Arguing in Bad Faith and Trolling

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Lucarionape, May 9, 2019.

1. Lucarionape Well-Known Member

Is there a connection between the two in the eyes of the site rules ? I say this because when I sometimes read the debates they end up having some people who seem to deliberately ignore or misinterpret other’s arguments.

2. finch Active Member

I have never read the rules, so I can't answer your question. Putting aside genuine misunderstandings, unfortunately, you will always find some people behaving in a way that is rude or unpleasant in some way, on forums. But not actually breaking any rules. It would then be down admin to reprimand them. You can always report someone that you find offensive. There is a button for that at the bottom of the page Personally, I just ignore them.

Lucarionape likes this.
  3. Cockroach Lagrangian Particle Tracking... Now in the Arctic.

Not explicitly IIRC (unlike on Lawyer RP SV).

AH.com has not so much explicit rules as a collection of guidelines which the the mods act on... It's deliberately set up that way to avoid blatant rules lawyering and so the handling of edges cases are more clearly at mod/admin's discretion .

The Professor, Ferd42 and Lucarionape like this.
  4. The Professor Pontifex Collegii Vexillographiariorum

Indeed. The rules we have are designed to facilitate civil discussion so if your posts are an impediment to that then you'll likely get actioned.
    Having been in my fair share of arguments where opposing posters seem to argue in bad faith I can't really call all of it trolling per se. Trolling is less targeted, with a more intentioned general reaction, whereas bad faith arguing tends to go for either specific posters or parts of the argument. They can blend into each other though.

Lucarionape likes this.
  5. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

The Mods look at issues that are reported, including arguing in bad faith, but there is also an expectation that a degree of self policing will take place. It doesn't always work, which is why there is a Mod Team and not just Ian trying to cover it all on his own, but it works surprisingly well.

As several posters have mentioned the Board is fairly thing on absolutes in the rules, The Eight Ways to Crash Land (i.e. "InstaBan offenses") being an exception. Mods have considerable discretion regarding actions with the "less is more" approach being most favored.

Lucarionape likes this.