AU Fiction: CFL-USA - A different telling.

Do CFL first and them the NFL europe, both might overload yourself, one at the time buddy

Probably should do that first. I will update the NFL Europe stuff on the offseason thing report. But doing two leagues might be too much right now.

I will upload the 1995 season as soon as I can.

The question will be whether the Stallions get a new stadium or if they're still playing at the since demolished Memorial Stadium.
Baltimore did make the TCM stadium OTL very easy...maybe a smallet TCM later on when stallions become a sucess?

Before Irsay throw a fit, the whole plan was to make that a sports complex, so yeah in the same place
It would be interesting down the road to see if the Stallions manage to indirectly benefit the Preakness and Pimlico, the fate(s) of which have been in the news as of late in Maryland.

I will try to post the 1995 season hopefully today at the time I am writing this I'm 2/3 done. Baltimore and Cleveland's situation have been somewhat a mixed bag. One hand I did play out the idea of Cleveland moving to Baltimore and Stallions moving to Cleveland. I also tried the other way and it not bad either. May do a coin flip on this one.

-edit- I usually think out the story in my head in advance to see how I like it. Like a movie director or screenwriter. I will do my best to see how I can make this work.

Chapter 6 - CFL 1995 Season
1995 CFL Season

1995 Standings

Eastern Division:
  1. Ottawa Rough Riders​
  2. Toronto Argonauts​
  3. Hartford Knights​
  4. Birmingham Fire​
  5. Hamilton Tiger-Cats​
  6. Montreal Alouettes​
  7. Orlando Thunder
Western Division:
  1. Edmonton Eskimos​
  2. Sacramento Miners​
  3. BC Lions​
  4. Calgary Stampeders​
  5. Saskatchewan Roughriders​
  6. Winnipeg Blue Bombers​
  7. San Antonio Texans
The 1995 CFL season started with the announcement that an Investment group in Shreveport, led by Jamie Howard, was granted the franchise over Portland. Oregan. The team was dubbed the Pirates and will debut in Independence Stadium in Shreveport, Louisiana for the 1996 season. Meanwhile, rumors of the Baltimore team being dubbed the Colts died in a courtroom as the NFL held on to the name. The team changed its name to the Stallions to avoid confusion.

The Eastern Division has been the resurgence of the Ottawa Rough Riders. Since 1993, they continue to be the top team of the CFL East. Toronto, who debut a new logo and uniforms during the offseason, made a big impression and capture second place. In a surprise placement in the East standings, the Hartford Knights found their first playoff berth in the CFL since joining. Birmingham captures fourth but had a rocky start, the managed to stay on top of Hamilton who by week 15 was in fourth place until two losses kick them back to fifth. Montreal also fell from grace as they would win their last 3 games to top Orlando in the standings. The Alouettes would also say goodbye to Olympus Stadium as they will move to Molson Stadium for the 1996 season.

With the Western Division. It was a tight race to say at least. The Eskimos managed to grab the first place midway through the season. Sacramento managed to hold on and so did a revived BC Lions and Calgary Stampeders. In a shocking turn of events, San Antonio would fall from grace and lad themselves last place in the West. Coach Mike Riley was let go after the end of the season after a falling out with management.

1995 Playoffs

Eastern Semi-finals:

Hartford Knights vs Toronto Argonauts:​

Toronto Argos had the better record but this season they lost all the regular season matchups with the Knights. Here proved to be the case as well. Hartford hit hard and it showed, despite a strong show by QB Robert Dougherty, Hartford managed to win with confidence.

Hartford 24 - Toronto 07

Birmingham Fire vs Ottawa Rough Riders
The fans jammed pack Frank Claire Stadium in droves in support of their 1993 Grey Cup champs. Birmingham, who had a taste of the Grey Cup finals, wanted more. It was an all-out affair and it showed. Despite this, Birmingham would survive the shootout. Despite the loss, the Rough Riders now had a bigger problem and it would rear its head during the offseason.

Birmingham 34 - Ottawa 27

--------

Western Semi-finals

Calgary Stampeders vs Edmonton Eskimos
Despite Calgary best effort to remain in the game. the Eskimos were just too much and ended the hopes and dreams of the Stampeders in front of a sold-out Commonwealth Stadium.

Calgary 13 - Edmonton 34

BC Lions vs Sacramento Miners
In a surprising good contest, BC would win its first playoff game in years as they finished off the Miners in a close battle. The last point was a rouge given to the Miners.

BC Lions 17 - Sacramento 15

--------

Eastern Finals

Birmingham Fire vs Hartford Knights

Attendance: 15,000

Broadcast: CBC (Canada), CBS (USA)
The city of Hartford was on fire to see the Knights make it to the first All-American CFL Eastern Finals. Despite the high regards, the stadium was showing its age badly. Memorial Stadium was built in 1962 as a College Football Stadium first and it showed here with CBS and CBC having issues showcasing the game. Even the fans wanted more and carried signs calling for a new stadium for Hartford. Despite the stadium shortcomings, the game itself was a battle of the run and shoot style and the air raid style of both Birmingham and Hartford respectively. However, Fire QB Matt Dunigan would prove to be a valuable weapon for the team and would help Birmingham scripture their second East Division title.

Birmingham 41 - Hartford 31

--------

Western Finals

BC Lions vs Edmonton Eskimos

Commonwealth Stadium

Attendance: 42,388

Broadcast: CBC (Canada), CBS (USA)​

Despite much hype the BC Lions had during the lead up to the game was for not. Edmonton pretty much exploited their defense and put the end to BC chances to the Grey Cup. Setting up the stage for a rematch.

BC Lions 10 - Edmonton 36

---------------

83rd CFL Grey Cup

November 19, 1995

Birmingham Fire vs Edmonton Eskimos

Taylor Field

Attendance: 52,064

Broadcast: CBC (Canada), CBS (USA)
Here was a rematch that many thought wouldn't happen again. The Eskimos and the Fire battling once again for the CFL trophy. While Edmonton was the likely favorites to come back, Birmingham was the underdog team coming in. And just like before, it was a battle of good offense and good defense. Despite the closeness of the game. which by the fourth quarter was still tied 7-7, the game could have gone either way. Despite this, Birmingham made a new star for the CFL. During the second play of the quarter, QB Matt Dunigan was hit hard by an opposing player and left the game due to a broken leg.

In his place was Reggie Slack, who was a journeyman player who was picked up by Birmingham before the season started. Despite being rusty for a bit. he would help his team get to the 10-yard line of the Eskimos before scoring a touchdown to make it a 14-7 game. The Eskimos tried to tie this game up but by the end of the quarter. Reggie Slack became a legend in both Birmingham and in the CFL as he helps the Fire capture the CFL Grey Cup. The Birmingham Fire became the first CFL US Grey Cup Champions. Reggie was then rewarded MVP for the win.

Birmingham 14 - Edmonton 07​

Birmingham win over the Eskimos became the most watch CFL moment in the United States. The rating for the fourth quarter was higher than the first two championship games broadcast on CBS since their start two years prior.

CFL was finally on cloud nine and the CFL would announce they were getting ready for the expansion draft for their two teams. However, a problem happened. The NFL Cleveland Browns announced out of nowhere they would relocate to Baltimore and become the Ravens. Out of nowhere the city of Cleveland and the CFL was thrown under the bus. And the CFL would have to deal with it head-on.

CFL was finally on cloud nine and the CFL would announce they were getting ready for the expansion draft for their two teams. However, a problem happened. The NFL Cleveland Browns announced out of nowhere they would relocate to Baltimore and become the Ravens. Out of nowhere the city of Cleveland and the CFL was thrown under the bus. And the CFL would have to deal with it head-on.
A shame, seems they preempted the Stallion, a shame... still amazing season, the game were amazing, even if the grey cup ended a slugfest, the playoffs were fun, congrats fire on your grey cup

Chapter 7 - 1995-96 Offseason Report
CFL 1995-96 Offseason Report
Part 1

News spread around the North American sports scene. NFL long-standing franchise Cleveland Browns are relocation to Baltimore for the 1996 NFL Season. Apparently, Browns owner, Art Modell announced it before the end of the regular season. Sports insiders called out the NFL for doing this as a backstabbing stunt to hurt the CFL hype and to ruin the relationship to the people of Cleveland, Ohio. Due to this, the NFL and Art Modell and anyone associated with the plan relocation were sued by the City of Cleveland in court.

Meanwhile, the CFL was in panic mode. With this out of nowhere relocation by the NFL. they felt betrayed by the actions. They would announce after afterward that they would relocate the CFL planned franchise, Baltimore Stallions, to another city while things were still being figured out. Baltimore Stallions owner, Jim Speros, was in talks with other cities like Portland for them to host the Stallions. However, City of Cleveland mayor, Michael R. White, would contact Speros about a move to Cleveland.

CFL Commissioner, Larry Smith, would agree with the move. On January 30, 1996, the Baltimore Stallions pack up shop to Cleveland to become the Cleveland Stallions. The City of Baltimore would also add to their lawsuit against the NFL and Art Modell for the naming rights of the Browns back to the city which Art refused to.

Cleveland would be more accepting to the Stallions then in Baltimore as people felt that the CFL would keep the team in the city, unlike the NFL. Despite the age of Cleveland Stadium, it was a good site to hold the game. Even the MLB Cleveland Indians owner, Richard Jacobs, would also lend a hand and allowed the Stallions to play there if the Stadium wasn't up to standards for the CFL. Which it wasn’t. The stadium was old and was falling apart. However, plans for a new stadium, which the city agreed on before the Browns left, would be re-suited for the CFL standards.

However, another problem was rearing its ugly head. Ottawa Rough Riders owners, Bernard Glieberman and his son Louie, were losing money fast in Ottawa. Despite winning the championship in 1993, the team was in debut the last two years and 1996 was no exception. The reason was due to the NHL expansion back to Ottawa and reforming the Senators. The talked to the Larry Smith about the relocation of the team but the commissioner refused so. However, it was becoming clear to Smith they might need to relocate soon and fast.

Meanwhile, in Louisiana, the Shreveport Pirates were in a rut as well. Despite the stadium, they are using is in good shape. The city, however, was a bit smaller then what the CFL was hoping for. Not helping that the ownership group, Shreveport Sports LLC, were a bit shady to say at least. Jamie Howard, owner of both the Shreveport Sports LLC and the team, did try to rest the calm folks of Shreveport about the issues.

After the CFL Expansion Draft, which saw Shreveport Pirates scoring both OL Mike Pimisken and TE Jason Dunn from Eastern Kentucky. Meanwhile Cleveland, they really didn’t many players as they managed to keep some players from the Browns relocation who didn’t want to play in Baltimore. They did sign S Eric Austin from Jackson State to help their defense which was struggling hard in the Browns last season.

Teams for the 1996 CFL Season:

Eastern Division:
Cleveland Stallions*
Ottawa Rough Riders
Hartford Knights
Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Orlando Thunder
Montreal Alouettes
Birmingham Fire
Toronto Argonauts

Western Division:
Shreveport Pirates*
San Antonio Texans
Saskatchewan Roughriders
BC Lions
Edmonton Eskimos
Calgary Stampeders
Sacramento Miners
Winnipeg Blue Bombers

* = Expansion teams for 1996

-Probably do the news around the NFL and such as a different post for now on. Look forward to and have a grey day.-​

Man, as if the XFL didn't have enough problems...
Oh trust me, the will get worse for people in the CFL. But that's growing pains with expansion to another country. This time line doesn't have the money crisis Canada faced in RL.

As for the XFL. They will still show up as well. And oh boy, it will be a heck of a show. But you be surprise how it starts up.

BTW, what you guys think of the story so far? I'm trying my best to tell a good story so I'm glad people are liking it. Anything I could do to help it or go onward the way I am doing it?

Did the Alouettes still go under in 82? If so, how did they survive folding later on?
They did but the Alouettes that folded in 1987 was the Concordes that played after the first Alouettes folded. The new team was the Montreal Machine of the original WLAF. They asked the CFL (who owned the Alouettes property) to use it for their debut for the CFL in 1993.

It a bit confusing but that how it goes.

-edit- The first Alouettes folded the same way like in real life. My story started in late 1992. Before it is pretty much the same way as it is in real life. Afterwards it a brand new ballgame.

Last edited:
@TheMatthew25 in the timeline, is the CFL looking at further expansion in Canada? Like the Maritimes (the long-discussed Atlantic franchise), and/or another city like London; Niagara; Quebec City; or Victoria?

Portland might be a good place for the league, but if I owned a team there I'd make sure I had approval and financing to build a stadium first.

Other potential US franchise sites: Louisville (yeah, I'm biased), Oklahoma City, Boise, Salt Lake City, Omaha, Grand Rapids, Des Moines -- mid-sized (at the time) cities where the sport could potentially establish itself and flourish.

I doubt we will get XFL, the whole idea was to give mcmahon to buy a CFL team when the CFL was struggling but expanded into the spring league when NBC loss the rights for SNF to ESPN, so maybe that is butterfly away

Seems the CFL finally feel the growing pains, hope they can stabilize soon.