As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Wikipedia said:
Selleck had recently worked on the pilot episode of Magnum, P.I. and was contractually obligated to that show if it were to be made into a full series. He had 10 days left on his contract when Lucas and Spielberg asked the show's studio, CBS, to release him early so they could begin filming Raiders of the Lost Ark. When CBS realized that Selleck was in demand, they greenlit Magnum P.I., forcing him to drop out.
Maybe have Lucas and Spielberg play it cool, let Selleck's contract run out and poach him after. Yes we potentially lose Magnus, P.I., but the show could get picked up with a new actor playing Thomas Magnum or another character name Magnum.

Last edited:
Maybe have Lucas and Spielberg play it cool, let Selleck's contract run out and poach him after. Yes we potentially lose Magnus, P.I., but the show could get picked up with a new actor playing Thomas Magnum or another character name Magnum.
It seem that Tom Selleck could have done both Magnum and Raiders:
Magnum PI Wiki said:
Selleck's contract commitment to the Magnum, P.I. series famously cost him the role of Indiana Jones in the first Indiana Jones film, Raiders of the Lost Ark, which went to Harrison Ford. Selleck was unable to take the part of Jones as Magnum was due to start filming in March 1980. Owing to the 1980 AFTRA/Screen Actors Guild strike, production of Magnum was delayed until December 1980, which would have allowed Selleck to play Jones.

Last edited:
It seem that Tom Selleck could have done both Magnum and Raiders:

Alright. But do we still give Blade Runner to Harrison Ford?

Alright. But do we still give Blade Runner to Harrison Ford?
I would say yes:
Wikipedia said:
Harrison Ford was ultimately chosen for several reasons, including his performance in the Star Wars films, Ford's interest in the Blade Runner story, and discussions with Steven Spielberg who was finishing Raiders of the Lost Ark at the time and strongly praised Ford's work in the film.

Entertainment News for Early May 1981
A newly formed anti-obscenity group called Americans for Responsible Television calls on 20th Century-Fox to edit out underwear exposure and other instances of "fanservice" from its English dubs of Japanese cartoons.
- The Washington Post

Home Box Office acquires the pay-cable license for Disney's The Snow Queen.
- TV Guide

Disney confirms a second park will be opened in Japan.
- The New York Times

The immediate future of MGM's Culver City backlot is now uncertain after the troubled film company was sold to Ted Turner.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Another Chance? Part 1
"I had been out of the animation business for about four months after quitting my job at Filmation. It was during that four month span that I started smoking cannabis, which I found helpful in calming my violent temper."

"Once again, I applied for work at Nelvana, Ruby-Spears, Hanna-Barbera and Famous Studios. Even when I was filling out these applications, I began having premonitions of Lou Scheimer hiring a hitman to destroy me in order to protect the reputation of the Fat Albert programme, which at that time was still the one true moneymaker for Filmation."

"The incident that really led to my resignation from Filmation came a week after ABC cancelled the Katzenjammer Kids. Dana Plato was already playing the big sister on Diff'rent Strokes when she came to audition for the titular role on the Magical Girl programme I was working on with John Kricfalusi. Dana had just turned 16 when she came to our studio. Right away, I knew something was seriously wrong with John's demeanor when Scheimer and Prescott gave Dana a tour of our storyboard room. As soon as Dana left our offices to be picked up by her mum, John was still blushing and clutching a sketchboard in front of himself. That's when I reached for a folding chair and was about to bash John over the head. Suddenly, Lou called my name and I tossed the chair aside. I explained to Lou my side of the story the best I could, but he shrugged the whole thing off."

"By May of '81, I was still unemployed. One night, I was watching the telly with a pizza and some beer when the phone rang."

"It was Richard Williams checking in to see how I was doing."

- Daniel Abbott; from his book "Sex, Drugs and Disney Animation."

A newly formed anti-obscenity group called Americans for Responsible Television calls on 20th Century-Fox to edit out underwear exposure and other instances of "fanservice" from its English dubs of Japanese cartoons.
- The Washington Post
How about a compromise? 20th Century Fox censors the anime programs they dub for Saturday Mornings, in exchange for no censorship during the primetime dubs. I mean, there's nothing that says that Margaret Loesch's group of people can force primetime animation to be set back a decade or so.

How about a compromise? 20th Century Fox censors the anime programs they dub for Saturday Mornings, in exchange for no censorship during the primetime dubs. I mean, there's nothing that says that Margaret Loesch's group of people can force primetime animation to be set back a decade or so.

Both Fox and Loesch are in a bit of a pickle, because the AFRTV group is mainly right wing, hard right at that, and extremely squeamish towards anything remotly suggestive.

I would like that, but that wouldn't stop groups like them from wanting to censor anything. I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say this could end bad for anime for a while. Though I honestly avoid stuff like that. (Personally hate censorship groups who are doing this to make things worse instead of actually helping. I just feel that if you don't like something, don't be an a**clown about it)

Both Fox and Loesch are in a bit of a pickle, because the AFRTV group is mainly right wing, hard right at that, and extremely squeamish towards anything remotly suggestive.
Oh boy.. Hopefully things will work out. Hate to have them get their way too soon and make them get rid of cartoons on Saturday Morning or in general.

kirbopher15

Kicked
I would not expect so because in some markets dragon ball z was prime time