothing concrete, and yes, they have everything to do with Anna's russian progeny, but there's still many years timeline-wise before I can tackle the Time of Troubles.

I'll take everything you said into account, but the next few updates are going to be either Italian or Austrian, so nothing can be handled in regards to Poland yet. But we'll see.

Also about that city, I don't know. I'll research and then I'll get back at you for what I've decided.

I didn't expect you to immediately include this in update, I merely posted my own opinion on chapter.

Well, Time of Troubles had it's roots in Ivan the Terrible's reign and with Anna having a son it'd happen earlier.

Chapter Twenty-One - The Triple Alliance
“To explain Sebastian’s participation in the Triple Alliance by blaming Philip II of Spain’s rejection of his daughter Catarina is to ignore his entire personality. Sebastian I of Portugal was a soldier first, and a King next.” - Sebastião, Francesco, and Carlo Emanuele: Three Allies and the Italian Wars of the 1580s by Dr. James Williams.

800px-Portrait_of_Francesco_I_de_Medici%2C_Grand_Duke_of_Tuscany_%281541-1587%29.jpg
800px-Bildnis_des_Herzog_Karl_Emanuel_I_von_Savoyen.jpg
800px-Don_Sebastian_de_Portugal.JPG

Francesco de' Medici, Carlo Emanuele de Savoy and Sebastião Avis.

As the great-granddaughter of Charles V of Spain, Infanta Catarina had a stronger blood claim to the Duchy of Milan than her new husband, who was the son of Marguerite of Valois. At the time of her marriage to Charles Emmanuel I, the Dukedom was held by the King of Spain. Philip Habsburg offended King Sebastian by rejecting one of the Portuguese Infantas as a daughter-in-law in favor of the Queen of Navarre. Seeing his daughter as a more high-ranking princess than her first cousin, Catherine of Valois, Sebastian allied himself to Charles Emmanuel, promising military and financial support in his quest for Milan.

Catarina, now known as Caterina, arrived in Savoy on 7, August 1582 at the age of thirteen. With her, she brought a hefty dowry of 500,000 cruzados, more than enough to pay for the upcoming war, alongside expensive jewelry that she inherited from her grandmother and namesake, Catherine de’ Medici. Her first impression of Charles Emmanuel, who was short and hunchbacked, was not favorable. Catarina was very beautiful, having inherited her mother’s dark brown hair and her father’s light blue eyes, and described as being tall, with perfect white skin. In a letter to King Sebastian, she questioned his feelings for her, “Your Majesty often told me that you loved me, and I wonder now how much of that is caring, for the husband that the King has chosen doesn’t seem worthy of a Portuguese Infanta.”

More hurtful was the fact that Charles Emmanuel had a mistress at the time of the wedding, who was installed in quarters near his own at the Castle of Rivoli in Piedmont. Maria Marchiori often disrespected the new Duchess, something that Charles Emmanuel largely ignored.

Regardless of Catherine’s feelings towards the match, the marriage was consummated immediately, and she was pregnant before the end of the year. As her husband and father planned an invasion of Milan, she gave birth to her first child on 16, June 1583. The baby was a girl named after her grandmothers, who were both called Margaret of Valois, or Margherita in Italian. Her godparents were her maternal grandfather and the Dowager Queen of France, Anne of Austria, who sent her a golden cup and a mother of pearl crib as a present.

71085ebc21ae27ccd024ad45ab50d6a9.jpg

Margherita de Savoy.

It was at her baptism that Sebastian’s ambassadors were introduced to Francesco I de’ Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany, who had been invited alongside his wife, Joanna of Austria. Francesco was a relative to Queen Margaret of Portugal, as her mother had been a Medici, and wished for his own alliance with Portugal against the Spanish control in the Italian peninsula. Unlike his father and predecessor, Cosimo I, Francesco de’ Medici had acted much like a vassal to the Habsburgs and wished to stop that.

Why Sebastian agreed is still unknown. At the time of his accession to the throne, three of his immediate ancestors (father, grandfather, and great-grandfather) had married the daughters of a Spanish monarch, and many expected he would do the same. In fact, only Philip’s failure to produce children with his second wife, Mary I of England, prevented this arrangement. Because of this, many at court weren’t surprised when the negotiations started for Infanta Catarina to marry Infante Felipe, Prince of Asturias. In fact, most were also offended alongside the King when Philip of Spain chose Catherine Valois instead, although the marriage could have led to a Spaniard inheriting the Portuguese throne in the future.

Perhaps Sebastian wished to weaken his uncle, or even hoped to strain the relations in the two countries to prevent another marriage between the two families. Historians often debate as to whether he was influenced heavily by his wife, Margaret of France, and his uncle, Infante-Cardinal Henrique, who were both anti-Spanish. If that was true, the death of Margaret’s rival, Catherine of Austria in 1582 of cancer certainly helped things.

Despite his mysterious reasons, Sebastian agreed to ally himself with Francesco de’ Medici. In late 1583, negotiations started for the betrothal of Infanta Joana to Lorenzo de’ Medici (1572), who was his father’s heir, and the betrothal between Infante Filipe, Duke of Guimarães, and Lorenzo’s younger sister, Maria de’ Medici (1575). Because of her father’s wealth, Maria was seen as an attractive match, and Sebastian was eager for an agreement that would fill the Portuguese coffers.

Negotiations were stalled, however, with the death of Infante João Manuel, Prince of Portugal. João Manuel died on 24, February 1584 of smallpox, devastating his parents who, unlike most of their counterparts, were known to be loving and devoted to their children. Her son’s death so hurt Queen Margaret that she fainted during his funeral, and the Venetian ambassador was advised not to offer his condolences "because she cannot bear to have it mentioned”.

Portrait-of-Isabella-de-Medici-Orsini-with-her-son-Virginio-by-Alessandro-Allori-1574.jpg

Queen Margaret of Portugal and her son Infante John Manuel, Prince of Portugal by Alessandro Allori.

João was seen as the hope of the dying Avis dynasty and was clever and religiously devoted. He knew how to speak Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Latin, and was very mathematically gifted. Unlike his father, however, João was not fond of horses, after a childhood incident where he was bitten by one of the stable mares when attempting to feed her an apple. Letters found in 1987 show that King Sebastian and Queen Mary were discussing a possible engagement between John and Princess Mary Margaret, with the knowledge that Mary Margaret’s half-uncle and fiancé James Stewart would “be dealt with”.

As Infante Filipe, aged nine was now the new heir to the throne, Francesco de’ Medici was more willing to pay Sebastian’s desired amount to see his daughter as Queen. It was decided at the end of the year that Maria de’ Medici would bring with her a dowry of 800,000 cruzados and the cancellation of all debts contracted by the Portuguese crown with the Medici Bank. More importantly, Infanta Joana’s dowry to her marriage with Lorenzo de’ Medici would be paid in the form of extensive military support in whatever war the Grand Duke of Tuscany wished to fight against Spain for the next fifteen years.

800px-M_de_M%C3%A9dicis_jeune.jpg
bc587401514b9370adb8592e9cc8cb8c.png

Maria de' Medici and Infanta Joana of Portugal.

This alliance between Portugal and the rulers of Tuscany and Milan against Spain would later be known as the Triple Alliance. Although Tuscany and Milan would never be official allies, Francis and Charles Emmanuel signed a pact of non-aggression in early 1584, and there were talks of a future union between their two families.

At the time of the signing of the Triple Alliance, King Philip II of Spain was at war against France for the Kingdom of Navarre. Since 1575, Navarre had been, with some interruptions, under the military control of France. It was planned that Queen Catherine’s heir, a daughter also called Catherine, would marry her first cousin, Henri III of France, and unite the two thrones. These plans were prevented by Queen Catherine’s escape from France in 1580, however, and the kidnapping of Catherine Valois by Spanish forces. Catherine, as the new Queen of Navarre, was betrothed to Infante Felipe, Prince of Asturias, giving a claim for King Philip to invade his family’s long-time enemies.

Twenty thousand Spaniards invaded France through the two openings around the Pyrenees in 1582. The troops, wearing the Navarrese coat of arms, were welcomed by the citizens of Pau, as they had long despised the French for their invasion. The Duke of Alba, through the use of translators, made a speech praising the Navarrese for their strength and resilience. He also claimed that, with the future marriage of Queen Catherine to Infante Felipe, they would once again be allowed to return to their ancestral lands in Spain.

This pleased the habitants and another thousand pledged their lives to the Spanish army. Three days after the peaceful taking of Pau, seven thousand Spaniards met with the five thousand-strong regiments of the Duke of Alençon, who had gathered them after the Massacre at Pau. The Battle of Carcassone lasted for three days and ended with a Spanish victory and the capture of the Duke of Alençon, Queen Catherine’s father.

Two more battles would follow before the first attempt of peace. In the first battle, which occurred during Philip’s attempt to conquer the Dukedom of Albret, one of the french inheritances that Navarrese monarchs gained through marriages, ended in a draw. The second battled gave victory to the Spanish once more.

Seeing the upcoming defeat, Dowager Queen Anne, regent of France in the name of her young son, Henri III, worked to reach a peace treaty with her brother-in-law, Philip II. Elisabeth of Austria, the wife of King Philip, managed to convince her husband to agree to a meeting in a neutral environment. Reportedly, she begged for peace in the name of her infant son, Fernando, who was born on 17 November 1582.

The two Queens, Elisabeth and Anne, met as proxies to their kings on 14, July 1583 in Bordeaux, Aquitaine. As a show of trust in her sister, Elisabeth brought her three-year-old daughter Infanta Juana along, where the young princess met her aunt, being the only child of her mother to do so. Having been given permission by her husband, Elisabeth, over the course of three days, convinced her sister to a peace treaty. The Treaty of Sisters, as it became known, included:

• French troops would leave the traditional lands of Upper Navarre;
  • The traditional lands of Upper Navarre would once again owe their allegiance to the ruler of Navarre;
  • The Duchy of Albret and all its lands would revert back to the French crown;
  • King Henri III abdicated any claim he and his descendants might have over Navarre;
  • France and Spain wouldn’t attack or declare war on each other for twenty years;
  • Henri III would accept the marriage between Queen Catherine and Infante Felipe;
  • Henri III would be formally betrothed to Infanta María Leonor;
  • Infanta María Leonor would be sent to the French court to be raised alongside her future husband under the custody of Queen Anne of Austria;

The Treaty was signed and the ten-year-old Infanta María Leonor was handed over to the French, who would call her Marie Aliénor d’Autriche. Despite her young age, Mary Eleanor was immediately married to her first cousin, King Henry III, aged twelve, and crowned Queen of France. Reportedly, this was made by Queen Anne to prevent her brother-in-law from taking his daughter back. Although she spoke little French, the two children became very close over the following months, a prelude to their long and happy marriage.

Follower-of-Francesco-Salviati-del-Rossi-Portrait-of-a-Lady.jpg

Queen Marie Aliénor of France.

When King Philip II of Spain returned to his court, he focused on the marriage of his two oldest daughters. Infanta Catalina was sent to her new husband, James Stuart, in September 1583, an occasion that brought both joy and sadness to her father, who was heard remarking “The last time a Catalina left these lands, she didn’t lead a happy life. I pray that my daughter will be different than my great-aunt.”

Infanta Isabel, on the other hand, had been betrothed to her cousin Rudolf since the age of two. When Rudolf died in 1575, many expected his younger brother, Ernest, to fulfill the betrothal as the new heir to Austria. Ernest Habsburg surprised everyone, however, with his marriage to the Lady Elizabeth Bathóry on 1st January 1582. Ernest had been crowned Emperor just two months earlier and so, Elizabeth became Empress immediately.

The reasons for Emperor Ernest to wed the young Hungarian noblewoman are unknown. At the time, Erzsébet had been widowed since the age of sixteen after her first husband, Count Ferenc II Nádasdy, died during the Hungarian wars. As the couple was childless, most of Ferenc’s large possessions were inherited by other family members, but Elizabeth managed to retain many of her own lands and some that Ferenc willed it to her, which included the impressive Catchtice Castle. Because of this, Elizabeth was a very rich young woman, and Ernest, as the King of Hungary, owed her a lot of money (described as a fortune, by Elizabeth herself). It’s possible that Elizabeth agreed to forget the debt in return for Ernest marrying her and, since she was still capable of bearing children — she was twenty-one —, he agreed.

Philip was offended by the marriage and the Spanish ambassador was suspiciously absent from all the celebrations, which lasted two years and cost over a million guldens. Fourteen-year-old Infanta Isabella, however, wasn’t hurt by this and wrote a letter to her cousin congratulating him. At her own suggestion, Isabella was betrothed to William Wittelsbach (1569), heir to the Duchy of Bavaria, and married him in late 1584.

It was during the farewell ceremony to Infanta Isabel that the declarations of war of both Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy, and Francesco I, Grand Duke of Tuscany arrived. Francesco invaded Sardinia, an island under Spanish control since the thirteenth century, with fifteen thousand troops, while Charles Emmanuel laid siege to Milan with twenty thousand mercenaries. Since both territories had been taken by surprise, the locals were unable to defend themselves, quickly falling under the enemy’s control.

But what happened at the same time as this was more important. Under the cover of the night, a fleet of forty warships entered Spanish waters, attacking and burning most of the Spanish Armada. As Spain had been weakened by its war against France, the attack stopped any army from coming into Sardinia and severely delayed a possible relief to the Milanese. Philip II was more shocked, however, upon learning that the ships that attacked his own bore the five silver bezants and the seven towers known as the Portuguese coat of arms. Betrayed by his nephew and neighbors, the King would retire to his chambers for a month as his councilors and Queen prepared the army for an offense.

Whatever the cost, they were determined to retake the lands lost to the Triple Alliance, and the year 1585 began with most of southern Europe at war.

Loutherbourg-Spanish_Armada.jpg

The Burning of the Spanish Armada.

Last edited:
this chapter was very taxing to me in that I often had to check my notes and had many MANY pages open during my writing session. my fingers are hurting with how much I typed :(

She isnt a serial killer yet!!! Or maybe will never be, in this universe!
Good point! The Holy Roman Empress would have a ton more people around her at all times then she had OTL. So, she'd display those traits in other ways. If you want anyone to bounce ideas off, my first major was criminal justice and I've always spent too much time on serial killers.

Good point! The Holy Roman Empress would have a ton more people around her at all times then she had OTL. So, she'd display those traits in other ways. If you want anyone to bounce ideas off, my first major was criminal justice and I've always spent too much time on serial killers.
Yeah, I mean her first known, and confirmed, fatality happened when she was 24. Since she's 21 at her second marriage, she could just never kill anyone.

I'm so happy to see Maria Leonor and Henri III have a long and happy marriage - so many Spanish infantas became miserable French queens OTL, it's nice to see one win for a change!

Also major points to Infanta Isabel for choosing her own husband!

Another amazing update, with a fabulous understanding of your players, as always! Cannot wait to read the next chapter!