As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

I'd love it too.
Great! And if you're wondering, the only reason why I did the "dollar sign eyes" emoji like that is because it wasn't readily available on this site.
Yes, the USA Cartoon Express exists and the Famous Studios library is there.
Good to know! After all, MCA does own Universal, as well as half of USA Network, hence why I asked if Universal's in-house cartoon studio would be involved.
Um, MCA does own Universal, doesn't it?

Given how Mickey's 60th birthday is a few years away, calling the chip MINNIE would help celebrate the occasion a fair bit early. Although, there are a few names that could work just as well on top of your two other suggestions.

ANNETTE: This is a reference to Annette Funicello from The Mickey Mouse Club.
SNOW: This is a reference to Snow White, the first Disney Princess.
MARY: This is a reference to Mary Poppins, and you could use "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" to help promote the new console.
AUDREY: This is a reference to Little Audrey, thus making it a reference to Harvey Comics, the Fox Movietoons of both old and new, and even a Marvel Comics reference. That last one is because Harvey Comics is a division of Marvel, thus making it a division of Disney all the same.
LUM: Okay, this one is a stretch in every sense of the word, but hear me out. Fox has become a champion in the anime industry, this raw power of theirs only came up after being bought by the Mouse, and Lum is the protagonist, or at least the one people flock to first, when it comes to one of Fox's most acclaimed anime dubs since first getting into the act. Alternatively, you could also reference this happy little accident of the studio by suggesting MAYA, after Maya the Bee.

Eh, while we're at it, just what kind of reference were you planning on by coming up with a name like TONI?
Better Idea, name it Yori after the Tron character.

Entertainment News for January 1986
Michael Eisner officially christens The Jim Henson Company at a press conference in Los Angeles.
- CNN

Walt Disney, Jr. acquires VH1 in hopes of competing with MTV, now owned by Ted Turner.
- Variety

Capital Cities/ABC acquires premium cable channels Showtime and The Movie Channel in a stunning upset.
- The New York Times

Right out of left field, Bally is in talks to acquire HBO and Cinemax from Time, Inc. Currently, Bally is the parent company of Bally/Midway Mfg., an industry leader in the world of arcade video games. Bally also owns theme parks like Magic Mountain outside of Los Angeles, Kentucky Kingdom outside of Louisville and Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. Last fall, Bally was outbid by MCA in the fight for Archie Comics. Meanwhile, Time ownership has decided to shed its non-print assets to narrow its focus on core products, which include iconic magazines like Time, Life and Sports Illustrated among others. Last year, Bally purchased the former Sesame Place in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area from Busch Entertainment and the Children's Television Workshop.
- The Chicago Tribune

The sale of Nickelodeon to The Jim Henson Company is a match made in heaven, say entertainment insiders.
- The Wall Street Journal

And now, the next round of STUDIO MUSICAL CHAIRS!!!
Orion Pictures
OUT:
Lou Scheimer
IN: Ron Miller

Universal Pictures
OUT:
Frank Price
IN: Jeffrey Katzenberg

Columbia Pictures
OUT:
Fay Vincent
IN: George Lucas

Paramount Pictures
OUT:
Frank Mancuso, Sr.
IN: Norman Lear

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (Turner)
OUT:
Jeffrey Katzenberg
IN: Vacant [1]

[1] At the moment, Turner is floating the idea of having MGM be a name-only brand of UA with Cubby Broccoli in charge. However, dissenters on the Turner board are pleading with Ted to interview the following candidates: Walter Hill, David Giler, Peter Guber, Richard Zanuck, Rob Reiner, Jerry Weintraub, Bill Mechanic, Kathleen Kennedy, Alan Ladd Jr, Howard Kazanjian, Gary Kurtz and Ned Tanen.

No changes
Walt Disney Pictures:

Walt Disney, Jr.

20th Century-Fox:
Frank Wells

United Artists:
Cubby Broccoli

Warner Bros.
Bob Daly

RKO Radio Pictures
Sherry Lansing

The Samuel Goldwyn Company
Samuel Goldwyn, Jr.

Miramax Films
Bob and Harvey Weinstein

Geffen Film Company
David Geffen

Grand Diamond Pictures
Roger Corman

Lorimar
Lee Rich
Merv Adelson
Irwin Molasky
Stuart Karl

The Jim Henson Company
Michael Eisner (Chairman of the Board)
Bernie Brillstein (Chief Operating Officer)
Jim Henson (Creative Director)
Bill Hanna (Creative Consultant)
Joe Barbera (Creative Consutlant)

NEW LINE/HEMDALE/VESTRON MERGER aka FREDDY VS. THE TERMINATOR
Hemdale Film Corporation is absorbed into New Line Cinema as part of Metromedia's purchase of New Line. In addition, Metromedia also acquired Vestron Video.
OUT:

Derek Gibson and John Daly, former Hemdale execs.
IN:
-
Bob Shaye, founder of New Line, retains his position as studio chairman.
- Austin Furst, head of Vestron Video.

Michael Eisner officially christens The Jim Henson Company at a press conference in Los Angeles.
- CNN
Walt Disney, Jr. acquires VH1 in hopes of competing with MTV, now owned by Ted Turner.
- Variety
Capital Cities/ABC acquires premium cable channels Showtime and The Movie Channel in a stunning upset.
- The New York Times
Right out of left field, Bally is in talks to acquire HBO and Cinemax from Time, Inc. Currently, Bally is the parent company of Bally/Midway Mfg., an industry leader in the world of arcade video games. Bally also owns theme parks like Magic Mountain outside of Los Angeles, Kentucky Kingdom outside of Louisville and Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. Last fall, Bally was outbid by MCA in the fight for Archie Comics. Meanwhile, Time ownership has decided to shed its non-print assets to narrow its focus on core products, which include iconic magazines like Time, Life and Sports Illustrated among others. Last year, Bally purchased the former Sesame Place in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area from Busch Entertainment and the Children's Television Workshop.
- The Chicago Tribune
The sale of Nickelodeon to The Jim Henson Company is a match made in heaven, say entertainment insiders.
- The Wall Street Journal

And now, the next round of STUDIO MUSICAL CHAIRS!!!
Orion Pictures
OUT:
Lou Scheimer
IN: Ron Miller
Universal Pictures
OUT:
Frank Price
IN: Jeffrey Katzenberg
Columbia Pictures
OUT:
Fay Vincent
IN: George Lucas
Paramount Pictures
OUT:
Frank Mancuso, Sr.
IN: Norman Lear
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (Turner)
OUT:
Jeffrey Katzenberg
IN: Vacant [1]
[1] At the moment, Turner is floating the idea of having MGM be a name-only brand of UA with Cubby Broccoli in charge. However, dissenters on the Turner board are pleading with Ted to interview the following candidates: Walter Hill, David Giler, Peter Guber, Richard Zanuck, Rob Reiner, Jerry Weintraub, Bill Mechanic, Kathleen Kennedy, Alan Ladd Jr, Howard Kazanjian, Gary Kurtz and Ned Tanen.
No changes
Walt Disney Pictures:

Walt Disney, Jr.
20th Century-Fox:
Frank Wells
United Artists:
Cubby Broccoli
Warner Bros.
Bob Daly
RKO Radio Pictures
Sherry Lansing
The Samuel Goldwyn Company
Samuel Goldwyn, Jr.
Miramax Films
Bob and Harvey Weinstein
Geffen Film Company
David Geffen
Grand Diamond Pictures
Roger Corman
Lorimar
Lee Rich
Merv Adelson
Irwin Molasky
Stuart Karl
The Jim Henson Company
Michael Eisner (Chairman of the Board)
Bernie Brillstein (Chief Operating Officer)
Jim Henson (Creative Director)
Bill Hanna (Creative Consultant)
Joe Barbera (Creative Consutlant)
NEW LINE/HEMDALE/VESTRON MERGER aka FREDDY VS. THE TERMINATOR
Hemdale Film Corporation is absorbed into New Line Cinema as part of Metromedia's purchase of New Line. In addition, Metromedia also acquired Vestron Video.
OUT:

Derek Gibson and John Daly, former Hemdale execs.
IN:
-
Bob Shaye, founder of New Line, retains his position as studio chairman.
- Austin Furst, head of Vestron Video.
At face value, it looks like the esteemed Lady Luck is on everyone's side as the New Year begins.
But I also didn't expect HBO and Cinemax to get sold to Bally.

I can't say I expected George Lucas to be the head of Columbia Pictures.
Maybe Bill Mechanic can be the new head of MGM? That way, he'd actually get to have a say in the business compared to his OTL tenure at Fox.
Glad to see a studio founder or two still in charge of the studio they founded after all these years.
Methinks that the new Jim Henson Company will be very successful in the coming decade.
Freddy vs. The Terminator. Say, that rings quite a bell for the film industry! A dream-invading killer versus a futuristic robot with the face of a human being! For once, I don't know who to bet on for this potential match!

The State of the Animation Industry as of 1986 (Part 1)
The State of the Animation Industry as of 1986

Muppet Babies, Gummi Bears and The Wuzzles each delivered on the promise of a new era at Hanna-Barbera. But will Fluppy Dogs be the next addition to the recent hit parade? We will learn this coming fall. On the big screen, look for The Aristocats, based on the highly acclaimed children's book by former Disney storyman Bill Peet.

With Orion's reputation battered and bruised, it's up to former Disney exec Ron Miller to nurse the ailing studio back to health. As was previously reported, Ron Miller placed Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids in the public domain with little to no fanfare.

Jem and the Holograms and My Little Pony have each brought in the big ratings for TriStar Television, Nelvana and Hasbro. On the big screen, look for Transformers: The Movie this fall, GI Joe: The Movie in 1987 and My Little Pony: The Movie in 1988. As part of MCA's co-ownership of TriStar with CBS and Gulf+Western, MCA will have the opportunity to bring Hasbro's franchises to the Universal Studios Tour in Los Angeles, as well as a park planned for Orlando by decades end.

After 58 years associated on-and-off with Universal Pictures, Walter Lantz will officially retire from Famous Studios, bringing about the end of an era. Jeffrey Katzenberg, a newcomer to animation, will have some ginormous shoes to fill in Lantz's inevitable absence. On the big screen, look for Lantz's farewell project An American Tail this Thanksgiving. Meanwhile on the small screen, Ralph Bakshi is gearing up for a Saturday morning revival of Mighty Mouse for the fall of 1987. Among the new faces at Famous is 21 year old Obie Scott Wade, a rookie on Famous's writing staff.

When The Black Cauldron fell on its ass, Walt Disney, Jr. decided it was time to make a switch. Whitey Larkin and Art Stevens were quietly dismissed after many years at the Disney studio. Most insiders feel Disney will bounce back quickly with Basil of Baker Street in theatres later this year. At video stores around the world, sales of the older animated Classics have gone through the roof.

Meanwhile on Pico Boulevard, the Movietoon revival at 20th Century-Fox has rival studios itching to hop back on the theatrical short train.

Miramax lost money on The Adventures of the American Rabbit, but that has not stopped Murakami-Wolf-Swenson. Not the least bit. Bigger things still await the tiny MWS studio by decade's end.

After years of package films combining classic cartoons with little new material, Warner Bros. has slated The Butter Battle Book for a Thanksgiving 1989 release. It will be the first collaboration between Dr. Seuss and Chuck Jones since the early Seventies. Another Jones/Seuss idea, Daisy-Head Mayzie, could be put into production at a later date. New to Warner Bros. are Greg Ford and Darrell Van Citters, the latter formerly of Disney. Speaking of Disney, Warner Bros. has officially given Disney's Fox division special permission to use the iconic Looney Tunes in a live action/animation hybrid set for a Summer 1988 release. In the meantime, production has begun on Daffy Duck's Quackbusters, slated for Fall 1988.

DiC has been on a roll on the small screen with The Littles and Inspector Gadget as its biggest hits. The biggest project in DiC's history awaits as Paramount Television has ordered a Ghostbusters animated series to air in the Fall of 1986.

The State of the Animation Industry as of 1986

Muppet Babies, Gummi Bears and The Wuzzles each delivered on the promise of a new era at Hanna-Barbera. But will Fluppy Dogs be the next addition to the recent hit parade? We will learn this coming fall. On the big screen, look for The Aristocats, based on the highly acclaimed children's book by former Disney storyman Bill Peet.

With Orion's reputation battered and bruised, it's up to former Disney exec Ron Miller to nurse the ailing studio back to health. As was previously reported, Ron Miller placed Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids in the public domain with little to no fanfare.

Jem and the Holograms and My Little Pony have each brought in the big ratings for TriStar Television, Nelvana and Hasbro. On the big screen, look for Transformers: The Movie this fall, GI Joe: The Movie in 1987 and My Little Pony: The Movie in 1988. As part of MCA's co-ownership of TriStar with CBS and Gulf+Western, MCA will have the opportunity to bring Hasbro's franchises to the Universal Studios Tour in Los Angeles, as well as a park planned for Orlando by decades end.

After 58 years associated on-and-off with Universal Pictures, Walter Lantz will officially retire from Famous Studios, bringing about the end of an era. Jeffrey Katzenberg, a newcomer to animation, will have some ginormous shoes to fill in Lantz's inevitable absence. On the big screen, look for Lantz's farewell project An American Tail this Thanksgiving. Meanwhile on the small screen, Ralph Bakshi is gearing up for a Saturday morning revival of Mighty Mouse for the fall of 1987. Among the new faces at Famous is 21 year old Obie Scott Wade, a rookie on Famous's writing staff.

When The Black Cauldron fell on its ass, Walt Disney, Jr. decided it was time to make a switch. Whitey Larkin and Art Stevens were quietly dismissed after many years at the Disney studio. Most insiders feel Disney will bounce back quickly with Basil of Baker Street in theatres later this year. At video stores around the world, sales of the older animated Classics have gone through the roof.
Meanwhile on Pico Boulevard, the Movietoon revival at 20th Century-Fox has rival studios itching to hop back on the theatrical short train.

Miramax lost money on The Adventures of the American Rabbit, but that has not stopped Murakami-Wolf-Swenson. Not the least bit. Bigger things still await the tiny MWS studio by decade's end.

After years of package films combining classic cartoons with little new material, Warner Bros. has slated The Butter Battle Book for a Thanksgiving 1989 release. It will be the first collaboration between Dr. Seuss and Chuck Jones since the early Seventies. Another Jones/Seuss idea, Daisy-Head Mayzie, could be put into production at a later date. New to Warner Bros. are Greg Ford and Darrell Van Citters, the latter formerly of Disney. Speaking of Disney, Warner Bros. has officially given Disney's Fox division special permission to use the iconic Looney Tunes in a live action/animation hybrid set for a Summer 1988 release. In the meantime, production has begun on Daffy Duck's Quackbusters, slated for Fall 1988.

DiC has been on a roll on the small screen with The Littles and Inspector Gadget as its biggest hits. The biggest project in DiC's history awaits as Paramount Television has ordered a Ghostbusters animated series to air in the Fall of 1986.
I'm amazed at this! However, I have two questions about HB's slate.
1: Will The Aristocats be made with the Creature Shop puppetry or hand-drawn animation?
2: With Muppet Babies being an HB production, will this halt shows like The Flintstone Kids and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo? Or will there be an even greater chance of that subgenre of children's entertainment within the company?

It's gonna take a frickin miracle to save Orion. Or, if all else fails, a bucketload of money.

Are there any more collaborations in the works between the three companies? Regardless, the prospect of Hasbro getting in bed with Universal Studios Florida at the start makes me incredibly happy.

May God bless Katzenberg's heart for taking on this job. In the meantime, I hope that An American Tail does well enough as Lantz's last go-around with the globe.
If Mighty Mouse's comeback is anything like OTL, I hope this actually has a longterm plan of success.
Alright, I'll bite. When do you plan on launching SheZow ITTL?

Well, we can't all be perfect. I mean, there's plenty of other things in Disney that made money quickly. And besides, I agree with the majority of the insiders on this one.
Let me tell you. If one of those studios is Universal, that would make Lantz's retirement seem like terrible timing for both him and the company.

Give it time, I'm sure they'll bring in some genuine profit eventually.
Everyone, say it with me.
COWABUNGA!!!!!

So, Chuck and Teddy are coming back together to their old stomping grounds? All right! And the two movies that are planned are great choices for said comeback!
And if life couldn't get any sweeter, the Looney Tunes are going to meet up with their greatest rival in more ways than one. Woo-hoo!

Barring their rendition of Heathcliff, which has been doing numbers on ABC since being Bert and Ernie's abrupt replacement in November 1984. However, I think that's the only exception after Gadget and The Littles. Still, I can't wait for what they'll be cooking up with The Real Ghostbusters. Hehehe.

Will Katzenburg leave Universal to from a new studio with Steplberg and Geffen or will the k in Dreamworks SGK be Kathleen Kennedy like in the original American magic

Part 2 of The State of Animation in 1986
I'm amazed at this! However, I have two questions about HB's slate.
1: Will The Aristocats be made with the Creature Shop puppetry or hand-drawn animation?
2: With Muppet Babies being an HB production, will this halt shows like The Flintstone Kids and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo? Or will there be an even greater chance of that subgenre of children's entertainment within the company?

It's gonna take a frickin miracle to save Orion. Or, if all else fails, a bucketload of money.

Are there any more collaborations in the works between the three companies? Regardless, the prospect of Hasbro getting in bed with Universal Studios Florida at the start makes me incredibly happy.

May God bless Katzenberg's heart for taking on this job. In the meantime, I hope that An American Tail does well enough as Lantz's last go-around with the globe.
If Mighty Mouse's comeback is anything like OTL, I hope this actually has a longterm plan of success.
Alright, I'll bite. When do you plan on launching SheZow ITTL?

Well, we can't all be perfect. I mean, there's plenty of other things in Disney that made money quickly. And besides, I agree with the majority of the insiders on this one.
Let me tell you. If one of those studios is Universal, that would make Lantz's retirement seem like terrible timing for both him and the company.

Give it time, I'm sure they'll bring in some genuine profit eventually.
Everyone, say it with me.
COWABUNGA!!!!!

So, Chuck and Teddy are coming back together to their old stomping grounds? All right! And the two movies that are planned are great choices for said comeback!
And if life couldn't get any sweeter, the Looney Tunes are going to meet up with their greatest rival in more ways than one. Woo-hoo!

Barring their rendition of Heathcliff, which has been doing numbers on ABC since being Bert and Ernie's abrupt replacement in November 1984. However, I think that's the only exception after Gadget and The Littles. Still, I can't wait for what they'll be cooking up with The Real Ghostbusters. Hehehe.

1. Aristocats will be hand-drawn by HB.
2. There will still be babyfication. After the original Scooby proved successful, HB launched similar shows like Goober and the Ghost Chasers and Clue Club.

Orion has Warren Buffett's backing as far as money goes.

Potato Head Kids will spin-off from the My Little Pony show later this year. And don't forget Nelvana and TriStar also have the Care Bears license from American Greetings. And lest we forget, with Nelvana and TriStar's partnership, look for Rambo: The Force of Freedom on Saturday mornings this fall.

Without Krazylooney around to ruin everything, Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures should be in better shape ITTL.

Shezow might have to wait a few years, but it's gotta be the right time to make the most impact. Plus, Obie Scott Wade will need the right people to help make the show better than it was in 2013 IOTL. I dunno who the right collaborator would be, but it could be Seth MacFarlane, could be Bob Camp, could be Brad Bird, could be Pat Ventura, could be Tom Ruegger, could be Bruce Timm.

But to make sure Basil makes the most money, it can't go head-to-head with American Tail. American Tail already has the Aristocats going head-to-head.

Daniel Abbott: "To be able to use the Looney Tunes in the same scenes as some of Disney's characters in Who Framed Roger Rabbit seemed like a pipe dream just a few years earlier. As soon as we got Warners' blessing, that made it easier to convince Turner to let us use the old MGM characters and for Lantz to let Woody and the Fleischer-Terry characters appear and so on. But just having Disney and Warners together, for me at least, was like having Manchester United and Liverpool form a super-team to play against the Soviets."

MWS will indeed produce the TMNT series. Playmates will still produce the toys and Family Home Entertainment (FHE) will still have the home video rights like they did IOTL.

With Butter Battle Book set for a 1989 release, Mr. Geisel might not live to see Daisy-Head Mayzie complete. Mayzie will likely come out around '92 and I might have either Christina Ricci, Mayim Bialik or Thora Birch provide the voice of the main character.

Paramount has high hopes that the Ghostbusters series will soften the blow of their messy divorce with Richard Williams.

Now for Part 2 of The State of Animation in 1986.

The newest challenger to enter the ring is Klasky-Csupo.

Film Roman has officially taken over the Garfield license from Bill Melendez. However, with more primetime specials lined up, fans of the lasagna-loving feline will have to wait till Fall 1988 for a Saturday Morning series. Mark Evanier has been hired as the head writer for the potential series, having previously worked for Famous Studios on A Wrinkle in Time and Woody Woodpecker: Behind the Laughter.

Sales of Playhouse Video's VHS and Laserdisc copies of Alvin and the Chipmunks have proven to be a steady revenue stream for both Bagdasarian Productions and Ruby-Spears. Ruby-Spears has also kept busy producing the Punky Brewster series for RKO Television. Look for Lazer Tag Academy and Chuck Norris: Karate Commandos on the small screen this fall.

It's been a while since Rankin-Bass has had a hit outside of their Christmas specials. Thundercats has proven to be a huge hit in syndication, with hopes that the series will be picked up by one of the Big Four networks this fall. Rankin-Bass will have some decisions to make regarding the licensing of Thundercats, with Archie, DC or Eclipse as front-runners for a possible comic book adaptation. For VHS and Laserdisc, the studio will have plenty of options.

Last edited: