An Unexpected Prince

Could James introduce a British version of Diocletian's Tetrarchy? Except in this situation you would have Kings of England, Ireland and Scotland and the Prince of Wales subservient to an Emperor of the Isles. England and Wales are handled by tradition (heir to the throne of England is Prince of Wales) but it wouldn't be out of the question for the Emperor to appoint one of his family as King of Scotland (or Ireland) - a bit like the HRE appoints the King of Romans.

Could James introduce a British version of Diocletian's Tetrarchy? Except in this situation you would have Kings of England, Ireland and Scotland and the Prince of Wales subservient to an Emperor of the Isles. England and Wales are handled by tradition (heir to the throne of England is Prince of Wales) but it wouldn't be out of the question for the Emperor to appoint one of his family as King of Scotland (or Ireland) - a bit like the HRE appoints the King of Romans.
He could but isn't his point to solidify power in the monarchy not spread it about?

He could but isn't his point to solidify power in the monarchy not spread it about?
True but what is an Emperor if he doesn't have a few kings as vassals. When they are his own family even better. When he can appoint and remove at will even better.

It's not what you do it's how you do it!

True but what is an Emperor if he doesn't have a few kings as vassals. When they are his own family even better. When he can appoint and remove at will even better.

It's not what you do it's how you do it!
Think you are confused and think ck2 represents history
Also:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_governor_of_Ireland
James needs to centralize the kingdoms not decentralize them
In the holy roman empire the only kingdom was the crown of bohemia though prussia circumvented this by calling themselves king in prussia there is no reason to think that an emperor (or high king)needs vassal kings to be one.
Furthermore thats what governors and viceroys are for

Last edited:
Not for another twenty years it hasn’t
Maybe not, but @Ogrebear is right. Chester has been an important city throughout English history since Roman times. If you are going to move the capital, which I don't know if they would - the Stuarts never did historically - it would make sense to pick it as a new capital, although York might actually be an even better bet, if you ask me....

VVD0D95

Banned
Maybe not, but @Ogrebear is right. Chester has been an important city throughout English history since Roman times. If you are going to move the capital, which I don't know if they would - the Stuarts never did historically - it would make sense to pick it as a new capital, although York might actually be an even better bet, if you ask me....
This is very true

Well, if we're going to assume a new capital and growth similar to OTL then a coastal or large river location that's close to all the regions and local resources would do. Strength/inertia of politics would imply being in England. So Merseyside to Cumbria in the west, Hull, Humber, Tyneside in the east. The west adds in easier access to Ireland and the Americas hence I'd place mine there. Near Chester just seems logical.

I'll add that a lot will depend on James's reign.
I suspect he'll unify government. This will create an impetus to unify the parliaments.
If he doesn't unify them himself it may be after his death (as a result of death or honour by his heir?) which is when talk of where to hold them will occur. Initially at least it will probably be where the English meet - was Whitehall burnt and rebuilt in this timeline? - before a brand new location starts. This affects location as I think a later point in 1700s would help move elsewhere.
How the Parliaments are unified is also important. Straight completely unified? Completely new parliament with the others continuing as nerfed locals (ie federalism)? Or something in between such as Grand Regional Committees, or versions of English Votes for English Laws for all the Kingdoms/realms/regions?
This will also impact the colonies.

VVD0D95

Banned
I'll add that a lot will depend on James's reign.
I suspect he'll unify government. This will create an impetus to unify the parliaments.
If he doesn't unify them himself it may be after his death (as a result of death or honour by his heir?) which is when talk of where to hold them will occur. Initially at least it will probably be where the English meet - was Whitehall burnt and rebuilt in this timeline? - before a brand new location starts. This affects location as I think a later point in 1700s would help move elsewhere.
How the Parliaments are unified is also important. Straight completely unified? Completely new parliament with the others continuing as nerfed locals (ie federalism)? Or something in between such as Grand Regional Committees, or versions of English Votes for English Laws for all the Kingdoms/realms/regions?
This will also impact the colonies.

Very true. I would say that Whitehall still stands

Whitehall still stands :)

If there is a need for a central capital, why not go bonkers and buy Mann? It would be in between both islands and all kingdoms (although the building of an entirely new capital would be mind-boggingly expensive)

Chapter 86: War Council

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 86: War Council

October, 1706

“The Landgrave of Hesse Kassel has written requesting reassurances that Your Most Christian Majesty will commit forces should the Emperor step beyond the agreed upon border.” Louis, Dauphin of France said.

His father looked at him and then at Chamillart, the Minister for The Armed Forces who said. “We have the men prepared and ready. Indeed, there are two brigades heading off to the Rhine as we speak.”

“Who commands them?” Louis asked. He’d not heard about this, and it was slightly disconcerting.

“Bezons and Mazza, Your Royal Highness.” Chamillart responded.

“I see.” Louis responded. He looked at his father once more, the man had thanks to Queen Marie, reluctantly allowed Louis to join the Conseil, and take an active part in its administration. But, Louis still held the feeling that his father never really spoke to him of the most important matters. “And what of the League itself? Have any of the members committed to armed action?”

“Trier has said he is willing to engage. But only if he gets support from us and from Hesse Kassel. Kassel has said he won’t commit unless there is a direct sign of provocation from the Emperor.” Chamillart responded.

“And the Emperor is far too clever to directly engage in such tactics.” Louis said. “We will need to think of a way to get things going. Has there been any movement from any of the other Princes of the Empire?”

Colbert, the man who Louis’ father assigned a great deal of responsibility despite his lack of ability spoke then. “Brandenburg has shown an interest, but they are reluctant to do anything that might allow the Swedish to enter into the field. Palatine is aligned with the Emperor, as are Hanover and Brunswick. Württemberg might be swayed, but they would require something serious.”

Louis looked at his father again, wondering why the man never spoke during these meetings. “We must then decide whether we want to actively engage in a war or merely give the indication that we are prepared to do so.”

“We have mobilised two brigades, Your Royal Highness. Whether we want to or not, the wheels have already begun turning.” Chamillart responded.

“The wheels might have begun turning, but there is nothing set in stone. We have issued no declaration; we have given no cause for alarm. As far as the Emperor is concerned, these Princes are merely seeking a defensive alliance.” Louis pointed out.

“So, what do you suggest then, Your Royal Highness?” Colbert asked. “We have mobilised brigades, we have promised commitment, and the Emperor continues to violate the terms of Westphalia, so, what next?”

Louis was about to respond when there was a knock on the door. The King called for the person to enter, and when he did, the doors opened and in walked a rather bedraggled looking messenger. His clothes slightly torn and his hair wild. “Your Most Christian Majesty,” the man said throwing himself down before the King. “I bring word from the Empire.”

“What word?” The King asked, speaking for the first time.

“The Elector Palatine is preparing an assault on the Landgrave of Hesse Kassel, with the blessing of the Emperor.” The messenger said.

“Why?” Louis asked. “That is sheer madness.”

The messenger didn’t respond, he merely handed a letter to the King who opened it and read through it. The King then put the letter on the table and said. “We will need to send more men to the Rhine. We are at war.”

If Louis XV is smart enough to ignore the lucrative Spanish Netherlands, perhaps.
It is france ,of course they are going to jump on them like a starving wolf
And james will join to stop them(or will he?)thougth I can see louis not invading them as to not bring England into the war
Anyway how did the darien colony go ?

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
It is france ,of course they are going to jump on them like a starving wolf
And james will join to stop them(or will he?)thougth I can see louis not invasing them as to not bring England into the war
Anyway how did the darien colony go ?
You’re going to have to wait and see

Chapter 87: A Peace Discussion

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 87: A Peace Discussion

December, 1706

“Word has come from the Elector Palatine, Sire.” Leopold Auersperg, his foreign minister said. “It seems that a small battle took place at the border between the domains of the Elector and the Landgrave of Hesse Cassel. The Elector won and forced the Landgrave to flee the field. However, per your orders he did not pursue.”

“Excellent.” Joseph replied. “The Landgrave will now no doubt be writing to Versailles demanding aid.”

“Indeed, Sire.” Leopold replied. “And I do not think that aid will be forthcoming. The King of France has only allowed a further two brigades to join those that were stationed in French territory on the Rhine. Completely contradicting the order of war, he issued.”

Joseph frowned at that. “How interesting, why might he be doing that?”

Eugen Franz, Prince of Thurn and Taxis and Postmaster General spoke then. “Because he does not want a long war, Sire. I think that the King of France is far more interested in taking the Spanish Netherlands than anything else. Notice how his commitment to the League of the Rhine has fluctuated depending on the manoeuvres of the Dutch and the English. I think we have a chance here.”

Joseph looked at the man and then asked. “You are referring to the offer he has sent?”

“I am, Sire.” Eugen replied. “I think it is a sensible offer, and makes far more sense than giving Archduke Karl the prize.”

Joseph took a breath, then said. “It does make sense. A marriage between our son Leopold Joseph and the King’s daughter, a large dowry and then the ability to clear up the mess his league has made. However, we still have reservations. This is France we are speaking about. How do we know that this King Louis is not like the old King Louis?”

“For one thing it seems his wife is the one who is shepherding him toward this policy, Sire.” Eugen said. “The Queen of France has been seen meeting with the Spanish Ambassador and with various other members of the King’s inner circle, and policy seems to have been shaped that way. Plus, there is the letter we were able to get from the Landgrave himself, which suggests he is fully aware of this.”

“But then, if the Landgrave is aware of this, why would he join the League?” Rudolf Waldburg asked.

“A chance to show that he has some power.” Joseph answered. “He wants to compete with his cousin and with the Elector Palatine. This was his chance to show that he could. But of course, he has ruined that chance.”

“So, then, the choice is clear is it not?” Leopold asked. “Either we accept this offer of peace and the marriage, or we continue fighting a war that neither side actually wants.”

“I would recommend going for peace, Sire.” Eugen said. “We know that the League doesn’t have the capability to fight without France, and we know that France doesn’t want to extend its border beyond what it is now, at least on the Rhine.”

“And if the French invade the Spanish Netherlands?” Joseph asked. “What then?”

“Then that would be a problem for the Dutch and the English, and no concern of ours, Sire.” Eugen said. “They did not aid us the last time we fought the French.”

Joseph thought on this for a moment. If he agreed, the French would pull out of the League, leaving its members helpless, and thus he could use their attempt to rebel as a reason to crack down on them, whilst at the same time pointing out France’s treachery to lure them back into the fold. Either way he had an option to increase Imperial power. He would be a fool not to take it. He took a breath and then said. “Send word to the French ambassador, we shall accept his King’s proposal.”