Apartheid Superpower 6.0

And also, it's doubtful that all the Khoisan would be killed or enslaved, but they weren't considered a "middle class" at all. Their conflict with the Dutch was kind of a lopsided version of cowboys and Indians, except that the Khoi almost never won. The Dutch didn't consider them human. That said, it isn't likely that all of South Africa's Khoisan would die en masse, but you probably would see a situation very similar to OTL, with only the Cape Khoi being exterminated and the rest driven into mountain ranges or deserts.

I must explain a bit more. I remember reading that some of the survivors bred with the White settlers in South Africa and their descendants were allowed to hold office(Though I'm probably mixing things up). Not the Khoi themselves.

Ceranthor

Banned
Yeah those are the Coloured/Griquas, who made a few independent states OTL. I don't think that they ever held office in an Afrikaner community, but they were better off than the blacks or the Bushmen

Yeah those are the Coloured/Griquas, who made a few independent states OTL. I don't think that they ever held office in an Afrikaner community, but they were better off than the blacks or the Bushmen

Ah yes, the Griqua. Strange, I was under the false impression they were just Blacks and Whites instead of Khokhoi and Whites.

Reminds me of the Domination series.

The world of The Domination diverges from our world at the time of the American Revolutionary War, when the Netherlands declares war on the UK, resulting in the loss of its Cape Colony to the British. After defeat in Revolutionary War, the Loyalists who historically went to Canada are instead resettled in the new Crown Colony of Drakia (named after Sir Francis Drake) in South Africa, taking their slaves with them. Thousands of Hessian German mercenaries who fought on the Loyalist side are also given asylum there. The Crown Colony of Drakia (later, the Dominion of Draka) is an aggressive militaristic slave-owning society, massively influenced by the inherent racist attitudes of these American slave owner settlers that are allowed to run unchecked, reinforced over the course of the late 18th and 19th century by 25,000 Icelanders fleeing their island after 1783-84 Volcanic devastation. French royalists, 150,000 defeated American Confederates and other reactionary refugees. The much earlier Dutch Boer settlers are completely assimilated by these subsequent immigrants. The genealogical lineage of both the original Boer and Southern Loyalist settlers from the late 17th century and 1780s, respectively, is almost overwhelmingly Anglo-Saxon, Nordic, Germanic and Celtic although later immigrants are French Protestant Huguenots fleeing persecution from Roman Catholics, and then the aforementioned French aristocrats seeking sanctuary from the French Revolution. Although most Draka remain at least nominally Christian for several generations, by the 1960s, the practice of Christianity among them has declined to the point the few remaining Christian Citizens are subject to scrutiny by the Security Directorate and unofficially prevented from attaining officer ranks in the military. The Draka capital city is Archona, on the site of our own world's Pretoria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Domination

Reminds me of the Domination series.

The world of The Domination diverges from our world at the time of the American Revolutionary War, when the Netherlands declares war on the UK, resulting in the loss of its Cape Colony to the British. After defeat in Revolutionary War, the Loyalists who historically went to Canada are instead resettled in the new Crown Colony of Drakia (named after Sir Francis Drake) in South Africa, taking their slaves with them. Thousands of Hessian German mercenaries who fought on the Loyalist side are also given asylum there. The Crown Colony of Drakia (later, the Dominion of Draka) is an aggressive militaristic slave-owning society, massively influenced by the inherent racist attitudes of these American slave owner settlers that are allowed to run unchecked, reinforced over the course of the late 18th and 19th century by 25,000 Icelanders fleeing their island after 1783-84 Volcanic devastation. French royalists, 150,000 defeated American Confederates and other reactionary refugees. The much earlier Dutch Boer settlers are completely assimilated by these subsequent immigrants. The genealogical lineage of both the original Boer and Southern Loyalist settlers from the late 17th century and 1780s, respectively, is almost overwhelmingly Anglo-Saxon, Nordic, Germanic and Celtic although later immigrants are French Protestant Huguenots fleeing persecution from Roman Catholics, and then the aforementioned French aristocrats seeking sanctuary from the French Revolution. Although most Draka remain at least nominally Christian for several generations, by the 1960s, the practice of Christianity among them has declined to the point the few remaining Christian Citizens are subject to scrutiny by the Security Directorate and unofficially prevented from attaining officer ranks in the military. The Draka capital city is Archona, on the site of our own world's Pretoria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Domination

This is Merry we're talking about. I do believe that Merry knows that the Draka are.

The VOC in TTL doesn't exist. The Cape was settled due to TTL's "Great Man," who led the exodus from the Netherlands and established an independent colony at the Cape. OTL the VOC prevented expansion into the hinterland, but that's not an issue in TTL.

Also, in the 1600s, I was under the impression the Bantu had not migrated south in especially large numbers. Hence the relatively small early battles before the Gotterdamurung(s) with the Rowzi Empire.

Perhaps the initial waves of the Bantu collide with the Afrikaners and we get an alternate Mfecane stretching all the way up into wherever it was the Bantu originally came from.

(Of course, there's still the matter of the Rowzi Empire, which for some reason I'm thinking is pre-Bantu.)

About the tsetse fly and other issues, it's been awhile since I actually read through the early parts of the TL, but I thought I'd depicted white settlement advancing primarily up East Africa, with other parts being disease-ridden backwaters.

(I have some cultural friction in one of the stories between an Afrikaner from Mozambique-ish and one from the Congo--the former views the latter as white trash and the latter resents the other for being rich.)

Last edited:
Historian,

This whole scenario started in 2006 with a scenario reddie wrote entitled "A Realistic Quasi-Draka: A Cold War with the Apartheid Juggernaut" or something to that effect.

My goal was to get a white-ruled African uber-empire that wasn't as unrealistic as the Draka. Note how the Afrikaners don't win every battle, they get attacked themselves (the Omanis), and in one case get slapped down by the British Empire (Taiwan) and by the Americans (the Zhem River Crisis).

Of course, an Afrikaner India is a bit wanky, but I toned that down by having a codominium with Britain for most of the 19th Century and they incorporated lighter-skinned Christian Indians into their gene pool and power elite, unlike the British.

Also, in the 1600s, I was under the impression the Bantu had not migrated south in especially large numbers. Hence the relatively small early battles before the Gotterdamurung(s) with the Rowzi Empire.

The Bantu made it to the south in the 1000s.

Perhaps the initial waves of the Bantu collide with the Afrikaners and we get an alternate Mfecane stretching all the way up into wherever it was the Bantu originally came from.

That seems like a bit of convenient butterfly that also doesn't make much sense in the context that they are herders. They wouldn't randomly do a Mfecane like that at that time.

(Of course, there's still the matter of the Rowzi Empire, which for some reason I'm thinking is pre-Bantu.)

About the tsetse fly and other issues, it's been awhile since I actually read through the early parts of the TL, but I thought I'd depicted white settlement advancing primarily up East Africa, with other parts being disease-ridden backwaters.

The Lowveld after you drop down from the South African plateau is all disease ridden. The Boers are mainly free range farmers and herders so they would die off horribly as soon as they went down to the plains of Mozambique.

Hm. It seems unlikely that the Hungarians would get - or want, for that matter - the area of the modern Czech Republic. No Hungarians, no tradition of ruling the area (as opposed to what Germany has)...

Hm. It seems unlikely that the Hungarians would get - or want, for that matter - the area of the modern Czech Republic. No Hungarians, no tradition of ruling the area (as opposed to what Germany has)...

Hmm...maybe it was Slovakia that was part of the "Crownlands of St. Stephen" and the Czechs who were historically ruled by the Germans.

Thanks.

Hmm...maybe it was Slovakia that was part of the "Crownlands of St. Stephen" and the Czechs who were historically ruled by the Germans.

Thanks.

No, he's totally wrong. Bohemia and Silesia were joined as a single kingdom in the late middle ages. This kingdom entered personal union with Hungary, where the provinces remained until the Turkish conquest put them, along with the rest of Hungary's fringe, into the Austrian sphere.

First, Merry, love the timeline. Just one thing really jarred me:

First Microwave Power System Activated (1990 AD)-The first microwave-power system, in which solar energy collected on the Moon is transmitted to the Earth’s surface to power cities, goes online in the United States. The new system powers Louisville KY, enabling the US to shut down several ground-based power-plants (some remain, however, as backups).

Looking at the painful engineering involved, the short version is that there is no way this can happen at the time specified. Numerous, very big technical problems (ultratight beam width, enormous power flooding the EM spectrum, etc.) that just makes microwave power transfer a pipe dream for decades from now. Even with the better space technology, the distance from photovoltaics to space-based solar (even at geosynchronus orbit)is a leap that is as great, if not greater, than the leap from fission power to fusion power.

That's the only thing in the timeline that really jarred me, but its not too major a point. Might want to remove it on version 7.0.

Nice Timeline but I desperately need maps to visualize WTF the world looks like.

I've got a pre-WWIII map on DeviantArt.

http://ridley100.deviantart.com/#/d2coghd

A friend of mine critiqued "Coil Gun" (a story in the Afrikanerverse I just sold to an anthology) and I printed it on a coffee mug for him. There's a Facebook photo of him at the breakfast table drinking from that mug. :)

AfrikanerWorld2001.PNG

Note that I avoided "the inevitable Kazakh border" although the Turkestani border is not one of the best ones on this map.

(I figured it reflected the stop-lines of the Afrikaner march into the Soviet Union, so its borders wouldn't be nice and even.)

The colored states are those whose borders are different than OTL's.

So Hungary won the 2 WW against Russia and Romania and still lost Transylvania? WTF?

Hmm...that's a good point. I might need to revise either the TL or the map.

If the Hungarians keep Transylvania, the Afrikaners could back Romanian irredentists. And if they expel the Romanians en masse, that's more white people for the Confederation if they want to go a bit further afield.