As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Does the increased popularity of Superman have an increased effect on the National v. Facwett court case?
I read that walter Lantz productions was working on an feature length adlain film starin Abbott and Costello, and Frank Churchill but it was canccled due to mr bug bombing

I think the Abbott/Costello project from Lantz may have to wait with the war coming up.

I am honestly not too knowledgeable about the National/Fawcett feud to give a good answer on that first question.

@Igeo654

I think that intro concept can be saved for a later Superman production. Might sound a little too modern for the early Forties.

Post-war, do you think? Maybe 1950 or something? I assume the Superman shorts will still be made so audiences won't be starved for Superman content.

As for the other guys, Leon Schlesinger should get Timely on the phone. See if they can't go about making some Human Torch Cartoons. Batman needs to be done by Fleisher.

Last edited:
I think the Abbott/Costello project from Lantz may have to wait with the war coming up.

I am honestly not too knowledgeable about the National/Fawcett feud to give a good answer on that first question.

I hope he will wait and not flat out cancell like he did otl

In hindsight, Schlesinger would have an even bigger reason to side with Timely once the war breaks out and Captain America becomes big. At that point, either he never sells the studio to Warner or he sells it anyway and Warner ends up owning Marvel. Probably the latter. As for Fleisher, I still hold out hope that in the same way Disney broke free of RKO (or United Artists in this case), they'll soon become self-distributing somehow. Become Disney's biggest rivals, etc.

Last edited:
In hindsight, Schlesinger would have an even bigger reason to side with Timely once the war breaks out and Captain America becomes big. At that point, either he never sells the studio to Warner or he sells it anyway and Warner ends up owning Marvel. Probably the latter. As for Fleischer, I still hold out hope that in the same way Disney broke free of RKO (or United Artists in this case), they'll soon become self-distributing somehow. Become Disney's biggest rivals, etc.

Sooner or later, Walt will indeed break free of UA, probably sometime after the war.

Dumbo (1941 Film)
Dumbo
baby-dumbo-bath-wallpaper.jpg

Released on October 23, 1941 by Walt Disney thru United Artists.

Based on a book by Helen Aberson and Harold Pearl.
52464e67ac59040d83619d995ad0df9c.jpg

Directors
Ben Sharpsteen
Otto Englander

Story
Joe Grant
Dick Huemer

Supervising Animators
Wolfgang Reitherman
Ward Kimball
Bill Tytla
Art Babbitt
Fred Moore
John Lounsbery

Voices
Sterling Holloway as Mr. Stork
Verna Felton as the Matriarch Elephant
Edward Brophy as Timothy Q. Mouse
Herman Bing as the Ringmaster

The Crows
Cab Calloway
Nick Stewart
Hall Johnson
James Baskett
Jim Carmichael

The Elephants
Noreen Gammill
Dorothy Scott
Sarah Shelby

In its theatrical debut, Dumbo was the Kryptonite to Superman's box office bliss, knocking the Paramount/Fleischer film down from #1 to #2 at the box office. Universal's Wolf Man would push Superman further down the charts the following month.

Dumbo was scheduled to grace the cover of TIME Magazine, but of course, that didn't happen.​

One fine day at Termite Terrace
Schlesinger.jpg

Termite Terrace aka Leon Schlesinger Productions

Staff Meeting
November 3, 1941

8776_128323036794.jpg

LEON SCHLESINGER
"Okay, so Fleischer's doin' well with Superman and Disney's doin' well with Dumbo. Now I think I have an idea for a feature cartoon. How many of you guys remember that story Alice in Wonderland?"

chuck-jones-1-1940s.jpg

CHUCK JONES
"Not me. Haven't really thought about it in ages."

image-w1280.jpg

TEX AVERY
"Paramount made a version a few years back that was pretty good."

image.jpg

BOB CLAMPETT
"I think I can make the material work as a movie."​