Asimov's Foundation Series

I actually loved the prequel books that were were written after his death, because they fill in some holes. Where are the aliens? Daneel killed them, because the laws don't apply to them, and we need their soil.
Of course, in the End of Eternity context that's not a hole. Where are the aliens? Humans happened to be first out and crowded out or pre-empted the others, without the need for robotic xenocide.

I'm in the middle of the book Psychohistorical Crisis which is by Donald Kingsubury and is a reimagining of the universe of Foundation and takes place 1500 years after the establishment of the Second Galactic Empire. I'm *very* impressed with the book so far. It's too bad Asimov didn't get to see it.

Donald Kingsbury's version

Donald Kingsbury's version is by far the best tribute to the universe created by Asimov. :)

A friend of mine wrote a review of Psychohistorical Crisis with the AH setting that Asimov had been killed (in a thiotimoline accident) and left the Foundation series hanging until Kingsbury came along and picked up the story. It seemed to him to make more sense that the real sequels.

Of course, in the End of Eternity context that's not a hole. Where are the aliens? Humans happened to be first out and crowded out or pre-empted the others, without the need for robotic xenocide.

But End of Eternity is not part of the Foundation universe!

But End of Eternity is not part of the Foundation universe!
It is indeed entirely true that that the central story does not happen in the Foundation universe. Whether the timeline created by the events of End of Eternity is, possible or possibly not. Still, I find it more elegant an answer, and it has a clear thematic connection to a story that definitely does take place in a reality very much like the Foundation universe.

It is indeed entirely true that that the central story does not happen in the Foundation universe. Whether the timeline created by the events of End of Eternity is, possible or possibly not. Still, I find it more elegant an answer, and it has a clear thematic connection to a story that definitely does take place in a reality very much like the Foundation universe.

Really? It has been a long time since I have read it, but I remember that the perfect TL being created had humans stay on Earth, while in the end it basicly became OTL.

No Robots, Aliens, etc... I really think it is a differnt universe...

Really? It has been a long time since I have read it, but I remember that the perfect TL being created had humans stay on Earth, while in the end it basicly became OTL.

Yes OTL, which led into the Galactic Empire.

Also, I feel the need to point out again, aliens DID exist in the Galactic Empire. There was only one known species, but they were still there.

The Eternity timeline had humans stay on Earth, hence 'the central story does not happen in the Foundation universe', the absence of robots from it is easily explained by the central conceit of temporal manipulation including (explicitly and shown!) removing inventions, and while it led to something to OTL... it also alluded to OTL leading to something like Galactic Empire. Aliens aren't an issue, the sheer time-span gives plenty of time for humans to do to other species in the Foundation timeline what other species did in the Eternity timeline - especially since we see just that happen in Blind Alley!

Yes OTL, which led into the Galactic Empire.

Also, I feel the need to point out again, aliens DID exist in the Galactic Empire. There was only one known species, but they were still there.

I must have missed that story, it wasn't part of that 10 Volumne Foundation edition that I got from the library. And it explicitly stated in the foreword that other works by Asimov, especially the end of eternety where not part of that universe.

But well, it doesn't matter that much.

The Battletech universe although has 2 species of intelligent aliens, but they are only on the sideline, not part of the main story!

I must have missed that story, it wasn't part of that 10 Volumne Foundation edition that I got from the library. And it explicitly stated in the foreword that other works by Asimov, especially the end of eternety where not part of that universe.

Blind Alley is part of the Foundationverse, what with explicit mentions to the Galactic Empire, Trantor and whatnot. Possibly even an Encyclopedia Galactica entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Alley

Blind Alley is part of the Foundationverse, what with explicit mentions to the Galactic Empire, Trantor and whatnot. Possibly even an Encyclopedia Galactica entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Alley

I will march on Munich then and burn Heyne (they published it in German)to the ground for lying to me about something so important. Don't mess with the Foundation!!! ;)

Now I can see the reference in Foundation's triumph! I had always thought that the explanation why there are no aliens in the galaxy was clever but far fetched...

I think the main problem would be that Asimov didn't for the most part outright state what was connected to what... which makes for a very uncertain verse since some stories that refer to the same things clearly do not seem take place in the same verse (or, at least, the same timeline, for a broad view of verse).

No. Foundation's Edge strongly hinted that End of Eternity was the Foundation-verse - the Gaians believe that the Eternals are responsible for the lack of aliens in the Galaxy - and the end of End of Eternity says that the new TL that they create will lead to a Galactic Empire.