Ancient Geography Database

Very Interesting.

As for colours, I can suggest the following:

1. For showing tribes which are independent, but still part of the same cultural group, I've developed this method: (see Russia, Poland, Ireland below) which essentially outlines the states in the colour requried, without colouring any of them in. I've got to work for the Russian Principalities, Chinese Warring Dynasties and Disaperate Greek City States/Colonies, so it should work for the tribes.
attachment.php

In terms of the colour to use, I'd say that the following rules could be used:

1. That if there is a direct linguistic link between states and tribes occupying the same area, they would have the same colour (for example, Wales and Brythonic tribes).

2. That otherwise, culture takes precedence over location (such that the French colour would be given to pre-migration Franks).

3. That colours which aren't used for main tribal groups can be assigned to local tribal groups (for example, the Gauls could get either the colour for 'disaperate French Vassals' or the Belgian colour.)

I've also got a couple of possible colours for Wales (see attatchment), the purple may be a bit close to the colour for French Dominions, but for this project that shouldn't be a problem, and we can work around that otherwise (essentially, with the TCS+ system I'm using being primarily for OTL maps, the French Dominion colour is likely not to be used). The Red may be too similar to the idea for England.

Finally, I reckon I can probably give a hand with some of the Mayan city states and British (though not Irish) Tribes of the immediate pre-conquest era.

Wales Test.png

Very Interesting.

As for colours, I can suggest the following:

1. For showing tribes which are independent, but still part of the same cultural group, I've developed this method: (see Russia, Poland, Ireland below) which essentially outlines the states in the colour requried, without colouring any of them in. I've got to work for the Russian Principalities, Chinese Warring Dynasties and Disaperate Greek City States/Colonies, so it should work for the tribes.
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=126072&stc=1&d=1294350708
In terms of the colour to use, I'd say that the following rules could be used:

1. That if there is a direct linguistic link between states and tribes occupying the same area, they would have the same colour (for example, Wales and Brythonic tribes).

2. That otherwise, culture takes precedence over location (such that the French colour would be given to pre-migration Franks).

3. That colours which aren't used for main tribal groups can be assigned to local tribal groups (for example, the Gauls could get either the colour for 'disaperate French Vassals' or the Belgian colour.)

I've also got a couple of possible colours for Wales (see attatchment), the purple may be a bit close to the colour for French Dominions, but for this project that shouldn't be a problem, and we can work around that otherwise (essentially, with the TCS+ system I'm using being primarily for OTL maps, the French Dominion colour is likely not to be used). The Red may be too similar to the idea for England.

Finally, I reckon I can probably give a hand with some of the Mayan city states and British (though not Irish) Tribes of the immediate pre-conquest era.

A fascinating concept, I think I will go for it in the future! I like the idea of using French Dominions color (116-116-184) for the Gauls - I think this will accomodate both the Gallo-Roman and the Frankish perspective. ;) By extension, theoretically a French Dominion color outline could hence be used for the Gallic-speaking areas further to the East (Cisalpine Gaul, Central Europe, as well as for the Gallic incursion into the Balkans and Anatolia).

A fascinating concept, I think I will go for it in the future! I like the idea of using French Dominions color (116-116-184) for the Gauls - I think this will accomodate both the Gallo-Roman and the Frankish perspective. ;) By extension, theoretically a French Dominion color outline could hence be used for the Gallic-speaking areas further to the East (Cisalpine Gaul, Central Europe, as well as for the Gallic incursion into the Balkans and Anatolia).

This probably means that the Purple for Wales is not the best colour to go for. Perhaps 51-96-66 instead? It produces a rather pleasent grey-green colour that is dissimilar to the colour for radical Russia.

Part #3 - First Supplementary on Gaul (Gallia Belgica)

This is the first supplementary on Gaul, specifically regarding the Roman province of Gallia Belgica - it's primarily taken also from Ptolemy's Geography. There's a large overlap with the tribal map I posted, but there is also number of uncertainties and mistakes with Ptolemy which I have marked. It's very clear however that with this list I'm trying to represent Roma Gaul, rather than Gaul on the eve of the Roman conquest. I've ordered the town names alphabetically this time, if you have a better suggestion how to order them, please tell me:

Andomatunnum of the "Longones" (probably a corruption of "Lingones", hence Langres)
Aquae Grannae - "the waters of Grannos" (Aachen)
Argentoratum of the Vangiones (Strassbourg)
Argentovaria of the Raurici (near Colmar)
Atuatucum of the Tungri (Tongeren)
Augusta Rauricorum of the Raurici (Kaiseraugust)
Augusta Treverorum of the Treveri (Trier)
Augusta Vessonum of the Vessones (probably "Augusta Suessonum" of the Suessiones - hence Soissons)
Augusta Viromandeum of the Viromandui (Saint-Quentin, Aisne Department)
Aventicum of the Sequani (near Avenches, Switzerland)
Bagacum of the Nervi (Bavay)
Batavodurum of the Batavi (Nijmegen)
Bonna (Bonn)
Borbetomagus of the Vangiones (Worms)
Breucomagus of the Tribocci (Brumath, Alsace)
Castellum of the Menapi (Cassel)
Caesaromagus of the Bellovaci (Beauvais)
Colonia Aggripinensis (Cologne)
Dittatium of the Sequani (???)
Dividurum of the Mediomatrici (Metz)
Durocottorum of the Remi (Reims)
Equestris of the Sequani (Nyon, Switzerland)
Forum Tiberii of the Helvetii (???)
Ganodurum of the Helvetii (???)
Gesoriacum (Boulogne-sur-Mer) - mentioned as a port of the Morini
Helcebus of the Tribocci (???)
Lugdunum Batavorum (Katwijk, Netherlands)
"Metacum" of the Atrebates (possibly a corruption of Nemetacum, hence probably Arras)
Mocontiacum (Mainz)
Nasium of the Leuci (near Naix-aux-Forges, Meuse Department)
Neomagus of the Nemetes (probably a corruption of "Noviomagus", hence Speyer)
Ratomagus of the "Subanecti" (???)
Rufiniana of the Nemetes (Rouffach, Alsace)
Samarobriva of the Ambiani (Amiens)
Tarvanna of the Morini (Therouanne)
Tullium of the Leuci (Toul)
Veterra (probably "Castra Veterra", which would be Xanten)
Visentium of the Sequani (Besançon)

Rivers
Mosa River (Meuse)
Obruncus or Obrincas River (???)
Phrudis River (Bresle)
Rhenos River (Rhine, makes up the western boundary of the province Gallia Belgica)
Tabula River (Schledt*)

Mountains:
Adulas Mountains (Adula Alps)
Jurassus Mountains (Jura mountains)

Other features:
The "Itium Promontory" - today called "Le Hourdel" near Cayeux-sur-Mer ( 50°13'00'' N, 1°34'13'' E )

*thanks to Alex Richards

Last edited:
This probably means that the Purple for Wales is not the best colour to go for. Perhaps 51-96-66 instead? It produces a rather pleasent grey-green colour that is dissimilar to the colour for radical Russia.

Well, it was just a suggestion. Said color could work for Wales, though. I'm honestly very undecided, and I'm not sure I'd want to decide this one, anyways. ;)

Well done! What sources have you been using?

To be honest, I should kind of say "too many to listen here". :p

Part #4 - Second Supplementary on Gaul (Gallia Lugdunensis)

This is the second supplementary on Gaul, covering the Roman province of Gallia Lugdunensis - again according to Ptolemy (who, as skilled as he was for his time, made a few blunders). Something interesting I noticed is how certain Gaulish names get corrupted. For example a town which originally in Gaulish was probably named "Noviodunon" ("New town" or "New fort") was latinized as "Noviodunum" and finally rendered as "Neodunum". While this may be a mistake on Ptolemy's side, it might also reflect the decline of the Gaulish language that was certainly happening already in the 2nd century AD. Gaulish may actually still have been spoken at the begin of the Frankish period (5th century AD), but became extinct soon afterwards.

Lugdunensian Towns
Agedicum of the Senones (Sens, Burgundy)
Argenua of the Biducasi (a corruption of the Baiocasses, possibly Vieux)
Augustobona of the Parisi (possibly he refers to Augustobona Tricassium - which would be Troyes)
Augustodunum of the Aedui (Autun)
Autricum of the Carnutae (Chartres)
"Brivates Harbour" (Brest)
Cabyllinum of the Aedui (Chalon-sur-Saone)
Caesarodunum of the Turones (Tours)
Cenabum of the Carnutae (Orleans)
Condate of the Rhendones (Rennes)
Condivincum of the Namnetae (probably Nantes)
Crociatonum of the Venelli (possibly Carentan, Normandy)
Dariotium of the Veneti (Vannes)
Forum Segusianorum (???)
Ingena of the Abrincatui (???)
Iuliobana of the Caletae (???)
Latinum of the Meldae (???)
"Lucotecia" of the Parisi (a corruption of "Lutetia" - Paris)
Lugdunum of the Aedui (Lyon)
Mediolanium of the Aulirci Eburaici (Evreux)
Neodunum of the Aulircii Diablintae (Jublains)
Neomagus of the Lexubi (Lisieux)
Neomagus of the Vadicasi (???)
Ratomagus of the Veneliocasi (probably Ratomagus of the Veliocasses)
Rhodumna of the Segusiavi (Roanne, Loire Department)
Vagoritum of the Arvi (???)
Vorganium (or Vorgium) of the Osismii (Carhaix-Plouguer)

Rivers
Liger river (Loire) - marks the border to Gallia Aquitania
Herius river (Vilaine*) - flows into the Atlantic Ocean
Olina river (Orne*) - flows into the English Channel, it's mouth lies in Venelli territory
Titus river (???) - flows into the English Channel
Sequana river (Seine) - marks the border to Gallia Belgica - it's mouth lies in Lexovii territory

Other geographic features
"Germanic Ocean" - the North Sea (actually Gallia Belgica borders to it, not Gallia Lugdunensis, but I decided to add it here)
"Britannic Ocean" - the English Channel
"Gabeum promontory" - presumably the westernmost part of the Brittany penninsula (judging from the coordinates that Ptolemy gives)

*thanks to Alex Richards for these river names

Last edited:
I wonder if the River Herius is perhaps the Vilaine, and the Olina is the Orne? While perhaps one of the Obrincis or Tabula is the Somme?

Part #5 - Third Supplementary on Gaul (Gallia Aquitania)

During the Roman period, the areas north of the Garonne and south of the Loire were added to the Roman province of Aquitania. In the list below, tribes that were definitely Gaulish are rendered blue, whereas tribes that were definitely Aquitanian are rendered red.

Aginnum of the Nitiobriges (Agen, Lot-et-Garonne Department)
Anderedum of the Gabali (near Javols, Lozere Department)
Aquae Augustae of the Tarbelli (Dax, Landes Department)
Augusta of the Ausci (Auch, Midi-Pyrenees)
Augustonemetum of the Arverni (originaly probably called "Nemessos" - modern Clermont-Ferrand)
Augustoritum of the Lemovici (Limoges)
Avaricum of the Biturges Cubi (Bourges)
Burdigalia of the Biturges Vivisci (Bordeaux)
Cossium of the Vassari (Bazas, Gironde Department)
Dueona of the Cadurci (corruption of "Divona Cadurcorum" - Quercy region)
"Harbour of the Santones" (probably Royan)
Limunum of the Pictones (Poitiers)
Lugdunum of the Convenae (Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, Haute-Garonne Department)
Mediolanium of the Santones (Saintes)
Noviomagus of the Biturges Vivisci (???)
Ratiatum of the Pictones (Reze, Loire-Atlantique Department)
Ruessium of the Velauni (Ruessium of the Vellavi, Le Puy-en-Velay)
Segodunum of the Rutani (Rodez)
Tasta of the Dati (???)
Vesuna of the Petrocori (Perigueux)

Rivers and other features:
Aturis river (Adour*)
Canentelus river (Charente)
Curianum promontory (perhaps the Arcachon penninsula)
Garumna river (Garonne)
"Promontory of the Santones" (approximately 45°47' N, 1°14' W)
"Sicor Harbour" (somewhere between the mouth of the Canentelus river and mouth of the Loire - possibly La Rochelle*)
Sigmatis river (???, but located in Aquitania proper)
Liger river (Loire), formes border to Gallia Lugdunensis

*thanks to Alex Richards

Last edited:
I wonder if the River Herius is perhaps the Vilaine, and the Olina is the Orne? While perhaps one of the Obrincis or Tabula is the Somme?

Good shots about the Herius and the Olina! :D
I will add those two above. I'm not sure about the Obrincis and the Tabula, however. From Ptolemy, we know that the mouth of the Tabula is located between Gesoriacum (Boulogne-sur-Mer) and the mouth of the Mosa. For the Obrincis or Obruncus, I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression that it's a river that flows into the Rhine on it's left bank.

Part #6 - Fourth Supplementary on Gaul (Gallia Narbonensis)

This is the southernmost Roman province in Gaul. Unlike northern Gaul, this region saw a bewildering influence of Greek, Ligurian and even Iberian influence.

Towns in the territory of the "Comani" (possibly the Commoni, a Ligurian tribe):
Forum Julii (Frejus)
Massilia (Marseilles) - originally a Greek colony
Olbia (Heyeres) - originally a Greek colony
Tauroentium (???)

Towns in the territory of the Volcae Tectosages:
Baetirae (also called "Betarra" and "Baeterrae Septimanorum" - modern Beziers)
Carcaso (Carcassone)
Cessero (Saint-Thibery, Herault Department)
Illiberis (Elne, Pyrenees-Orientales) - interestingly, an Iberian name
Narbon (Narbonne)
Ruscinon (Chateau-Roussilion)
Tolosa (Toulouse)

Towns in the territory of the Cavari:
Acausion (possibly an error, ie, a corruption of Arausion)
Avennion (Avignon)
Arausion (Orange, Vaucluse Department)
Cabellion (Cavaillon)

Other Towns of Gallia Narbonensis:
Agatha (Agde)
Albaugusta of the Elyoci (a corruption of "Alba Augusta" of the Helvii - modern Alba-la-Romaine)
Antipolis of the Deciati (Antibes)
"Colonia Maritima" of the Avatici (???)
Dinia of the Senti (Digne-les-Bains)
Forum Neronis of the Memini (also known as "Carpentoracte Meminorum" - modern Carpentras)
Nemausum of the Volcae Areomici (Nimes)
Noeomagus of the Tricastini (possibly Saint-Paul-Trois-Chateaux)
Vasion of the Voconti (Vaison-la-Romaine)
Vienna of the Segallauni ("Segalauni"?)
Vindomagus of the Volcae Areomici (???)

Rivers and other features:
Araurus river (Herault*)
Atagis river (Aude river*)
Caenus river (Cagne*)
Druentia river (Durance)
Dubis river (Doubs*)
Illeris river (Teche*)
Isar river (flows into the Rhodanus - probably the Isere)
Lacus Lemanus (Lake Geneva - forms part of the eastern boundary of Gallia Narbonensis)
Mount Setius (Mount Saint-Clair near Sete)
Orobis river (Orb*)
Rhodanus river (Rhone)
Ruscionis river (Tet river, but the name "Ruscionis" is possibly the source of the region's modern name "Roussilion"*)
Varus river (Var*)

*thanks to Alex Richards for these river names

Last edited:
Good shots about the Herius and the Olina! :D
I will add those two above. I'm not sure about the Obrincis and the Tabula, however. From Ptolemy, we know that the mouth of the Tabula is located between Gesoriacum (Boulogne-sur-Mer) and the mouth of the Mosa. For the Obrincis or Obruncus, I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression that it's a river that flows into the Rhine on it's left bank.

The Tabula is probably the Schledt then, it's the largest river between those two. The Aturis River is probably the Adour, which is down near Biarriz, while the Harbour at Sicor could be La Rochelle. If it wasn't in Narboensis, I would probably put the Dubis River as the Doub (though the province may extend that far North, I can't recall). The Atagis could be the Argens, the Varus is most likely the Var, and the Caenus is either the Var's tributary the Cians or the seperate river the Cagne.

The Tabula is probably the Schledt then, it's the largest river between those two. The Aturis River is probably the Adour, which is down near Biarriz, while the Harbour at Sicor could be La Rochelle. If it wasn't in Narboensis, I would probably put the Dubis River as the Doub (though the province may extend that far North, I can't recall). The Atagis could be the Argens, the Varus is most likely the Var, and the Caenus is either the Var's tributary the Cians or the seperate river the Cagne.

Many thanks. All of those make perfect sense (and I already added them) except for the Atagis, because the Argens is located in the east. I just re-checked however and found out this: if I understand Ptolemy right, the Illeris, Ruscionis, Atagis, Orobis and Araurus rivers (in this order) have their mouths located along the Mediterranean between the Pyrenees and Sete, which would put them all somewhere in the southwest.

Otherwise, I'm looking for my next additions towards the British Isles, the Iberian Penninsula and the Alpine region... any preferences what to finish first, folks? :)

Part #7 - First Supplementary on Germania Magna

This is a rather small one, because like Sandmannius prophecized, listing and localizing all the Germanic tribes takes longer than I thought. However, here is a small addition taken largely (but not exclusively) from Ptolemy:

Boundaries:
- in the west, it is bound by the Rhine (Rhenos).
- in the north, Germania Magna is bound by the North Sea ("Oceanus Germanicus") and the Baltic Sea (Mare Suebicum).
- in the east, it is bound by the Vistula.
- in the southeast, it is bound by the western Carpathians ("Sarmaticos Montes")
- in the south, it is bound by the Danube (Danubius).

Rivers:
Amisia - Ems
Albis - Elbe
Chalusus - possibly the Trave
Danubius - Danube, forms the southern border of Germania Magna. The Celtic name was probably "Danuvios" or "Danu". What is also preserved is the Dacian name, "Ister", which was adopted by the Greeks (Istros).
Suevus - located between Chalusus and Viadua, localization unclear
Viadua - Oder
Vidrus - somewhere between the Rhine (probably the northernmost mouth) and the Ems
Vistula - same in English, forms the eastern border of Germania Magna
Visurgis - Weser

Other geographic features:
Alpes Montes - Swabian Albs
Cimbrian Penninsula - Jutland
Orcynian Plain - the plain in southwestern Slovakia, between the Danube and the western Carpathians. Interestingly, in earlier times, the term "Orcynia" or "Hercynian Forest" was used for the entire (forested) region of southern Germania from the Rhine to the Carpathians. The name continues to be used today for the Harz mountains, which probably lay at the northern edge of the Hercynian forest.
Sarmatian Mountains - probably the western Carpathians (form part of the southeastern border of Germania Magna)
Saxon Isles - probably the North Frisian Isles
Scandian Isles - the Danish Isles (ie, Zealand, Fyn, etc.)

Last edited:
Part #8 - Ireland

Time Period: 2nd century AD

Ireland, known as "Ierne" or "Hibernia" in Antiquity, lay at the fringe of the known world of classical Antiquity. Considering this, it is quite remarkable what amount of detail was known about it, which are also found in Ptolemy's Geography. The problem however is that there's a considerable amount of discontinuity between ancient Ireland and the later medieval Ireland, suggesting considerable amount of turmoil and political changes in Ireland in the intermediate centuries. This also makes it kind of difficult identifying the landmarks that are mentioned. Nonetheless, if you, from the alternate history perspective, wish to create a Roman (or otherwise ancient) Ireland, this might be your best shot.

Ancient Irish was a Q-Celtic language (as opposed to the P-Celtic languages spoken in Britain and Gaul, but similar to the Celtic dialects and languages spoken in Hispania - which lends some merit to the Irish legend regarding the Milesians). Paradoxially, ancient Irish as late as the 4th century AD probably was however much closer to Gaulish, despite Gaulish being a P-Celtic language. This was because it was closer to Common Celtic than to modern Irish - because the Irish language made a lot of innovations later on. If you want to feature ancient Irish personal names, you might wish to consider this trivia. ;)

Irish tribes
Auteini - "Uaithni" in Medieval times
Brigantes - also in Britain, Gallaecia and Vindelicia
Cauci
Coriondi
Darini - Ulster region (the name "Dairine" derives from them)
Eblani
Erdini
Gangani or Cancani - Connacht region (the name "Connacht" actually derives from "Cancani")
Iverni - Munster region
Manapii or Menapii - Also in Gallia Belgica
Nagnatae or Magnatae
Robogdii - northeastern Ireland (Ulster)
Uellabori or Vellabori
Uennicnii or Vennicnii (northern Ireland, Donegal area)
Uodiae or Vodiae
Uolunti or Volunti - Ulster (the name "Ulaidh" derives from them)

Irish towns (coastal):
Magnata - somewhere near the west coast (inside Magnatae territory)
Manapia - possibly Wicklow (specifically the settlement that predated Wicklow, since the town itself was founded much later by the Vikings)
Eblana - at/near the site of Dublin

Irish towns (inland):
Dunum ("Fort")
Hibernis - probably along the Shannon
Laberus
Macolicum
Regia
Regia Altera ("Another Regia") - probably along the Moy river
Rhaeba

Rivers
Argita river (Main)
Ausoba river (Moy river?)
Birgus river (Barrow river)
Bubindas river (Boyne)
Dabrona river (Blackwater river)
Duris river (Shannon estuary)
Iernus river (Laune)
Libnius river (Garavogue river?)
Logia river (Lagan)
Modonnus river (Liffey)
Oboca river (eastern coast, ???)
Ravius river (Erne river)
Senus river (Corrib river?)
Vidua river (Foyle)
Vinderis river (Fane)

Other features:
"Boreum promontory" - approximately 54°40' N, 8°47' W
Monaoeda Island - The Isle of Man
"Promontory of the Rhobogdi" - 55°13' N, 6°08' W (inside Moyle District, Northern Ireland)
"Sacred promontory" - Carnsore point, Wexford County
"Southern promontory" - possibly Mizen Head, Cork County
"Vennicnian promontory" - Malin Head, Donegal County

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Nice work EQ. I particularly like the point about the Volunti being the source of the name 'Ulaidh'--given that when this name went to being Ulster in English it was then re-Latinised to "Ultonia", showing you how Middle Ages scholars putting once-Latin names back into Latin without knowing the originals can result in some strange names.

Nice work EQ. I particularly like the point about the Volunti being the source of the name 'Ulaidh'--given that when this name went to being Ulster in English it was then re-Latinised to "Ultonia", showing you how Middle Ages scholars putting once-Latin names back into Latin without knowing the originals can result in some strange names.

Thanks! :)

Interesting detail regarding Ulster. I didn't know that, but it sure sounds like a very British thing to do. ;)

There's a number of strange made-up-Latin terms in Germany as well, such as "Borussia" for "Prussia" (which for example is inherited in "Borussia Dortmund"), which is even sillier because the Romans didn't have a word yet for the Prussia (they were aware however of the Balts in general - I will actually get to that later).

Thande

Donor
Thanks! :)

Interesting detail regarding Ulster. I didn't know that, but it sure sounds like a very British thing to do. ;)

There's a number of strange made-up-Latin terms in Germany as well, such as "Borussia" for "Prussia" (which for example is inherited in "Borussia Dortmund"), which is even sillier because the Romans didn't have a word yet for the Prussia (they were aware however of the Balts in general - I will actually get to that later).

It's very common in Britain, not least because the mediaeval scholars often didn't know the original Latin name. For instance, Cambridge under the Romans was 'Duroliponte', but later scholars Latinised the modern English name to "Cantabrigia", hence why a degree from Cambridge is identified as (Cantab.)

However this isn't always the case--my hometown of Doncaster still had a lot of extant Roman sources and so is properly known by its original Roman name of Danum (though everyone pronounces it Day-num when in the Latin I think it should be Dann-um).

Cisalpine Gaul tribes (main)

Insubres
Orobii
Taurinii
Leponti
Boi
Senoni

About Franks: their ancestor were from modern Netherland, and soare their descendent after the fall of the frankish empire, so orange may be a possible color, but that would be confusing with the later "orangist" Nehterland (from William of Orange. Red for welsh/brittonic may actually be a good idea, as it would be "the land of the Great Red Dragon" (Penn Ddraigh Goch - Pendragon) so that may even become the color of a possible Camelot TL (Arthurwank!). The confusion with British pale red would not be a strict problem, as Henry I claimed descent from, and thus continuity with, the arthurian line, a rather tall tale but it sort of legitimized his claim to the throne and thus sort of the very existence of the British Empire as a whole, so it may be worthy to keep up the illusion. Scots and Picts would be some shade of green. Not fully convinced of the pale French option for Gaul, and for Cisalpine Gaul, but it may stand for the same reason of the Welsh red/British pale red option.

So, a proposed TCS (tribal colo(u)r scheme could be:

Welsh= red(dish)
Angles= pale red/pink
Saxons= pale gray
Picts= scottish green (?)
Franks= orange (french blue?)
Gaulish= pale french (pale green?)
Goths= dark gray (outlined for eastern/western Goths)
Frisians= ?