Animals you wished didn’t go extinct (due to human contact)

Huh? They'd be bigger & stronger than the average H.sap...
On average they were shorter and stockier than Paleolithic Homo sapiens, although in terms of height (not build), they were about on average with much later agricultural populations. They'd definitely be shorter than upper class Homo sapiens who enjoyed better nutrition.

On average they were shorter and stockier than Paleolithic Homo sapiens, although in terms of height (not build), they were about on average with much later agricultural populations. They'd definitely be shorter than upper class Homo sapiens who enjoyed better nutrition.
I understood they were slightly taller. Thx for the correction.

I would put mammoths at the top of the list. I would also put the 4 ton camels that lived in Arabia although I doubt they could survive as well as their smaller compatriots.

Corals, I think. I always wanted to visit the Great Barrier Reef. EDIT: I know they still exist, mates. I just don't see myself getting the money to visit them while they still do.

Last edited:

One thing in watching this, you get that mammoths and giant camels and ground sloths would not do well in the city. But I could see thylacines if they hadn't been targeted and had a larger population adapting to Australian cities kinda like Coyotes. Passenger Pigeon similarly could do well in cities if they so weren't tasty.

I do enjoy fantasies of dropping some terror birds or a short-faced bear or two in the white house or on golf courses.

Crazy Boris

Banned
It amazes me that of all the animals we like to eat, nobody ever thought of at least breeding more passenger pigeons.
given how they used to be so common their flocks would practically block out the sun, I'm just guessing people assumed there would always be tons of them....until there all of a sudden wasn't

given how they used to be so common their flocks would practically block out the sun, I'm just guessing people assumed there would always be tons of them....until there all of a sudden wasn't
Right, but by the end it was obvious that the flocks were shrinking and God could actually allow animals to go extinct... and the answer was to shoot the last survivors while they still had the chance. I can't believe we share the same genes.

Right, but by the end it was obvious that the flocks were shrinking and God could actually allow animals to go extinct... and the answer was to shoot the last survivors while they still had the chance. I can't believe we share the same genes.
At least the bison didn't go the same way.

800px-Bison_skull_pile-restored.jpg

Crazy Boris

Banned
Yeah, check this bull out for example:

There's still a lot of work left to be done, since this particular specimen's dewlap is still enormous, but the color pattern's perfect and I'm pretty sure the horn shape is too.
and while we're on the topic of breeding back...

I've been keeping up with the Quagga Project's progress on and off ever since I was a kid, and it's fantastic how close they are to recreating the subspecies.