Astronaut Hillary Rodham

Who should be the 1992 Democratic VP nominee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Perot Announces
ROSS PEROT WILL RUN FOR PRESIDENT
March 10, 1992
190709102004-01-ross-perot-file-exlarge-169.jpg

Texas billionaire Ross Perot has announced he will make an independent bid for the White House in 1992. He announced his bid on Larry King Tonight. He is an outsider to be sure, with positions like opposing NAFTA and supporting Term limits. Voters however, are very open to a third party bid this season, polling suggests.

BROWN PULLS OFF WINS IN ILLINOIS, MICHIGAN
March 17, 1992
jerry-brown-runs-for-the-office-of-us-president-suported-by-angela-BPRNBB.jpg
Results:
Illinois:
Brown-33
Tsongas-31
Kerrey-27
Uncommitted-4
Michigan:
Brown-34
Tsongas-33
Kerrey-25
Uncommitted-4

POLLS SHOW BUSH LEADS BY NEARLY TWENTY POINTS OVER BROWN, TSONGAS, LEADS NEARLY THIRTY POINTS OVER KERREY
March 18, 1992
bob-kerreyformer-governor-of-nebraska-1992a8667credit-image-adam-scullglobe-DT0FA5.jpg

A new poll taken showed that Bush had over 40 pecent of the vote against Jerry Brown and Paul Tsongas. He had the majority with Bob Kerrey as the nominee. Ross PErot also has very strong numbers for a third party candidate.
With Brown:
Bush-45
Brown-28
Perot-20
With Tsongas:
Bush-45
Perot-24
Tsongas-24
With Kerrey:
Bush-49
Perot-24
Kerrey-20

TSONGAS TAKES DEMOCRATS ABROAD AND NORTH DAKOTA
March 19, 1992
Paul%20Tsongas%20at%20DePauw%201.jpg
Results:
Democrats Abroad:
Tsongas-64
Kerrey-7
Uncommitted-12
North Dakota:
Tsongas-26
Uncommitted-24
Kerrey-19
Brown-18

KERREY DROPS OUT
March 28, 1992
5880f1c68b2e85c654ea9d30_bob-kerrey.jpg

Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey dropped out today. He initially gained much traction from Bill Clinton's high profile endorsement. His campaign was expected to end after new polls showed him losing to President Bush badly. His loss in North Dakota also contributed to his drop-out.

PEROT ANNOUNCES ADMIRAL JAMES STOCKDALE AS INTERIM RUNNING MATE
March 30, 1992
220px-US_Navy_050706-N-0000X-001_Vice_Admiral_James_B._Stockdale.jpg

Brown is Nominee
BROWN TAKES CONNECTICUT
jbrown3.jpg

March 24, 1992
Former California governor Jerry Brown pulled off a surprise win in the Connecticut primary today. His campaign has earned the trust of voters in the state with his different way of campaign fundraising. Paul Tsongas was the favorite to win the state considering Massachusetts
Results
Brown-45
Tsongas-43
Uncommitted-11

BROWN GETS ANOTHER BIG WIN IN VERMONT
http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F36804ee8-9cdc-11e2-9a4b-00144feabdc0

March 31st, 1992
Results
Brown-54
Tsongas-20
Uncommitted-25

TSONGAS CAMPAIGN IN SERIOUS TROUBLE AFTER BROWN WINS ALASKA
jerry-brown-during-jerry-brown-at-the-ritz-1992-at-the-ritz-in-new-picture-id115313078

April 2nd, 1992
Results
Brown-48
Tsongas-16
Uncomitted-35

AT DEBATE, BROWN ATTACKS TSONGAS ON FISCAL RECORD
hqdefault.jpg

April 3rd, 1992
At the CNN Democratic debate in Dayton, Ohio, former California Governor Jerry Brown and former Massachusetts Senator Paul Tsongas got into a heated exchange regarding each other's economic policies. Most pundits have declared Brown the winner of the exchange.
BROWN: "You know, I'm not sure why Democrats would vote for someone who is basically a Republican when it comes to financial issues!" TSONGAS: "You know Jerry, you talk a big game about how liberal you are but you just seem to say anything to appeal to either side of the aisle. I'm the one on this stage who is fiscally responsible and can end this unemployment crisis." BROWN: "Look folks, what Senator Tsongas is saying is that to fix George Bush's mess, we should have the same policies as him. If we keeps going down into this rut, we will never get out of it."

PUERTO RICO GOES TO BROWN
April 5th, 1992
l40wy5-b78652424z.120100614142642000gqhosqe3.1.jpg
Results
Brown-65
Tsongas-32

JERRY BROWN, VOWING TO EXPAND SPACE PROGRAM GETS ENDORSEMENT FROM HILLARY RODHAM
April 6, 1992
images

BROWN CARRIES ALL FOUR PRIMARY STATES TODAY
April 7, 1992
Results
New York:
Brown-49
Tsongas-47
Wisconsin:
Brown-53
Tsongas-49
Minnesota:
Brown-46
Tsongas-36
Kansas:
Brown-41
Tsongas--37

TSONGAS DROPS OUT, BROWN PRESUMPTIVE NOMINEE
April 8, 1992
tsongas5-850x478.jpeg

After losing all four of the primaries held today, former Senator Paul Tsongas of Massachusetts dropped out of the Democratic presidential race. In his final campaign message Tsongas said, "Now is not the time for divisiveness in the party, we need to rally around Jerry Brown as the nominee." Brown thanked Tsongas for his support and asked his supporters to listen to Tsongas's words of unity

BUSH APPROVAL RATING PLUMMETING TO 39%, UNEMPLOYMENT AT 6.6%
April 10, 1992
AP_9101160183-1543671715.jpg

POLLS SHOW BROWN CATCHING UP, PEROT LOSING SUPPORT AFTER INTIAL BUMP
April 18, 1992
Ross%2BPerot.jpg

Last edited:
Excerpt from Texas Senator Hillary Rodham's 2019 memoir, When I Served:
"I enrolled at Purdue in 1969. I majored in biological science. During my time there I stayed politically active, campaigning for McGovern and Carter. I did well in my classes and graduated in 1977. In 1978 I was one of the first women selected to be able to join NASA."
AFAIK astronauts required (near?) perfect eyesight, how could she qualify?
a866c41f-2474-4aba-b668-39c35155e120.jpg

Excerpt from Texas Senator Hillary Rodham's 2019 memoir, When I Served:
"I enrolled at Purdue in 1969. I majored in biological science. During my time there I stayed politically active, campaigning for McGovern and Carter. I did well in my classes and graduated in 1977. In 1978 I was one of the first women selected to be able to join NASA."
I presume she meant that she was the first woman to be selected for the astronaut program, as there were many women working at NASA since its founding.

IIRC to be a fighter pilot you needed perfect vision (and might still need to in the modern-day) so when the astronauts were fighter pilots they might have needed perfect vision, but once they sent more generalized scientists that likely stopped being an issue.

92 Conventions
BROWN REPORTEDLY LOOKING AT VP CANDIDATES
July 3rd, 1992
rev-jesse-jackson-sr-led-a-rally-for-senator-john-kerry-who-is-up-for-picture-id480667509

BROWN CHOOSES JACKSON

July 9th, 1992
reverend-jesse-jackson-california-governor-jerry-brown-and-actor-on-picture-id176794976

Brown announced Jackson as his running mate as reports about possible Vp picks swirled. Many will find this pick odd especially in the Jewish community where Jackson is somewhat hated.
BROWN SUFFERING IN POLLS AFTER JACKSON CHOICE
July 11th, 1992​
Bush-38
Perot-36
Brown-30
JACKSON GIVES ROUSING SPEECH AT DNC
July 14th, 1992
height.630.no_border.width.1200.jpg
"Its a joyous time, its justice time, its Jerry & Jesse time."-Jesse Jackson
BRADLEY GIVES KEYNOTE
July 15th, 1992
hqdefault.jpg
"George Bush has left America behind!"-Bill Bradley
BROWN ACCEPTS NOMINATION
July 16th, 1992
"Get ready America, we're giving this country back to you, the people."-Jerry Brown
PEROT DROPS OUT, ENDORSES BROWN
July 20, 1992
212087-050-0EFA8C7B.jpg
"I have realized it is not my time. But Jerry Brown understands the struggles everyday Americans feel, that is why I am endorsing him for president of the United States!"-Ross Perot
BROWN SURGES AFTER PEROT ENDORSEMENT
July 25th, 1992
Brown-48
Bush-46

REAGAN ATTACKS BROWN
August 17th, 1992
maxresdefault.jpg
"Jerry Brown did everything in his power to reverse the greatness I brought to California."-Ronald Reagan
PAT BUCHANAN DECLARES "CULTURE WAR", SAYS BROWN HOPES TO DESTROY THE FAMILY
August 18th, 1992
hqdefault.jpg

Sorry for the stunted update, I had a much more detailed one ready but I left my computer on and didn't save so in the morning the page reloaded.

The First Debate
Highlights of the first presidential debate:
Q: Governor Brown, what separates you from President Bush?

JB: Well, Chris I got a big difference for you right here and that's NAFTA. It's a deal that will fundamentally hurt the American people. That's number one. Number two is President Bush takes far more in contributions from wealthy donors than I do. Don't try and deny it, Mr. President. You are not the ally of the American people.

GB: Well I'll tell you something Governor, I'm the one who brought the cold war to an end and relieved fears of a nuclear war, when you look at that, I think that's what I've done for the American people. I'm the one who will work with Republicans and Democrats to bring about real change.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q:president Bush you have been accused of "McCarthyist attacks by many including Governor Brown, how do you respond to that?

GB: I don't think it make me a McCarthyist to be against our own citizens protesting our country on foreign soil, it's just wrong and un-american. I don't know what Governor "Moonbeam" thinks about defending our dignity on foreign soil but to me it's certainly very important.

JB: Look here folks, freedom of speech is an American value and we can't infringe on that. I detest any protesting against America but for the president to accuse me of anti-americanism goes to show the McCarthyist attacks he levels on his opponents
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: The issue of NAFTA has certainly been a hot-button debate this election cycle, President Bush you support it, and Governor Brown you are against it, would you care to clarify your arguments?

GB: Governor Brown has endlessly spouted lies about this agreement, it will be good for American, Mexican and Canadian workers. This free trade agreement will open up diplomacy and business opportunities with our neighbors.

JB: Read it people! NAFTA will be a disaster! It won't increase jobs but it will increase illegal immigration. I had a meeting with Ross Perot about NAFTA and when he read off a list of issues, I was shocked. He put it this way: If the president signs NAFTA, it will lead to a giant sucking sound going south. And that's a businessman talking there people.

PAT BUCHANAN DECLARES "CULTURE WAR", SAYS BROWN HOPES TO DESTROY THE FAMILY
August 18th, 1992
hqdefault.jpg

Oh s***!!!!!

With Perot endorsing Brown, if Buchanan enters the race, Bush will get pummeled into oblivion!

However, I expect him though not to run third party/independent, especially because he would do anything in his power to keep Jesse Jackson from the Number One Observatory Circle.

Last edited:
Election '92 continued
"We didn't think there was much chance of Brown winning so we thought we would just push the issues as hard as possible."
-Joe Trippi, Brown Campaign Manager, In his 2002 book, Governor Brown goes to Washington

BUSH GAFFE, "AMERICANS CAN FEEL I WILL RECOVER THEM."
October 13, 1992
AP18294060932292.jpg

BUCHANAN DECRIES BUSH, "HE IS JUST DEAD WRONG ON THE ECONOMY"
October 14, 1992

Buchanan_quote.jpg

SOUTHERN SENATE CANDIDATES SUFFERING BECAUSE OF BROWN

Southern Democratic senators are facing pushback in their home states over Jerry Brown's nomination. His more left wing ideas are extremely unpopular among southern voters and Democratic incumbent such as Fritz Hollings, Wyche Fowler and Terry Sanford are losing support due to it. When asked for comment, Senator Hollings stated, "The governor wouldn't have been my first choice for the nomination but the voters have made a decision. I think at the next debate you will see the Governor strike a chord with people all over the country who feel left out of the political system."

"It's all that damn hippie's fault."
-Overheard comment by Terry Sanford on election night 1992

VP Debate 92
Highlights of the 1992 Vice Presidential Debate:
Moderator: Welcome to the first and only Vice Presidential debate of the 1992 presidential election. Tonight debating are Vice Presidential candidates Mr. Jesse Jackson and Vice President and former Indiana senator Dan Quayle. Our First question tonight goes to Mr. Jesse Jackson. Mr. Jackson, in 1984 a controversy arose after you referred to New York City using a slur targeted at the Jewish community. You have apologized for this but why should American Jews trust that you have truly changed?
JJ: Look, it was a heated moment I thought was off the record. I would never use that word in public and I have not since that incident. I was merely venting frustrations at the Israeli government and I took it out on the American Jewish community and that was wrong. And I hope they can forgive me.
DQ: I don't think that's enough Mr. Jackson. The fact that you don't support our closest ally is clearly going to be a problem for the American people and I don't see why we should elect someone to be one heartbeat away from the presidency who doesn't support the Israeli people.
JJ:That is a mischaracterization of my views Mr. Vice President and you know it. I do not and would not have any harm come to the Israeli people. I favor a two-state solution in which both sides can coexist. We can't just support one country blindly and not ask them to do better sometimes.
(Boos and cheers from the audience.)
JJ: This is an issue in which I have a major divergence with Jerry Brown. He strongly supports it. I disagree with him but I have made peace with it. We will have an administration that will be supportive but also ask for something in return.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DQ: The financial policies of the Reagan and Bush administrations have been strong. If you look at where we were before Republicans took office, why would we ever go back to that.
JJ: It is unfortunate that you would repeat these same lying talking points about the Reagan economy. It has left most of America out! And now everyone is feeling the consequences. You created an economy that would only help those at the top! There has been no substantial reforms. Under a Brown administration, we will help poor Americans and restore power to black Americans.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DQ: Mr. Jackson is just patently unfit to be president. He is a tax and spend liberal and his experience is not sufficient enough to take over should something happen to governor Brown. His temperament would divide Americans.
JJ: Mr. Vice President, I understand what it is like to suffer. My whole family has faced suffering. I understand what Americans need. So stand with us! Make history! Together me and Jerry Brown will ease your suffering.

Brown Wins
"Well that is certainly interesting."
-Tom Brokaw, Election Night 1992
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 8.40.03 PM.png

Governor Jerry Brown/Mr. Jesse Jackson-283 EVS-47.8%PV
President George H.W Bush/Vice President Dan Quayle-255 EVS-48.9%PV

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 9.30.11 PM.png

Thomas Hartnett defeats Fritz Hollings
170px-Fritz_Hollings_press_photo%2C_color.jpg
"We were completely blown away on election night. We thought it was unlikely Jerry would win. We underestimated the effect of the economy on the voters. Exit polls showed 61% of the public saw it as their top issue. We also believe black voters played a large role. Turnout severely shot up among them and we have Jesse Jackson to thank for that. Ross Perot also deserves some credit. He campaigned on the same ideas as Jerry, made them mainstream and then allowed Jerry to take up the mantle of deliverer of those ideas."
-Joe Trippi, Brown Campaign Manager, In his 2002 book, Governor Brown goes to Washington

"Thank you America! We have fought long and hard to get to this moment, but we are finally here! We have taken our country back! So much change is coming!"
"It truly shows the progress of this nation that tonight, we have Mr. Jesse Jackson, the first African-American Vice President of the United States!"
"I want to thank George Bush for running a dignified campaign. Let us put all divisions aside, because as your president I will represent all people! All genders! All races! All political Parties!"
"America has determined it's future and it has chosen to allow the people to decide their government! Thank you and may God bless the United States of America!"
-Jerry Brown

Last edited: