As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Entertainment News for Mid-June 1992
SBC's coverage of the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals became the most-watched SC Finals to date. The Pittsburgh Penguins defeated the Los Angeles Kings in seven games, clinching the cup at the Igloo. Now with the Cup belonging to the Pens for the second year in a row, the NHL is now concentrating on the expansion draft and a slight adjustment to the divisional alignment.

Next season, the slightly-tweaked alignment will look something like this:
Smythe Division (Clarence Campbell Conference)Norris Division (Clarence Campbell Conference)Patrick Division (Prince of Wales Conference)Adams Division (Prince of Wales Conference)
Calgary Broncos
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Seattle Thunderbirds
Vancouver Canucks
Mighty Ducks of San Diego (Expansion)
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
St Louis Blues
Milwaukee Admirals
Minnesota North Stars
Winnipeg Jets
Colorado Rockies (Moved from Smythe)
Hartford Whalers
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Tampa Bay Lightning (Expansion)
Atlanta Flames
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Cleveland Moondogs
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs

Last edited:
Smythe Division (Clarence Campbell Conference)Norris Division (Clarence Campbell Conference)
Calgary Broncos
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Seattle Thunderbirds
Vancouver Canucks
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
Houston Aeros
Milwaukee Admirals
Minnesota North Stars
Winnipeg Jets
Disney vs. Namco...

I do not know who I'd root for in this grudge match.

PNWKing

Banned
I hope Disney expands outside of the entertainment business soon. Possible candidates include Hyatt Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Best Western, Dial Soap, Bristol-Meyers, Conoco, Burger King, CVS, Lucky Stores, and Nabisco.

1) Mature films, yes. Plus the anime dubs since 1976. Rocky Horror, The Omen and Silver Streak the first Fox releases under Disney's ownership.
2) Within the Disney conglomerate ITTL, Fox enjoys at least some of the autonomy that Miramax had during the Eisner/Katzenberg years IOTL.
Since Disney bought out Fox earlier then OTL, will they release the Ice Age films. I hope that is not the case. I would prefer it, if the Ice Age films are released by Hollywood Pictures, Caralco, Newline,or RKO.

SBC's coverage of the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals became the most-watched SC Finals to date. The Pittsburgh Penguins defeated the Los Angeles Kings in seven games, clinching the cup at the Igloo. Now with the Cup belonging to the Pens for the second year in a row, the NHL is now concentrating on the expansion draft and a slight adjustment to the divisional alignment.

Smythe Division (Clarence Campbell Conference)Norris Division (Clarence Campbell Conference)Patrick Division (Prince of Wales Conference)Adams Division (Prince of Wales Conference)
Calgary Broncos
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Seattle Thunderbirds
Vancouver Canucks
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
Houston Aeros
Milwaukee Admirals
Minnesota North Stars
Winnipeg Jets
Hartford Whalers
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Tampa Bay Lightning (Expansion)
Atlanta Flames
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Cleveland Moondogs
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Bit random topic to bring up but as we're in the 1990's here, would it be possible to the British Ice Hockey scene not lose any steam at this point?

Many clubs folded and my own side, Fife Flyers, are one of only the handful clubs along with Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers to survive. Not sure how to avoid Ice Hockey in the country to take a nose dive towards the end of the decade.

How is Disney/Atari going to effect the 1993 Congressional Hearings on Video Games?
What are Disney/Atari's Policies on violence and other adult content in video games?
Will the Atari Wildcat version of Mortal Kombat be censored?

Since Disney bought out Fox earlier then OTL, will they release the Ice Age films. I hope that is not the case. I would prefer it, if the Ice Age films are released by Hollywood Pictures, Caralco, Newline,or RKO.
That depends if Disney buys out Blue Sky Studios or not...

Hopefully if they do, it won't end up like OTL...

(Also, Don Bluth and Gary Goldman were offered by Fox to make Ice Age as a more serious 2D film IOTL, but Fox decided to make it a more-comedic CGI film... that might be an idea right there...)

I hope Disney expands outside of the entertainment business soon. Possible candidates include Hyatt Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Best Western, Dial Soap, Bristol-Meyers, Conoco, Burger King, CVS, Lucky Stores, and Nabisco.

What could happen is if the RJR-Nabisco merger was broken up and the non-Tobacco assets of Reynolds were brought together to form Marceline Brands.

Bit random topic to bring up but as we're in the 1990's here, would it be possible to the British Ice Hockey scene not lose any steam at this point?

Many clubs folded and my own side, Fife Flyers, are one of only the handful clubs along with Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers to survive. Not sure how to avoid Ice Hockey in the country to take a nose dive towards the end of the decade.

I'm sure it's possible to keep British Ice Hockey alive, but it'll likely require players born outside the UK to still have enough players to sustain the teams. Or I can make up some fictional British players if you prefer homegrown talent.

In American Football, you guys are getting a World League expansion team next season:
2552_scottish_claymores-alternate-1998.png

How is Disney/Atari going to effect the 1993 Congressional Hearings on Video Games?
What are Disney/Atari's Policies on violence and other adult content in video games?
Will the Atari Wildcat version of Mortal Kombat be censored?

Disney/Atari would be on the side of wanting a ratings system instead of letting the government dictate video game content. IOTL, Sega's Videogame Rating Council came out a full year before the ESRB IOTL. However, I'm not sure how to get Sega to open the VRC to its competitors or if the ESRB was inevitable.

You'd be surprised to learn that despite the family-oriented image when you think of OTL Disney, they're actually pretty permissive of adult content in games, especially the Die Hard game that Fox Interactive made for the Wildcat.

No, the Wildcat version of MK will NOT be censored.

That depends if Disney buys out Blue Sky Studios or not...

Hopefully if they do, it won't end up like OTL...

(Also, Don Bluth and Gary Goldman were offered by Fox to make Ice Age as a more serious 2D film IOTL, but Fox decided to make it a more-comedic CGI film... that might be an idea right there...)

Ice Age might instead be made by Hanna-Barbera.

One thing Bluth and Goldman will make at Disney for sure is Anastasia. BUT, it'll likely be Anastasia in name only if I can find a way to change a few names here and there to avoid the OTL controversy over the liberties that were taken with the Romanovs' downfall.

You'd be surprised to learn that despite the family-oriented image when you think of OTL Disney, they're actually pretty permissive of adult content in games, especially the Die Hard game that Fox Interactive made for the Wildcat.
This is certainly an impressive bit of news. However, given their dubs of Kimba and Urusei Yatsura, as well as their interpretation of Ranma 1/2, I can see why they would be a LOT more lenient towards this.
Mortal Kombat being uncensored on a Disney console, on the other hand, that's pushing things a bit too far.
Ice Age might instead be made by Hanna-Barbera.
I wouldn't mind this. However, the question now is...
Will it be in puppetry, 2D animation, stop motion, or CGI?
One thing Bluth and Goldman will make at Disney for sure is Anastasia. BUT, it'll likely be Anastasia in name only if I can find a way to change a few names here and there to avoid the OTL controversy over the liberties that were taken with the Romanovs' downfall.
Eh, I think they can get away with a bit of controversy, even with the stuff this movie was slandered with IOTL.

Mortal Kombat being uncensored on a Disney console, on the other hand, that's pushing things a bit too far.
I have to agree with Faults on this. It's inevitable that Disney would at least be pushing for a PG-oriented rendition of Mortal Kombat, which would be just as unpopular as Nintendo's version because of the censorship itself. Still, that's probably what Walt Jr. would be thinking considering Disney's brand image (A family-friendly company that releases a game that has gorish fatalities? Not a good look.)

I have to agree with Faults on this. It's inevitable that Disney would at least be pushing for a PG-oriented rendition of Mortal Kombat, which would be just as unpopular as Nintendo's version because of the censorship itself. Still, that's probably what Walt Jr. would be thinking considering Disney's brand image (A family-friendly company that releases a game that has gorish fatalities? Not a good look.)
How should the situation be addressed? I wasn't sure how much MK would need to be toned down for the Wildcat without it turning into the OTL SNES version.

Would Street Fighter be a better fit on an Atari console?

How should the situation be addressed? I wasn't sure how much MK would need to be toned down for the Wildcat without it turning into the OTL SNES version.
Maybe we could have a Wildcat-exclusive explanation to the gore, in which the fighters are able to get free affordable healthcare for participating. This means that all the violence and blood has been paid for before the fight even begins. That just came to me out of my brain, so if it makes no sense, I apologize.
Even if Mortal Kombat finds a way to appear on the Wildcat, I think we can have both MK and SF co-exist on the system, thanks in part to the relationship that OTL's Disney has with Capcom as a reference point.

PNWKing

Banned
Actually, I feel like Ice Age should be made by either Klasky-Csupso or Film Roman, and distributed by RKO, New Line, or Carolco.

Disney/Atari would be on the side of wanting a ratings system instead of letting the government dictate video game content. IOTL, Sega's Videogame Rating Council came out a full year before the ESRB IOTL. However, I'm not sure how to get Sega to open the VRC to its competitors or if the ESRB was inevitable.

ESRB is inevitable, Nintendo would never go with Sega's rating system. Plus the ESRB is basically the video game industry's version of the MPAA so it's likely that Disney/Atari would want a rating system like that. A possible scenario is that Nintendo and Disney/Atari create a uniform rating system that Sega is later forced to adhere to because of the congressional hearings.

Actually since it's already 1992 what happened to the SNES-CD? It was announced at the 1991 Consumer Electronics Show.
Was the Nintendo/Sony deal more balanced? Or was the deal still hugely in Sony's favor, causing Yamauchi to go ape shit and stab Ohga in the back by pattering with Magnavox?

Even OTL both the SNES and Genesis had ports of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter 2 since Capcom and Midway are both 3rd Party. Atari Wildcat would probably have both series too.

Entertainment News for Late-June 1992
James Woods: "Did we absolutely need all that airport-style security for the Daisy-Head Mayzie opening? What? did Christina Ricci get a 'love letter' or a heart-shaped candy box from John K? I mean, metal detectors at the freaking Chinese Theatre?! Somebody please explain this to me!"
- Excerpt from The Late Show with Jay Leno

Production has begun on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III.
- Variety

Golden Harvest of America, founded in partnership with Haim Saban and Raymond Chow, have picked up the distribution rights to Reservoir Dogs, an independent film shown at Sundance last January.
- Entertainment Tonight

Universal confirms they have leased office space to a new production company being opened up by Steven Spielberg in collaboration with Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Is John K. still at large? It's impressive how one man could bring in so much security from practically every company in Hollywood, but I do hope that he gets caught soon. Maybe once Bundy is kicked out of office.

Universal confirms they have leased office space to a new production company being opened up by Steven Spielberg in collaboration with Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen.
Is this the start of Dreamworks? I wonder how they even assembled in the first place 🤔