Arthur – Duke of Brittany, Duke of Aquitaine, King of Sicily 1187 – 1250

verse 1
Arthur – Duke of Brittany, Duke of Aquitaine, King of Sicily 1187 – 1250

Heinrich_VI_-_Konstanze_von_Sizilien.jpg

Verse 1

1192, Constance of Sicily is released, a few months after reuniting with her husband after being captive for a long time, Constance of Sicily is revealed to be pregnant, her husband would expect for a son, but Constance would give birth to a daughter instead, named after her mother on the early 1193, she is named as Constance.

The Captive Richard, Henry VI Count Leopold V would negotiate the terms of King Richard I's release, Richard I would have Eleanor, the niece of Richard I marry his son Frederick, Richard would also demand that Constance the younger, the daughter of Henry VI would marry his nephew Arthur of Brittany in exchange as well in exchange, Henry VI would demand that Arthur and Eleanor be on the custody of the Emperor on 1194, which Richard complied for his release and the two were accompanied by Baldwin of Bethune.

On 1194 Sicily was conquered by Henry VI for his wife, Constance I of Sicily, in this time Eleanor and Arthur were given to the custody of the Emperor in order for the marriages to happen.

Eleanor is married to Frederick of Austria on 1195 which would link the Italian and Aquitainian Plantagenets to the Austrian Royal house, Eleanor of Brittany and Frederick apparently liked each other.

On 1197, Emperor Henry VI is crowned as King of Sicily but dies a few months and Constance of Sicily would reign and supported the betrothal between Arthur and her daughter Constance.

Constance of Brittany would divorce her second husband Ranulf of Blondville and remarry to Guy of Thouars on 1198 with the support of Richard, she would have a son named Conan(1199) and a daughter named Alix(1201) from this marriage, on 1200, Arthur and his fiance, Constance of Sicily would visit Brittany in order to visit Brittany which he would inherit in the Future.

Berengaria of Navarre would remarry to Philip II on 1200, further angering the Pope due to Philip II petitioning a divorce with Ingeborg of Denmark who gave birth to a son named Philip on the early part of 1194, which he denied parentage, Berengaria would give birth to a son named Robert on 1200 and a daughter named Marie on 1202 which shown that the non-consummation of the marriage was the fault of Richard and Richard did not care about his own previous wife, Pope Innocent III separates Berengaria and Philip on 1203, the pope would grant Berengaria's son the legitimacy for succession in Navarre and restore Ingeborg as the rightful Queen of France, Philip would never touch Ingeborg again since their wedding night.

Berengaria of Navarre would remarry to Philip II on 1200, further angering the Pope due to Philip II petitioning a divorce with Ingeborg of Denmark who gave birth to a son named Philip on the early part of 1194, which he denied parentage, Berengaria would give birth to a son named Robert on 1200 and a daughter named Marie on 1202 which shown that the non-consummation of the marriage was the fault of Richard and Richard did not care about his own previous wife, Pope Innocent II separates Berengaria and Philip on 1203, the pope would grant Berengaria's son the legitimacy for succession in Navarre and restore Ingeborg as the rightful Queen of France, Philip would never touch Ingeborg again since their wedding night.

Richard would give the inheritance of Aquitaine to his nephew meaning that he would inherit it once Richard dies, Arthur since his ancestral territories and the territories of his future wife Constance are nearby to Aquitaine, on Richard's return to England on 1201 to crown his wife Isabella of Jerusalem as the Queen of England, this would mean that John would never be able to divorce his wife Hawise of Gloucester.

note:
This is a Biographical Timeline so I will stop it once Arthur dies but I might expand it on another thread

Last edited:
verse 2
300px-Angevin_empire.svg.png

Verse 2

On his return, Richard would decide that John would be his regent in England and send his mother, Eleanor to pick one of his nieces as the wife of Louis VIII because in 1198, Philip and Richard had already made peace and one of his nieces should be married to Louis VIII.

On 1201, Eleanor would land in Castile to pick a bride for Louis VIII and she wanted Blanche, however the original proposed bride is Urraca and her daughter would insist that Urraca should marry Louis VIII, so Urraca was sent to France.

Urraca would safely travel with Eleanor on 1201 to Normandy in order to marry her to Louis VIII based on the treaty, Urraca would take the name Alix on her arrival to Normandy making her known as Alix or Alicia.

"The Treaty of Le Goulet was signed by the kings Richard I of England and Philip II of France in May 1202 and aimed to ultimately settle the claims the Angevin kings of England had on French lands. Hence, it aimed to bring an end to the war over the Duchy of Normandy and finalise the new borders of what was left of the duchy, as well as the future relationship of the king of France and the dukes of Normandy. The treaty was a victory for Philip as it asserted his legal claims to overlordship over John's French lands.

"The terms of the treaty signed at le Goulet, on the Gueuleton island in the middle of the Seine river near Vernon in Normandy, Richard I, acknowledged the Counts of Boulogne and Flanders as vassals of the kings of France, not those of England, and recognised Philip as the suzerain of the continental lands in the Angevin Empire. John also bound himself not to support any rebellions on the part of the counts of Boulogne and Flanders.

Philip had previously recognised Richard as suzerain of Anjou and the Duchy of Brittany, but with the treaty of le Goulet he extorted 20,000 marks sterling in payment for recognition of Richard's sovereignty of Brittany.

The Duchy of Aquitaine was not included in the treaty. It was still held by John as heir to his still-living mother, Eleanor. The treaty was sealed with a marriage alliance between the Angevin and Capetian dynasties. Richard's niece Urraca, daughter of his sister Leonora and Alfonso VIII of Castile, married Philip's eldest son, Louis VIII of France. "

After the treaty of Le Goulet, Urraca would be known as Alice of Castile, the name she took on arriving on Normandy.

Alice’s dowry lands are Évreux, Issoudun, Vexin and Graçay; her dower Hesdin, Bapaume, and Lens, this would fix the relationship of the Plantagenets and the Capetians in the Future.

After fetching Urraca, Eleanor of Aquitaine would retire in Fontravraud where she would die in 1203.

Eleanor of Brittany, Arthur's sister would give birth to a daughter named Constance of Austria on 1201, followed by two further sons named Henry(1203) and Frederick(1205) and one daughter Eleanor(1212), Eleanor and Frederick's line will survive in Male line in the 13th century while Helena Angelina and Leopold's line will die in the male line by the 13th century.

Arthur would enjoy the company of his mother in law, Constance I of Sicily and his future wife Constance of Sicily, the two would grow up to love each other, the two were married on 1208 and consummated their marriage on 1209.

Last edited:
Verse 3
212px-Kingdom_of_Sicily_1154.svg.png

Verse 3

On 1208, Richard would confirm the inheritance of Aquitaine to Arthur and his sons inheritance of Angevin Empire, he would give Aquitaine and Anjou to Arthur and Normandy and England to his own sons Henry and Geoffroy and the inheritance of Jerusalem to Geoffroy, his wife Isabella of Jerusalem would die on 1209 having Geoffroy crowned as the monarch of Jerusalem.

Richard I would approach Innocent III to gain a dispensation for the marriage between Alice of Champagne and Theobald the son of Theobald of Champagne and Blanche of Navarre in order to settle the dispute between his nephews and nieces Theobald and Alice of Champagne, but Innocent III would never accept it, rather Alice of Champagne would marry someone of Richard's liking, marrying her to the Leonese heir Ferdinand on 1210 and marry his niece Mafalda of Castile to Theobald of Champagne and Philippa would marry the Earl of Surrey, the marriage of Mafalda would happen on 1216 after Innocent III died which coincided with the majority of Theobald.

The girl not chosen and wanted by Eleanor of Aquitaine to marry Louis VIII, Blanche would marry Alfonso II of Portugal on 1207.

Arthur would inherit Brittany on 1208 when his mother Constance of Brittany would die and his wife would inherit Sicily on 1209 when Constance I of Sicily would die, Constance I of Sicily would be interred next to her husband, Henry VI, the Holy Roman Emperor, on this time, Richard would finally transfer Anjou and Aquitaine to Arthur on 1209 , making Arthur the Duke of Brittany, Count of Anjou and Aquitaine and via his wife, Constance II, Arthur I of Sicily.

Arthur and Constance II of Sicily would sign documents in Sicily and secure the loyalty of the barons in Sicily on the start of their reign, the two would be completely fond of each other.

On 1209 Constance II and Arthur would reconcile with the relatives of Tancred in Sicily who Henry VI, the Holy Roman Emperor, the two would have late William III's remaining sisters named Maria, Constance and Valdrada given compensation for the death of their brother.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon this while researching about Arthur the first. Can somebody please enlighten me on the events after his marriage to Constance II?

Did they have an heir? How did they eventually die? Any paintings of her or them together?

So many questions...

Thank you.

Kaze

Banned
In real history - Prince Arthur died under "mysterious circumstances" in a feud with King John, Arthur "disappeared" in 1203 never to be seen again. Constance died of leprosy / complications of childbirth in 1201.