As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Entertainment News for Late July 1982
Oakland Raiders win their year-long lawsuit against the NFL. The team will be allowed to relocate to Los Angeles effective immediately.
- Sports Illustrated

After years of legal limbo, Warner Bros. has acquired the rights to the Japanese anime Speed Racer for North America, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.
- The Detroit Free Press

HBO and Disney reach a four year agreement for the pay cable channel to air the Japanese anime Urusei Yatsura, which is being dubbed in English by Disney's subsidiary 20th Century Fox. Urusei is set to debut on BBC 2 in the UK this coming September and will launch in America on HBO in the Spring of 1983.
- Radio Times

Taft spokeswoman confirms the rumored sale of Hanna-Barbera to the investment group led by Jim Henson and Michael Eisner.
- The Cincinnati Inquirer

After years of legal limbo, Warner Bros. has acquired the rights to the Japanese anime Speed Racer for North America, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.
- The Detroit Free Press

HBO and Disney reach a four year agreement for the pay cable channel to air the Japanese anime Urusei Yatsura, which is being dubbed in English by Disney's subsidiary 20th Century Fox. Urusei is set to debut on BBC 2 in the UK this coming September and will launch in America on HBO in the Spring of 1983.
- Radio Times

Taft spokeswoman confirms the rumored sale of Hanna-Barbera to the investment group led by Jim Henson and Michael Eisner.
- The Cincinnati Inquirer
I didn't expect WB to also gain the rights to Speed Racer in certain European countries. Nice touch there!

So, will the English dub use an American cast or an European cast? Because I simply want to know if the dub that HBO gets will just be an earlier version of OTL's Lamu the Invader Girl from BBC3.

So, I take it that we might see the Cartoon Network have an earlier launch? Say, about five years earlier?

I didn't expect WB to also gain the rights to Speed Racer in certain European countries. Nice touch there!

So, will the English dub use an American cast or an European cast? Because I simply want to know if the dub that HBO gets will just be an earlier version of OTL's Lamu the Invader Girl from BBC3.

So, I take it that we might see the Cartoon Network have an earlier launch? Say, about five years earlier?

What WB is trying to do is have one English dub to syndicate to most English-language nations.

Television has barely arrived in South Africa, so it'll take a bit before WB is ready to syndicate their Speed Racer dub over there. Same with the other Hollywood studios and their dubs.

I was planning to wait a few more years for Cartoon Network.

I think it was by '82 IOTL that USA Network started doing their Cartoon Express.

What WB is trying to do is have one English dub to syndicate to most English-language nations.

Television has barely arrived in South Africa, so it'll take a bit before WB is ready to syndicate their Speed Racer dub over there. Same with the other Hollywood studios and their dubs.

I was planning to wait a few more years for Cartoon Network.

I think it was by '82 IOTL that USA Network started doing their Cartoon Express.
Oh. That explains it.

Relax on the CN stuff. By "five years earlier", I was comparing it to the OTL launch, meaning that the channel would launch in 1987. Maybe 1988 if more content has to be made beforehand.

And you'd be thinking right!

PNWKing

Banned
I wonder if Televisa would not try to make an arrangement with Turner, Gulf & Western, Disney, or MCA to localize certain series for the Latin American market. (Or for that matter to launch local Latin American versions of cable channels.)

I wonder if Televisa would not try to make an arrangement with Turner, Gulf & Western, Disney, or MCA to localize certain series for the Latin American market. (Or for that matter to launch local Latin American versions of cable channels.)
I'm a bit confused here. Are you saying that Televisa should only stick to smaller companies for localization purposes? Or did you mean to say that you wonder if they would, in fact, try to arrange a partnership with one of those companies?

PNWKing

Banned
Are you saying that Televisa should only stick to smaller companies for localization purposes? Or did you mean to say that you wonder if they would, in fact, try to arrange a partnership with one of those companies?
I was saying that they should contact those companies. But that they could also dub content from Henson, New Line, etc.

PNWKing

Banned
I also feel like the next movie should be another Nelvana/TriStar partnership. Hank the Cowdog, The Shadow, and I Love You Forever come to mind.

I was saying that they should contact those companies. But that they could also dub content from Henson, New Line, etc.
Oh. In that case, I'd most want Disney to get the first contact. I mean, not only would Latin America get such crowdpleasers like Flowers and Trees, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Walt's anthology series, but by letting Fox go all in on anime, Japanese classics like Kimba the White Lion and Urusei Yatsura would make their way to that region of the world just as quickly. And if you ask me, what could be better than grabbing animated shorts, feature films, acclaimed programs, AND supreme anime dubs all in one fell swoop?

PNWKing

Banned
I do think the butterflies could lead to the Raiders getting a better arrangement at the Rose Bowl ITTL. I'm surprised the Rose Bowl has never hosted an NFL team. Even in OTL when the Rams and Chargers were waiting for SoFi Stadium to be built the Rams chose the Memorial Coliseum and the Chargers played at a soccer stadium.