Are the Draka books worth reading?

After spending more than a decade on this site, I've inevitably heard a lot about SM Stirling's evil slavocrat empire of edgy pseudo-Nietzschean Nazi-Confederate-Afrikaners that everyone loves to hate. What I want to know is if the series of novels they come from are well-writen/entertaining/thought-provoking enough to be worth seeking out for myself?

I think so. As long as you take it in the spirit that Stirling was supposed to have written it in. He said that he wrote it in reaction to the euphoria at the end of the cold war when th USSR fell apart. Its also helpful if you read the timeline before the first novel.

Well, to be honest, the opinion about any book is usually subjective, but for me, those books are worth reading. I read them a few months ago, and it was pretty interesting for me to read. But, for example, one friend of mine didn't like them at all.
And yes, as gladiator8085 wrote, reading the time line is a good idea

After spending more than a decade on this site, I've inevitably heard a lot about SM Stirling's evil slavocrat empire of edgy pseudo-Nietzschean Nazi-Confederate-Afrikaners that everyone loves to hate. What I want to know is if the series of novels they come from are well-writen/entertaining/thought-provoking enough to be worth seeking out for myself?
I would recommend it, if only because it is a superb troll work - I write more about it here

Short version: No.

Long version: Only reason to read the series is to snark about it. It's not very well-written, the timeline is some of the worst AH ever put to paper, and the author is a narcissistic egomaniac who's OK with genocide.

MaxGerke01

Kicked
Banned
The premise of the books is interesting enough but look around this board and you see it could be done better with the current Rise and Fall of the Draka https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-draka.520380/ being a notable example.Reading the books is worth it if you want to have the backstory down to be able to fully appreciate where those fanfics go which as stated is often an improvement on the original material.

Vince

Monthly Donor
The premise of the books is interesting enough but look around this board and you see it could be done better with the current Rise and Fall of the Draka https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-draka.520380/ being a notable example.Reading the books is worth it if you want to have the backstory down to be able to fully appreciate where those fanfics go which as stated is often an improvement on the original material.

Yeah there are several good Draka TLs on here and other sites that try to be a bit more based in reality than whatever Stirling wrote. Hell, there's even a Mass Effect/Draka fic that's very good.