As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

I'm surprised that Dreamworks still happens, considering of the changes that are occurring ITTL. No clue how Katzenberg, Spielberg, and Geffen can unite together without the fallout that happened with Eisner.

I'm surprised that Dreamworks still happens, considering of the changes that are occurring ITTL. No clue how Katzenberg, Spielberg, and Geffen can unite together without the fallout that happened with Eisner.
To be fair, Katzenberg is currently running Famous Studios, and Universal already has close ties to Spielberg. Honestly, Geffen seems to be the only main roadblock right now in terms of the formation of DreamWorks.

What's new at the theme parks in 1988?

492ade781fe72f1b51a10e45e15c4568.jpg

RKO Radio Pictures brings the Star Trek Adventure (above) to the Upper Lot at Universal Studios Hollywood.

On the backlot tour, the Tower of London (below, left) set is being razed to make way for the new Stage 50, which will house a set inspired by the subway systems of San Francisco and Oakland.
tCLnH4p2VkKSisHTfFGoMtUAKcx8teDz_k8quQQ7fjHlW0ufaV_c4CO4smt1n0Rle0A5WtlIo6S3LIhHhXFXtxfOys6VVFM_mK_sepG166takr1odBrSHsQ7MRFO4c3oyA
duHkK8X-QwUoVhmg1ckVDv02K3bKDmA-Qe3IzOplkjIA1f_Q6Q-jOCKzqZMG5gmfNagmKAXUtP3ZReAXg3Y3i43unnYjQuoDl74eAQTg7kOsLXMsPuzcaTbZAdkVWg

VH1's Videopolis has been a chart-topper at Riverfront Square in St. Louis. Now an outdoor version comes to Disneyland in Anaheim.
VH1+logo+1988.png
pic31.jpg

videopolis3.jpg

Bally's and Six Kings are each jockeying for the Ghostbusters license from Paramount.
POS2-620x456.jpg

PNWKing

Banned
Are there any Marvel attractions at the Disney Parks?
Has CBS licensed to any park chain?
Would it be possible for Atari to partner with Phillips to develop a console with a CD drive? (Rather than an add-on.)

Not yet, but there will be soon.
I'm surprised that Disney hasn't taken the opportunity to incorporate Marvel in the parks yet. I mean, the least they could do is an Avengers stage show to test the waters a little, but when VH1 is at WDW before one of the most iconic comics publishers, you know there are problems of some kind.
Not yet. I'm trying to figure out if Bally's or Six Kings would be the right choice.
I'd say give Bally's the license of Ghostbusters, while Six Kings can get CBS on board. I mean, with the entire company, we can get DC Comics AND D&D in the parks, thus making that "Dungeons and Dragons ride!" statement that opens each episode of the cartoon a reality. Not entirely a reality, because a real-life isekai story would be too much to comprehend.

I'm surprised that Disney hasn't taken the opportunity to incorporate Marvel in the parks yet. I mean, the least they could do is an Avengers stage show to test the waters a little, but when VH1 is at WDW before one of the most iconic comics publishers, you know there are problems of some kind.

I'd say give Bally's the license of Ghostbusters, while Six Kings can get CBS on board. I mean, with the entire company, we can get DC Comics AND D&D in the parks, thus making that "Dungeons and Dragons ride!" statement that opens each episode of the cartoon a reality. Not entirely a reality, because a real-life isekai story would be too much to comprehend.
There have been Marvel walkaround characters, but rides have been a bit more challenging to conceptualize.

Nice ideas.

What are the top 10 best selling home videos of 1988, by publisher?
I'll post that shortly.

Let's have Star Trek III: The Voyage Home made and released in 1991 and co-star Eddie Murphy.
What character should he play?

Unless something's changed from the original, Rachel Stone.
Yup. It was Rachel.

@PNWKing
Best selling VHS/Laserdisc releases of 1988

ABC Video Enterprises
1) Splash (Touchstone Home Video)
2) Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar Rock
3) Schoolhouse Rock: Science Rock
4) The Muppet Movie (Touchstone)
5) The Muppets Take Manhattan
6) Down and Out in Beverly Hills
7) The Great Muppet Caper
8) Bert and Ernie (Hanna-Barbera series)
9) Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend
10) The Aristocats (Touchstone)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
1) Lady and the Tramp (1987 Classics Release)
2) Star Wars trilogy (20th Century-Fox)
3) ET: The Extra Terrestrial
4) Sleeping Beauty (1986 Classics Release)
5) The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross (Playhouse)
6) Huck's Landing (1987 Classics Release)
7) Pinocchio (1985 Classics Release)
8) The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (Playhouse)
9) Alvin and the Chipmunks (Playhouse)
10) Monty Python's Life of Brian (Hyperion)

CBS/Columbia Pictures Home Video
1) The Care Bears Movie (Magic Window)
2) Superman
3) Wonder Woman
4) Monty Python and the Holy Grail
5) Batman (1966 TV series)
6) The Beany and Cecil Show (Magic Window)
7) My Little Pony (Magic Window)
8) GI Joe: The Movie (Magic Window)
9) Transformers: The Movie (Magic Window)
10) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Carolco Home Video
1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hot Rodding Teenagers (FHE)
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Heroes in a Half-Shell (FHE)
3) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Shredder is Splintered (FHE)
4) A Gumby Celebration (FHE)
5) Gumby For President (FHE)
6) Xenomorphs (Grand Diamond)
7) Gumby's Fun Fling (FHE)
8) Inspector Gadget (FHE)
9) Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (FHE)
10) Predator (Grand Diamond)

MCA Home Video
1) Back to the Future
2) An American Tail
3) Jaws
4) Frankenstein
5) Dracula
6) The Wolf Man
7) A Wrinkle in Time
8) Sixteen Candles
9) The Mummy
10) The Creature from the Black Lagoon

Media Home Entertainment
1) Best of the Football Follies (Fox Hills Video; NFL Films)
2) A Charlie Brown Christmas (Hi-Tops)
3) Pee Wee's Playhouse (Hi-Tops)
4) Barbie and the Rockers: Out of this World (Hi-Tops)
5) Barbie Sensations: Rockin Back to Earth (Hi-Tops)
6) The Adventures of Felix the Cat (Hi-Tops; the Trans-Lux Entertainment series)
7) The World of Teddy Ruxpin (Hi-Tops)
8) My Pet Monster (Hi-Tops)
9) It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown (Hi-Tops)
10) Foxy Fables (Hi-Tops)

NBC/RKO Video
1) I Love Lucy (TV series)
2) Star Trek TOS
3) Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
4) Star Trek: The Motion Picture
5) Mission: Impossible (TV series)
6) The Best of Saturday Night Live
7) King Kong
8) Citizen Kane
9) Punky Brewster
10) Mannix (TV series)

Paramount Home Video
1) Top Gun
2) Beverly Hills Cop
3) Grease
4) Cheers (TV series)
5) Eddie Murphy: Delirious
6) Airplane!
7) 48 Hrs.
8) Saturday Night Fever
9) The Thief and the Cobbler
10) Charlotte's Web

Turner Home Entertainment
1) The Wizard of Oz
2) Casablanca
3) Gone with the Wind
4) 2001: A Space Odyssey
5) Spaceballs
6) From Russia with Love (007)
7) Red Sun Rising (007)
8) How the Grinch Stole Christmas
9) Screwball Classics
10) Thunderball (007)

Vestron Video (Changing its name to New Line Home Video in 1991)
1) Dirty Dancing
2) A Nightmare on Elm Street
3) The Terminator
4) RoboCop
5) Robotech
6) Platoon
7) Hoosiers
8) Three Amigos
9) Critters
10) National Geographic (TV Series)

Warner Home Video
1) Goonies
2) Gremlins
3) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
4) The Incredible Mr. Limpet
5) Pee Wee's Big Adventure
6) The Looney Tunes Video Show (Compilations of Post-1950 WB Cartoons)
7) Lethal Weapon
8) The Shining
9) Where the Wild Things Are
10) In the Night Kitchen

ABC Video Enterprises
1) Splash (Touchstone Home Video)
2) Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar Rock
3) Schoolhouse Rock: Science Rock
4) The Muppet Movie (Touchstone)
5) The Muppets Take Manhattan
6) Down and Out in Beverly Hills
7) The Great Muppet Caper
8) Bert and Ernie (Hanna-Barbera series)
9) Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend
10) The Aristocats (Touchstone)
I'd assume that The Jim Henson Company made a video deal with ABC to make this happen, because I wouldn't begin to know what this list would amount too without Michael Eisner on standby.
On that note, I'm impressed that Schoolhouse Rock has the 2nd and 3rd spots here.
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
1) Lady and the Tramp (1987 Classics Release)
2) Star Wars trilogy (20th Century-Fox)
3) ET: The Extra Terrestrial
4) Sleeping Beauty (1986 Classics Release)
5) The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross (Playhouse)
6) Huck's Landing (1987 Classics Release)
7) Pinocchio (1985 Classics Release)
8) The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (Playhouse)
9) Alvin and the Chipmunks (Playhouse)
10) Monty Python's Life of Brian (Hyperion)
If you count Monty Python's Life of Brian as a Disney film, then there's a slight majority in favor of Walt Disney Pictures.
CBS/Columbia Pictures Home Video
1) The Care Bears Movie (Magic Window)
2) Superman
3) Wonder Woman
4) Monty Python and the Holy Grail
5) Batman (1966 TV series)
6) The Beany and Cecil Show (Magic Window)
7) My Little Pony (Magic Window)
8) GI Joe: The Movie (Magic Window)
9) Transformers: The Movie (Magic Window)
10) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
So, how long until TriStar becomes a fully-owned CBS subsidiary? Because this should be proof of how well Columbia plays ball with them.
Carolco Home Video
1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hot Rodding Teenagers (FHE)
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Heroes in a Half-Shell (FHE)
3) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Shredder is Splintered (FHE)
4) A Gumby Celebration (FHE)
5) Gumby For President (FHE)
6) Xenomorphs (Grand Diamond)
7) Gumby's Fun Fling (FHE)
8) Inspector Gadget (FHE)
9) Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (FHE)
10) Predator (Grand Diamond)
You might as well replace the two Grand Diamond releases with more Family Home Entertainment tapes.
However, when you don't count them, it's interesting that Gumby is the second most sought-after franchise behind the TMNT.
MCA Home Video
1) Back to the Future
2) An American Tail
3) Jaws
4) Frankenstein
5) Dracula
6) The Wolf Man
7) A Wrinkle in Time
8) Sixteen Candles
9) The Mummy
10) The Creature from the Black Lagoon
Did you know that a Universal Monsters land was planned for OTL's Epic Universe? Because I can see why.
Media Home Entertainment
1) Best of the Football Follies (Fox Hills Video; NFL Films)
2) A Charlie Brown Christmas (Hi-Tops)
3) Pee Wee's Playhouse (Hi-Tops)
4) Barbie and the Rockers: Out of this World (Hi-Tops)
5) Barbie Sensations: Rockin Back to Earth (Hi-Tops)
6) The Adventures of Felix the Cat (Hi-Tops; the Trans-Lux Entertainment series)
7) The World of Teddy Ruxpin (Hi-Tops)
8) My Pet Monster (Hi-Tops)
9) It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown (Hi-Tops)
10) Foxy Fables (Hi-Tops)
I take back what I said about Carolco and FHE, because this is an even more lopsided case towards children's videos than that. And this is coming from a guy whose first VHS ever was a Winnie the Pooh tape.
NBC/RKO Video
1) I Love Lucy (TV series)
2) Star Trek TOS
3) Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
4) Star Trek: The Motion Picture
5) Mission: Impossible (TV series)
6) The Best of Saturday Night Live
7) King Kong
8) Citizen Kane
9) Punky Brewster
10) Mannix (TV series)
Glad to see Mission: Impossible being utilized in some way alongside the other two heavy hitters from Desilu.
Paramount Home Video
1) Top Gun
2) Beverly Hills Cop
3) Grease
4) Cheers (TV series)
5) Eddie Murphy: Delirious
6) Airplane!
7) 48 Hrs.
8) Saturday Night Fever
9) The Thief and the Cobbler
10) Charlotte's Web
The revelation that Ghostbusters isn't in the top 10 yet, despite Thief and Charlotte holding on for dear life, shocked me when I saw this.
Turner Home Entertainment
1) The Wizard of Oz
2) Casablanca
3) Gone with the Wind
4) 2001: A Space Odyssey
5) Spaceballs
6) From Russia with Love (007)
7) Red Sun Rising (007)
8) How the Grinch Stole Christmas
9) Screwball Classics
10) Thunderball (007)
With a lot less of Tex Avery's projects, what does the Screwball Classics line contain?
Vestron Video (Changing its name to New Line Home Video in 1991)
1) Dirty Dancing
2) A Nightmare on Elm Street
3) The Terminator
4) RoboCop
5) Robotech
6) Platoon
7) Hoosiers
8) Three Amigos
9) Critters
10) National Geographic (TV Series)
It's still a surprise that Robotech is made by New Line.
This makes me wonder. Is Harmony Gold even a thing without their only claim to fame?
Warner Home Video
1) Goonies
2) Gremlins
3) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
4) The Incredible Mr. Limpet
5) Pee Wee's Big Adventure
6) The Looney Tunes Video Show (Compilations of Post-1950 WB Cartoons)
7) Lethal Weapon
8) The Shining
9) Where the Wild Things Are
10) In the Night Kitchen
I suppose it does make sense that Chuck Jones would take up #6, #9, and #10 on this ranking. And I will say that The Looney Tunes Video Show is a very cohesive title for something as vast as this.

PNWKing

Banned
I have an idea for the third Star Trek film. Release date: April 1989. A Klingon general named K'Telah attempts to start a coup against the Klingon leader Darleth in order to restore the Klingons to their proper position. Kirk has to intervene and help Darleth from stopping the militarists from taking power.

Entertainment News for Late June 1988
MCA and CBS each buy out Paramount Communications' stake in TriStar Pictures. Paramount was the least active in the joint venture, merely leasing sound stages while CBS maintained home video distribution and MCA maintained the theme park rights.
- The Hollywood Reporter

An early sneak peek shows Marvel getting its own realm at the Disney-Fox Studios park under construction at the Walt Disney World resort. The superhero arm of the Disney conglomerate has been used sparingly with walkaround characters roaming the parks during Merry Marvel Marching Parades at the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland in Anaheim.
- The Orlando Sentinel

There may be two channels for comedy lovers to choose from next year. Bally, parent company of HBO is planning a Comedy Channel while the Jim Henson company has announced its intention to launch the HA! TV Comedy Network.
- TV Guide

The USFL's licensing and merchandising committee approves the nameless Baltimore franchise's application to rechristen as the Ravens.
- The Baltimore Sun

Portland, Cleveland, Kansas City, Newark and the Bay Area are on the shortlist for potential landing spots for the Quebec Nordiques who are currently up for sale.
- The Hockey News

With the summer blockbuster season of 1988 clearly belonging to Twentieth Century-Fox, Columbia Pictures chairman George Lucas is under intense pressure to deliver a box office hit with Batman slated to reach theatres in just 12 months.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Bally has approached Alan Ladd, Jr., Peter Guber and George Lucas for the opportunity to head the newly minted Hollywood Pictures.
- Entertainment Tonight

MCA and CBS each buy out Paramount Communications' stake in TriStar Pictures. Paramount was the least active in the joint venture, merely leasing sound stages while CBS maintained home video distribution and MCA maintained the theme park rights.
- The Hollywood Reporter
Will it still be called TriStar at that point?
An early sneak peek shows Marvel getting its own realm at the Disney-Fox Studios park under construction at the Walt Disney World resort. The superhero arm of the Disney conglomerate has been used sparingly with walkaround characters roaming the parks during Merry Marvel Marching Parades at the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland in Anaheim.
- The Orlando Sentinel
Wow! Good things come to those who wait, I suppose.
There may be two channels for comedy lovers to choose from next year. Bally, parent company of HBO is planning a Comedy Channel while the Jim Henson company has announced its intention to launch the HA! TV Comedy Network.
- TV Guide
I'd go with Henson's channel here. Not only does it have more than enough content to use, ranging from The Muppet Show in primetime to the mishaps of Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear in the mornings to a good amount of Touchstone films in the overnight hours, but the name coincides with the "Henson Associates" brand they were known as IOTL.
With the summer blockbuster season of 1988 clearly belonging to Twentieth Century-Fox, Columbia Pictures chairman George Lucas is under intense pressure to deliver a box office hit with Batman slated to reach theatres in just 12 months.
- The Hollywood Reporter
On the plus side, that means an extra year to make and market the film.
Bally has approached Alan Ladd, Jr., Peter Guber and George Lucas for the opportunity to head the newly minted Hollywood Pictures.
- Entertainment Tonight
I think Lucas will be all tied up at the moment with the Justice League, so I'd go with Ladd or Guber here.

PNWKing

Banned
Jim Henson launching HA! TV. Why do I think that means that a certain amateur puppeteer as of ITTL present day appearing on KTMA in Minneapolis will get help from the Creature Shop. I'd like to go with Peter Guber to run Hollywood Pictures.

PNWKing

Banned
In the original Rachel Stone is listed as being related to Rebecca Sugar, who is Jewish. I wonder how Daniel deals with having a son who is Jewish by Jewish religious law. (It is possible that @OldNavy1988 wasn't aware of Rebecca Sugar's heritage.) Of course, there is the ultimate question, although it would be fun to see Daniel oblige his wife's culture. On one hand Daniel might be sensitive as a result of his f****-up childhood, of anyone touching THAT part of his son's body.