As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

If Apocalypse Now hadn't been made yet ITTL, I'd recommend casting Jack Nicholson as Kurtz--he'd have been better than Marlon Brando (watch The Shining for an idea of how he might play Kurtz)...

PNWKing

Banned
There are a few companies I'd like to see survive: Burger Chef, Commodore, and Gateway. Oh yeah, and I forgot Blockbuster. Also Safeway and Sears deserve more than a quiet slide into irrelevance.

I brought all the wrestling talk up because I have two proposals for the three of you. What if Vince and Linda had a fallout with Vince Sr and decided to do Titan Sports Wrestling on their own while the WWF stayed in the NWA?
The second proposal involves David Von Erich staying in college to finish his bachelor's in wellness and health? What he brings to the table in World Class could save the rest of his brothers from the various suicides and drug issues, but also alienate many of the top stars (Gino Hernandez) from the promotion because they can't sober up.

Why not do both at the same time? Nothing is stoping one and the other from happening.

Now, as for who could bring wrestling to the mainstream in the US, aside from the aformentioned billionaire ted and bill watts (i don't believe watts would've succeeded IMO. Too old-fashioned.), you might have either verne gagne change his mind on hulk hogan and finally put the goddamn AWA belt on him at super sunday, or either hogan swallows up his pride and accept giving a share of his earnings from japan to verne (Highly unlikely IMO), verne doesn't make such a foolish demand, or he somehow dies and somebody else takes over the AWA. Remember, AWA eventually got a TV Deal with ESPN. Can you imagine the likes of hogan, rick martel, curt hennig, the road warriors, the midnight rockers and whoever this TL's AWA would bring on ESPN? on prime time? That could be huge! You would have a 4-way promotion wars in the US with AWA (with the aformentioned stars), WCW, UWF and WCCW (especially with david proning for a more strict health regimen), with lawler and memphis being the odd indy fed 5th horse.

Now, just because vince Jr. Doesn't take over WWF doesn't mean the Fed won't stay behind. I'm pretty sure vince Sr. Would like to have his share of the national pie... after all, new york's pretty hard to turn down, and he would have to make his move in the impending national wars...

Last edited:
If Apocalypse Now hadn't been made yet ITTL, I'd recommend casting Jack Nicholson as Kurtz--he'd have been better than Marlon Brando (watch The Shining for an idea of how he might play Kurtz)...
And he would easier to work with than Brando IIRC.
There are a few companies I'd like to see survive: Burger Chef, Commodore, and Gateway. Oh yeah, and I forgot Blockbuster. Also Safeway and Sears deserve more than a quiet slide into irrelevance.
I agree with all of these except for Gateway (only because I don't know who they are) and Safeway (because they still thriving fairly strong here in Denver). We could save Blockbuster by having them agree to the Netflix deal.

Why not do both at the same time? Nothing is stoping one and the other from happening.

Now, as for who could bring wrestling to the mainstream in the US, aside from the aformentioned billionaire ted and bill watts (i don't believe watts would've succeeded IMO. Too old-fashioned.), you might have either verne gagne change his mind on hulk hogan and finally put the goddamn AWA belt on him at super sunday, or either hogan swallows up his pride and accept giving a share of his earnings from japan to verne (Highly unlikely IMO), verne doesn't make such a foolish demand, or he somehow dies and somebody else takes over the AWA. Remember, AWA eventually got a TV Deal with ESPN. Can you imagine the likes of hogan, rick martel, curt hennig, the road warriors, the midnight rockers and whoever this TL's AWA would bring on ESPN? on prime time? That could be huge! You would have a 4-way promotion wars in the US with AWA (with the aformentioned stars), WCW, UWF and WCCW (especially with david proning for a more strict health regimen), with lawler and memphis being the odd indy fed 5th horse.

Now, just because vince Jr. Doesn't take over WWF doesn't mean the Fed won't stay behind. I'm pretty sure vince Sr. Would like to have his share of the national pie... after all, new york's pretty hard to turn down, and he would have to make his move in the impending national wars...
That's what I'm leaning towards doing. From there, David would put together his own promotion (SuperClash Wrestling), alongside Memphis, Stampede, St. Louis (Harley Race ends up buying the territory out from Sam Muchnick after Starrcade while making an offer.

As for Vince Jr., he'd be considered to be brought in, but Vince wants to be his own boss so no.
Finally for the AWA, squeezing blood from a stone seemed to be more likely to happen than getting Verne to put the belt on Hogan. At best, Hogan will get his run with the belt but get screwed over by Verne once he gets stale.

PNWKing

Banned
I wonder if either Grand Diamond or Warner Bros. has considered a deal with the BBC to import Doctor Who to the United States.

Questions submitted by @Mitch!

For one thing, there was the mixed reaction to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when it was released to theaters in 1979. How much money did it make at the box office, and will it be enough for Richard Williams to finish a version of The Thief and the Cobbler, and if so, which?

A:
The Thief and the Cobbler had been in and out of production since 1964. So with half of the film finished, Williams should be in good shape to get the money from UA to complete the film.

Speaking of which, the original American Magic had Williams strike gold when he adapted The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, into three films of his own. The windfall that followed led to him releasing The Thief and the Cobbler in 1985. What became of the Middle-earth saga?

A: Saul Zaentz sold the LOTR film rights to Universal Pictures just recently [late 1979]. But because the technology is not yet available to do Tolkien's vision justice, Universal might just sit on the property till Peter Jackson comes along.

There’s also the situation regarding the introduction of the United Artists “Paperclip” logo in the opening credits of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Was the alternate jingle considered for the logo’s debut, or was the ominous five-note intro always planned to play on its opening night?

A: I don't know of any other jingles. The jingle used in Wardrobe was the one most common.

Finally, on a lesser note, there’s the conundrum over the ideas that Williams, and a young Howard Ashman, had in mind when it came to adapting the original novel as a movie. Who had which idea in mind, why did the C. S. Lewis estate turn them down, and who was in the right?

A: Williams and Ashman were both in the right, wanting to give the Pevensie kids more motivation to lead the fight to protect Narnia from the White Witch. The CS Lewis estate was in the wrong for stubbornly wanting a straighter adaptation without even the slightest deviations.

1941 (1980 Film)
1941.jpg

Released on January 18, 1980

Distributor
Universal Pictures (US)
Columbia Pictures (International)

Producer
Ivan Reitman
John Milius

Director
John Landis

Music by