An Unexpected Prince

perhaps offered to the titular duke of Lorraine?
Right, a bitter pill to swallow in exchange of the restitution of his Duchy and an insult for his Imperial uncle

Well, a Mazarinette was nearly forced on one back in 1659. The attempt can be repeated.
Very true. I imagine the titular duke is going to be I. Vienna for the time being at least until the next war
Then Louis XIV will try to do it... And yes, the Duke of Lorraine is most likely at his uncle’s court in Vienna

VVD0D95

Banned
Right, a bitter pill to swallow in exchange of the restitution of his Duchy and an insult for his Imperial uncle

Then Louis XIV will try to do it... And yes, the Duke of Lorraine is most likely at his uncle’s court in Vienna

agreed there would Louis offer the duchy back though having fought a war and demanded to keep
It?

Chapter 45: King of the Romans

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 45: King of the Romans

August, 1694

Joseph knew that he had been married off to his wife because of the affair he’d had with the wife of one of his father’s ministers. His father had lectured him quite considerably about that and the minister had been paid off to keep things quiet. Joseph understood why his father had done it, but he resented it all the same. It was a bit of fun and the woman was willing after all, she had come for him, not the other way around. Still, being married had its perks. His father had increased his allowance and there was talking of actually giving him the revenues due to him as King of Hungary. And his wife had an appealing manner so that wasn’t so bad. Still, he found the demands his father was placing on him somewhat concerning.

“The Emperor wants me to try and get my wife with child again.” He said then to his friends.

Leopold Auersperg his closest and oldest friend snorted. “So, soon after the pregnancy and birth of your son? Surely His Imperial Majesty knows the risks involved.”

“He does.” Joseph said, he’d been there when the doctors had explained it to him and his wife. “He doesn’t care he wants another grandson.”

“But why?” Clemens Schonburg asked. “Is he worried about something?”

Joseph looked at Clemens, the lad was a great soldier, slightly older than Joseph and old enough to have caught the end of the war with France. He had won himself the Emperor’s favour, but he wasn’t politically smart. “Yes, he’s worried about the family.” Joseph responded. And from one side he could understand the concern, there were only three male members of the family left after the Emperor, Joseph himself, his brother Karl and now his son Leopold Joseph. “He wants the security of more male heirs.”

“Even if it means potentially harming your wife?” Clemens asked shocked.

Joseph sighed. Clemens for all his bravery and skill as a soldier still reminded Joseph of a child. He was incredibly naïve in the ways of politics and diplomacy. “Yes, the more sons I have the less risk there is of our dynasty losing power.”

“Even with the Bavarians gone down to that Bishop?” Leopold asked, referencing Joseph Clemens the former Archbishop of Cologne who had since become Elector of Bavaria.

“Clemens has married my aunt Hedwig, and as such will have children soon enough. But there are others who are no doubt considering it.” Joseph said. What it was he did not know, but it was there, lurking in the shadows.

“So, what will you do?” Clemens asked then.

“I will do my duty for Emperor and Country.” Joseph quipped, which drew a laugh from his friends, they all knew there was no difference, the Emperor was the country. “Still, I do feel bad for Wilhemine, she has just recovered from the birth and now she is being told she must spread her legs once more.” He liked his wife, she was attractive in her own way, but she didn’t fill him with the same passion as some of his flings had.

“Well, she knew what she was getting herself in for when she agreed to marry you.” Leopold said matter of factly.

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean I can’t at least try and help her. I did promise to protect her after all.” Joseph replied. There was a brief moment of silence, and then he continued. “And if that means protecting her from my father’s schemes then so be it. He wants to marry my son or my brother off to Spain.” That was something Joseph could not understand, his father’s obsession with Spain seemed to be overruling anything else.

Rudolf Waldburg, another old friend of his, spoke then. “Surely it would be smarter to marry your brother to the Queen of Spain’s daughter. That way they can start making children as soon as the girl is of age, whereas with your own son, there would still need to be a wait.”

Joseph found the thought of his brother fucking anyone somewhat disgusting, after all Karl was only nine, he didn’t even know his cock was for anything other than pissing, yet. “I would rather my father did not wish to take Spain so badly. But then that would leave France as the only other option for my sister.”

“Better your brother or son than France.” Rudolf said.

“Especially as France has already taken Naples and Sicily.” Leopold pointed out.

“That is one of the reasons why I think we would be better not tying ourselves to Spain.” Joseph said. He’d seen how his father had agonised over his sister giving away Naples and Sicily to Louis of France, it had almost left him a wreck. Joseph had sworn never to allow such a thing to ever effect him such a manner. “Spain is a burden that we could do without. We could claim Naples and Sicily in a few years through conquest, or through marriage once Philipp of Anjou has a daughter, but Spain, that is an area I do not want to venture to again.”

“And if your father decides to marry your son to his granddaughter?” Rudolf asked.

“Then I will need to find a better candidate.” Joseph said simply, it was true, there were perhaps others who would do better for him and his ambitions.

“Well, perhaps we might have something to distract the Emperor soon enough.” Leopold said then.

Joseph raised an eyebrow at that. “What do you mean?”

“My sister sent a letter to our father a few days ago, it seems that some in Hungary are plotting a revolt against the Emperor. Koháry is listening to their pleas and sending all the information to Vienna.” Leopold said.

Joseph nodded, he’d forgotten that Leopold’s sister was married to the Count of Koháry, that could come in use when he became Emperor. “I see. Well that will surely be something to keep an eye on.”

“Indeed.” Leopold said. “Perhaps it will make the Emperor forget Spain.”

“Perhaps.” Joseph said, though he was not convinced, his father was obsessed.

Chapter 46: Another Dram

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 46: Another Dram

December, 1694

James Drummond, Earl of Perth looked at the man opposite him. Archibald Campbell was more wiry and thin than he had been the last time they had met. Clearly he was sticking true to his word not to eat more than a handful of food until his estates were restored. James had the writ from the Regency Council which would restore the estates to him and raise him up in the peerage, something he was not particularly happy about, but still, needs must. He cleared his throat.

“Lord Campbell, thank you for coming. We are here as I am sure you are aware to discuss the progress you have made.” James said.

Lord Campbell nodded a smile coming over his face. “Progress has been well, my lord. As you will know from my letters, the vast majority of people on the western coast including in Glasgow are now firmly pledged to the Stuart dynasty and to the idea of the King as a continuation of the struggle of the Bruce. People of shapes and sizes have written pledging their sword to the King, and promising to kill any Englishman that gives him trouble.”

James nodded, he’d received one particularly notable letter from Donald Macdonald from Glencoe promising to do whatever it took including murdering men in cold blood to protect the King. “And that has been a job well done, my lord. However, there remains one thing that needs answering. Or rather two.”

“You wish to know whether or not they will move to Episcopalianism and whether or not their promises will last once the reinforcement has stopped?” Archibald asked.

“Exactly.” James said. He took a moment to look at his brother the Earl of Melfort who was sat in the corner making notes, he then turned back to Campbell. “It is not that I do not think you have done a thorough job, it is simply that I need to know for certain, for the regency council.”

“I understand, my lord.” Archibald said. “I can promise you that their promises to fight and die for the King without question are sincere. The memory of the Bruce and the King’s grandfather are still strong in these parts. They will never put down their swords so long as the King is alive and willing to fight for them.” the next part too longer to come from Campbell, when it did come the man said. “As for Episcopalianism, I believe that that will come with time. Some such as the MacDonald of Glencoe are moving toward that way, whilst others are remaining somewhere in the centre. It will take time, but I think it will happen.”

“Very well.” James said. He fell silent then, waiting to see how long it would take before Campbell mentioned his reward.

It took perhaps a moment or two, and then Campbell said. “My lord, I have done all I can to fulfil the terms of our agreement.”

James nodded. “I am aware, and,” here he took out the paper with the seal of the crown on it. He opened it and read aloud. “By order of His Majesty King James VIII of Scotland it is hereby confirmed that Archibald Campbell of Clan Campbell is formally confirmed into his family estates and restored to them in blood. Furthermore, it is our pleasure to confirm Sir Archibald as Marquess of Argyll of the first creation, with the right to his heirs male.” James folded the paper and handed it to Archibald, the man now outranked him in status, and that was a bitter pill to swallow.

Campbell had a huge grin on his face. “Thank you, my lord.”

James nodded his head in acknowledgement. “Thank you, my lord, you are the one who has brought Western Scotland to our side.”

Archibald smiled. “It has been my pleasure.” With that he rose, bowed and then departed.

Once he was gone, James looked at his brother and said. “He now outranks the both of us. We rule Scotland for the crown and have done for the past decade, and yet Argyll does something at our bidding and now he is a Marquess. I do not understand the Princess’ thinking. Restoring him as an Earl makes sense, this does not.”

His brother, John Drummond, Earl of Melfort and Lord Chancellor of Scotland simply said. “She has not been to Scotland for many years, the Princess does not know how the dynamics work here. We must try and convince her to allow the King to visit here when he is old enough. That way we can make sure that he knows our value.”

A thought came to James then. “We could always use our friends in the Highlands to show our value.”

John raised an eyebrow. “If you think what I mean you think, you would be more foolish than I think you are.”

“Why?” James demanded. “She’s handed a Marquess title to Argyll a man who until recently was not able to afford to live in his family home. What is there to say she won’t make us Dukes if we deal with a rebellion?”

“The fact that even though she might be a bit dull she is not an idiot and she would know what we did.” John shot back.

James wanted to argue, but he knew his brother was right. So, instead he sighed. “What do you suggest we do then?”

“Continue ruling Scotland for the crown and then let that do its work. You remember what father always said.” John replied.

“Yes, hard work is always rewarded.” James said.

More likely forcing Treaty of Monmartre on the Duke along with a bastard bride.
Wait, the only way in which Leopold, Duke of Lorraine and nephew of Emperor Leopold will accept to marry a bastard daughter of Louis XIV is if he is forced to do it for having back his lands (and would require also a very fat dowry together with the restitution of Lorraine)

VVD0D95

Banned
Wait, the only way in which Leopold, Duke of Lorraine and nephew of Emperor Leopold will accept to marry a bastard daughter of Louis XIV is if he is forced to do it for having back his lands (and would require also a very fat dowry together with the restitution of Lorraine)

or if other lands are being offered to him

or if other lands are being offered to him
Other lands would be offered in exchange of his definitive renounce to Lorraine so will not be enough to persuading him to marry said girl (plus he will not be forever landless as his uncle will give him the Duchy of Teschen in 1722 in exchange of his maternal rights to Mantua)

VVD0D95

Banned
Other lands would be offered in exchange of his definitive renounce to Lorraine so will not be enough to persuading him to marry said girl (plus he will not be forever landless as his uncle will give him the Duchy of Teschen in 1722 in exchange of his maternal rights to Mantua)
Unless of course his uncle is persuaded to give him mantua no?

Unless of course his uncle is persuaded to give him mantua no?
Well yes, but that is less likely as in OTL Mantua was annexed to Milan who here will be Archduke Karl’s possession, right? So giving Teschen to Leopold in exchange of a renounce to Mantua make more sense

VVD0D95

Banned
Well yes, but that is less likely as in OTL Mantua was annexed to Milan who here will be Archduke Karl’s possession, right? So giving Teschen to Leopold in exchange of a renounce to Mantua make more sense

Indeed either as emperor or as his own fief

Chapter 47: A Princess of Orange

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 47: A Princess of Orange

April, 1695

Mary heard the sound of the children playing outside and she felt a tinge of jealousy and resentment. She had been married for eighteen years, but because of something that had happened when she had been barely older than a child she had never been able to have a child of her own. The pain of that knowledge that constantly haunted her, knowing she had failed in her one duty, and that her husband’s line would not continue. She had received a constant reminder of it from her father when he had been alive, and now she heard it from the laughter of the children of her husband’s cousin Henry Casimir and from the fact that her own sister had two children-three if you included the King she was raising- and she had none. Mary looked at her husband and wondered as she sometimes did, how he had not left her for another woman. Did he love her, or was he worried about antagonising her family? She sighed and that caused William to look up.

“Are you well, my dear?” He asked her, in the Dutch which had taken her so long to learn. “You are not feeling feverish, are you?”

Mary had been struck down by a fever last year, and had missed the festivities at The Hague, but she had recovered now. “No, not feverish.” She replied smiling, trying to push the thoughts of William having a mistress down.

“Good.” William said. “I do not know what I would do without you.”

Mary knew she was an adult grown, thirty-two years old and not a little girl anymore, but still, hearing those words come from her husband’s mouth made her swoon slightly. She smiled. “I know.”

There was a brief pause and then her husband said. “The Grand Pensionary and his fellow estate holders shall be coming to visit in two days’ time.”

“What are they going to be asking you to do now?” Mary asked. She knew how much her husband had wanted to fight in the last war, and how much he had been asked to do by the pensionaries to prevent him from doing so.

“I am the one doing the asking this time.” William said. As Mary raised an eyebrow, her husband continued. “We both know that France is never going to rest until it has the Spanish Netherlands in its possession, that means at some point or another there is going to be another war. Consequently, we need to make sure that we have the right army and navy to be able to handle that situation.”

Mary quickly got what her husband was saying. “So, you’re suggesting that they come here, talk and drink and then when they have had enough of both that they are suitably sated, you will propose expanding the military budget?”

William smiled and her heart leapt a little. “Exactly. They know that the French coming for the Spanish Netherlands would be a danger for us, and most of these people have investments in the Spanish Netherlands anyway, which would make it bad for them.”

“So, what role would you like me to play?” Mary asked. Previously when her husband had done this, she’d been the silent observer, but they both knew she could be much more than that now.

“Your natural role, my dear.” William said smiling. “After all, you are the Stadholder’s wife, not some jumped up advocate’s wife.” That last was a jibe at the current pensionary’s wife who was a rather strange lady.

Mary laughed. “Very well.”

“There was another thing that I hoped you might be able to do for me?” William asked then tentatively.

Mary suspected she knew what it was her husband would ask of her before he asked it, therefore she said. “You want me to write to Anne?”

“Yes, how did you know?” William asked.

Mary shrugged. “Well, it’s obvious, you’re inviting the Grand Pensioner and his friends over to build an alliance against France, you’re going to need England’s help as well. Anne’s daughter would make a particularly good bride for John William.” The last referred to the boy who was currently running around outside Het Loo with his sister, the boy who would because of her own failure, likely succeed her husband as Prince of Orange and Stadholder.

“That’s very true.” William said. “If you could write to her that would be most pleasing.”

Mary nodded. “I will do.” She paused trying to think of the right way to say what she had to say next and eventually deciding to just say it naturally. “Anne has also asked if you’ve had any further correspondence from the Earl of Devonshire?” Given the controversy that had ensued from Shrewsbury’s forgery and the trial, Mary could understand why her sister was nervous. She had been nervous throughout all of that as well, given what she knew of what had been planned.

William shook his head. “No, not since he sent that terrible letter. I would never endanger your life or that of your brother’s.”

Mary nodded. “I know, Anne just wanted to make sure.”

“I understand.” William said.

Mary smiled and then said. “I’ll write the letter today, so that Anne has time to respond.”

I was shot down once before for suggesting the Duke of Lorraine wasn't much of prize for a top French bride (assuming alternatives existed, which is not a safe assumption since a lot of the continent were in the Austrian orbit and may shy away from a French match). I'm still not quite sure why the house is being given so much consideration here - it's a poor, landless house now formally dispossessed of Lorraine/Bar. In '94/'95, it is not yet known for certain that Ferdinando of Mantua is going to die childless (although with his wife rounding 40, the prospects are currently dim, but as in OTL, a second marriage is possible) leaving Mantua to the Duke of L. Top family, or not, it's a house in severe decline.

Still, a bastard daughter is not a top French bride, and there is going to have to be some bribery - dowry/land - to induce the Duke to agree. Otherwise, the shame is just another smear on the shabby fortunes of the house. (edit - I doubt France is going to cough up Lorraine/Bar. What other lands does it have to offer?)

a point about Mantua: Austria gained it by force, dispossessing Ferdinando during the War of Spanish Succession, and then compensating Lorraine after Ferdinando's death in 1708. The war is different, but is Mantua destined for the same fate a decade or two earlier?

VVD0D95

Banned
I was shot down once before for suggesting the Duke of Lorraine wasn't much of prize for a top French bride (assuming alternatives existed, which is not a safe assumption since a lot of the continent were in the Austrian orbit and may shy away from a French match). I'm still not quite sure why the house is being given so much consideration here - it's a poor, landless house now formally dispossessed of Lorraine/Bar. In '94/'95, it is not yet known for certain that Ferdinando of Mantua is going to die childless (although with his wife rounding 40, the prospects are currently dim, but as in OTL, a second marriage is possible) leaving Mantua to the Duke of L. Top family, or not, it's a house in severe decline.

Still, a bastard daughter is not a top French bride, and there is going to have to be some bribery - dowry/land - to induce the Duke to agree. Otherwise, the shame is just another smear on the shabby fortunes of the house. (edit - I doubt France is going to cough up Lorraine/Bar. What other lands does it have to offer?)

a point about Mantua: Austria gained it by force, dispossessing Ferdinando during the War of Spanish Succession, and then compensating Lorraine after Ferdinando's death in 1708. The war is different, but is Mantua destined for the same fate a decade or two earlier?

This is very true, and truth be told unsure about Mantua, given as you say it's a decade or two earlier than what happened otl, I think that Mantua is safe for now, but the Emperor might just grant Leopold Lorraine Teschen here as a conciliatory prize

This is very true, and truth be told unsure about Mantua, given as you say it's a decade or two earlier than what happened otl, I think that Mantua is safe for now, but the Emperor might just grant Leopold Lorraine Teschen here as a conciliatory prize
conciliation for Mantua? Can the Emperor do that (just take a member Duchy of the empire)? I admit, I don't know the rules of the Holy Roman Empire, but that seems rather arbitrary to void a line of succession. OTL, the Empire was in occupation of Mantua during wartime, and then did some wheeling and dealing to pacify the Duke of Lorraine. Here, Ferdinando is dying childless during peacetime. Easy enough to occupy, but that would be an act of war, unless the Emperor has the authority to make up his own rules.

IF you're looking for a reason for another major war, this seems like a good one.

hmmm...Does France have any brides for Ferdinando in 1703 when his first wife dies?

VVD0D95

Banned
conciliation for Mantua? Can the Emperor do that (just take a member Duchy of the empire)? I admit, I don't know the rules of the Holy Roman Empire, but that seems rather arbitrary to void a line of succession. OTL, the Empire was in occupation of Mantua during wartime, and then did some wheeling and dealing to pacify the Duke of Lorraine. Here, Ferdinando is dying childless during peacetime. Easy enough to occupy, but that would be an act of war, unless the Emperor has the authority to make up his own rules.

IF you're looking for a reason for another major war, this seems like a good one.

hmmm...Does France have any brides for Ferdinando in 1703 when his first wife dies?

Oh I was more meaning they'd give Teschen to Lorraine as compensation for him not getting the Duchy of Lorraine back. Such a thing was done by Charles in 1720 otl. And, hmm, there are a few cadet branches with daughters lying around, who could be used.

@unprincipled peter: the Duke of Lorraine is still the nephew of the Emperor (in OTL Louis was forced to renounce to Lorraine and married his niece (with a very high dowry for making the match too much convenient for being refuted) to the Duke for trying to tie him to France instead of Austria).

Mantua is still in a complicated situation but yes as the Emperor will want Mantua and his nephew is landless is pretty likely who the Emperor will still give him Teschen in exchange of his rights on Mantua and acceptance of French possession of Lorraine

Ferdinando remarried to a French princess... If Emperor Leopold has already bought the rights of his half-sister and nephew he can very well claim Mantua as his own (and as Ferdinando of Mantua was a French ally well before the POD is pretty likely who the Emperor will still occupy his land and annexed it to Milan during this war). For the Emperor is pretty simple compensating his own relatives with Teschen and annexing Mantua with the troops he has in Milan (nothing different from what France has done with Lorraine by the way). If the Emperor can capture the Duke of Mantua and force him to sign an abdication still better