Army equipment that should have seen service

I doubt a few hundred more "mediums" in Poland is going to save Herr Hitler or buy him much time, when the Russian tanks roll into Bucharest and Budapest and territories surrounding and turn off the oil tap.
It might buy the a couple of weeks which would give the western allies time to take most of central Germany, including Berlin, which would save untold thousands of German women and girls from being gang raped and worse by the Soviets.

McPherson

Banned
It might buy the a couple of weeks which would give the western allies time to take most of central Germany, including Berlin, which would save untold thousands of German women and girls from being gang raped and worse by the Soviets.

Hosea 8;7 aside, will two weeks matter once the Wallies pull back to the Yalta Agreement lines?

17;00 onward. You will not like it, one bit.

Nein, the Nashorn was derrived from the Geschützwagen III/IV. The Panzer III/IV is a completely separate (and much later) project.

It bears the same designation and was a mix of the Panzer III and IV. It negates the points attempted to be made that the chassis was not up to the job.

No one is claiming that.

I was claimed in the post I was replying to.

No it was pretty much at its limit at 25tons. The Fins nicknamed the Panzer IVJ "shaker" because its suspension wasn't doing its job. The Panzer IV/70 was less than a ton heavier than that and it had severe issues that earned it the nickname "duck".

Who cares what the Finns called it. It functioned at higher weights than the claimed limit. The Brummbar was 28 tons. The Nashorn was 24 tons. Jagdpanzer IV was 25 tons.

Bogies. Existing technology, easy to replace, can carry a lot more weight than leaf springs can.

Leaf springs work, are cheap and easily repairable. Don't allow the best of things blind you to what works.

It bears the same designation and was a mix of the Panzer III and IV.
No it doesn't. The idea of mixing the III and IV is the only similarity between the two projects.

It negates the points attempted to be made that the chassis was not up to the job.
No, it really doesn't. At 25 tonnes it's the exact same weight as the Panzer IVJ.

I was claimed in the post I was replying to.
You didn't quote any post though.

The Brummbar was 28 tons.
And its suspension frequently broke down...

The Nashorn was 24 tons.
Which is less than the Panzer IVJ...

Jagdpanzer IV was 25 tons.
Ah yes the Panzer IV/70. As I mentioned, it's called the Duck for a reason.

Leaf springs work, are cheap and easily repairable.
So are bogies. There's a reason why pretty much all rail cars use them.

Don't allow the best of things blind you to what works.
Maybe a valid point if I was advocating for torsion bars. Bogies however, are another economy option.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1487

Who cares what the Finns called it. It functioned at higher weights than the claimed limit. The Brummbar was 28 tons. The Nashorn was 24 tons. Jagdpanzer IV was 25 tons.
IIRC the Brummbar was heavily overloaded even with upgraded parts, but both it and the Nashorn used the Geschutzwagen III/IV, which was a modified bigger chassis than the Panzer III or IV.

The Jagdpanzer IV L70 was also quite the mess
Installing the much heavier Pak 42 meant that the Jagdpanzer IV was nose heavy, especially with the heavy frontal armour. This made them less mobile and more difficult to operate in rough terrain, leading their crews to nickname them Guderian-Ente ("Guderian's duck"). To prevent the rubber rims of the roadwheels being dislocated by the weight of the vehicle, some later versions had steel roadwheels installed on the front.

marathag

Banned
Some Railroad Trucks used leaf springs rsther than coil, as leaf spring have inherent friction that acts as a damper. Coil and torsion bars really need external dampers.
RRs found that Volute Springs, like on the Sherman, acted like coil springsbwith the dampening ability of leaf springs

Last edited:
The British Army should have ordered as many of these as they could get their hands on in the years following the 2nd Anglo Boer War.

1588720009852.png

IIRC the Brummbar was heavily overloaded even with upgraded parts, but both it and the Nashorn used the Geschutzwagen III/IV, which was a modified bigger chassis than the Panzer III or IV.

The Jagdpanzer IV L70 was also quite the mess

I am not referring to the L/70 version but rather the L/48 version. It functioned at higher weights. QED.

No it doesn't. The idea of mixing the III and IV is the only similarity between the two projects

No, it really doesn't. At 25 tonnes it's the exact same weight as the Panzer IVJ.

Still heavier than the stated weight...

And its suspension frequently broke down...

Which is less than the Panzer IVJ...

Ah yes the Panzer IV/70. As I mentioned, it's called the Duck for a reason.

I didn't mention the L/70. You do and quite often. I was referring to the L/48 version.

Who is referring to railway cars? I am not. Leaf Springs are cheap, easily repaired and easily replace. QED.
Maybe a valid point if I was advocating for torsion bars. Bogies however, are another economy option.

The enemy of good enough is always the better version. Germany was facing a total war. Leaf Springs fitted the scenario they faced.

Still heavier than the stated weight...
Of 25 tonnes? Because 25 tonnes is 25 tonnes...

I didn't mention the L/70. You do and quite often. I was referring to the L/48 version.
Which is a lighter vehicle and therefore indicates even less about the Panzer IV's suspension's ability to handle much over 25 tonnes

Who is referring to railway cars?
I'll get to that.

Leaf Springs are cheap, easily repaired and easily replace. QED.
As are bogies.

The enemy of good enough is always the better version.
Except leaf springs aren't good enough for a high performance vehicle approaching 30 tonnes.

Germany was facing a total war. Leaf Springs fitted the scenario they faced.
Nien. Specialized factories which were never fully staffed making vehicles in the 20 tonne range with industrial processes scaled up from the tractor industry is not the way to fight a total war. Train factories using their existing tooling and manufacturing procedures to cheaply and quickly produce cast hull tanks with strong, easily repaired and replaced, bogie suspensions is the way to wage total war.

Unsurprisingly the industry best suited to build tanks was the only one that built vehicles of the same weight class on a regular basis.

McPherson

Banned
Nien. Specialized factories which were never fully staffed making vehicles in the 20 tonne range with industrial processes scaled up from the tractor industry is not the way to fight a total war. Train factories using their existing tooling and manufacturing procedures to cheaply and quickly produce cast hull tanks with strong, easily repaired and replaced, bogie suspensions is the way to wage total war.

Apparently stage coach makers can make tanks.

Unsurprisingly the industry best suited to build tanks was the only one that built vehicles of the same weight class on a regular basis.

Summary; Chrysler, to my knowledge, was not known for its locomotives.

Which is a lighter vehicle and therefore indicates even less about the Panzer IV's suspension's ability to handle much over 25 tonnes

The weight is unevenly distributed. The glacis and gun are disproportionally at the front of the vehicle in the L/70. Initially they had to replace the front bogies with all steel wheels to prevent wear. Later, stronger springs helped. The L/48 version doesn't have as heavier a gun but still has as heavier glacis. The weight difference is relatively minor (IIRC about two tons). It is still heavier than the indicated 20 tons. QED.

McPherson

Banned
The weight is unevenly distributed. The glacis and gun are disproportionally at the front of the vehicle in the L/70. Initially they had to replace the front bogies with all steel wheels to prevent wear. Later, stronger springs helped. The L/48 version doesn't have as heavier a gun but still has as heavier glacis. The weight difference is relatively minor (IIRC about two tons). It is still heavier than the indicated 20 tons. QED.

You just described a bow plow.

Apparently stage coach makers can make tanks.

Summary; Chrysler, to my knowledge, was not known for its locomotives.
Yeah but Germany didn't have American magic.

edit: also, it's worth noting that both those factories still employed the aforementioned train manufacturing techniques rather than the automobile ones of their parent companies.

Last edited:
Who indicated 20 tonnes?