Anglo-Dutch Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.
radical_neutural said:
i'd like to hear about the social side. what is the attitude towards sexuality? are traditional gender roles still in place?

Their attitudes towards sexuality are very different from ours. Think more of a 18th Century sexual attitude- they just don't have OTL's prudishness. Without the moral hypocrisy of the Victorian period a lot of "immorality" is out in the open instead of being conducted covertly behind closed doors e.g. legalised prostitution, a generally lax attitude towards drug use, rich men openly keeping mistresses.

On the other hand they didn't have a reaction to OTL's prudishness like we did so frex a gay identity and gay culture never developed nor a real women's rights movement. There are no overt barriers to women in TTL (after all one of the greatest rulers of the Empire was a woman) but think of it as somewhere around our 1950's- women have to be twice as good as their male peers to make it in many fields unfortunately.

As for homosexuality, plenty of people follow homosexual lifestyles- there's just not much talk about it and homosexual partnerships are officially not acknowledged- just like in OTL early 20th century, you've got a lot of bachelors who happen to have live in male "secretaries" or spinsters who keep house together.

So basically in this world the "counterculture" is a lot more mainstream.

Scarecrow said:
just a question about Australia ITTL...does the settlement patern follow OTL, or is there a more western focused? after all, it is kinda easier to get to the western coast rather then the east, several VOC ships (notibly the Batavia) were shipwreaked of the coast north of Perth...

Don't you mean it's easier to get to the Eastern coast than the West? Perth is in the West.

Australia (or vanDiemensland) was mainly settled by hardcore Calvinist and Lutheran Dutch and Germans (a lot like the settlement pattern of OTL's S. Africa) who mainly produced temperate crops for the Anglo-Dutch colonies in Asia. There was a large population of black slaves along with enslaved Aboriginals. When slavery was abolished in the early 19th Century, Indian and Chinese indentured servants were brought in. The white vanDiemenslanders still maintained a small majority but adopted a rather brutal racist system which was their main basis for rebelling and seceding from the Empire.

Flocculencio said:
A quick map I put together to show how much larger Greater London is in TTL.

East London, as the capital of the Empire as a whole is an Imperial city and administered seperately from the UK in a similar way to Washington D.C. in OTL's US.

Unlike OTL's London, much of the city outside the central area is high-rise although like our London it's suburbs stretch far into the surrounding counties. With a population of 18 million it is the largest city on the planet.

Any major city on the island of Great Britain is within 2 hours journey of London due to the extensive maglev rail links. Five airports service the city, linking it to the other parts of the Empire.
I am guesing that there will still be a Greenwich Meridian in TTL?

Hmm, Flocculencio, that map of London just looks... weird, it just looks too rectangular. Also, I don't think you'd have an official Imperial section of London, most likely there would be Imperial buildings and the Imperial Parliament, but it would be ruled by the London authorities just like Westminster is in OTL or Moscow was in the Soviet Union. It'ld be Imperial London colloquially.

Floid said:
Hmm, Flocculencio, that map of London just looks... weird, it just looks too rectangular. Also, I don't think you'd have an official Imperial section of London, most likely there would be Imperial buildings and the Imperial Parliament, but it would be ruled by the London authorities just like Westminster is in OTL or Moscow was in the Soviet Union. It'ld be Imperial London colloquially.

Yeah it does look a bit rectangular- blame my terrible drawing skills for that. We can explain it in-world by saying that most of the expansion took place in the 20th century and as a result the outer boroughs of London are in many cases planned on a grid system, leading to more regular outlines :p

Re: Imperial London- Possibly but in TTL the Empire was reorganised on explicitly Federal lines in the early 20th C. It makes sense that they'd want Federal (or in this case 'Imperial') neutral ground for the capital.

Flocculencio said:
Maybe, maybe not- I guess it depends on where the Imperial Naval observatory is :D
Greenwich would make sense....

Regardless, you have done a good job with this.

Okay, this is my take on London in the Imperial Commonwealth (Unofficial, don't want to tread on your toes Flocc).
  • The pink denotes 'Greater London'.
  • The orange denotes 'the Imperial territory of London' or colloquially - 'Imperial London'. It is the political heart of the Imperial Commonwealth.
  • The green denotes 'Westminster' and the political heart of the United Kingdom.
  • The red denotes 'The City' and the financial heart of both the Imperial Commonwealth and the United Kingdom.
The whole area constitutes 'London', it is the most expansive city in the world, seeing as New York doesn't exist as it does in OTL in this ATL. It also holds a population 18 million - the largest in the world. It accounts for nearly 25% of the United Kingdom's GDP, and just around 4-5% of the Imperial Commonwealth's total GDP. OTL London has around 17% of the GDP of the UK being around $US550 billion, if we are to take this figure into ATL then the Imperial Commonwealth has a GDP of around $US13.75 trillion - slightly more than OTL European Union and United States.

London hosts many important international financial, political and military organs such as 'the United Nations', 'Imperial Monetary Fund' and 'the World Trade Organisation'. London is also hosts the military headquarters of the Imperial Commonwealth located alongside the Imperial Parliament. London being the capital of the Imperial Commonwealth is nearly nothing like OTL London, there are large sectors of London which have their own unique English, Dutch, Japanese, Indian and African characters and so on - kind of like Chinatown or Little Italy in New York.

London is officially part of the United Kingdom, and is represented as such in elections, however it is managed and ruled as a semi-autonomous region within the Imperial Commonwealth and the United Kingdom. Citizens of London elect their own mayor and council who run London day-to-day. However, if need be the Imperial Commonwealth can pass laws, measures and controls in the Imperial Parliament to take control of the day-to-day handling of London or certain issues, but in reality this rarely happens.

Okay, I'm done. Can't wait for the flaming.

ICLondon.png

Last edited:
Nice one- only thing you missed was that the Imperial Palace is at Greenwich, across the river from the Imperial Parliament on the Isle of Dogs.

I knew I'd get something wrong. :)

Is there no way the Imperial Palace could be moved, or am I going to have to redraw the map?

Floid said:
I knew I'd get something wrong. :)

Is there no way the Imperial Palace could be moved, or am I going to have to redraw the map?

Well you could always just alter that bit in Paint.

I'd do it but I'm terrible at matching colours.

Not your fault Flocc, was a half-arsed attempt by me. :)

I've updated it a bit, stuck in new arrows and captions.

The 'Imperial Exibition' is an exhibition of the Commonwealth representing all that is good about the Empire, this is the place for all corners of the Empire to show off their different cultures, languages, architectures and influences and for the Empire to show its diversity and magnificence; the Imperial Exhibition is sometimes called 'the Eigth Wonder of the World'.

If you need anything changing, or don't like something, just give me a shout.

ICLondon.png

Flocculencio said:
Don't you mean it's easier to get to the Eastern coast than the West? Perth is in the West.

Australia (or vanDiemensland) was mainly settled by hardcore Calvinist and Lutheran Dutch and Germans (a lot like the settlement pattern of OTL's S. Africa) who mainly produced temperate crops for the Anglo-Dutch colonies in Asia. There was a large population of black slaves along with enslaved Aboriginals. When slavery was abolished in the early 19th Century, Indian and Chinese indentured servants were brought in. The white vanDiemenslanders still maintained a small majority but adopted a rather brutal racist system which was their main basis for rebelling and seceding from the Empire.
by following the 'Roaring Forties' east from the cape its easy to get to the west coast. my naval history isnt that great so i dont know the exact route taken to get to Sydney, Melbourne et al.

and i know Perth is on the west coast:rolleyes:

Scarecrow said:
by following the 'Roaring Forties' east from the cape its easy to get to the west coast. my naval history isnt that great so i dont know the exact route taken to get to Sydney, Melbourne et al.

Oh ok- I was under the impression that they approached Sydney et al from the East, coming through the Indies and then South. I might well be mistaken though.

and i know Perth is on the west coast:rolleyes:

I'm sorry- that was bad of me :eek:

Flocculencio said:
Oh ok- I was under the impression that they approached Sydney et al from the East, coming through the Indies and then South. I might well be mistaken though.

I'm sorry- that was bad of me :eek:
i mean, you could have two patterns of colonisation, one on the west, one on the east. also as a note, perhaps northern Queensland could be called New Guniea? its labled that way on some early dutch maps...

Status
Not open for further replies.