Army equipment that should have seen service

Thanks for the info. I never read the Brewster Corsair's were so defective. Doesn't say much for Brewster's quality control. I guess that's why they didn't have much of a post war future. Your right about Curtiss-Wright, you could only go so far with the P-40 design. The P-60 would have been fine if you didn't have P-38's, P-47's, and P-51's as alternatives.

Brewster as a whole was just plain terrible. It's one of the rare cases where hanging the entirety of a company's corporate leadership and union leadership would have greatly improved a company.

@wiking When did armies/gun designers figure out that high velocity ~.22 caliber bullets were optimal within 500 yards or so? If my calculations are right, 5.7mm can be point-blank out of a carbine length barrel out to 300 yards with the high velocity loadings, while still being not too powerful for simple blowback.

..... Yes, this is basically P90s in WWI

Deleted member 1487

@wiking When did armies/gun designers figure out that high velocity ~.22 caliber bullets were optimal within 500 yards or so? If my calculations are right, 5.7mm can be point-blank out of a carbine length barrel out to 300 yards with the high velocity loadings, while still being not too powerful for simple blowback.

..... Yes, this is basically P90s in WWI
What sort of 5.7mm could be point black at 300 yards and still use a simple blowback system???

.20 cal was floated in 1930 in an Aberdeen Proving Ground report by a guy named Kent.

Gun designers figured out the small caliber, high velocity thing (for the time) at least as early as the 1890s:

McPherson

Banned
Gun caliber in 6.5mm requires CHROME steel barrels in 1890. Unless one rushes metallurgy a couple of decades, that will be a "slight" corrosion problem because the smokeless powders in use in that era at those pressures and temperatures for 800 m/s muzzle velocities will ruin a rifle in as few as 3,000 shots.

The problem will be solved around 1910. Til then Arisakas, Navy Lees, and Carcanos will be short service life or need constant rebuilds.

What sort of 5.7mm could be point black at 300 yards and still use a simple blowback system???

.20 cal was floated in 1930 in an Aberdeen Proving Ground report by a guy named Kent.

Gun designers figured out the small caliber, high velocity thing (for the time) at least as early as the 1890s:
I think the AR 57 uses simple blowback; apparently there's a 5.7mm 28 grain load that hits 2550 fps from a 16" barrel. Plugging into a ballistic calculator keeps bullet rise under 7" at 200 yards with a 300 yard zero (if i didn't fuck up the drag and ballistic coefficient). Terminal ballistics would probably not be very impressive, but lots of ammo, light recoil, and suppressive fire would go a long way if it actually worked.

A straight-line stock (ala. AR-10 and FG 42) is manitory if you want to fire bursts from the shoulder. Then you need a reallllly good buffer (ala. FG 42). I also like the muzzle brake on the FG 42, but wish the barrel was a bit longer to burn more gun powder and reduce muzzle flash. Go with the forward bipod (FG 42 Mark 2) for serious shooting at any distance. We can all agree that the FG 42 was flimsy and only a Mark 3 or Mark 4 would be strong enough to be soldier proof.
In comparison the FN C2A1 is hopelessly inaccurate when fired full-auto from the shoulder. At 10 metres, the first round hits the target’s right hip, the second round hits his left shoulder and the third round goes “god knows where?”

Deleted member 1487

I think the AR 57 uses simple blowback; apparently there's a 5.7mm 28 grain load that hits 2550 fps from a 16" barrel. Plugging into a ballistic calculator keeps bullet rise under 7" at 200 yards with a 300 yard zero (if i didn't fuck up the drag and ballistic coefficient). Terminal ballistics would probably not be very impressive, but lots of ammo, light recoil, and suppressive fire would go a long way if it actually worked.
Not sure that is a 300 yard point blank.

Wasn't just the C-46 with that problem, the B-24 also had legendary leak issues. Knew a Pilot of one, he said one plane that used never got the leak problems fixed, so every mission would have the bomb bay doors raised just a bit, so fuel vapor wouldn't concentrate. Some times it would be bad enough that it woukd have liquid dropping out.
Said him, his Engineer and his Navigator got real good at fuel burn calculations

Your 100% correct, fuel leaks are a major problem in more aircraft then not, many are legendary leakers. By their nature aircraft fly around carrying the means for their own destruction. Does anyone think it's safe to ride a rocket into space? As my favorite engineer once observed "The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." The more complex the machine the more can go wrong. Most of design, and engineering history is trial and error, it's the best imperfect humans can do.

Swiss merkava ?
Better than a Leo 2 but expensive
Maybe the best tank for the wealthy
Sweden , Canada , Austria , the Emirates unbenannt_01.jpg

Deleted member 1487

I think the AK 74 had a similar level of bullet rise with the 400 yard zero; as long as you're aiming center of mass, 7" up is small enough rise to just point and shoot.
Seeing the videos about range and controllability in full auto, perhaps something like the .22 Tokarev might have made the best SMG of 1930s-50s

San cristobal carbine
Looks like a beretta smg
Use the .345 winchester
Its a kiraly lever delayed design
Its strong , fires a powerful round for a smg
A proto AR for ww2 1san-027413.jpgJSt2Cj2.jpg

Swiss merkava ?
Better than a Leo 2 but expensive
Maybe the best tank for the wealthy
Sweden , Canada , Austria , the Emirates View attachment 535923

It occurred to me that the other most likely country to purchase a Merkava would be Singapore. Similarly to Israel it's a very very wealthy country with conscription and extremely limited manpower reserves. Pretty much any Singaporean tank use is going to be defensive and in a urban enviroment meaning the Merkava's lower speed is less of a disadvantage and it's heavier armor is a better trade off.

Maybe SK as well. Or perhaps ROC if Israel had worse relations with China.

Similarly perhaps Finland.

Pretty much any Singaporean tank use is going to be defensive and in a urban enviroment meaning the Merkava's lower speed is less of a disadvantage and it's heavier armor is a better trade off.
Isn't Singapore unofficial policy to fight in somebody else country by advancing off the island faster than they can do anything about it? Its also a question of if the likley opponents have that much high end AT fire-power?