An Old Krupp Booklet

LittleSpeer

Monthly Donor
How old is this book? The last written date in it is 1928 and i have no clue the year as its all in German.

P1010018.JPG

No date given. That's not really surprising, many German books fropm the interwar period don't. From the print and general design, unless it's really well preserved it's unlikely to be pre-1918, and certainly not post-1945. If you have a date entry for 1928, that's your ante quem.

Krupp

First, I have to advertise a book: The Arms of Krupp The Rise and FAll of the Industrial Dynasty that Armed Germany at War. By William Manchester (This book will teach you everything you want to know about Krupp)

Next, "aktiengesell schaft" means stock company.

Next, the Fried. Krupp on the cover seems to mean that the book was printed when Friedrich Krupp was the owner of the company. There were two Friedrichs'. The first was the founder of Krupp; he lived 1787-1826. The other Friedrich lived from 1854-1902.

I am thinking the book was printed when the owner was still alive, and it looks in too good condition to be 200 years old. I am thinking it's approximate date is about 1900.

Now the part that confuses me is the "aktiengesell schaft", or stock company. For most of the company's history, it was a sole proprietorship, meaning it was solely owned by the president. Krupp did not become a "stock company" until January 31, 1968;the company head, Alfrev von Bohen und Halbach was the last sole proprietor.

There you go; that is all I've got for the moment.

Wishing you well, his majesty,
The Scandinavian Emperor

The company became Fried. Krupp AG following the death of its proprietor, Friedrich Krupp, without a male heir in 1902. Before that, it was Friedrich Krupp. Technically, it stayed in business under that name until 1992, when it merged with Hoesch, but I don't think the full name and logo continued in use past 1945. My guess remains mid-20s.

Also, the design is wrong for the late 1800s. Too avantgarde for the period.

LittleSpeer

Monthly Donor
This is in the last chapter of the book on the history of the company or at least what seems to be the history.

P1010022.JPG

These look like figures for corporate charity or employee welfare provisdion, whathaveyou. Social services for people, presumably employees of the company. Krupp was big on that. Any chance this is a printed annual report for 1927/8?

LittleSpeer

Monthly Donor
These look like figures for corporate charity or employee welfare provisdion, whathaveyou. Social services for people, presumably employees of the company. Krupp was big on that. Any chance this is a printed annual report for 1927/8?
That could be part of it but it inculdes company history up till 1928 all the way back till early 1800's

That could be part of it but it inculdes company history up till 1928 all the way back till early 1800's

Advertising, then, quite possibly. I can't think of any anniversary or relevant reason to puiblish something like this in 1928, but it may have been a general public relations thing.