As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Wow. Disney is packed! And unlike OTL Disney, thanks to Walt Sr. sticking around, the company knows how to use every last piece of their subsidiary pie.

On the other hand, does this mean that Touchstone will be butterflied away?

For once, the movie is not the reason to get some popcorn, but rather, the company making it!

Considering the fact that Ruby and Spears will found their own company, I think Hanna and Barbera would need all the money they could get.

Hey! What if the two companies were to merge in the 80's or 90's?

Good luck, Mr. Williams.

It would be nice to see how you would properly adapt a children's book into a feature film, especially when the children's book is so iconic.

Well, the two were former friends at WB, so it would be nice to see the two working again.

What is The Mouse and His Child?

A slow start for Nelvana, but it could lead to great things later down the line.

DePatie-Freleng is still around? And SBC is still looking for content?

If I were Woolie, I'd go to Nelvana and Ruby-Spears first, but still keep Disney in mind, and shoo away Famous Studios.

I don't think Touchstone will completely go away. It could still be the mature label for either Jim Henson or Hanna-Barbera.

Possible names: Avery-Clampett or Gemini

Yes, DePatie-Freleng is still hanging on by a thread.

Mouse and His Child was a film that Sanrio was involved with.

SBC will launch The Muppet Show in Fall '76.

Connolly also played King Fergus in Brave too so it's likely to see him in a Disney film sooner or later.

Also it would be good if Freddie Starr can end up having a more happier ending than OTL for if you don't know, he was accused of being in the Jimmy Savile circle which in the end came to nothing with no evidence IIRC on him yet it ruined him leading to a sad end of someone of great talent.

Perhaps he sticks out of the way of Savile or gets a staring role in an upcoming Disney film (Rapunzel or Snow Queen, maybe the later if there is a TTL version of Olaf in which he'd be perfect for IMO) then that might help him sometime before 1980. He only stared in one film in 1977 so he just needs to keep the momentum up. Interestingly enough he was well known for his impressions so there is a butterfly in which he might end up as a voice actor down the line in the coming years.

Seeing as we got Rikki Fulton getting attention in America thanks to staring in Hansel and Gretel then maybe his co-star Jack Milroy, who are well known for their Francie and Josie double act might join Fulton to try and crack America with their double act. Would be nice to see a Scottish comedy duo get lucky Stateside here.

Starr distanced himself from Savile already, whereas Douglas Abbott is still part of Savile's posse.

Definitely gonna need a role for Milroy in a Disney film at some point.

My choice is Disney Communications.
I also vote that Zack Dillinger and Woolie Reitherman go to Nelvana.

I'll keep those in mind.

I don't think Touchstone will completely go away. It could still be the mature label for either Jim Henson or Hanna-Barbera.

Possible names: Avery-Clampett or Gemini

Yes, DePatie-Freleng is still hanging on by a thread.

Mouse and His Child was a film that Sanrio was involved with.

SBC will launch The Muppet Show in Fall '76.
Either one of those two would have benefits from being responsible for Touchstone. If it was Jim Henson, we might see more mature Muppets content, and even some live-action features. If it was Hanna-Barbera, shows like The Flintstones and Top Cat could return to their primetime roots.

I'd go with a different name than those two: Screwball Productions, a reference to both Avery and Clampett being masters of zany comedy, with the original Daffy Duck on Clampett's side, and Droopy and/or Chilly Willy on Avery's side.

How soon until DePatie-Freleng kicks the bucket?

Good to know.

I see that airing the pilot did good favors for both Jim Henson and the SBC. And considering the Nancy Drew incident, SBC needs the Muppets to be a big hit for the network! Like, Simpsons back in 1989 levels of big hitters!

If it was Jim Henson, we might see more mature Muppets content, and even some live-action features.
Like this:
68c15475075779.5c42393eb8a3c.png

The Happytime Murders - Directed by Frank Oz; Starring Madeline Khan as Detective Connie Edwards, Cindy Morgan as Jenny Peterson, Jo Anne Worley as Bubbles, Alan Sues as Special Agent Campbell

Either one of those two would have benefits from being responsible for Touchstone. If it was Jim Henson, we might see more mature Muppets content, and even some live-action features. If it was Hanna-Barbera, shows like The Flintstones and Top Cat could return to their primetime roots.

I'd go with a different name than those two: Screwball Productions, a reference to both Avery and Clampett being masters of zany comedy, with the original Daffy Duck on Clampett's side, and Droopy and/or Chilly Willy on Avery's side.

How soon until DePatie-Freleng kicks the bucket?

Good to know.

I see that airing the pilot did good favors for both Jim Henson and the SBC. And considering the Nancy Drew incident, SBC needs the Muppets to be a big hit for the network! Like, Simpsons back in 1989 levels of big hitters!

For Henson, Touchstone might be the place for Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Not sure about how HB would use Touchstone though. Maybe for animated series for adults?

DePatie-Freleng has been bleeding money for a while now.

@nick_crenshaw82
The more I think about it, the more I feel Happytime Murders would've been a better fit in the 70's or early 80's. Muppet grindhouse/exploitation, anyone?

ABA/NBA Merger
The merger between the American and National Basketball Associations will take effect for the 1976-77 season.

As of the 1975-76 season, the NBA looks something like this....
Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division

Boston Celtics
Buffalo Braves
New York Knicks
Philadelphia 76ers

Central Division
Atlanta Hawks
Cleveland Cavaliers
Houston Rockets
Washington Federals (Formerly Baltimore Bullets)

Western Conference
Midwest Division

Chicago Bulls
Detroit Pistons
Kansas City Royals
Milwaukee Bucks

Pacific Division
Golden State Warriors
Los Angeles Lakers
Phoenix Suns
Portland Trailblazers
Seattle Supersonics

The ABA on the other hand, is down to the remaining teams below...
Denver Nuggets
Indiana Pacers
Kentucky Colonels
New Orleans Jazz
New York Nets
San Antonio Spurs
Spirits of St. Louis
Virginia Squires

Dwindling attendance at three different venues have made the Virginia Squires the most likely team to fold before the lameduck ABA season ends.

In New Orleans, the Jazz have been hammered by the 11% amusement tax and relocation may be their only way into the NBA.

To complicate things further, the NBA Braves have been wanting out of Buffalo for some time now.

The Silna brothers, who own the Spirits of St. Louis, had been talking to other cities the last two years due to sagging ticket sales and fan apathy in St. Louis. If no relocation deals are reached, then the Spirits will likely fold.

Even though the Kentucky Colonels have been one of the ABA's pillar franchises, convincing the NBA to let them in hasn't been easy. Chicago Bulls ownership has made clear to NBA Commissioner Larry O'Brien that another ABA pillar club, the Indiana Pacers, would be much more preferable than the Colonels. If the Bulls don't back down and the Colonels are denied entry, team owner John Y. Brown, Jr. would have to fold the club for cash.

The ABA teams guaranteed to be accepted into the NBA are the Nets, Nuggets, Pacers and Spurs, each with the highest attendance in the lameduck ABA season.
- Sports Illustrated

In New Orleans, the Jazz have been hammered by the 11% amusement tax and relocation may be their only way into the NBA.
If you do move them, PLEASE don't have them keep the Jazz name (it's always bugged me that OTL's Utah Jazz have never been willing to let the "Jazz" name go back to New Orleans where it belongs). That way, once New Orleans gets a new franchise ITTL, they can purchase the Jazz history from the relocated franchise (a la OTL's Charlotte Hornets).

Last edited:
If you do move them, PLEASE don't have them keep the Jazz name (it's always bugged me that OTL's Utah Jazz have never been willing to let the "Jazz" name go back to New Orleans where it belongs). That way, once New Orleans gets a new franchise ITTL, they can purchase the Jazz history from the relocated franchise (a la OTL's Charlotte Hornets).

Cool. Any suggestion on how the newly merged league should be aligned?

For Henson, Touchstone might be the place for Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Not sure about how HB would use Touchstone though. Maybe for animated series for adults?

@nick_crenshaw82
The more I think about it, the more I feel Happytime Murders would've been a better fit in the 70's or early 80's. Muppet grindhouse/exploitation, anyone?
Oddly enough, what you said about how each studio would use the brand was exactly what I meant to say. By "more adult films by Jim Henson", I was referring to Labyrinth and Dark Crystal. And, by "returning The Flintstones and Top Cat to their primetime roots", I was referring to cartoons for adults.

I agree. Maybe we can get some Muppet cameos if HM gets made in the 70's instead.

Finally, if I may ask, who owns what so far in this timeline?

CBS
Columbia Pictures
DC Comics

Desilu
RKO Radio Pictures

Disney Communications
Walt Disney Pictures
20th Century-Fox
Marvel Comics
Harvey Comics (Previously sold to Fox in 1970-71; Likely to be spun off or absorbed into Marvel)

Gulf+Western
Paramount Pictures
Sega
Simon and Schuster

Helmsley Leisure
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
MGM Records

Metromedia
Standard Broadcasting Company (50%; Co-owned with Westinghouse)

MCA
Universal Pictures
Famous Studios
Decca Records (American branch)

RCA
National Broadcasting Company

Taft Broadcasting
Hanna-Barbera
Kings Entertainment Company
- Kings Island
- Kings Dominion

Time-Life, Inc.
Home Box Office (HBO)

Turner Broadcasting
United Artists
Superstation WTBS
Pre-1948 Warner Bros. library
Atlanta Braves (MLB team)

Viacom
Showtime (Launching in 1976)

Warner Communications
Warner Bros.
Motown Records

Independent
American International Pictures (AIP)
Atari, Inc.
Avery-Clampett
Bagdasarian Productions
Broadway Video
Charlton Comics
Clokey Productions
DePatie-Freleng Enterprises
Entertaining Quality Comics
Filmways
Fawcett Publications
Heatter-Quigley
Hemdale Film Corporation
Henson Associates
Jay Ward Productions
Lorimar
Merv Griffin Enterprises
Nelvana
New Line Cinema
New World Pictures
Ruby-Spears
Murakami-Wolf-Swenson

Last edited:
I would find it amusing if Columbia bought them out considering that DePatie-Freleng became Marvel Productions OTL. On that note, are the Salkinds involved with TTL's Superman? If not, then I could see a less expensive production with the duology that Richard Donner envisioned, provided he is still directing.

In regards to the comics industry, I wonder what the fate of Charlton, Entertaining-Quality, and Fawcett will be. The great implosion will be coming in 1978 and I would hazard that one of the three would fold or get bought out by a larger company by then. Charlton folded in part because its printing press was antiquated. E-Q could be barely hanging on with the Plastic Man cartoon by Ruby-Spears, and not too sure about Captain Marvel/Thunder. There was the Filmation show, but Filmation went belly up, didn't it?

William M. Gaines announces Entertaining Quality Comics up for sale. The comic company was the result of a 1961 merger between Quality and Gaines' EC Comics, home of Tales from the Crypt and Mad.
- The New York Times
I can't believe I missed this the first time but how does EC and Quality survive the comic scare and the CCA in the mid 1950s?

Wertham was killed by a drunk driver before he was to give his testimony at the Senate Subcommittee hearings. Thus, the moral panic over comics pretty much died with him.
No it really didn't, you should read David Hajdu's The Ten-Cent Plague, I learned that Fredric Wertham wasn't the only critic just the loudest and with the best credentials. A better plan would be to alter the careers of Charles Biro (originator of crime comics), All Feldstein (originator of horror comics with Bill Gaines) and Wertham (maybe send him to Canada or England).