An Unexpected Prince

VVD0D95

Banned
For britain or in general?
Both.
Well, he's specifically maintaining certain posts but communicating them with each other. If that makes sense. Appears to me like a single Government in the making, though a single Parliament is not yet evident.

Unless TTL Albion has been extended in usage for the Isles as a whole, however much King of the British Isles appeals to me as a title.
And tbis is very true. Could he name himself an emperor?

And tbis is very true. Could he name himself an emperor?
Difficult, though not impossible, due to lack of precedent.
In western European tradition an Emperor was Emperor of Rome. While certain nonEuropean titles became translated as Emperor they had nonEuropean connotations.
Even the Russian Emperor was recognised as either a Roman title or an Asian one.
By the end of the 1700s though things were normalised that Napoleon used it without respect to Rome and George III or IV considered it but Napoleon put him off (hence Emperor of India instead).
Then there's the Catholic backlash to consider if the Roman title is misappropriated.
TTL Protestant James III/III/VIII of England/Ireland/Scotland might have to settle for (Union) King of Albion/the British Isles and wait for a descendant to be able to claim Imperialcy.

Could use https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretwalda
Also edgar the peaceful(959-975) called himself totius Albionis Basileus(basileus/autokrator was the title used by the roman empire for emperor)
England/Ireland/Scotland might have to settle for (Union) King of Albion/the British Isles and wait for a descendant to be able to claim Imperialcy

Last edited:
Could use https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretwalda
Also edgar the peaceful(959-975) called himself totius Albionis Basileus(basileus/autokrator was the title used by the roman empire for emperor)
Bretwalda is kinda out of date by 1700. And the East Romans tended to use phrases that included Basileus like "Basileus and Autokrator" rather than being synonymous. Autokrator being a more important title, much like Imperator being more than Caesar.

Bretwalda is kinda out of date by 1700. And the East Romans tended to use phrases that included Basileus like "Basileus and Autokrator" rather than being synonymous. Autokrator being a more important title, much like Imperator being more than Caesar.
Really,Call me shocked from what I have read they use basileus and autokrator to imply the same thing ,but I read in greek so it might be translation.
Will have to check it out
What would be a valid title then?other than king of albion(if there are any)

Really,Call me shocked from what I have read they use basileus,but I read in greek so it might be translation.
Will have to check it out
What would be a valid title then?other than king of albion(if there are any)
Oh I'm not denying Basileus had some imperial connection but it wasn't the exclusive one we need. Where it's not used for Rhoman Emperors it's used as a translation of king (see the Bible).
Perhaps High King could be used? Hearkens back to those of Ireland and Scotland, and some stories of Arthur.

Edit:
So it starts out as "By the Grace of God, High King of the British Isles, King of England, Scotland, France, and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, etc"? Then a later one can change it to "By the Grace of God, Emperor of the British Isles and Territories, Defender of the Faith, etc"

Last edited:
I like this King James.

Question is would the Capital of the Three/Four Nations be in London or somewhere more Central like Shrewsbury?

VVD0D95

Banned
Oh I'm not denying Basileus had some imperial connection but it wasn't the exclusive one we need. Where it's not used for Rhoman Emperors it's used as a translation of king (see the Bible).
Perhaps High King could be used? Hearkens back to those of Ireland and Scotland, and some stories of Arthur.

Edit:
So it starts out as "By the Grace of God, High King of the British Isles, King of England, Scotland, France, and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, etc"? Then a later one can change it to "By the Grace of God, Emperor of the British Isles and Territories, Defender of the Faith, etc"
I like

I like this King James.

Question is would the Capital of the Three/Four Nations be in London or somewhere more Central like Shrewsbury?
London initially but later Merseyside? Near to Chester and an important port for Ireland and the Americas without being outside England.

King of england and scotland are redundant since they will merge to become albion

Edit:perhaps leeds or york?also is there even a need to change capitals

Last edited:
King of england and scotland are redundant since they will merge to become albion

Edit:perhaps leeds or york?also is there even a need to change capitals

London is a very, very long way from the rest of the UK- a more central Capital makes it more Unified. Also further inland from uppity European types which is a good thing.

London is a very, very long way from the rest of the UK- a more central Capital makes it more Unified. Also further inland from uppity European types which is a good thing.
If a new capital was needed , perhaps to signify a new kingdom and not the dominance of England, then it almost certainly would be somewhere like, daft as it sounds , Liverpool. It would be a port city on the Irish Sea with equal access to all three nations. Some historians think the Romans , when they were still expanding and thinking of conquering Ireland , toyed with Chester as a capital for the British Isles for similar reasons.

If a new capital was needed , perhaps to signify a new kingdom and not the dominance of England, then it almost certainly would be somewhere like, daft as it sounds , Liverpool. It would be a port city on the Irish Sea with equal access to all three nations. Some historians think the Romans , when they were still expanding and thinking of conquering Ireland , toyed with Chester as a capital for the British Isles for similar reasons.

Chester does have far more historical gravitas than Liverpool though- major Castle, Cathedral, Roman connections, port, etc.

In contrast Liverpool has just demolished it's Castle.