Another America: A Map and Graphic Setting

Deleted member 107125

In theory this should be a wikibox of the national symbols of the countries of North America, if the resolution weren't unreadably bad for some reason? Ah well, enjoy squinting at this! Many of the coats of arms are placeholders and not the canon versions, not that I can make any of the details out anyway.
another_america__national_symbols_by_keperry012_dddg7do-fullview.jpg
Did you make this using any software or just used a sandbox? Asking because I want to know whether the flags are in Wikimedia Commons

Did you make this using any software or just used a sandbox? Asking because I want to know whether the flags are in Wikimedia Commons

The flags for California, Canada, Louisiana, New England, and Newfoundland are in Wikimedia Commons, the rest I pasted in with Paint.NET.

Is the technology level the same as OTL?

Yes.

What's pop culture like?

Can you be more specific? That's a very broad question. I've touched on various aspects of pop culture numerous times in the thread already.

I’ve a question what is the blank map template that was/is used ?

QBAM, though the version I'm using is kind of outdated at this point.

Independent Maori country? Oh my that is cool.

Also, is that native Australian script on New Holland and Marege?

What's up with that Vemerana theocracy?

I think a neat addition could be religious demographic information, but this is pretty good already!

Independent Maori country? Oh my that is cool.

Also, is that native Australian script on New Holland and Marege?

What's up with that Vemerana theocracy?

I think a neat addition could be religious demographic information, but this is pretty good already!

The script is Lontara, from Sulawesi; Marege and Kayujawa are highly influenced by historical trade with Makassar, including adopting their script. The Maregenese and Kayunese languages are creoles of Makassarese (with Malay in the case of Kayunese) and the local indigenous languages. When native languages like the Yolngu we see in the infobox began to be written down they also used the Lontara script. Currently in Marege both Latin and Lontara scripts have official status and are used rather inconsistently, with use of one or the other being something of a political football between modernizers and traditionalists. Lontara also has political connotations on the New Holland side of the border with use of it associated with support for the Kayujawa separatist movement; it was even banned by the New Holland government at the height of the conflict before being rehabilitated with the peace deal that ended it.

Vemerana is based on the OTL Nagriamel movement combined with elements of the Turaga Nation; the head of state is also the head of the John Frum cargo cult, which tells its followers that if they return to the traditional Melanesian way of life ("kastom") then eventually John Frum will return and bless them with Western material goods ("cargo"). As a result in Vemerana kastom is strictly enforced by law and modern/Western ways of life and technology are banned for natives; the Roman alphabet is being phased out in favor of the supposedly native Avoiuli script and the value of the national currency is pegged to the value of boars' tusks, with most interaction with the global monetary system forbidden (with the ruling elite exempt, so as to better shepherd their people, of course). As a result, Vemerana has no taxes on foreign companies and very little enforcement of international law, which some allege is the reason the separatist movement that created it was bankrolled by shady foreign organizations and so the entire reason the country exists -- as a tax haven and refuge for all manner of shady activities.

Religiously all of the countries are overwhelmingly majority Christian, Catholic in Napolia and New Caledonia and Protestant in the rest, with the exception of Marege which is majority Muslim (Kayujawa in New Holland and North Maluku in the East Indies are also majority/plurality Muslim regions) and Vemerana which has its own weird thing going on.

If i recall correctly germany was not unified but organised into an eu-like confederation? What member nation "owns" the colonies?

This is actually somewhat of a retcon since I'm gearing up to re-do Europe; watch this space. (And if I don't go through with the retcon - Prussia)

Vemerana is based on the OTL Nagriamel movement combined with elements of the Turaga Nation; the head of state is also the head of the John Frum cargo cult, which tells its followers that if they return to the traditional Melanesian way of life ("kastom") then eventually John Frum will return and bless them with Western material goods ("cargo"). As a result in Vemerana kastom is strictly enforced by law and modern/Western ways of life and technology are banned for natives; the Roman alphabet is being phased out in favor of the supposedly native Avoiuli script and the value of the national currency is pegged to the value of boars' tusks, with most interaction with the global monetary system forbidden (with the ruling elite exempt, so as to better shepherd their people, of course). As a result, Vemerana has no taxes on foreign companies and very little enforcement of international law, which some allege is the reason the separatist movement that created it was bankrolled by shady foreign organizations and so the entire reason the country exists -- as a tax haven and refuge for all manner of shady activities.

Oh my, cargo cult theocracy? That's original. I've heard about those as a metaphor for people mindlessly applying methods, but taking it to power in a recognized nation is something else. Having it backed by shady organizations who can occasionally drop "cargo" to confirm its precepts makes sense.

Since I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably never do a whole big writeup for the Australia map I'll add:

The New Hebrides is unique among British Commonwealth realms in that the head of state, rather than being the British monarch herself, is the British monarch's royal consort. The New Hebridean government officially denies that this was done to appeal to the movement on Tanna island that reveres the current prince-consort as a divine being to give the New Hebridean government cargo cult cachet of its own to compete with the appeal of Vemerana (while also doing everything it can to play up this association).

The prince-consort seems only vaguely aware at most that he is the head of state of an entire sovereign nation, if only a very small one on the other side of the world.

Last edited: