As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

I think there will be a need for another comic book update soon because of these events OTL:

-The debut of Barry Allen/The Flash in 1956 renews interest in superheroes and brings in the Silver Age.
-Quality Comics sells most of its assets (including its characters) to DC in late 1956.
-The Justice League of America debuts in 1960.
-Marvel Comics debuts with Fantastic Four in 1961.

If I may be so bold to offer a suggestion, it appears that EC Comics is looking like it's in a healthier position without the OTL backlash against the medium so what if EC buys out/merges with Quality Comics? If DC revives and retools the Flash, then EC/Quality could do the same for Plastic Man. Gaines could assign someone from Mad to pen and draw the book (I nominate Joe Orlando and/or Wally Wood.)

I think there will be a need for another comic book update soon because of these events OTL:

-The debut of Barry Allen/The Flash in 1956 renews interest in superheroes and brings in the Silver Age.
-Quality Comics sells most of its assets (including its characters) to DC in late 1956.

If I may be so bold to offer a suggestion, it appears that EC Comics is looking like it's in a healthier position without the OTL backlash against the medium so what if EC buys out/merges with Quality Comics? If DC revives and retools the Flash, then EC/Quality could do the same for Plastic Man. Gaines could assign someone from Mad to pen and draw the book (I nominate Joe Orlando and/or Wally Wood.)
I love the idea of Wally Wood doing Plastic Man.

Nara Disneyland
tumblr_inline_ntayr9ZeJj1t35w55_1280.jpg

Nara Disneyland opened its gates on February 14, 1963. Under the compromise that was reached a year earlier, the Matsuo Entertainment Company would actually own the theme park while Walt Disney Productions, through its WED subsidiary, maintained creative control.

@Light_Star 1
Most of the stuff at Nara is pretty much the same, but with Disney's involvement, they should be okay moneywise.​

dreamland made a lot of money during the 60's and 70s. Thye started going down hill after the diseny tokoyp open

- Barry Allen does indeed make his 1956 debut.

- Justice League makes its 1960 debut.

- Marvel makes its debut in '61 with the Fantastic Four.

- Spidey debuts in '62, starting in Amazing Fantasy #15.

- Quality and EC merged in 1960.

- Barry Allen does indeed make his 1956 debut.

- Justice League makes its 1960 debut.

- Marvel makes its debut in '61 with the Fantastic Four.

- Spidey debuts in '62, starting in Amazing Fantasy #15.

- Quality and EC merged in 1960.
What's that supposed to mean to me?

What's that supposed to mean to me?

It means that Comics Code has been butterflied, keeping EC and other non-Marvel/National publishers in business for at least another decade or so.

MCA should buy National Comics due to the connection to Famous Studios.

MCA has some stiff competition in the bidding war for National.

- Nabisco
- General Electric
- CBS
- RCA
- Magnavox
- General Mills
- Coleco
- Philco
- Gulf+Western
- Taft Broadcasting
- Wometco
- Times-Mirror
- Time, Inc
- Kinney National
- RKO General
- Transamerica
- Metromedia
- Hewlett-Packard
- Kirk Kerkorian

The Sword in the Stone (1963 Film)
The Sword in the Stone
Released by Walt Disney on December 25, 1963

Narration by Liev Schreiber (From the documentary Walt Disney: An American Original)

"Walt Disney acquired the film rights to T.H. White's novel The Sword in the Stone in February 1939, but production would not officially begin until after World War II. Storyboards and character concepts would be thrown around on and off during the postwar period."

"After 20 years of development, Walt finally greenlit The Sword in the Stone for a December 1963 release. Unfortunately, the assassination of John F. Kennedy overshadowed the film's premiere."

1180w-600h_122118_did-you-know-sword-in-the-stone.jpg

Walt Disney, Jr. (1985 interview on Good Morning America)
"I was sending applications to USC, UCLA and Calarts when Dad said he needed a voice for Arthur. There was another actor they tried for that character. His name was Rickie Sorensen. I didn't find out till years later that his voice changed halfway through. So, Dad and Woolie Reitherman had to scramble to find another boy to do the voice, and I sheepishly asked Dad if I could try it. I recorded my lines in maybe three or four days."

Directed by
Wolfgang Reitherman

Story by
Bill Peet

Based on the book by
T.H. White

Voices
Walt Disney, Jr. [1] as Arthur
Karl Swenson as Merlin
Martha Wentworth as Mad Madam Mim
Junius Matthews as Archimedes
Sebastian Cabot as Sir Ector
Norman Alden as Kay
Alan Napier as Pelinore

[1] Billed as "Junior."

Animators
Milt Kahl
Frank Thomas
Ollie Johnston
John Lounsbery
Cliff Nordberg
Hal Ambro
John Sibley
Hal King
Eric Larson
Eric Cleworth
Whitey Larkin [2]
Helen O'Grady [2]

[2] Fictional artist​

It means that Comics Code has been butterflied, keeping EC and other non-Marvel/National publishers in business for at least another decade or so.
Additionally, I could see some of the stigma toward comics books being a children's medium waning with the horror/crime genres attracting an older readership and a greater diversity of material. It would be interesting if comic books had a similar standing in American mainstream culture as manga has in Japanese mainstream culture.

In regards to EC I could see them not only reviving Plastic Man, but retooling the following characters as well:
  • Moon Girl (An early EC title. Gaines could try to revive the character to cash in on the space race.)
  • Firebrand (A new version of the obscure Golden Age character, Wildfire, with the name of another Quality hero.)
  • Black Condor (New version. I was picturing an African-American USAF pilot inspired in part by the story, "Judgement Day." This would likely cause trouble with distributors in the civil rights-era South, but I could see Gaines as being defiant.)
  • H-Bomb (A new version of the Human Bomb inspired by the hydrogen bomb rather than chemical explosives.)
  • Quicksilver (Better known as Max Mercury OTL. This would mean needing to change the name of the Marvel character to something like Cyclone.)
  • Phantom Lady
  • Doll Man (Time it to coincidentally release around Ray Palmer's debut.)
  • The Ray
  • Uncle Sam
  • Miss America
I'm not 100% that all of these characters could carry a title on their own so I would suggest reviving Smash Comics (continuing the number from Lady Luck #90) and Crack Comics (continuing from #62) as anthology titles. Their Justice League/Avengers equivalent could still be called the Freedom Fighters.

Quicksilver (Better known as Max Mercury OTL. This would mean needing to change the name of the Marvel character to something like Cyclone.)
Only if EC introduce him after March 1964. If done before than Marvel would need a new name for Pietro Maximoff, maybe the Whizzer.

If diesny dosn't buy marvel comics then I would have them buy Quality. If Disney dosen't buy Quality then I like idea of it merging with Fawecett Comics and Charlton Comics in January 1983 to form Trio Comics. I would if any can relize while I chose the name Trio Comics and janurary 1983 for the date of the Fawecett meager.

1964 at Disney
1964 New York World's Fair
al021009b.jpg

At the 1964 New York World's Fair, Disney produced four exhibits that enabled Walt to expand the technology of attractions at Disneyland and Disney parks yet to built.

1180w-600h_TDID-worlds-fair-780x440.jpg

tland2.jpg

Mary Poppins
mary_poppins_-_h_-_1964.jpg

Released on August 27, 1964 by Walt Disney.

That same year, Walt released a film considered by many to be his crowning achievement. Mary Poppins would go on to become the biggest box office hit of 1964-65. It would also take home five Oscars, including Best Actress for Julie Andrews and Best Song for Chim Chim Cher-ee.

Also in 1964, Walt reached an agreement with Anheuser-Busch, clearing the way for Budweiser to become the official beer of Riverfront Square. The indoor park is slated to open in 1966 along with a new ballpark for the Cardinals.
3.jpg

Although few people knew it, Walt was already forming multiple shell companies to buy up parcels of land in Florida for a secret project.
11.15.1965-walt-roy-florida-project-1180x600-780x440.jpg

In the midst of all this, Walt Disney, Jr., now 18, graduated from John Burroughs High School and was accepted into the University of Southern California's School of Cinematic Arts.​

With Disneyland nara becoming a reality Perhaps The oriental will still decide to build thier own park on the otl st. Perhaps the orintal land company will try atrract customer by licensing ip form jappness compaies like studio ghilbie , Shonen Jump, Nintendo and Toho and makreting thier park to people seeking a more jappense themepark expernice. Perhaps Oriental land will latter build a second gate theme park themed to america , europe or the world outside of japan on the otl site of disney sea

With Disneyland nara becoming a reality Perhaps The oriental will still decide to build thier own park on the otl st. Perhaps the orintal land company will try atrract customer by licensing ip form jappness compaies like studio ghilbie , Shonen Jump, Nintendo and Toho and makreting thier park to people seeking a more jappense themepark expernice. Perhaps Oriental land will latter build a second gate theme park themed to america , europe or the world outside of japan on the otl site of disney sea
Maybe they make a deal with Sanrio to create a Hello Kitty theme park like Harmonyland or Puroland.