An Unexpected Prince

Abandoning your old allies for your historical enemies is NEVER a good idea...
And being on the French side against the English also is NOT a great thing to do...
That is true france is first a continental power and second a naval one,given the development of their american colonies,they had what?500-700 thousand population in their american colonies compared to the British/Albionese that had millions.Thought I have to say that their fleet was only second to the British fleet and was substantial,but given their continental status they had two areas to focus on while the British had one(that led to the weakness of the British army but it was expected)
Given the nature of the spanish empire it is not wise to antagonise albion and I have to say that while they lost the spanish Netherlands it is a good thing since they will not be embroiled in continental wars(now they can focus on fortalenza espana,reforms and colonial affairs,but given the power of spain they will likely get involved in whatever shenanigans france does)

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
That is true france is first a continental power and second a naval one,given the development of their american colonies,they had what?500-700 thousand population in their american colonies compared to the British/Albionese that had millions.Thought I have to say that their fleet was only second to the British fleet and was substantial,but given their continental status they had two areas to focus on while the British had one(that led to the weakness of the British army but it was expected)
Given the nature of the spanish empire it is not wise to antagonise albion and I have to say that while they lost the spanish Netherlands it is a good thing since they will not be embroiled in continental wars(now they can focus on fortalenza espana,reforms and colonial affairs,but given the power of spain they will likely get involved in whatever shenanigans france does)
For now, yes.

Chapter 143: Worksmith

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 143: Worksmith

March, 1722

“Brother.” Marie Louise said, nodding as her brother entered the room and bowed before her.

“Your Majesty.” Philippe, Duke of Orleans said.

“Have a seat.” Marie Louise replied. She watched as her brother did as bid. Once he was seated, she said. “I have to congratulate you, brother.”

“Your Majesty?” Philippe replied sounding unsure of himself.

“You have managed to expand the wealth of the family without resorting to aggravating relations with the King. That is very impressive.” Marie Louise said, referring to the fact that her brother had recently acquired the wealth of a deceased Noble family through a complex legal agreement. That agreement had ensured the House of Orleans was now the richest family in France behind the Royal Family, by some distance.

Her brother shifted. “The King does not begrudge me the wealth that I accrue. Especially as my sons are helping to command his armies.”

“Indeed, another thing that is deserving of praise.” Marie Louise said. “Your eldest son, the Duke of Chartres is leading the assault on Brussels is he not?”

“He is yes.” Her brother replied, a hint of pride colouring his tone. “The King has said that it was my son’s plan which got the nod from him. Brussels will fall due to the plans that my son put in place.”

Marie Louise doubted that, but she would not disabuse her brother of that notion. “Well isn’t that something. Though I must ask, what do you plan on doing once the war is over?”

Her brother looked slightly taken aback by that and asked. “What do you mean?”

“Well, the war will not last forever, no Kingdom can afford that. So, when it is over, what will you do? Will you look for your sons to assume positions at court or?” Marie Louise asked.

“Well, Your Majesty, Chartres is married to your daughter, who happens to be a sister of the King, so a place at court is natural for him. As for my second son, that is of a more difficult nature. I will need to consider seeing if there is a wealthy heiress for him to marry.” Her brother said.

“You would also be sensible to consider recommending him as an ambassador to one of the courts of Europe.” Marie Louise said.

“Why?” Her brother asked.

“It would help ensure that our influence is not diminished as the King’s own children grow older and wiser. Furthermore, there is always a chance that he could meet and marry a wealthy heiress in say Spain or the Empire.” Marie Louis said.

Her brother snorted. “Perhaps yes that might be the best course of action.”

Marie Louise smiled. “You know it is.” A pause then she asked. “So, how is your wife doing?” Her brother’s wife was the sister to the King of Poland and the King of Spain, and had shown signs of being politically smart but also naïve at the same time, it was a confusing thing for Marie Louise.

“She is well enough. Happy that we are not fighting her brother anymore.” Her brother said.

“Good, as it should be.” Marie Louise replied.

House of Orleans

VVD0D95

Banned
House of Orleans.jpg

Lots of poltical manourvouring by Marie Louise there- Philippe might want to consider a Ambassadorship in Albion as well.

If Philippe Jean is politically savy to any degree, the good match for him may be Catalina Ventura Colón de Portugal y Ayala-Toledo, 9th Duchess of Veragua (14 July 1690 – 3 October 1739).

OTL 2nd Duchess of Berwick, but such a match is not possible in OTL. OTOH the Duchess of Orleans is likely corresponding with her brother.
Yes, Catalina is 7 years older than the Duke, but it's odd the match has not been considered at all so far (though maybe TTL first husband of Catalina lived a little bit longer).

VVD0D95

Banned
If Philippe Jean is politically savy to any degree, the good match for him may be Catalina Ventura Colón de Portugal y Ayala-Toledo, 9th Duchess of Veragua (14 July 1690 – 3 October 1739).

OTL 2nd Duchess of Berwick, but such a match is not possible in OTL. OTOH the Duchess of Orleans is likely corresponding with her brother.
Yes, Catalina is 7 years older than the Duke, but it's odd the match has not been considered at all so far (though maybe TTL first husband of Catalina lived a little bit longer).
Oooh now that is interesting I’ll definitely keep that in mind

Oooh now that is interesting I’ll definitely keep that in mind
This would give you a French Bourbon with an absurd number of Spanish peerages. Though not OTL Berwick degree absurd, as say heir to the Dukedom of Alba would likely marry differently TTL.

Last edited:
Chapter 144: Churchill's Extravaganza

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 144: Churchill’s Extravaganza

July, 1722

“It’s absolutely bloody hot.” John said, which drew a laugh from his fellow officers. “No wonder the Spanish have declined as a power, they can’t bloody do anything in this heat.” Another laugh, then he got serious. “Still, we’ve achieved what we set out to. The Spanish are now chasing us like the dog chasing its tail. We need to ensure they do not catch us.” With that he looked at Colonel Conway who spoke.

“Reports coming in from our men near the sea report that the Spanish are concentrating their fleet on the western seaboard toward the colonies. It seems their Queen is more concerned with protecting gold fleets than anything else. Naturally this has given His Majesty the chance to send ships close to the northern seaboard.”

“How long do you think they will be in the area for?” John asked, hoping his friend hadn’t timed it wrong.

“I would say roughly three more weeks. Then they will either be engaged by the French or diverted to the west.” Conway said.

“Very well, and where are the Spanish forces now?” John asked.

Colonel O’Hara spoke then. “Near Lugo, our scouts report that they arrived a few days after we had departed. The Spanish King is spending time in the town trying to bring it together.”

John nodded, he hadn’t liked having to burn and sack Lugo but it had been necessary. They needed to delay the Spanish for as long as possible and that had seemed like the best idea at the time. “Very well, so they are perhaps a week away from our position now.”

“Yes, it would seem so, General.” O’Hara said.

John looked at the map spread out before them and said. “We need to get to O Vicedo before the month is out. Once we get there we can send messengers to our friends further north and then get the transport we need to go back home.”

“We can get to O Vicedo in a few days if we continue at our current pace, General.” O’Hara said.

“Then that is what we will do.” John replied.

“I shall give the order immediately, Sir.” O’Hara replied moving to get up, but before he did, John said.

“Before you go Colonel, you should both know that once we return to Albion we may be asked to redeploy somewhere else.”

“Where?” O’Hara asked.

“Could be Southern Spain, could be France.” John said. “All I know is that His Majesty has been very impressed with the work we’ve done here.” O’Hara smiled and then nodded and walked off.

Chapter 145: Danish Delight

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 145: Danish Delight

December, 1722

“Holstein-Gottorp remains an issue.” Frederick said putting the letter he’d received from General Bernstorff down. “Their Duke remains stubborn and defiant and we are bleeding men.” He looked around the room. “Any solutions, gentlemen?”

Count Dyre spoke then. “I think that perhaps a feigned retreat would work, Sire. We know the Duke of Holstein-Gottorp is more ambitious than sensible. He would no doubt consider chasing after us, if we lead him toward the border, he would have to fight on our ground.”

“Which could then enable us to ground him down completely.” Frederick said. “We like the thought of that.”

Dyre smiled, but Count Kaas spoke then. “Such a move would be incredibly risky though, Sire.”

Frederick looked at the man and asked. “How so?”

Kaas shifted and replied. “Well, for that we would need to show that we were genuinely fleeing and General Bernstorff is not known for being a man who would flee from battle. That would potentially raise the suspicions of the Duke of Holstein-Gottorp and could mean he remains where he is.”

Frederick bit back a sharp retort, he knew Kaas was right. The Duke was not a complete idiot and Bernstorff for all his good qualities was not a man to back down from a fight. They would need to come up with a reason for Bernstorff to retreat that could still save his honour. That’s when the thought came to him. “Send word to the General that Swedish forces are approaching in great number, that those forces are great enough to overwhelm him and tell him that we wish for him to retreat to save the men.” He knew that would play on Bernstorff’s sense of honour and need to do his duty.

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Kaas said making a note of it.

“Speaking of which, what are the Swedish forces doing?” Frederick asked. He’d heard about their complete destruction of the Prussian forces near Stargard and how Charles of Sweden was slowly consolidating his hold over Prussian Pomerania, but actual details had been thin on the ground.

“King Charles of Sweden has consolidated his hold over Prussian Pomerania, most of the nobility within the place now recognise him as their leader and have pushed for the unification of Pomerania once more. The Elector of Brandenburg has retreated back to Berlin and is beginning to prepare for a new assault in the new year.” Count Dyre said.

Frederick sighed. “So, the great Elector’s grandson has run away scared from the fight of his life. What of the Elector of Hanover?”

“He has faced trouble from his eastern flank, Swedish forces in Bremen have routed the men he has sent to take the region.” Dyre said.

“Hanover has struggled with the bloody garrisons in Bremen?!” Frederick exclaimed. “We suppose then that the joint expedition with Albion is much needed.”

“Yes, Sire.” Dyre said.

“That should be ready to depart for Scania by March, Sire.” Kaas said. “General Orkney says that the men are well trained and prepared.”

Frederick nodded, he’d been unsure about this joint amphibious assault but reports from his son Crown Prince Christian had convinced him that it was the right thing to do. “Very well.” Another thought came to him then. “When this war ends we will need to ensure that our position within the region is consolidated. Either we must arrange a marriage between our son and the daughter of the Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, or we must arrange a marriage with the daughter of the King of Albion.”

“A sensible idea, Sire.” Kaas said.

“See to it that the proposals are created and ready to be put forward by the new year.” Frederick commanded.

Chapter 146: Conduct

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 146: Conduct

April, 1723

“The Earl of Derwentwater!” The Lord Chancellor cried.

James Radclyffe, Earl of Derwentwater and Secretary of State for the Southern Department got up. “My lords,” he began looking around the room. “as you know we have been at war for four years now, and during that I am pleased to say we have seen some tangible benefits.”

“In the New World we have captured Montreal from the French and expanded our possessions to include parts of Eastern New France. General Stair has done a magnificent job in defeating the French and I am sure we can all agree that he deserves the many rewards that His Majesty will give him.” There were murmurs of agreement at that.

“Closer to home, we have managed to beat the Spanish fleet not once but twice in the Atlantic Ocean and have consequently been able to capture the island of Mallorca from the Spanish.” That drew a loud cheer from the House. James waited for it to settle down before continuing.

“Thanks to Lord Churchill and his marines we were able to inflict considerable damage on Northern Spain before the marines were withdrawn. It gives me great pleasure to say that the Spanish are now considering seeking terms for a peace.” That saw a great many men shouting and cheering. James smiled, and continued.

“Finally, I am pleased to announce that a second marine brigade has been sent to Scania and successfully landed last month. Their progress is steady.” With that he sat down, the applause ringing in his ears.

“The Earl of Devonshire!” Came the cry from the Lord Chancellor.

The Earl of Devonshire had spent a great deal of time at his country estate since his father’s death, he’d made one appearance for the baptism of the Prince of Wales some years ago, but other than that had remained largely isolated. Now he was back and James wondered why.

The man rose, looked about the room then fixed his gaze squarely on James. “Thank you, my lord. Lord Derwentwater you have mentioned a list of victories that we have had, and that is commendable. But you have said nothing about the main reason why this Kingdom went to war. What is the situation in the former Spanish Netherlands?”

Devonshire sat down, James rose. “His Royal Highness the Duke of Cumberland has ensured that Brussels has held, and His Grace the Duke of Berwick has ensured that the French have been pushed back on the Western Brussels Line. Right now we are able to hold them.”

James sat down, and Devonshire rose again. “For how long though?” Devonshire sat down and James rose.

“I am not sure I understand the question.” James responded.

Devonshire rose. “It’s a simple one, we all know the power of the French army, their skill is evident, so how long can our forces hold the Brussels line?”

James saw what Devonshire was trying to get him to do. Get an admission that they couldn’t hold it for very long, then get the house up in arms about that admission and put forth a vote of confidence in him. James wasn’t going to give him that pleasure. With as straight a face as possible he said. “For as long as needs be.”

There were murmurs of approval from behind him, Devonshire seemed unperturbed though. “And what of the financial cost? The war has seen taxation tripled. How long can that last for?”

Again, James saw what Devonshire was trying to do and simply said. “For as long as possible. We can win this war, and we will.” He sat down, Devonshire didn’t rise, and for the moment James thought he’d achieved a victory.