Anybody Remember “Captain Confederacy” By Will Shetterly and Vince Stone?

Deleted member 103950

So I was browsing for some alternate history fiction unrelated to the confederacy when I stumbled upon this. And the second I saw it I knew I was going to have to share and talk about it.

The book is about superheroes in a world where the confederacy won the American Civil War and as such the entire world is completely different in the modern day of the books writing (1985). The United States is not only divided between the union and the Confederacy but also several different states and countries have occupied what is America in OTL.

image0.png

Captain Confederacy ran for 12 issues in 1986-87 for Steel Dragon Press; it was later picked up by Marvel’s Epic Comics for four issues starting in November 1991. The protagonist wasn’t some vague embodiment of “Southern pride”—he starts out as a propaganda tool used by the Confederate States of America to maintain the status quo. And that status quo, in this alternate reality, isn’t pretty; the black citizens of the CSA are distinctly second-class, and the powers that be want them to stay that way.

Captain Confederacy addressed the South’s old ghosts by following history to an alternate, perhaps-logical conclusion—or tried to. As the series progressed, the South did change, later enlisting a black woman as a protegée Captain. Whether the comic was successful or merely provocative is up to readers to decide, and creator Will Shetterly invites you to do just that.

The source where I found this has a link to where the original creator posted the complete series regrettably it seems that wherever he hosted it the site has been terminated.

image0.jpg

image0.png

The art from the original 12 issue mini series isn’t very good. Although the epic imprint four issue series seems to have improved it’s art a lot better.

image0.png

I haven’t read it yet but from this little snippet it does appear that the book is by no means a celebration of Southern pride or any of that it out right condemns the existence of slavery and the existence of the confederacy in no uncertain terms. It has characters drop the N-bomb left and right. It’s all appropriate given how backwards and racist the setting is but it’s still rather shocking for a modern reader.

Has anyone else heard of this?
image0.jpg

Attachments

• 3B6B6652-3666-4BE9-B730-C0A07CF91186.jpeg
    3B6B6652-3666-4BE9-B730-C0A07CF91186.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 173
Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 103950

Yep. Should still be on there, as long as Amazon hasn't taken it down.
you better check your Kindle to make sure it’s still there. I I just checked my Amazon account they are still selling physical copies of the book in trade paper backs but they aren’t selling it digitally.

I read the first 12 issue series on readcomicsonline.com year before last. It was decent in my opinion. I thought the world building was interesting, mentioning how the world is divided into a multi polar cold war. It even had the national hero of the Japanese empire

I read and really enjoyed this series, as mentioned despite what the title would lead you to assume it's a far more thoughtful examination of the South and the inevitable pressures on a surviving CSA than a comic book bastion of Lost Cause narrative. QuantumBranching made a map-based expansion of the setting of the series I found interesting.

d5xa8n3-a5a02be8-cb0d-4f99-976f-dcf177461cb8.png

Deleted member 103950

I read and really enjoyed this series, as mentioned despite what the title would lead you to assume it's a far more thoughtful examination of the South and the inevitable pressures on a surviving CSA than a comic book bastion of Lost Cause narrative. QuantumBranching made a map-based expansion of the setting of the series I found interesting.

d5xa8n3-a5a02be8-cb0d-4f99-976f-dcf177461cb8.png

This is incredibly fleshed out and a much more interesting political situation than you usually see in Alternate Civil War Fiction

dcd

Banned
Glad someone brought this up.
I especially liked that it didn't bash the CSA OR endorse it,instead portraying things as they are and letting us draw our own conclusions.

I found the books on Amazon:

Also looks like some of it is indeed in the Wayback Engine, from the authors' blog: https://web.archive.org/web/2012080...08/03/captain-confederacy-nature-of-hero.html

I wish we could get more really well thought out alternate history superhero stuff like Red Son, Watchmen, Pax Americana, LOEG, etc. This seems right up my alley.

Ficboy

Banned
It's rather unrealistic with how it deals with the constant divisions and partitions of the North and the South.

Anyway, suppose if Marvel Comics published an alternate universe story known as Hearts of Dixie which focused on a universe similar to Earth-616 and revolved around this titular group of superheroes comprised of Marian Carlyle/Lady Dixie (Rogue), Remy LeBeau/General Gray (Gambit), Samuel Zachary Guthrie/Cannonball, Frederick Johnson Dukes/Goliath (The Blob), Monica Rambeau/Photon, John Proudstar/Thunderbird and Matthew Taliaferro Hunter/Crusader. They would work with the Avengers and the X-Men to stop a group of terrorists known as the Purifiers led by William Stryker.

Deleted member 103950

I found the books on Amazon:

Also looks like some of it is indeed in the Wayback Engine, from the authors' blog: https://web.archive.org/web/2012080...08/03/captain-confederacy-nature-of-hero.html

Digital version doesn't appear to be available on the American Kindle store.