anangrycelt.rumblr.isle - A Blog

I'm just an ignorant Russian (Krivich, to be more precise, though, this is some pet peeves regarding proud Baltic blood etc) from Mangazeya (yes, it's near Arctic circle, but no, polar bears DON'T walk our streets and don't drink vodka doing this), but... your fiancée has some remarkable physique for some of Nipponese ancestry.
Though maybe there are stereotypes of Nipponese girls all being petite, but playing Long-Goal as a frontwoman against men...she couldn't have been the stereotype. Maybe that's what was a thing!

I don't care about Long-Goal too much, I am aware that Russians suck in it, thank you very much (or more likely Russian women do suck - we have only a handful of female pros). So maybe my views of this are of typical ignorant foreigner. Though to be honest, focus of our female team sports on lapta (known as rounders for you) is quite boring. Women should have get a chance in some full contact stuff.

I would like to know more about the Xin Manzhou. Was it used to be a part of a Ostlandish country or a colony? What is the government structure of it? A monarchy, or a republic? Thank you!

First things first: this by far the most brilliant TL beginning I remember.

J'ai raté tous yo mais je suis passer du temps avec ma belle fiancé, Lizabet.
I apologise for absolutely butchering that Frankish but I failed it at school,

This butchering of French hurts my eyes but it is obviously justified in-context so OK :)

You might want to correct Le Nouveau Rome to La Nouvelle-Rome, however.

One question however about your previous posts. Which OTL movie did you extract the screencaps for Burn Bright from?

This butchering of French hurts my eyes but it is obviously justified in-context so OK :)

One question however about your previous posts. Which OTL movie did you extract the screencaps for Burn Bright from?

I can answer that last point, it's from 2004's "King Arthur" (a movie with an interesting premise and a good cast, but gets sooooo many things wrong historically or mythologically). The woman in question is Guinevere, played by Keira Knightley.

I can answer that last point, it's from 2004's "King Arthur" (a movie with an interesting premise and a good cast, but gets sooooo many things wrong historically or mythologically). The woman in question is Guinevere, played by Keira Knightley.

Guinevere wearing this? And now I regret having asked...

Thanks, however, for the quick answer !

AWW, you're making me blush! :D

Yeah no my real life French is that bad, I've always been bad at it. I'll make that correction though, thanks for pointing that out.

Update in a couple hours BTW.

Wow, some great responses out there, thanks for the support guys!
Anyways, here are a couple of th questions/comments you guys set me up with:

Q&A - Round 2

Q) Hello! Long-time reader, first-time poster here. My first question for you is this: say you have somebody (me, for example) that has half-Aenglish, half-Sudreyjar ancestry (along with some Native, to be sure) and can trace back their entrance to the west as being from the Isles. Which country would one end up in? My guess would be either North Columbia or Setterland (hopefully the latter if one likes warmer and muggier climes, the former if snow and four equal seasons are your thing); I ask as somebody trying to figure out settlement patterns (which I know are more about trends than real rules).

A) Oh North Columbia big time, though Setterland has a large Ænglic minority and the people of Sudreyjar have a presence in Helluland, Columbia has always been the number one hot spot for Germanic Islanders, hence the whole “proud germanic blood” thing they’ve got going on. :/

Q) Being a stupid Ostlander, I'm not too sure of what happened between the Isles and the Franks (outside the fact that Breizh came about at some point, although I'm not sure the Isles were responsible for it). Anything of note I should know about that?

A) Ah, a classic story and one of the best parts of early Brytan history. Basicly in the early day of the Kingdoms, the Brytons all used gavelkind succession which basicly divides all of the land up between the sons of the previous Monarch. Queen Maya gave birth to one son, Arthur, who inherited both his parents Kingdoms and created the title: “High King of Albion”. Arthur would famously bring his two kingdoms to their modern borders and sire four sons of his own; Arthur II, Aed, Aeden and Bradan. Before his death, Arthur declared Arthur Junior the High King of Albion, with Aed taking Brytan for his own and Aeden taking Ænglia, each subservient to Arthur. Bradan, however, had no lands of his own to take. Petitioning his three brothers, he asked for an army which he could take and conquer a land of his own, promising to pledge allegiance to Arthur once he returned. Bradan had many of the traits of his Ænglic father and was feared as a raider and warrior. Arthur agreed and each of the other brothers raised an army of two thousand men. Sailing across the Narrow Straight he landed in Gaul and began his conquest.

The Franks had been expanding eastward but were still in contest with many of the Gaulish tribes, not to mention the ever weakening Rome. Taking advantage of this, Bradan married a Gaulish princess and laid claim to everything within the Roman Province of Armorica, modern Breizh. Following the Battle of Vindinium, Arthur declared the Kingdom of Breizh and. as promised, pledged his allegiance to the Crown. This would start the Thousand Years war between the Isles and Francia over the region but Breizh remained and remains fiercely Celtic and resistant to Latin influence. Again, wasted movie opportunity, it could've been a fantastic sequel to Burn Bright!

Q) Which language would you say is more prevalent in the Ostland continent? I imagine that countries such as North Columbia or Dixie are a bit more buttier in that regard, but Xin Manzhou seems a rather obvious lock for a Cathese/Chinese/etc. tongue.

A) You of course have Nord and Geatish in the northern provinces but they’re fairly low population, same goes for the Native languages of the plains. It’s got to be Xin Manzhou, population wise they’re almost twice as big as Dixie and three times as big as New Vinland. IN terms of area though? Probably Bryton, the primary language in Setterland and important in North Columbia, though most people there would speak Ænglic as their first language. Dixie has large East Asian minority groups but I’m pretty sure most of the population speaks Frankish.

Q) Good on you to give Long-Goal its due, but what other sports would you say you like as well? Granted I imagine you're predisposed to Long-Goal, but do you participate or watch any others?

A) Gotta love a bit of Rounders, super popular throughout Europe (especially the Isles), not too complex, not too taxing, good amount of fun and hey, it’s a game you Ostlanders actually know how to play.

Q)Bulls for the Cup! No, who am I kidding; they haven't had a hope since '68. Do you follow any team in particular?

A) Dude, Direwolves all the way! The way we smashed the lions last year was just… fantastic. It’s been a good couple years to be a Northern Brytan.

northern-dire-wolves-t-shirt.jpg

Q) ...your fiancée has some remarkable physique for some of Nipponese ancestry!

A) Yeah, Liz’s Dad is a Dixie native and he’s a mighty big chap, so she's got her mothers pretty Nipponese face on a 6' 2" body, making her a good inch taller than me! The one advantage I've got over her when it comes to Long-Goal is the lack of certain... chest appendages that get in the way. ;)

Q)... I am aware that Russians suck in it(Long-Goal) , thank you very much (or more likely Russian women do suck - we have only a handful of female pros)

A) Eh, it’s mostly a lack of funding and Russia doesn't have a very large population so it’s just less people to potentially play but hey you guys got to the semi-final in ‘03!

Q) I would like to know more about the Xin Manzhou. Was it used to be a part of a Ostlandish country or a colony?

A) Ah, Xin Manzhou is a pretty damn complex case. First colonised in the early 16th century, it was just an outcrop of the Chinese Empire, which at the time was heavily under the influence of the Eunuchs. With the discovering of gold in the region, they had a little boom in the early 18th century but shortly after the Emperor had a… falling out with the eunuchs, most were exiled to Xin Manzhou. Eunuchs weren’t exactly suited for population growth though and it didn’t make that huge of a bump in the grand scheme. Anyway, the region became basically independent when the Emperor washed his hands of the Eunuch class. The Bureaucracy set up by the Eunuchs is still in place today, so the whole country is run like a damn Company. It’s quite possibily the least political nation on earth, no parties and no ideologies, just the Board. Nice enough place though, I had fun studying there.

Q)We know what you don't like; but which of the series and films currently showing get the angrycelt seal of approval?

A) It’s in Geatish with subtitles but if you’re willing to put up with that, Cold Eyes is a goddamn amazing murder mystery series, fantastic acting and really creative mysteries, a must see for any fan of the genre.

benedict-cumberbatchv3.jpg

Geatish Actor Einwulfgar Dercamagnarson as the protaganist of Cold Eyes, rogue Lawyer Arnold Wulf

Movie wise I loved Song of Dreams and Dust, fantastic spin on the fantasy genre which is getting pretty overused, SDD was so dark and so well written I can’t help but love it! It’s also wonderful to have another book by R. R. Tolk get adapted to the big screen, I love to see the classics getting some attention.

To rant for a second though? The new Grey-Knight film was a total let down, especially considering how good the last one was and how good the comics are getting.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your questions, now if you don't mind it's like 3 am and I have to get some sleep, I'll put something else up in a couple days, hell we might even get political with the elections coming up!

IC: Thanks for the feedback, anangrycelt! I should clarify that I'm not Aenglic, but rather talking about some cousins of mine (they live in east-central Columbia FWIW) who wanted to see about where they might've ended up were it not for the...unpleasantness there that I'm sure you know all about. Me, I am half-Sudreyjar, but the other half's Hibernian. We headed to warmer climes a long time ago on our side of the family, but still visit often. It helps that, even tanned, we still stand out as Islanders :p. Also, thanks for the reminder of the Briezh expedition, it's amazing what you miss out on sometimes (then again, our school system blows hard, especially in history). I look forward to more of what you've got to say. And FWIW, while I don't speak a lick of Geatish I too enjoy "Cold Eyes".

OOC: What ^ said, keep up the good work! Also, please check your Inbox whenever you find it convenient please :).

Last edited:
Heh, cool blog you got there. I was originally from Helluland, but I've got immediate ancestry not just from this place, but Setterland, Dixie, and even North Columbia as well(although my mother was actually born in Seattle Cove in the Federation, as my grandmother was a member of the International Doctor's Society, and my granddad was a Dixian diplomat; both were stationed there at the time. The last of my North Columbian ancestors left the country in the early 1900s. btw, thanks to the problems there), with ultimate roots going back to Scandinavia, Breizh, France, the German states, and of course, Brytan too.....amongst other places(I even have a couple of Serbo-Croatian, Polish, Russian, and Baltic ancestors thrown in there). :)

Also, you know of Liberate Columbia? I still do have a few distant cousins living in N.C. and all but one of them seems to be involved in various of the liberation groups.

OOC: Been watching this for a while. Seems interesting, and kinda reminds me of Ill Bethisad, too.....what's up with North Columbia, though?

Last edited:
IC: Well, it was completely out of left field... though all I remember is my dad breaking a glass of beer on the floor in feeling of delight, scaring my cat to near death, and the meme circulating that referees "were bribed with fur coats". Yes, and Novgorod, Polotsk and even our backwater Mangazeya (though dull well paid cold backwater, oil and all this) had sleepless night.
And there was some weird rumor that some players of Norland team got death threats from hardcore fans, but I find it hard to believe. Especially given how Russia got their asses handed to them in those very semis.

OOC: You put it 2003 and I could not resist and make a joke about hockey Salt Lake City-2002. Great thing by the way, and something new for someone who got used to formal TLs.

Last edited:
OOC: Been watching this for a while. Seems interesting, and kinda reminds me of Ill Bethisad, too.....what's up with North Columbia, though?

Cheers,
As for Columbia, it's basicly a right-wing republic/dictatorship that's very, very proud of being an ex-Saxon colony and takes it's "racial purity" very seriously, though it's origins will be revealed more as time goes on...

Also, thank you Valena and FleetMac! :)

By the way, it would be pretty interesting, if name Colombia TTL has nothing to do with Christopher Columbus, but with "colomba" - Passenger pigeons, anyone? Colombia = "land of doves". If dove=peace imagery is still valid that TL, the name will be pretty ironic:)

Well, that sucks to hear about Columbia. What about Setterland (sounds like a fairly Germanic name, despite being mostly Bryton), Helluland and/or West Indies? I imagine one of them (if not the last two) aren't even Islander in background.

:D

Yeah no my real life French is that bad, I've always been bad at it. I'll make that correction though, thanks for pointing that out.

Update in a couple hours BTW.

Whoops, I should have corrected the full sentence. The correct form is "l'université de la Nouvelle-Rome". But now you're only one letter off the mark :)

Feel free to ask for help in any future translations, should you need them (I do not, however, promise to be very quick to answer...).

OOC: Love the concept, love the execution, subscribed.

Psst. Mind if I swipe the format idea for something of my own? ;)

Glad you like it! :D

And sure, feel free to run a similar kinda thing or do whatever you like with the concept, also if anyone else wants to, feel free!

Remembrance Day
09/04/08 CE

(Hey guys, its A.C. Just a forewarning, I got a bit heated with the whole Columbia thing and about Bryan so this is a bit rant-y looking back but... I stand by what I said.)

Well, for those of you unaware, today is Remembrance Day in the Isles, The Colonial League and most of the Northern[1] World. Today we remember those who fell in the 3 Conflicts; The Great War, The Bitter War and The Endwar. Fifty Years ago, today, the governments in Paris, Cuzco and Rome announced their official surrenders, whilst North Columbia agreed to an "indefinite ceasefire". It was an absolutely brutal time, the chaos of the last century, hell, certain places are still recovering! If anyone has the opportunity to visit the city of Byzantium, do it, it’s expensive and obviously you need to wear a hazmat suit, even now, but any visit to the DMZ is worth it, just to see how hideous what happened there was. Over 66 million casualties in the Endwar alone, can you even really consider that? It's goddamn insane, which is what makes is so strange to think how many of you don't know about it. To my comrades in Setterland and Juriland, you guys should know this shit, you guys should've donated by now, if you haven't yet, stop fucking reading this stupid blog, you can make a goddamn difference. Everywhere else in the League too, Indochina, Aotearoa, the Pacific Federation, c'mon, it's your history. Same goes to those of you in Nordica and Germania too, it was your war as well!

Most of the Islanders reading probably already have but I’d like to suggest that everyone buy a Veterans Trust Peace Pin; All the proceeds go to helping the veterans and families of veterans from the Hindustani Conflict and the Pacific War. My Brother’s serving in the Fourth Imperial Rifles, out in Sawaiki[2], attempting to quell the insurgents there. Last year he took a shot straight through his ribs, punctured a lung, we didn't think he'd make it but through the incredible work and support of Veterans Trust and, of course, the Imperial Army, he was back on his feet in weeks. You know what he did hen he got better? He reenlisted. Bryan is a crazy son of a bitch (Sorry Mum) but he's a brave one and he's out there, fighting off the Supremicist's and keeping the Empire and it's allies safe. Any donations anyone can make just makes such a huge difference. To have someone serving out there is just… awful, but you can help. Donate to Veteran's Trust today, if you can.

sBCLYkX.png

I'm feeling Patriotic today. Long the Live the Emperor and Long Last the Empire!

Goddamn Columbia, the nation that started that War,it's still goddamn there, same people in charge, oh sure they swapped out High Premier Roose for goddamn "President" Wyman but you know it's the same regime, the goddamn Supremacists and the goddamn Churches. Fuck. How did Wyman "commemorate" today? He sent half the fucking Columbian army marching through the streets of fucking Potomac City and gave praise to the wisdom of the Late High Consul and the integrity of the party and it's beliefs. Get this; he promised to; "Finish the work that his great predecessor had begun!" and "Bring justice to those who would betray their race and people!". His predecessor, Roose, the guy responsible for the deaths of Over 100 million people, the man the started the Endwar, Butchered his people and ours and the man that dropped the bomb on Kobenhavn. How do we let that go unopposed? How do we let our leaders just sit there and do nothing? We need people who can step up to those racist, homicidal, goddamn mother-fucking-genocidal maniacs!

how_joe_lieberman_is_exactly_like_a_chinese_dictator.jpg

"President" Wyman making his speech

Sorry guys, I know I'm really living up to my name right now but sometimes we really need to take a stand, this is then, for my brother and the rest of the Fourth Imperial, the rest of the soldiers in the P.D.T.[3] and those whose lives have been ruined by tossers like Wyman. It's not like the Emperor's going to stand up for them, nor the Consul neither! I don't want to sound like a nutter and you know I don't like getting political, I wish the government would do something about it is all. I know today's post wasn't super long, but I need to calm down a little. Lugus [4], maybe I should be the one making the decisions, I'd go further than goddamn Consul Cwyrt, that'd be sure.

----------------------------------------
Ok, stuff just got real dark, real quick but under the veil of comedy this TL is gonna be quite a dark one. Most posts will be more like my previous but every now and then, you'll get one of these. Also apologies to Joe Lieberman for being the face of President Wyman, I have no idea whoo you are but you look like a good dictator. I've also decided to start using annotations, because it keeps things easier and cleaner and means I don't have to squeeze in as much force exposition.

Things might get a wee bit shorter and less frequent in the next week or three because, well, exams. :/

[1]The Colonial League and Northern World are equivalent to the Commonwealth and Western World respectively
[2]Hawaii
[3] The Pacific Defence Treaty, think NATO
[4] Celtic God of Creation and Learning, a common expletive ie. "Christ"

Last edited:
I've seen so many NationStates "royal wedding" threads that appropriate random photos from the Internet and stick them on random fictional monarchs that it surprised me that you acknowledged your source for Wyman!

Nice TL, by the way. I wonder how much of Angry Celt we should take at face value, and how much could be political propaganda? :)