As Dreamers Do Part Deux

Entertainment News for Early November 2007

After being out of print since the early 1990's, Universal Studios confirms that its ambitious 1988 animated film Born to Rock n' Roll (aka The Time Lord), based on Dave Clark's musical Time, will receive a DVD/Bluray/VHS release from Limited Run.
- Billboard
Cool.
The BBC will review whether its existing partnership with Paramount Pictures would trigger any antitrust concerns under the laws of both the United States and Great Britain. This comes amid recent developments of Paramount's proposed merger with Turner Broadcasting System under the TBS-Paramount banner.
- BBC News
Okay, good luck with that.
If the DOJ approves the TBS-Paramount merger, Universal and King Features hope to reach a restructured deal with the combined entity for continued use of Popeye in future installments of the King Features shared universe. Popeye the Sailor Man opens in May of 2008 with AEW superstar John Cena playing the titular role.
- Variety
Let it happen, please let it happen!
One condition that Microsoft could face on the road to merging Paramount with Turner Broadcasting is they would be legally prohibited by the FCC from using TBS or Paramount properties as leverage to limit access to said content by Microsoft competitors like Linux or Commodore.
- PBS NewsHour
Okay.
PepsiCo and Disney reach a deal for Taco Bell and Mountain Dew tie-ins with Disney's English translation of Naruto.
- CNBC
Nice!
Kurt Cobain teases a possible Nirvana reunion after reports of Soundgarden's plans to reunite with a new album deal with Legendary Records.
- MTV News
Not a big Nirvana fan, but that would be something!
The Sports Page
In San Diego, the Sempra Energy Center, home to the NBA's Clippers and NHL's Mighty Ducks since 1996, becomes the world's first sensory inclusive sports venue. New upgrades include underutilized luxury suites now converted to sensory rooms with a view of the game. Also new to the venue are booths where fans can pick up free sensory kits which include an activity book, a pair of ear muffs and soft toys to help mitigate overstimulation. Tiffany Disney, chairwoman of the Mighty Ducks since 2005, was diagnosed in July of '88 with Asperger's syndrome.
- ESPN
I approve!
The state of Arizona's championship streak ends as the Boston Red Sox defeat the Arizona Diamondbacks 4-1 in the 2007 World Series.
- NBC Sports
Well, nothing lasts forever. Guess the Red Sox are somewhat of a dynasty ITTL.
The future of WCW is uncertain as Ted Turner and Bill Gates both await the Justice Department's approval of the TBS-Paramount merger.
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated
Don’t give two sh-ts about wrestling whatsoever.

It's Official! (November 2007)
November 17, 2007

CNN Breaking News: DOJ Approves TBS-Paramount merger; Turner sports assets to be spun off

Today, the Department of Justice has approved Microsoft's efforts to merge its existing Paramount assets with those of Turner Broadcasting System to form a newly combined conglomerate which will be known as TBS Paramount.

As a condition for the approval of this merger, Turner Broadcasting must divest all three professional sports franchises that were acquired by founder Ted Turner in decades past. Also to be divested from Turner are World Championship Wrestling (WCW) and the Goodwill Games. On Paramount's end of this merger, they must divest its North American rights to intellectual properties controlled by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).

Another condition in the approval of this merger is for TBS Paramount to make the appropriate accomodations to allow King Features Syndicate and Peacock subsidiary Universal Studios to continue using the Popeye franchise as part of a long-term series of theatrical films planned years in advance by both King Features and Universal. Turner's rights to Popeye since the early 1990's extend to the use of the Popeye characters in theme park attractions, as well as the library of theatrical cartoons produced by Fleischer-Terry and later Famous Studios from 1933 until the late Fifties.

November 21, 2007

NHL Commissioner Wayne Gretzky quickly announces the Board of Governors' approval of Jerry Bruckheimer's bid to acquire the Atlanta Flames. An NHL insider said the key swing votes to approve Bruck's bid came from Oilers part-owner Todd McFarlane, Silver Knights owner Gavin Maloof, Kings part-owner Michael Eisner and Mighty Ducks owner Tiffany Disney.
- Bill Pidto; Nissan Intermission Report on SBC Wednesday Night Hockey

November 26, 2007

Henson CEO Bob Iger has been invited to join a private equity firm interested in buying WCW and the Goodwill Games, both of which are being divested by Turner Broadcasting as a condition for their merger with Paramount. Iger says ESPN and ABC have the full capability and capacity to cover both.
- The New York Times

MLB offseason news: Liberty Media hopes to acquire the Atlanta Hammers before spring training.
- Bob Costas; NBC Sports

Stan Kasten joins a 50/50 partnership with Falcons owner Arthur Blank in a bid to buy the Hawks. Kasten previously served as the team's representative on the NBA Board of Governors under Ted Turner's ownership. Now that Turner is acquired to divest the Hawks as part of the TBS Paramount merger, Kasten is now making a bid to buy the team himself.
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Um who's Rachel Abbott Stone?
She's an OC for this thread.

Rachel Amy Stone
DOB: 2/3/1961 in Baltimore, MD

Married Daniel Terrence Abbott in 1986.

Neice Rebecca Sugar born on July 9, 1987
Son Daniel Richard Abbot born on January 30, 1988.
Daughter Alyssa Chloe Abbott born on March 9, 1993.

Shin-chan will be a New Line series but it hasn't reached the states yet.
w-wait... i thought it DID reach the States?

I could have sworn I remember seeing it on a SATAM block somewhere!

But in all seriousness, I do rather enjoy that Toonami block you have given me.

Say, since Disney is willing to share their shows more ITTL, you should consider having a few Marvel series on Toonami and/or Miguzi and/or ASACTN

Jersey suppliers as of November 2007

MLB

Caps supplied by New Era
Uniforms supplied by Russell Athletic, Majestic, Mitchell and Ness and Rawlings.
Footwear supplied by Nike, Adidas, Converse, Mizuno, Vans and New Balance.

Russell AthleticMajesticMitchell and NessRawlings
Padres
Astros
Cardinals
Dodgers
Yankees
White Sox
Devil Rays
Angels
Stars
Marlins
Cubs
Phillies
Red Sox
Tigers
Rangers
A's
Seals
Hammers
Twins
Pirates
Orioles
Grays
Monarchs
Mariners
Diamondbacks
Reds
Brewers
Expos
Blue Jays
Guardians
Zephyrs
Beavers

NFL
Helmets supplied by Riddell, Bike, Rawlings and Schutt
Jerseys and Pants supplied by Reebok, No Fear, Nike and Adidas
Footwear supplies by Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Puma, Vans

ReebokNikeNo FearAdidas
Sorcerers
Lions
Seahawks
Sabercats
Bills
Jets
Chiefs
Falcons
Broncos
Cowboys
Marauders
Raiders
Giants
Oilers
Bears
Bengals
Cardinals
Rams
Dolphins
Chargers
Eagles
Panthers
Saints
Colts
Patriots
49ers
Steelers
Buccaneers
Heroes
Packers
Vikings
Browns

NBA
Jerseys and shorts supplied by Adidas, Reebok and Nike
Sneakers supplied by Adidas, Nike, Converse, Vans, Reebok, New Balance and Mizuno

AdidasReebokNike
Spurs
Clippers
Royals
Raptors
Grizzlies
Jazz
Knicks
Colonels
Pacers
Hawks
Heat
Mavericks
Warriors
Suns
Supersonics
Timberwolves
76ers
Nets
Pistons
Hogs
Magic
Rockets
Lakers
Trail Blazers
Nuggets
Spirits
Bulls
Celtics
Cavaliers
Federals
Hornets
Bucks

NHL
Helmets supplied by Reebok, Jofa, Nike, Bauer, CCM, Sherwood, Cooper and Warrior
Sweaters supplied by Reebok (Edge sweaters)
Pants (aka Breezers) supplied by Reebok, Nike, Bauer, CCM, Adidas and Warrior

Say, since Disney is willing to share their shows more ITTL, you should consider having a few Marvel series on Toonami and/or Miguzi and/or ASACTN

Disney has licensed tons of programs to CN, Nick and USACX pretty often ITTL. For instance, the original TMNT series ran on CN from 1998 thru 2002. During that time period, TMNT ran in the afterschool hours back-to-back with BTAS with purple Powerhouse bumpers.

One bumper in particular used pizza toppings to form the checkerboard transition.

The Fox Movietoon Show also had its own Powerhouse bumpers. Some of those reused animation from the Tom and Jerry bumpers, except with Herman and Katnip.

Likewise, you still see a lot of forgotten gems from HB, Screen Gems, Nelvana and other studios pop up on The Disney Channel, G4 or FX.

Disney has licensed tons of programs to CN, Nick and USACX pretty often ITTL. For instance, the original TMNT series ran on CN from 1998 thru 2002. During that time period, TMNT ran in the afterschool hours back-to-back with BTAS with purple Powerhouse bumpers.

One bumper in particular used pizza toppings to form the checkerboard transition.

The Fox Movietoon Show also had its own Powerhouse bumpers. Some of those reused animation from the Tom and Jerry bumpers, except with Herman and Katnip.

Likewise, you still see a lot of forgotten gems from HB, Screen Gems, Nelvana and other studios pop up on The Disney Channel, G4 or FX.
You didn't answer me on CN airing Marvel stuff lol but cool

November 17, 2007

CNN Breaking News: DOJ Approves TBS-Paramount merger; Turner sports assets to be spun off

Today, the Department of Justice has approved Microsoft's efforts to merge its existing Paramount assets with those of Turner Broadcasting System to form a newly combined conglomerate which will be known as TBS Paramount.

As a condition for the approval of this merger, Turner Broadcasting must divest all three professional sports franchises that were acquired by founder Ted Turner in decades past. Also to be divested from Turner are World Championship Wrestling (WCW) and the Goodwill Games. On Paramount's end of this merger, they must divest its North American rights to intellectual properties controlled by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).

Another condition in the approval of this merger is for TBS Paramount to make the appropriate accomodations to allow King Features Syndicate and Peacock subsidiary Universal Studios to continue using the Popeye franchise as part of a long-term series of theatrical films planned years in advance by both King Features and Universal. Turner's rights to Popeye since the early 1990's extend to the use of the Popeye characters in theme park attractions, as well as the library of theatrical cartoons produced by Fleischer-Terry and later Famous Studios from 1933 until the late Fifties.

November 21, 2007

NHL Commissioner Wayne Gretzky quickly announces the Board of Governors' approval of Jerry Bruckheimer's bid to acquire the Atlanta Flames. An NHL insider said the key swing votes to approve Bruck's bid came from Oilers part-owner Todd McFarlane, Silver Knights owner Gavin Maloof, Kings part-owner Michael Eisner and Mighty Ducks owner Tiffany Disney.
- Bill Pidto; Nissan Intermission Report on SBC Wednesday Night Hockey

November 26, 2007

Henson CEO Bob Iger has been invited to join a private equity firm interested in buying WCW and the Goodwill Games, both of which are being divested by Turner Broadcasting as a condition for their merger with Paramount. Iger says ESPN and ABC have the full capability and capacity to cover both.
- The New York Times

MLB offseason news: Liberty Media hopes to acquire the Atlanta Hammers before spring training.
- Bob Costas; NBC Sports

Stan Kasten joins a 50/50 partnership with Falcons owner Arthur Blank in a bid to buy the Hawks. Kasten previously served as the team's representative on the NBA Board of Governors under Ted Turner's ownership. Now that Turner is acquired to divest the Hawks as part of the TBS Paramount merger, Kasten is now making a bid to buy the team himself.
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Cool!
Who’s gonna get the BBC stuff?
Maybe it could be split.
  • Dramas: Paramount
  • Comedy/Sketch: Warner Bros.
  • Documentaries/other factual/non-scripted stuff: Henson
  • Children's/Animation: Saban for some shows, Lionsgate for others.
Haruhi has not reached the US yet, but it will go to Paramount now that the merger is approved.
Yay! So NOW... it can air on Adult Swim Action alongside Lupin, Midori Days, and whatever else you have aired.

Shin-chan's a New Line show, right?
Shin-chan will be a New Line series but it hasn't reached the states yet.
Nice, but why NOT?

Also Bobobo, MAR and Eyeshield 21 should debut next year on SBC's SatAM block.

This is all cool!

Oh yeah, and how is G4 doing at this point?
You didn't answer me on CN airing Marvel stuff lol but cool
TMNT is Marvel at this point I believe....

Oh yeah, and Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes hasn't been mentioned yet. Is it butterflied, or is it a Toon Disney exclusive ITTL?
Speaking of not answering, which company will get the BBC stuff from Paramount?
Look at what I had for suggestions.
The 60's Fantastic Four and Spidey series both aired on CN during the Checkerboard era.

In the Powerhouse era, the 90's Spidey and X-Men series aired during the afterschool hours.
NICE!

So the Marvel shows aired during Toonami, right?
Likely CBS Discovery, TimeWarner or Henson.
Well......

It should actually depend on WHAT it is....