As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

November 1989 Movies
Ghostbusters II

Released on November 3, 1989 by Paramount Pictures.
After the events of the first film, new competitors attempt to steal our heroes' thunder. Peter and company quickly realize that these supposed rivals have unleashed MORE ghosts to wreak havoc on the city in an attempt to sully the Ghostbusters' reputation. ITTL, Oscar is a bit older and played by newcomer Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

Back to the Future Part II
ht_chicago_cubs_back_to_the_future2_wg_151007_16x9_992.jpg

Released on November 22, 1989 by Universal Pictures.
Just like IOTL, Marty sees a hologram announcing the Chicago Cubs' World Series triumph over an unnamed Miami team. Within days of the film's release, Miami was in fact granted an MLB expansion franchise. And make sure to stay for the trailer for Part III.​

1: The fact that Dr. Seuss's response to nuclear war is more kid-friendly than Time kinda shocks me.
2: That said, it's a high note for Olivier's career in my book.
3: Which of these two films earned more money?

I mean, from what I know of it, the earlier issues of the OTL comic had the SatAM cast and the AoSTH brand of humor, so maybe he's not the wrong Robotnik here.

How well did Time do at the box office and its critic rating overall?

Anyway, I get the feeling that along with the ALW musicals coming up later on, I suspect more animated films based on musicals will follow especially during the 90's and all the Disney animated films all being musicals themselves.

The Butter Battle Book wound up making the most money between the two. Time was criticized for its slow running time and overreliance on songs from the stage play.

Which ALW musical should be made first in your opinion?

The Butter Battle Book wound up making the most money between the two. Time was criticized for its slow running time and overreliance on songs from the stage play.
Ouch. That's pretty bad.
Which ALW musical should be made first in your opinion?
I'm not the guy who asked, but I would go with Jesus Christ Superstar for this. It's the right blend of timeless, old, popular, obscure, and even risky for it to work.

I mean, from what I know of it, the earlier issues of the OTL comic had the SatAM cast and the AoSTH brand of humor, so maybe he's not the wrong Robotnik here.
Not quite AoStH humor, but definitely more cartoony humor.
They also had a different backstory for most of the characters.

Ghostbusters II

After the events of the first film, new competitors attempt to steal our heroes' thunder. Peter and company quickly realize that these supposed rivals have unleashed MORE ghosts to wreak havoc on the city in an attempt to sully the Ghostbusters' reputation. ITTL, Oscar is a bit older and played by newcomer Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
Oh! So it's a totally different movie ITTL? That sounds cool!

Just like IOTL, Marty sees a hologram announcing the Chicago Cubs' World Series triumph over an unnamed Miami team. Within days of the film's release, Miami was in fact granted an MLB expansion franchise. And make sure to stay for the trailer for Part III.
They weren't named in dialog, but they showed the logo/mascot, which implied they were the Miami Gators.
Miami-baseball-team-in-Back-to-the-Future-II.jpg

Gators works, they could also be the Miami Storm, Hurricanes, Lightning...

The Little Mermaid (1989 Film)
The Little Mermaid
191115-one-time-use-the-little-mermaid-1989-ew-502p_62c6695749d2bf96a45a28e7cc2bceb8.jpg

Released by Walt Disney Pictures on November 17, 1989.

Inspired by the fairy tale by
Hans Christian Andersen

Produced by
Walt Disney Classic Animation
(Orlando branch at the Disney-Fox Studios)

Written and Directed by
Ron Clements
Jon Musker

Executive Producers
Roy E. Disney
Don Bluth
Wolfgang Reitherman

Music by
Alan Menken

Song lyrics by
Howard Ashman

Voices
Jodi Benson as Ariel
Jason Marin as Flounder
Keanu Reeves as Prince Eric
Buddy Hackett as Scuttle
Patrick Stewart as King Triton
Eartha Kitt as Ursula
Samuel E. Wright as Sebastian
John Kassir as Flotsam
Keith David as Jetsam
Ben Wright as Grimsby
Will Ryan as the Seahorse
Rene Auberjonois as Chef Louis
Edie McClurg as Carlotta
Kimmy Robertson as Andrina
Laura Branigan as Arista
Kath Soucie as Adella
Mary Kay Bergman as Alana
Venus Terzo as Aquata
Carolina Vasicek as Attina

Notes
- Ben Wright, who voiced Grimsby and previously voiced Roger in 101 Dalmatians, passed away during post-production. Daniel Abbott takes over the role for future Mermaid projects.
- After this film's completion, Wolfgang Reitherman would retire from the studio, marking the end of his second stint at Disney after spending the mid to late seventies at other studios.
- Sadly, The Little Mermaid would be the last project Howard Ashman would see through completion.​

Not quite AoStH humor, but definitely more cartoony humor.
They also had a different backstory for most of the characters.
I see, gotcha.
Notes
- Ben Wright, who voiced Grimsby and previously voiced Roger in 101 Dalmatians, passed away during post-production. Daniel Abbott takes over the role for future Mermaid projects.
- After this film's completion, Wolfgang Reitherman would retire from the studio, marking the end of his second stint at Disney after spending the mid to late seventies at other studios.
- Sadly, The Little Mermaid would be the last project Howard Ashman would see through completion.​
1: Makes me wonder if Abbott would also voice Roger Radcliffe in future Dalmatians projects.
2: Call it what you will, but I'm still surprised that this was his final Disney project ITTL. It's gonna take a bit to process that.
3: Oh, great. Another death during the making of the film. And this one's even worse than the previous one!

Ghostbusters II

Just like IOTL, Marty sees a hologram announcing the Chicago Cubs' World Series triumph over an unnamed Miami team. Within days of the film's release, Miami was in fact granted an MLB expansion franchise. And make sure to stay for the trailer for Part III.​
I wonder if the ghostbuster unscurpus competition is the ghost smashers from the idw comics ghostbuster comis . The ghost smasher led by a conman named ron alexander tempary steal the ghost bust ers spotlight due to thier techongly that destoys ghost rather then conatin them. How it turn out the ghost smashers techongly dosn't destory ghost but atomizes them and the ghost are capble of reconsturitng themselves. To make matter wose the atomized ghost reconsturte themselve as one megaghost. Fortunely the ghost busters are abel to stop the emga spook and the ghost samshers are forced to retire in shame

Yes. Given how it's a Nintendo cash-in, will the movie be made by Universal on its own or by TriStar and Nelvana? Either one has its benefits, but they overlap so much that I can't help but ask.

Oh. That softens the blow a lot! Thank you.
All are involved.

I haven't settled on what Disney's pipeline will look like in the 90's but you're welcome.

All are involved.
I both didn't plan for and should have expected that answer, given the circumstances.
I haven't settled on what Disney's pipeline will look like in the 90's but you're welcome.
Since Treasure of the Lost Lamp gained more money and higher critical praise, maybe a Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers movie is in order? Maybe even a Mister Ed film in which Ed's secret is revealed? Just some random ideas for movies from TTL's pipeline.

PNWKing

Banned
The Lion King is the only certainty. Tarzan and Pochantas are out because both are racist as all heck. Mulan might be butterflied, but I'd prefer to keep it because of the basic fact that it was a huge win for Asian representation in Hollywood.

The Lion King is the only certainty. Tarzan and Pochantas are out because both are racist as all heck. Mulan might be butterflied, but I'd prefer to keep it because of the basic fact that it was a huge win for Asian representation in Hollywood.
Lion King for sure, but I'm not sure about before or after.

Are the Roger Rabbit sequels still going to happen?
One is planned for '91, the other for '94.

The Little Mermaid
191115-one-time-use-the-little-mermaid-1989-ew-502p_62c6695749d2bf96a45a28e7cc2bceb8.jpg

Released by Walt Disney Pictures on November 17, 1989.

Inspired by the fairy tale by
Hans Christian Andersen

Produced by
Walt Disney Classic Animation
(Orlando branch at the Disney-Fox Studios)

Written and Directed by
Ron Clements
Jon Musker

Executive Producers
Roy E. Disney
Don Bluth
Wolfgang Reitherman

Music by
Alan Menken

Song lyrics by
Howard Ashman

Voices
Jodi Benson as Ariel
Jason Marin as Flounder
Keanu Reeves as Prince Eric
Buddy Hackett as Scuttle
Patrick Stewart as King Triton
Eartha Kitt as Ursula
Samuel E. Wright as Sebastian
John Kassir as Flotsam
Keith David as Jetsam
Ben Wright as Grimsby
Will Ryan as the Seahorse
Rene Auberjonois as Chef Louis
Edie McClurg as Carlotta
Kimmy Robertson as Andrina
Laura Branigan as Arista
Kath Soucie as Adella
Mary Kay Bergman as Alana
Venus Terzo as Aquataa
Carolina Vasicek as Attina

Notes
I kind of feel bad that Howard Ashman never got to write the songs for Beauty & the Beast ITTL.

And now, an updated Disney Animation Outlook for the 1990's...

Summer 1990: All Dogs Go to Heaven
Thanksgiving 1990: The Rescuers Down Under

Summer 1991:
Thanksgiving 1991:

Summer 1992:
Thanksgiving 1992:

Summer 1993:
Thanksgiving 1993:

Summer 1994: The Lion King
Thanksgiving 1994:

Summer 1995:
Thanksgiving 1995:

Summer 1996: The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Thanksgiving 1996:

Summer 1997:
Thanksgiving or Christmas 1997: Anastasia

Summer 1998: Mulan
Thanksgiving 1998:

Summer 1999:
Thanksgiving 1999: Fantasia/2000

On the bubble
Aladdin
Fern Gully
(A better fit elsewhere?)
Thumbelina
Roger Rabbit 2
Roger Rabbit 3
Mistress Masham's Repose
Treasure Planet
Don Quixote
Musicana
The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Wizard (1989 Film)
The Wizard
Wizard-movie-Review-1.jpg

Released on December 15, 1989.

Distribution
Universal Pictures (North America)
TriStar Pictures (International)

Directed by
Todd Holland

Produced by
David Chisholm
Ken Topolsky

Written by
David Chisholm

Music by
Danny Elfman

Cast
Fred Savage as Corey Woods
Luke Edwards as Jimmy Woods
Jenny Lewis as Haley Brooks
Christian Slater as Nick Woods
Beau Bridges as Sam Woods
Will Seltzer as Putnam
Jackey Vinson as Lucas Barton
Wendy Phillips as Christine Bateman
Sam McMurray as Mr. Bateman
Frank McRae as Spankey
Vincent Leahr as Tate
Beth Grant as Diner manager
Lee Arenberg as Armageddon registrar
Tobey Maguire as Goon
Dante Basco as Jeff Reyes [1]

[1] Deleted entirely from the OTL film, but given a more integral role ITTL. Speaking of which, why was Basco cut from the OTL film in the first place?​

And now, an updated Disney Animation Outlook for the 1990's...

Summer 1990: All Dogs Go to Heaven
Thanksgiving 1990: The Rescuers Down Under

Summer 1991:
Thanksgiving 1991:

Summer 1992:
Thanksgiving 1992:

Summer 1993:
Thanksgiving 1993:

Summer 1994: The Lion King
Thanksgiving 1994:

Summer 1995:
Thanksgiving 1995:

Summer 1996: The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Thanksgiving 1996:

Summer 1997:
Thanksgiving or Christmas 1997: Anastasia

Summer 1998: Mulan
Thanksgiving 1998:

Summer 1999:
Thanksgiving 1999: Fantasia/2000

On the bubble
Aladdin
Fern Gully
Thumbelina (A better fit elsewhere?)
Roger Rabbit 2
Roger Rabbit 3
Mistress Masham's Repose
Treasure Planet
Don Quixote
Musicana
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Thumbelina and Feen Gully are best made at other studios IMO.