An Unexpected Prince

scotland entering willingly into the union is quite a big change and one that is beneficial to britain(or albion)
wonder what the flag will be

wonder what the flag will be
Depends how Ireland gets represented. Certainly won't be the red saltire on white.
Scotland is still using celeste blue so entirely possible we get two clearly different blues on the union flag.
I have a few ideas...
Perhaps a separate thread to display so as not to clutter this one?

VVD0D95

Banned
Depends how Ireland gets represented. Certainly won't be the red saltire on white.
Scotland is still using celeste blue so entirely possible we get two clearly different blues on the union flag.
I have a few ideas...
Perhaps a separate thread to display so as not to clutter this one?

I'd definitely be happy with that :)

Horray! Time for a properly United Kingdom! Marriages all round!

If both Louis die (one on field, one in bed) then would France’s armies fall apart?

VVD0D95

Banned
Horray! Time for a properly United Kingdom! Marriages all round!

If both Louis die (one on field, one in bed) then would France’s armies fall apart?

I don't think so, they'd likely retreat and then whoever was Louis' number 2 in this case Vendome would get a bollocking for letting the Dauphin die.

Chapter 106: Devonshire

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 106: Devonshire

November, 1711

William Cavendish, 5th Earl of Devonshire smiled at the serving girl who put the cups of wine before him and his guest, and then dismissed her with a wave of his hand. He took his cup and raised it. “To the Earl of Marlborough to celebrate his great victory against the French.”

“Hear, hear.” The lady said, they clinked their glasses together and then took a sip of wine.

William tasted the bitter wine, and then put it down on the table and said. “You must be happy with how much your husband is being feted, my lady. I have heard the King intends to raise him to a Dukedom.”

Sarah Churchill, Countess of Marlborough merely smiled. “I believe the King is waiting to see what else happens. John has managed one victory, and that only because the Prince of Orange was ill.”

“Still,” William replied. “It is an impressive feat and one that has humiliated the Dauphin.”

“This is very true.” The Countess acknowledged. “But enough of the war, how are you doing, William? It has been quite some time since you were in London. You were missed at the last grand ball the King held.”

William nodded, he had not deigned to attend knowing that his family were still seen as tainted due to his father’s ill-judged actions. He had worked hard to show his loyalty to the Crown though, since assuming control of the estates. Sending six Tory MPs from Derbyshire and the surrounding lands, and ensuring that none of the Whig filth was printed in Derby itself. “I did not think it appropriate to attend, with my wife so recently having recovered from an illness.”

“Quite.” The Countess replied. “How is Lady Rachel faring?”

“Well enough, thank you.” William said, his suspicions were growing now, the Churchills had never cared for his wife before, indeed they had done a lot to sully his wife’s family’s name with first the Princess Regent and then the King.

“And the children?” Lady Marlborough asked.

“They are well, thank you. William has developed a fascination with regalia.” William said, smiling at the memory of how excited his son had been when his brother James had sent through some books with sigils of houses from Europe.

“Ah, excellent.” Lady Marlborough replied. “I can ask John junior if he would be able to send some books from Brussels when he gets the chance, if you would like?”

“That would-be kind of you, thank you.” William replied. His suspicions truly heightened now.

The Countess nodded and then a silence fell over them for a time, neither of them said anything though William knew that the Countess was plotting something. He’d heard from friends at court that the King regarded the Countess as a corrupting influence on his sister, and that he’d prevented her from attending most events, unless he needed something from her husband or son, at which point she was allowed to attend. And he had also heard that the Duke of Cumberland had broken off all contact with his mother as well. He wondered just what the Countess could want, but felt that he could wait to see if she would speak first.

Almost on cue, the woman did speak. “My lord, I know that this might seem like a rude request of me, but I have a feeling that your family and mine should be allies.”

William feigned confusion, though he knew exactly what she was talking about. “Allies? My lady, is there some war going on within the Kingdom that I am not aware of?”

The Countess did not seem impressed. “Come now, my lord, we both know what I refer to. Your interests and our interests are aligned.”

“Are they?” William replied.

“Yes. We both know that some of the influences around the King are not good for the safety of established interests. Derwentwater and Harley are new men who have risen far above their stations, and thus must be dealt with.” The Countess said.

William was intrigued by this, he had met Derwentwater once, the young man had shown some smarts and was intelligent, much more so than many people were at his age. Harley, William did not know. “What do you propose?”

“That you return to Cavendish House and meet with your allies in the Lords and the Commons. Get your MPs to frustrate various measures that Harley tries to propose. Make it seem as though Harley has lost his touch.” The Countess said.

“I control ten MPs, my lady, not fifty. I will need some help in that regard.” William said.

“Then you will get it. I know that Francis Godolphin is with us, as is the Duke of St Albans and the Duke of Grafton also.” The Countess said.

William highly doubted that the King’s cousins were against him, but he let the woman before him think that. “Very well, and what of Derwentwater how will you bring him down?”

The Countess smiled. “Derwentwater is young and he has a fondness for various things shall we say. Bringing him down will not be hard, but bringing down Harley is what you should concentrate on.”

William nodded and then asked. “And what is in it for me?”

The Countess smiled again, a dangerous smile, and in that moment William could understand how a man like Churchill had fallen for her. She was positively dangerous, and alluring at the same time. William waited for her to respond and she did so, her response did not disappoint. “A place on the privy council and one of the main offices of state. The King will need someone with clout and power to replace Derwentwater when he falls.”

William raised an eyebrow, though he was truly intrigued by this offer. “And you think he will turn to me?”

“Yes.” The Countess said.

“Why?” William asked.

“Because it would suit his sense of irony. Your father was his greatest enemy, and now you are to be his greatest ally. And in that position, you can bring about the reforms this Kingdom needs.” The Countess said.

William had to admit, it was an appealing offer, a chance to come out of the wilderness and restore his family to its rightful place in the centre of politics. He didn’t trust the Countess, but she didn’t need to know that. He looked at the woman and said. “Very well, I agree to this alliance.”

“Excellent.” The woman got up then and said. “Now I must depart; it is a long way to the Godolphin residence.”

“Indeed.” William said. He walked with the woman to the entrance of the house and watched as she got into a carriage and departed, but the moment she was gone, he turned to his footman and said. “You got all of that I trust?”

“Yes, my lord.” the footman said.

“Good.” William replied, he turned and walked back inside. He had a lot of letters to write.

Ah... the games of the Highborn.

Is 1711 too early for the first signs of the industrial revolution to start appearing?
Industrial revolution is normally judged to start around 1760. However Newcomen and his steam engine is 1712 and you can argue that the canal age which started at the beginning of the 18th Century was the onset of industrialization ( by moving goods to where needed rather than where the river went and so enabling the use of initially water powered factories rather than workshops).

Ah... the games of the Highborn.

Is 1711 too early for the first signs of the industrial revolution to start appearing?
One would assume that the British IR is going to be dampened a bit by the major butterfly of the Dutch not invading and thus modernizing the financial system, which is a part of requirements of an IR.

Not too bad, got a few choices before me, just need to make a final decision :)

Perfectly fine flag just here:

255px-Flag_of_Great_Britain_%281707%E2%80%931800%29.svg.png