An Unexpected Prince

Maria Anna of Austria would make an interesting Queen/Dauphine of France, to be honest. And her dynamics with Burgundy (2 years her senior) should be different than with Joao V (6 years her junior).
Though with her extravagant parties a "hard-partying Austrian Queen of France" may become the trope a century before her OTL grandniece Marie Antioinette.

This is very true, and tbf as @unprincipled peter pointed out to me rhe French should be a lemon to threaten Austria through Bavaria, and should also be controlling the Mediterranean Sea board now as well
Well right now Bavaria is firmly in Austrian camp as their new elector is the infant son of Maria Antonia of Spain.

Unless Leopold I decides to offer an Archduchess to sway France towards peace terms more favorable to him (think Louis XIV own marriage situation with Treaty of Pyrenees). In which case France will make sure that maximal amount of possible concessions in its favor is included in marriage contract.
He has three daughters in suitable age bracket:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduchess_Maria_Elisabeth_of_Austria_(governor)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Anna_of_Austria
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduchess_Maria_Theresa_of_Austria_(1684–1696)
The Austrian girls have no inheritance right to which renounce so France will have little to ask.

Maria Anna of Austria would make an interesting Queen/Dauphine of France, to be honest. And her dynamics with Burgundy (2 years her senior) should be different than with Joao V (6 years her junior).
Though with her extravagant parties a "hard-partying Austrian Queen of France" may become the trope a century before her OTL grandniece Marie Antioinette.
I am not sure who Louis XIV and Leopold I will be interested in a match between their descendants...

VVD0D95

Banned
Well right now Bavaria is firmly in Austrian camp as their new elector is the infant son of Maria Antonia of Spain.

The Austrian girls have no inheritance right to which renounce so France will have little to ask.

I am not sure who Louis XIV and Leopold I will be interested in a match between their descendants...

Bavaria would be vulnerable though

And for peace

Bavaria would be vulnerable though

And for peace
Bavaria should be quite vulnerable. The pro-Austrian (and presumably Austrian) forces of the upper Rhine are defeated. I think, without rechecking the map, Baden is in the way, but they would have been part of the beaten forces. This should leave the way open to Bavaria. Since Bavaria has no real forces capable of stopping the French, they'll rely on Austria, who has just been beaten in the German theater, is still fighting the turks, is facing France/Savoy in Milan, and sometime in this timeframe have a Hungarian uprising to deal with, and who should be completely worn out/in dire straits. France is weary, but with so much up for grabs, can still carry on a war. Through Bavaria lies Austria. Austria will have to position troops in that direction, weakening the Italian front, which is now vulnerable.

Of the combatants, France should have a healthy navy. OTL, I think it took a beating in the 9YW and never recovered. Here, not facing the strong English/Dutch navy, France should be able to impose its will (or attempt to) in the Mediterranean, meaning Naples/Sicily/Sardinia are at risk. Sicily has just been rocked by a massive earthquake, leaving it even more vulnerable, although the following plague may affect an invasion force.

I would think the war is at the tipping point in favor of France, so they should be able to get a very favorable settlement. Greedy Louis XIV knows this. I think, if anything, he'll push too far rather than making only modest gains and not demanding a good chunk of the Spanish empire. The Spanish throne is out of reach, so it's going to have to be peripheral chunks.

Chapter 41: Spain Again

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 41: Spain Again

June, 1693

Maria Antonia, Queen of Castile, Aragon and all numerous sub Kingdoms to which the title Spain had become applied sighed. She had been in Spain for some time now and she was horrified, absolutely horrified at the state of the place. The Kingdom was up to its eyeballs in debt, they weren’t able to pay the army, to pay the administrators, to pay anyone, unless they made significant cuts to some of the grand plans that her uncle or her grandmother had made. She’d done that within the first few weeks of being here, and had threatened death for anyone who’d refused to accept them. And still it didn’t seem enough. And now there was this end of war proceeding to go through.

“Tell us the terms our father has offered France.” Maria said. She could not understand why she and her father were not working together, perhaps it was his pride.

“He has offered to concede the Duchies of Bar and Lorraine alongside a position on the Rhine to France, and has suggested France can keep some of their gains in the Spanish Netherlands as long as the English and Dutch can keep garrisons in Ypres and Namur.” The Duke of Albuquerque, who was her foreign minister said.

Maria Antonia heard what he said and took some time to process them, she had learned Spanish as a child, her father had seen to that, but there was a difference between hearing it from the speakers at home in Vienna and here. Eventually once she had gotten the rough idea of what the man had said, she replied. “That is unacceptable. The English and the Dutch did nothing during this war, therefore they should not get any say in the terms that are being made. We do not understand why the Emperor is making demands when he himself is facing a potential for invasion.”

Her grandmother, the strong-willed Marianna of Austria spoke then. “The Emperor is doing what he thinks is best for him. You must do what is best for you, Your Majesty.”

Maria Antonia thought on that, it similar to the advice that Jakub had given her last night when she’d been complaining about her father and his damned foolishness. She thought and then said. “We cannot part with areas within the Spanish Netherlands that are vital to trade. If we give into what our father says, we will be dependent on the English and the Dutch holding the line to make sure that the French do not do anything to invade there. That will make us appear weak and that is not something we can afford.”

There was a general murmur of agreement at the table. “Well one positive is that the Catalonians have accepted the concessions on rights and trade that you have granted them.” The Duke of Abrantes who was the minister she had charged with dealing with the Aragonese, said.

“Indeed.” Her grandmother Marianna said. “That is always a good thing.”

“Yes, but we will need to be prepared for more unrest from them should it come to it.” Maria Antonia said.

“Why?” Her grandmother asked.

“Because we will offer Naples and Sicily to King Louis for his grandson.” Maria Antonia replied. She held up a hand to stall her grandmother’s protests and added. “Naples and Sicily have done little for us other than been a burden, they were a republic some forty years ago, and before that they were always a target for the French and other enemies of ours. Yes, the Emperor will claim that it puts him at a disadvantage, but we cannot think on that now. We must cut something from the Empire to keep it afloat. We personally believe that the new world is more important now and will become more important in the future.” She took another breath and then said. “Let France get Naples and Sicily as the cover for the unpaid dowry for our aunt Maria Theresa, and let us move on from there. And to ensure that Louis has a reason to agree we shall offer our son Leopold Maximilian as a husband for his granddaughter Maria Theresa, the daughter of the Dauphin. Or we shall offer our daughter to marry his grandson Felipe, when the boy becomes King of Naples and Sicily.”

Once she had finished she waited for a moment, and was about to move onto something else, when the Duke of Abrantes said. “You will need to think of something to give the Aragonese to placate them then, Your Majesty. They will not willingly allow the partition of their realm.”

Maria Antonia looked at the man and sighed. “We know. However, we do not know what more we can give them.” After all, the journey to Aragon had almost cost Leopold Maximilian his health, her son was now completely bed ridden with some illness the doctors were convinced would end up killing him in the end.

The Duke however, was happy to take on the burden. “Leave that to me, Your Majesty. I will find something to bribe them with.”

Maria Antonia nodded. “Is there any other objection?” She looked pointedly at her grandmother who simply replied.

“I do not have any that can be considered in good faith. All I will say is that be careful. King Louis will not always play fair. And you may wish to ensure there is another heir around for the day when King Louis breaks his promise.” Marianna said.

Maria Antonia nodded, but said nothing, she and Jakub would talk about another child when the time was right. The memories of having suffered a very early miscarriage still haunted her, after all.

Chapter 42: A Way In And Out

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 42: A Way In And Out

October, 1693

Sidney Godolphin newly raised to Marquess of Godolphin following his successful role in dealing with the traitors Sidney and Shrewsbury looked at the Duchess of Cumberland and knew that what he had to say would not be greeted well by her or by others on the council. “Spain, France and the Emperor have agreed to peace terms that have ended their war.” There was a collective sigh of relief around the table which encouraged him to push on. “In return for recognising Maria Antonia as Queen of Spain, King Louis has taken and been granted the Kingdoms of Naples and Sicily for his son the Dauphin. It has been agreed by Spain and France that these territories shall pass to the Dauphin’s second son Philip Duke of Anjou when he comes of age and that he shall rule them as King. Furthermore, King Louis has managed to convince the Emperor to let him retain Lorraine and Bar, alongside a border on the Rhine which includes Philippsburg.”

The silence that followed his words was a heavy one, almost oppressive. Eventually, the Princess spoke. “So, what does this mean then?”

Sidney took a moment and then said. “It means, Your Highness that France’s ascendancy continues. Spain is now without a foothold in Italy, and though the Empire maintains Milan, they now have France on their border through Naples and Sicily. Furthermore, Savoy is now not reconciled with either France or Vienna, which means the chances for future problems in Italy remain.”

“And because we didn’t get involved in the war, we cannot complain about this.” The Princess said in what Sidney thought was a sulky tone.

Before the Princess could put the blame on him, Sidney quickly said. “Not entering the war was what was best for us, Your Highness. The situation at home was too turbulent for us to be confident that the soldiery would be able to pull off what needed to be done.” It was true some of the things that had been said and done during the trial made him wonder if they would ever be able heal the divides in the Kingdom.

“Well, what can we do now to ensure that we do not lose face with Spain or the Emperor?” The Princess asked.

“We must develop the fleet more, Your Highness.” Sidney said. “France will continue to exercise dominance, but if Spain and Vienna know that we are there to help protect them then we can ensure that they continue to look to us.”

The Princess looked at her husband, the Duke of Cumberland, who though he appeared a man lacking wits, was actually a very good administrator. The Duke seemed to know what it was his wife was asking him with her eyes, for he said. “We can continue construction of the channel fleet and the Atlantic fleet, and that way keep the patrolling of the seas our priority.”

“Then do so. I do not want Spain thinking we have become lax in our commitment to the alliance with them.” the Princess said.

“We cannot let the Dutch try the same thing either, Your Highness.” Sidney said, remembering something one of his spies in The Hague had written to him. “They are already trying to convince Madrid and Vienna that they can deliver protection.”

The Princess fixed him with a look that made him want to disappear, instead he held her gaze and waited for her to speak, when she did, her words were measured. “So, what do you suggest we do then, Marquess?”

Sidney had thought long and hard about this. “We do what the Duke has suggested, we continue construction of the fleets, but we also begin tightening the colonies in the New World in terms of their governance and their structure, and we begin setting up a trading centre with Spain. Not anything too major but things that would allow for Parliament to consider amending the Navigation Acts.”

Immediately, William Cowper, the Lord Chancellor and newly created Earl Cowper spoke. “We would need to hold another election to ensure the Commons was completely secured in that manner. For such a thing would be contentious.”

“Naturally.” Sidney said dismissively. “And with Devonshire gone from the court and Parliament, our own men should be able to exert their influence.”

The Princess did not look completely convinced, but she did say. “Very well, let us get on with that then.”

“There is another issue, Your Highness.” Sidney said.

“What is it?” The Princess asked exasperated.

“Queen Maria’s heir, Leopold Maximilian the Elector of Bavaria is gravely ill, our spies in Madrid report that it is feared he might well die before the year ends.” Sidney said.

“And if that happens King Louis will no doubt propose his grandson marry the Queen’s daughter.” the Princess said.

“Exactly.” Sidney said.

The Princess did not speak immediately, but then she said. “I shall go to the Lords on the morrow and formally begin the proceedings for a new election.”

Sidney nodded, knowing he could use his influence to get a majority for the government, especially with the Whigs discredited. “Very good, Your Highness.”

Family Tree of James II and VII

VVD0D95

Banned
Family tree James II and VII.jpg

Chapter 43: Rochester

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 43: Rochester

February, 1694

Anne read through the letter which had come from the English ambassador in Spain, Alexander Stanhope and she wondered where things might go from here, the letter made for some grim reading after all.

Your Highness,

It is with a heavy heart that I write that that delightful child His Royal Highness Leopold Maximilian Prince of Asturias and Elector of Bavaria has died. It seems the illness which captured him during the course of the previous year finally succeeded in overwhelming his defences. The court has fallen into mourning for the little Prince and the Queen has herself ordered that all court functions cease for the time being.

I do not know yet what the Queen and her husband will decide on next. Already I have seen the French ambassador try to seek an audience not only with the Queen but with her grandmother the Dowager Queen also. It seems the Sun King wishes to arrange a marriage between his grandson the Duke of Anjou and the Queen’s daughter now.

I will of course keep you informed of every and all developments.

Yours Truly

Alexander Stanhope, Envoy Extraordinaire to the Court of Queen Maria Antonia of Spain.

Anne put down the letter and sighed. With Leopold Maximilian dead, that meant that the boy’s uncle was now Elector of Bavaria unless the church of Rome prevented him from inheriting and marrying. It also opened the chances that France might try to pursue their claim to Cologne. She would need to inform the council of this when they got to Bath. Another thing that niggled her was that the child was a Royal Highness, but she and her sister had remained Highnesses. She wondered why her uncle or grandfather or even father had not changed that. She would need to do that through an Order in Council, it was only appropriate after all.

Elizabeth Talbot, a lady in waiting and a good friend of Anne’s came to her then. Anne put the letter away and asked. “What is it Liz?”

“The Earl of Rochester is here to see you, Your Highness.” Elizabeth said.

Anne bit back a sigh, she had forgotten that she’d agreed to meet her uncle. She did not like him, she found him grasping and a bit of a lech. But still he was family, and so she nodded. “Let him in.” Elizabeth bowed, told the guards and then departed. Laurence Hyde walked in. He was tall, not as tall as his son Henry was, but still tall. He walked in, bowed before her and then took the seat she offered him. She waited a beat and then said. “Uncle, how nice to see you.”

“And you, Your Highness. It has been too long.” Rochester said, kissing her hand. He was technically Lord President of the Council, but he rarely attended meetings of the regency for reasons she could not understand. Though she suspected he wanted another position.

“What can I do for you, uncle?” Anne asked.

She had thought her uncle might beat around a little, but instead he said. “I know that things have not gone quite as well as you hoped they would, with regards to France and Spain, Your Highness. And I was hoping that you might consider a suggestion of mine.”

Anne thought she knew what the suggestion was going to be, but she was too polite to tell him to stop there. Instead she said. “Go ahead, I am listening.”

“It is my view that England made the wrong choice by not getting involved in the war on the continent. We could have made some serious gains and we could have finally put the boot into the Dutch once and for all. Now we are seeing France dominate once more, and there is now a lack of trust between us, Spain and Vienna.” Rochester said. “I believe that the Regency Council must be changed. There are too many cautionary figures on it.”

Anne raised an eyebrow and asked. “Who would you replace, uncle?”

“Middleton for one. That man is a Scot; he should be in Scotland not here. And for another Sir Stephen Fox. That man counts coins, but he does not know what to do with them.” Rochester said.

Anne looked at her uncle and wondered what her father had seen in him. He was an ambitious and grasping man, quite unlike his brother, and Anne’s other uncle Henry, Earl of Clarendon who was serving in Ireland with quite good recommendations. “And who would you replace them with?”

“Why I would replace Fox with me of course. I have served in that role before, during the King’s father’s reign, and I ensured the treasury more than tripled the amount it had before. Furthermore, I have contacts in Europe, people who could bring investment and trade into the country. Something that Fox with his fascination with the army and with the press could never do.” Rochester said.

“And the Northern Secretary? Who would you have if not Middleton?” Anne asked.

“The Earl of Essex.” Rochester replied.

“You would have me put a soldier into one of the most important offices in the realm, a man who has no political experience?” Anne asked astounded.

“Yes.” Rochester said.

“Why?” Anne demanded.

“Because he would be easy to control, and the objectives that Middleton has stood against could be achieved.” Her uncle said.

“And what objectives might those be?” Anne demanded. She had a feeling she knew where her uncle was going with this and she was not sure whether she felt comfortable discussing them, especially after the accusations that the Shrewsbury trial had levelled against her.

“Centralisation of government into the hands of the crown and council. Middleton is of the old school, and he will not let such a thing happen.” Rochester said. “You have already gone over Parliament’s head before, and with the new elections due to produce a Tory Majority, you can be sure that Parliament is going to want to keep things as they are now. Put Essex into Middleton’s role, and you can override Parliament more effectively. Use his soldier’s thinking and everything you need to do will happen.” Her uncle finished, and then added almost as an afterthought. “Including getting that free trade area with Spain you so desire.”

Anne did not know how her uncle knew about the trade zone desire that she and the cabinet held, but then she remembered that her uncle had friends everywhere in court. She pushed down her surprise and simply said. “I will consider what you have said, uncle. Now is there anything else?” She would need to plan for the journey to Bath, and ensuring that this letter did not get misplaced.

“Yes, why are you taking the King to Bath, with you?” Her uncle demanded.

“Because I am going there for my husband’s health and as the possessor of the King, he must accompany me.” Anne said.

“You cannot take the King away from London now, that would-be madness.” Rochester said. “A new Parliament is about to meet; the King must be here for it.”

Anne looked at him and said. “The King must come with me as I am his sister, and the person responsible for his upbringing.”

“Then you cannot go to Bath.” Rochester said. “Your husband can go, but you must be here.”

“No.” Anne said. She held firm then, refusing to bend to any of the voices inside that were telling her, that her uncle was right. She had made her mind up; the King would accompany them as they made their way to Bath after the opening of Parliament.

Her uncle sighed then. “Well, I can see your mind is decided. I will say one thing though, the way things are going now, you will need to arrange a marriage for the King and for your daughter, before the year is out. It is good to have allies.”

Chapter 44: A Grandmother's Advice

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 44: A Grandmother’s Advice

May, 1694

It had been two months since her great-grandson had died, and the pall of mourning still hung over the court. Oh, the official mourning period had ended, but still nobody laughed as much anymore, and there were very few plays anymore. Those had been a favourite of Leopold Maximilian, and now he was gone, her granddaughter saw little reason to have them. She wondered not for the first time, if there was some sort of curse upon their family. She remembered how bitterly sad she had been each time she had buried a child with Felipe, and how by the end her husband had closed himself off to her completely. Maria Antonia did not seem to be doing that with her husband, but then Jakub was not Felipe, he was of a different sort, and for that she was grateful. Still as the oldest member of the family, she had a duty to speak with her granddaughter, woman to woman.

She looked at the Queen of Spain, and said to her. “This will not come across as very nice now, but know that I say this with all the love in my heart,” she spoke in German for it was easier than conversing in Spanish for what she had to say. “You must move on. Leopold is dead, but you have a daughter who is still alive and who needs you. You must bury that piece of your heart with Leopold and move on.”

Maria Antonia looked at Marianna and said. “I know, grandmother. But it is not easy.”

Marianna laughed. “I never said it would be easy. Do you know how many children I had to bury before I found peace? It is hard work, day in and day out. But you must do it.”

“How?” Her granddaughter asked. “How?”

Marianna took her granddaughter’s hand then and said. “By taking each day as it comes, by ensuring you remember that though your son is gone, you still live and that you must make the most of everything that comes your way. And mostly by accepting that as Queen you cannot grieve forever, unlike your subjects.”

Maria Antonia was a woman grown, but still when she spoke next Marianna was reminded of a little girl she had met once long ago. “That does not seem very fair.”

“Indeed not, and yet it is our way in life. Imagine what it must be like for the men. Never being allowed to grieve properly, and being expected to lead and guide through the darkness.” Marianna said. She had seen how as with every passing death; Felipe had withdrawn in on himself until eventually he could barely speak. She did not want that for her granddaughter or for her granddaughter’s husband.

Maria Antonia nodded. “Jakub has been taking it hard, he was very close to Leopold.”

Marianna hummed in agreement. “He is a good man.”

“He is.” Maria Antonia said, with something that Marianna had once heard from her own brother as he spoke about her daughter. “There is something else though.”

“And what is that?” Marianna asked though she suspected she knew what it was.

“King Louis of France has already suggested a marriage between my daughter and his grandson Philipp. He says it is the best way to secure a long-lasting peace.” Maria Antonia said in a tone that indicated quite clearly what she thought of that proposal.

Marianna laughed. “He always was an ambitious man, was Louis.” She remembered how often her husband had complained on that matter, but pushed that to the side. “I think such a marriage would see a revolt in Catalonia or somewhere else as they’d probably want direct rule from France in any case. And furthermore, you’ve already given him Naples and Sicily giving him a throne would be far too much, especially when there is a chance that you and Jakub might have more children.” The last was said hopefully, she did not know if her granddaughter could bear the strain of more children.

“So, what do you suggest I do?” Maria Antonia asked her.

Marianna took a breath and then said. “I would try for another child; a son is needed to keep the succession within your family. Otherwise I would consider either a marriage with your father’s son Karl, or indeed his grandson Leopold Joseph.”

Her granddaughter scrunched her face. “I think Karl would perhaps be more likely, Leopold Joseph is a squalling infant.”

“True.” Marianna conceded, she had been surprised at how early her brother had had his son Joseph marry Wilhemine of Brunswick-Lunenburg, the boy was only sixteen after all.

“I will speak at the council on this matter and go from there.” Maria Antonia said.

“I would have your mind made up before then.” Marianna suggested. “The council will be divided enough as it is, your decision will make things final.”

Maria Antonia nodded. “Of course.” She got up then, but before she left Marianna’s granddaughter said. “Thank you, grandmother.”

Great update!
By the way I had a question about this:
“In return for recognising Maria Antonia as Queen of Spain, King Louis has taken and been granted the Kingdoms of Naples and Sicily for his son the Dauphin. It has been agreed by Spain and France that these territories shall pass to the Dauphin’s second son Philip Duke of Anjou when he comes of age and that he shall rule them as King...”
Is the Dauphin going to be King of Naples and Sicily, or just a regent for Anjou? Given how they get on, I personnaly don't think Louis'd like having his son be King.

VVD0D95

Banned
Great update!
By the way I had a question about this:

Is the Dauphin going to be King of Naples and Sicily, or just a regent for Anjou? Given how they get on, I personnaly don't think Louis'd like having his son be King.

cheere! And right now there’s a French dude ruling in the name of the French crown in Naples abd Sicily. With Phil being sent there when he comes of age :)

cheere! And right now there’s a French dude ruling in the name of the French crown in Naples abd Sicily. With Phil being sent there when he comes of age :)
Ah OK thanks!
Wonder what's going to happen to Joseph-Clemens. The Bavarian throne can't be passed through women, can it? Otherwise Louis's going to jump at the chance to claim Bavaria for his grandson :confounded:

Ah OK thanks!
Wonder what's going to happen to Joseph-Clemens. The Bavarian throne can't be passed through women, can it? Otherwise Louis's going to jump at the chance to claim Bavaria for his grandson :confounded:
No way... Salic law...
Either Joseph Clemens is released by his vows (if he had ever take them), marry and had sons or someone else will inherit Bavaria after his death? Try to guess who will be the lucky guy (if I am not mistaken and exist another branch of Wittelsbach before his own)...

VVD0D95

Banned
No way... Salic law...
Either Joseph Clemens is released by his vows (if he had ever take them), marry and had sons or someone else will inherit Bavaria after his death? Try to guess who will be the lucky guy (if I am not mistaken and exist another branch of Wittelsbach before his own)...
Would he have needed to take vows to be able to become archbishop of
Cologne?

Abd tbf next is Joseph’s uncle Maximilian, and then the elector palatine

At least IOTL by 1690 he had not taken formal vows despite being Prince-Bishop and Elector of Cologne - TTL the situation would be the same as he is a heir presumptive to his nephew.
Maximilian Philippe is childless, and Pope is likely realistic re. infant mortality.

If Anna de Medici is not married yet, Joseph Clemens can marry her.

VVD0D95

Banned
At least IOTL by 1690 he had not taken formal vows despite being Prince-Bishop and Elector of Cologne - TTL the situation would be the same as he is a heir presumptive to his nephew.
Maximilian Philippe is childless, and Pope is likely realistic re. infant mortality.

If Anna de Medici is not married yet, Joseph Clemens can marry her.

Very true, so would he need to renounce the archbisopric in order to marry?