As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Will Atari take up Nintendo's offer to distribute the NES?
It depends on what happens with Coleco:
Wikipedia said:
Nintendo also had its sights set on the North American market, entering into negotiations with Atari to release the Famicom under Atari's name as the Nintendo Advanced Video Gaming System. The deal was set to be finalized and signed at the Summer Consumer Electronics Show in June 1983. However, Atari discovered at that show that its competitor Coleco was illegally demonstrating its Coleco Adam computer with Nintendo's Donkey Kong game. This violation of Atari's exclusive license with Nintendo to publish the game for its own computer systems delayed the implementation of Nintendo's game console marketing contract with Atari. Atari's CEO Ray Kassar was fired the next month, so the deal went nowhere, and Nintendo decided to market its system on its own.

Going Undercover
Is Daniel Abbott about to join Ruby-Spears or Hanna-Barbera?

"That night, May 14, 1981, I thought I was going to meet Richard at the Tam O'Shanter, because he was in town for his annual visit to the Disney studios."

"Instead, I was greeted by FBI agents and thrown into an unmarked van with tinted windows. Next thing I knew, I was being told to lift up my shirt so that the agents could tape a tiny microphone to my chest."

"Apparently, the woman I was whispering to on a previous visit to the Tam O'Shanter turned out to be an undercover agent. It was the previous January when I first saw her, modestly dressed and with a beer in her hand. Without any indication that she worked in law enforcement, I had whispered in her ear about the way John Kricfalusi behaved when Dana Plato (then 16) visited the Filmation office."

"It was on that warm evening in May, that the Feds had received a reliable tip that John had just landed a job at Hanna-Barbera and that I would be going undercover as a fake HB employee to help their investigation."

- Daniel Abbott; From his book Sex, Drugs and Disney Animation

Last edited:
"That night, May 14, 1981, I thought I was going to meet Richard at the Tam O'Shanter, because he was in town for his annual visit to the Disney studios."

"Instead, I was greeted by FBI agents and thrown into an unmarked van with tinted windows. Next thing I knew, I was being told to lift up my shirt so they agents to tape a tiny microphone to my chest."

"Apparently, the woman I was whispering to on a previous visit to the Tam O'Shanter turned out to be an undercover agent. It was the previous January when I first saw her, modestly dressed and with a beer in her hand. Without any indication that she worked in law enforcement, I had whispered in her ear about the way John Kricfalusi behaved when Dana Plato (then 16) visited the Filmation office."

"It was on that warm evening in May, that the Feds had received a reliable tip that John had just landed a job at Hanna-Barbera and that I would be going undercover as a fake HB employee to help their investigation."

Okay. I have two things to say on this...

On the one hand, seeing a Disney animator become an undercover agent is quite a turn for the bizarre.

On the other hand, I hope we don't see a repeat of the original American Magic, where it quickly became an excuse to make yet another rant on John K.'s less admired side that, come to think of it, could have just as easily been used with a pencil and paper and tossed into the wastebasket.

Okay. I have two things to say on this...

On the one hand, seeing a Disney animator become an undercover agent is quite a turn for the bizarre.

On the other hand, I hope we don't see a repeat of the original American Magic, where it quickly became an excuse to make yet another rant on John K.'s less admired side that, come to think of it, could have just as easily been used with a pencil and paper and tossed into the wastebasket.

I'll make sure to keep an eye on that.

"Instead, I was greeted by FBI agents and thrown into an unmarked van with tinted windows. Next thing I knew, I was being told to lift up my shirt so they agents to tape a tiny microphone to my chest."

James Bond-like, I love it.

PNWKing

Banned
As for the whole "Americans for Responsible Television" thing, there is one person who's opinion truly matters, who could fend off the FCC. And that person is Margaret Loesch.

As for the whole "Americans for Responsible Television" thing, there is one person who's opinion truly matters, who could fend off the FCC. And that person is Margaret Loesch.

True. But keep in mind that the AFRTV group is mainly made up of people with little to no knowledge of animation.