Ann Aenglikonagur þeddr

• Thread starter Deleted member 105545
  • Start date
While English vowel changes are hard to figure out, it appears that "ea" did become "a" in certain circumstances. See weax becoming wax, heard becoming hard. This is especially common after a "w." I suppose it's possible that this could reflect Norse influence, but there's no reason to think that, since the modern Scandinavian words for Wales are simply loanwords from modern English AFAIK. Maybe an actual linguist or expert on Old English could give better insight.
The Professor is, in my opinion, the site's authority on Old English, I'm sure he will end up popping up here soon to chime in.

The Professor is, in my opinion, the site's authority on Old English, I'm sure he will end up popping up here soon to chime in.
You called? :p

@Hominid
You're referring to a couple of processes called breaking and a-restoration/retraction.
Breaking in the context of the Old English dialects is where stressed front vowels in a velar environment change to two by adding a schwa or similar: i, e, æ to short and long diphthongs spelled io, eo, ea when followed by h or by r, l + another consonant (short vowels only), and sometimes w.
In the northern Anglian dialects, e.g. Northumbrian, Mercian, ea (= æa) was often retracted to a. It's sometimes called a-restoration as the original æ came from earlier a.
Most of our spelling and pronunciation is based on Mercian.

Just something I found out browsing the wiktionary: even if they had been doing their very best to make sure they understood each other, both Norse and Anglo-Saxons would've had to rely heavily on context to tell if the other was talking about a rudder, a oarsman, something red or some kind of cattle, so a quite a few places ITTL's England could end up named after the wrong thing or be assumed such.

Deleted member 105545

"No, this thread is not dead?"
Yup! That is "Wesesassen." I've retconned a few things, including Wesesasse (Wessex) being owned by the Capet Dynasty for a while, before De Anjou usurped the throne of France. French influence really changed the language of Wessex.

Deleted member 105545

salqid.png

Khalifate min al-Salqid

The Kingdom of Sicily, or Khalifate min al-Salqid, was first founded with the al-Fatami invasions of what was then the Basileia Rhomaion Anatolika.

It changed when 'Abd-ar-Rahman "al-Abqari" al-Salqid was born to a minor family in Ma'adidawadiea, a small town on the eastern shores of Sqly (Sicily.) Immediately, he showed great intellect, something never before-seen on this earth. Some historians claim he was the most intelligent man to ever live, but this is disputed. Regardless, at 6 years old, he wrote the Hulm Alnabiu, something still studied and researched to this day, though, unfortunately, no whole copies remain.

At 13, Khalif Abu 'Ali al-Mansur al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah granted him the cities of Ma'adidawadiea and Fereej al-Khulaana.

At 16, the previous ruler of the al-Dawla Sqly, Abdul Ghani al-Ebrahim Aabid al-Baksh, died with no heirs. Seeing himself as the rightful ruler of Sqly, he peacefully usurped the throne, using his charisma and massive amounts of wealth to quell the rebellion.

He founded a radical section of Islam, called Baasidiyyah, which told that Muhammed was resurrected by the, according to 'Abd-ar-Rahman, popular folk hero Baasid al-Miqdaam al-El-Sayed. He said that his parents were directly descended from him, making him have Muhammed's blood within him, making his claim for the Khalifate stronger than all others. He published this "finding" in Haqiqat al-Nabii .

Using his massive wealth, he published hundreds, maybe even thousands of copies of this book, and spread them all throughout Sqly. The general populace was swayed by silver-tongued messengers, rallying to 'Abd-ar-Rahman's cause. Soon, he proclaimed himself Khalif.

When word got to Khalif Abu 'Ali al-Mansur al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah, he scoffed at it, thinking it was nonsense, and that no-one surely believed that. People did, in fact.

Preparing for the oncoming invasion by the Fatimids, now Khalif 'Abd-ar-Rahman al-Khalifat al-Haqiqiu, he hired many mercenaries, and set them off to Cairo.
In Cairo, feigning peace, they stormed the Khalif's palace, and captured his sons. According to some reports, 90% of the mercenaries were killed, but, miraculously, for Khalif 'Abd-ar-Rahman, the Fatimid Khalif's sons were captured. The Khalif, knowing his bloodline was at risk, signed a peace treaty with Khalif 'Abd-ar-Rahman in a fit of depression and shock.

Khalif 'Abd-ar-Rahman was now free to rule over Sqly, and, by the time he was 42, he had converted most of Sqly Proper to Baasidiyyahism. He conquests included the then Basileia Rhomaion Anatolikan holdings in southern Italy, and managed to placate the Pope, Pope Justinian IV, with gifts. By the time Khalif 'Abd-ar-Rahman al-Khalifat al-Haqiqiu died, his first born son and heir was already 53 years old. It is not known the exact date Khalif 'Abd-ar-Rahman died.

Deleted member 105545

byzantium.png

When Emperor Justinian VIII Makedon dies from a heart attack suddenly, leaving no male heir, the realm is torn asunder by claimants to the throne.
THE 6 CONTENDERS FOR THE ROMAN THRONE
:

1. The Emperor in Pulgaraestya: Saarnpliuŭr Justinian I. Bastard son of Justinian VIII Makedon's brother, he legitimized himself, calling this new dynasty "Saarnpliuŭr"

2. The Emperor in Nikaea: Georgios Lucaenus. Son of Ionna III Makedon, daughter of Justinian VIII Makedon.

3. The Empress in Constantinople: Dominica IV Makedon, eldest daughter of Justinian VIII Makedon.

4. The Empress in Athens: Theodosia V Makedon, only surviving sister of Justinian VIII Makedon.

5. The Emperor in Epirus: Alexander II Kurkuas, the son of Alexander I Kurkuas, who Justinian VIII Makedon disposed of his seat on the throne.

6. The Emperor in Trebizond: Maximinus Makedon, 2nd cousin to Justinian VIII Makedon, the one who has the most valid claim by traditional Byzantine Standards.

Deleted member 105545

e.png

Guþr Halfdanssun Hvitserk, Konugr of Vestreyjar. His personal arms are seen above.

Guþr was born to Halfdan III Ivarssun, in 1432 A.D.
At a young age, he met Ragansdodder, daughter of Ragan Norvikke, Jarl of Norþumbr. Guþr and Ragansdodder were instantly close friends.
In 1450, at 18 years old, he ascended the throne of Vestreyjar, and took his close friend Ragansdodder to wife.
In 1453, his cousin and Jarl of Ossaegr, rebelled against Guþr for his claim to the throne. It was during this rebellion that Guþr showed how truly poor he was at war.
At first, Guþr tried to march directly to the capital of Ossaegr, Ossaegrtton. This failed, however, and his forces were caught and ambushed, causing them to retreat.
Desperate after a crushing victory, he allowed his wife, Ragansdodder, to take over the military for the period of the war, after her persistence.
This proved a controversial yet good decision, as Ragansdodder proved to be a military genius, despite her weak physique. His vassal lords objected, but Guþr persisted and allowed Ragansdodder to remain Cheif Martial.
Ragansdodder amassed what remained of her army, and marched to defend Jorwak from Ivar Hvitserk.
At the reports of a "Frail Woman" leading the Vestreyjar army, Ivar sent a letter reading:

"You ridiculous pretender. Go back to your castle, and I might allow your husband to keep it. You are outnumbered 3 to 1, woman, and my men will destroy your princess army. I give you until the moon turn to surrender."

At this, Ragansdodder wrote back, saying:

"Alas! I am a woman? I have not noticed. Thank you for telling me, cousin-by-law, I wondered why I could not piss standing up. You are a false knight, Ivar. And our princess army knows full well that you outnumber us. Come at us, and kill your princesses."

Hearing this, Ivar set to marching. It was first dawn when Warhorns sounded at Ragansdodder's camp, and she rallied her troops by saying "Ivar! He called all you princesses. Where's the shame in that, eh? If he has to result to ridiculous insults, that just shows that he is already lost! Come on, Princess Army, let's go show him what we can do!"
Ragansdodder won a great victory that day, against all odds. Her men captured Ivar, and delivered him to her.
"What Irony, Ivar the Pretender, that our princesses could defeat you." She was quoted saying, and forced him to end the rebellion, but not without a punishment.
To shame him and his descendants, she forced him to take on a new house name, Dróttnungaraefni, meaning Princess, and made his sigil a skirt.
As Ragansdodder rode into Jorwak, victorious, she was showered by praise and gifts. Guþr came out to her, and helped her off her horse. They walked together, cheery, into the keep of Jorwak.
Ever since, Ragansdodder "The Queen-King" Hvitserk has kept a personal contingent of 200 men, called the Princess Gaurd.
Guþr has reigned in relative peace since then, and has sired 4 sons, and 2 daughters.