And To Think It Might Have Happened: A Ukraine War Timeline

Kirovs are missile carriers whose guns max out at 130mm, so you'd want to deal with it using submarines, aircraft, or your own missile carriers. Not to mention that most examples of the class are decrepit rust buckets that need tug boats following them everywhere. 406mm guns these days are good for shore bombardment, heavy fire support, and maybe last ditch anti-missile work, and not much else. Besides, how many seamen know how to operate naval steam turbines these days?

All fair points but...come on, it would be fucking awesome!

Off-topic comment but following the news, it still could happen... Strange how quickly things can change, bitterly cold eastern winds in Europe currently.

Off-topic comment but following the news, it still could happen... Strange how quickly things can change, bitterly cold eastern winds in Europe currently.

Yeah, especially if the recent talks fail...I feel like Putin is just playing with us, he just wants to make it look like hes trying to reach a peaceful settlement :mad:

Whether Europe is headed for war or another 70 years of peace is not really a topic here.No one can now for sure until it happens and that's that.

Unfortunately, this timeline is having to come to a close. I've really enjoyed writing it, and the response by the community has been mind blowing. But ultimately I feel that I've let it deviate down a path where it's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to salvage. As one of you said, it was straying into Call of Duty territory. I think it was already obvious that this wasn't going to last much longer considering the fact that it was practically in suspended animation for the last couple of months, and I'm wanting to move onto new and exciting adventures on this site, of which I already have a couple of ideas swimming around. I realise that the end of this might disappoint those of you who were following this, and for that I couldn't be more sorry. I've never had a response to one of my threads resembling anything near to this, and so for that I'm very thankful. If some plucky young hero wanted to pick up the baton and try continuing this themselves, or if several people wanted to, I couldn't encourage it more. But my time here is up. Rest assured however, y'all ain't seen the last of me ;)

Unfortunately, this timeline is having to come to a close. I've really enjoyed writing it, and the response by the community has been mind blowing. But ultimately I feel that I've let it deviate down a path where it's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to salvage. As one of you said, it was straying into Call of Duty territory. I think it was already obvious that this wasn't going to last much longer considering the fact that it was practically in suspended animation for the last couple of months, and I'm wanting to move onto new and exciting adventures on this site, of which I already have a couple of ideas swimming around. I realise that the end of this might disappoint those of you who were following this, and for that I couldn't be more sorry. I've never had a response to one of my threads resembling anything near to this, and so for that I'm very thankful. If some plucky young hero wanted to pick up the baton and try continuing this themselves, or if several people wanted to, I couldn't encourage it more. But my time here is up. Rest assured however, y'all ain't seen the last of me ;)

Thanks for this, Star Eater. I'm looking forward to your next project!

Whether Europe is headed for war or another 70 years of peace is not really a topic here.No one can now for sure until it happens and that's that.

Yeah, fair enough, but it is quite rare that one sees a timeline that is still rather, well, current... For a Finn this is not a remote subject - I myself have not been worried for two decades, but I am now. Russia does not seem to be predictable any longer, and it's going to have a severe economic downturn in the coming months, maybe even a semi-collapse. Who knows how the current leadership will react to it, rationally or irrationally?

But anyway, a very good and very chilling timeline, thanks for that!

Understandable. Writing a AH timeline at a point when most of the topics are still current is challenging.

Well, I was enjoying the read regardless of whether it was strictly realistic or not. Good effort, thanks for the read, I look forward to other efforts. Will the other TL about a Tory-UKIP coalition you had going some time ago make a comeback? I liked that one too! :p