An MLB Collaborative TL: Piece of Cake: The Cubs win Game 6 in '03

MLB Expansion news, Torre joins ESPN, T.O being T.O
June 26th 2004: Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim pledges a campaign to get the Minnesota Twins to Mexico City. Joining alongside him is former Mexican MLB star Fernando Valenzuela

June 28th 2004: Joe Torre while not officially retired from managing ends up joining the ESPN on MLB broadcasting crew for the rest of the season.

June 29th 2004: The campaign to bring a MLB team to Washington DC gets a new key endorsement with Former President George HW Bush announcing his said endorsement for this bid.

June 30th 2004: Terrell Owens practices for the first time with the Minnesota Vikings alongside Randy Moss in which afterwards Owens goes on a bizarre rambling to the media on how he and Moss are gonna rule not just the league this season but the Earth!

The twins to CDMX would be absolutely nuts but I dig it!

And man that TO/Moss pairing seems likely to get… combustible, on and off the field

Beltran Bombshell
June 30, 2004: Following a 13-6 loss at the hands of the Orioles, Royals star Carlos Beltran lets loose in the post-game conference when asked about a potential third trade. In the rant, Beltran says "They (MLBPA) never asked me whether I was ok with the move. Not to San Francisco, not to Chicago. I don't think they asked Zach (Greinke) about it either. It's bullshit. If they cared about player wellbeing like they are supposed to, then why wasn't I called to see what I thought of the move? Why wasn't Zach? Both teams agreed, and all of us players were ready to go. I don't think this is good for the game." Upon discovery of the MLBPA's practices in handling the trades, more outrage is sparked.

June 30, 2004: Following a 13-6 loss at the hands of the Orioles, Royals star Carlos Beltran lets loose in the post-game conference when asked about a potential third trade. In the rant, Beltran says "They (MLBPA) never asked me whether I was ok with the move. Not to San Francisco, not to Chicago. I don't think they asked Zach (Greinke) about it either. It's bullshit. If they cared about player wellbeing like they are supposed to, then why wasn't I called to see what I thought of the move? Why wasn't Zach? Both teams agreed, and all of us players were ready to go. I don't think this is good for the game." Upon discovery of the MLBPA's practices in handling the trades, more outrage is sparked.
Get the popcorn.

Good News Beltran, we're in July, so a trade wouldn't be so blatant tanking.

NBA draft, picks 3-10
I will do the rest of the top 10 for the NBA Draft

Ernie Johnson: So here comes the new expansion NBA the Charlotte Bobcats and their pick as let’s see what they have in store for 3rd overall

“With the 3rd pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Charlotte Bobcats select Josh Childress from the University of Stanford”

Mike Tirco: So the rumors that we heard that the Bobcats were interested in him turned out to be true and Childress goes 3rd overall hoping to be the first player to make some what of a impact in the history of the new Bobcats franchise.

*Later on*

“With the 4th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Atlanta Hawks select Loul Deng from Duke University”

Ernie Johnson: So Loul Deng who recently had a bit of a stock boost ends up going 4th overall to the Hawks as they hope for him to be a replacement for Rasheed Wallace in Atlanta

*Later on*

“With the 5th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Chicago Bulls select Ben Gordon from Connecticut University.”

Ernie Johnson: Now while Ben Gordon may celebrate being a member of the Bulls for now that might not last long because according to our own Jay Blias there might be a trade soon explain more Jay

Jay Blias: Thanks Erine yeah we are expecting the Bulls to trade this pick of Ben Gordon to the Bucks for whoever they pick at 7 and expect the Bulls also to give away their 2nd round pick and Jamal Crawford to Milwaukee in this deal.

Ernie Johnson: Wow Jay! They are seriously about rebuilding in Chicago if has been tough for the franchise since Jordan left for good in 99.

*Later on*

“With the 6th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Los Angeles Clippers select Devin Harris from Wisconsin University.”

Ernie Johnson: Well the Clippers get someone who could very well replace one of their top shooters of the past couple seasons in Qutien Richardson and it’s Devin Harris. Don’t expect any trades of this pick.
*Later on*

“With the 7th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Milwaukee Bucks select Shaun Livingston from Peoria High School in Perioa Illinois.”

Ernie Johnson: Well don’t expect Livingston to be here for long as he will probably be shipped off to Chicago soon for Ben Gordon but for time being he will enjoy being a member of a the team who drafted him.

*Later on*
“We have a trade to announce the Chicago Bulls have traded the draft rights of Ben Gordon and their 1st 2nd round pick of the 2004 NBA Draft and Jamal Crawford to the Milwaukee Bucks to in return for the draft rights of Shaun Livingston and a 2006 1st round pick.
Anyways with the 8th pick in the 2008 NBA Draft the New York Knicks select Andre Iguodala from Arizona University.””

Mike Trico: Well guys I think the Knicks fans here like this pick! *The camera shows the Knicks fans in the arena approving of the pick.*

*Later on*
“With the 9th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors select Andris Biedrins from the country of Lavita who last played for BK Skonto in Riga Lavtia”

Stephen A Smith: Now I know they have Shaq now in Toronto as their franchise Center and they extended him but Biderins is someone I believe that you can put in as a Power Forward in times when Bosh is not in the position of being a Power Foward so this pick makes sense.

*Later on*

“With the 10th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Seattle SuperSonics select Jameer Nelson from St Joepsh’s University.”

Mike Tirco: So the SuperSonics at Pick 10 end up with who was arguably the best player in college basketball last season and almost led his St Joepsh Hawks to a perfect season.

Stephen A Smith: I think with this selection Seattle has gotten their next big superstar in their franchise’s history.

Last edited:
I will do the rest of the top 10 for the NBA Draft

Ernie Johnson: So here comes the new expansion NBA the Charlotte Bobcats and their pick as let’s see what they have in store for 3rd overall

“With the 3rd pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Charlotte Bobcats select Josh Childress from the University of Stanford”

Mike Tirco: So the rumors that we heard that the Bobcats were interested in him turned out to be true and Childress goes 3rd overall hoping to be the first player to make some what of a impact in the history of the new Bobcats franchise.

*Later on*

“With the 4th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Atlanta Hawks select Loul Deng from Duke University”

Ernie Johnson: So Loul Deng who recently had a bit of a stock boost ends up going 4th overall to the Hawks as they hope for him to be a replacement for Rasheed Wallace in Atlanta

*Later on*

“With the 5th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Chicago Bulls select Ben Gordon from Connecticut University.”

Ernie Johnson: Now while Ben Gordon may celebrate being a member of the Bulls for now that might not last long because according to our own Jay Blias there might be a trade soon explain more Jay

Jay Blias: Thanks Erine yeah we are expecting the Bulls to trade this pick of Ben Gordon to the Bucks for whoever they pick at 7 and expect the Bulls also to give away their 2nd round pick and Jamal Crawford to Milwaukee in this deal.

Ernie Johnson: Wow Jay! They are seriously about rebuilding in Chicago if has been tough for the franchise since Jordan left for good in 99.

*Later on*

“With the 6th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Los Angeles Clippers select Devin Harris from Wisconsin University.”

Ernie Johnson: Well the Clippers get someone who could very well replace one of their top shooters of the past couple seasons in Qutien Richardson and it’s Devin Harris. Don’t expect any trades of this pick.
*Later on*

“With the 7th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Milwaukee Bucks select Shaun Livingston from Perioa High School in Perioa Illinois.”

Ernie Johnson: Well don’t expect Livingston to be here for long as he will probably be shipped off to Chicago soon for Ben Gordon but for time being he will enjoy being a member of a the team who drafted him.

*Later on*
“We have a trade to announce the Chicago Bulls have traded the draft rights of Ben Gordon and their 1st 2nd round pick of the 2004 NBA Draft and Jamal Crawford to the Milwaukee Bucks to in return for the draft rights of Shaun Livingston and a 2006 1st round pick.
Anyways with the 8th pick in the 2008 NBA Draft the New York Knicks select Andre Iguodala from Arizona University.””

Mike Trico: Well guys I think the Knicks fans here like this pick! *The camera shows the Knicks fans in the arena approving of the pick.*

*Later on*
“With the 9th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors select Andris Biedrins from the country of Lavita who last played for BK Skonto in Riga Lavtia”

Stephen A Smith: Now I know they have Shaq now in Toronto as their franchise Center and they extended him but Biderins is someone I believe that you can put in as a Power Forward in times when Bosh is not in the position of being a Power Foward so this pick makes sense.

*Later on*

“With the 10th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Seattle SuperSonics select Jammer Nelson from St Joepsh’s University.”

Mike Tirco: So the SuperSonics at Pick 10 end up with who was arguably the best player in college basketball last season and almost led his St Joepsh Hawks to a perfect season.

Stephen A Smith: I think with this selection Seattle has gotten their next big superstar in their franchise’s history.
This is great. Small nitpick, but you misspelled Peoria and Jameer Nelson. But it was great

Picks 11-19
CONTINUING COVERAGE OF THE 2004 NBA DRAFT

Ernie Johnson: Alright let’s go to the Trail Blazers with the 11th pick

“With the 11th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Portland Trail Blazers select Luke Jackson from Oregon University.”

Mike Tirco: So Luke Jackson is gonna stay in state for his NBA career barring a trade and this has to be a nice opportunity for the Trail Blazers right here to go with a local guy.

*Later on*

“With the 12th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Utah Jazz select Al Jefferson from Prentiss High School in Prentiss Alabama.”

Mike Tirco: So the Jazz get a guy who could rotate around Andre Kirilenko when it comes to the power forward position

*Later on*

Ernie Johnson: So it’s true here that whoever is chosen here at Pick 13 by the Denver Nuggets will be traded to Miami at pick 15?

Jay Balis: Yes Ernie Miami will get whoever is drafted at pick 13 and a 2005 2nd Round Pick and they will be traded Lamar Odom and will be swapping 2005 2nd Round Pick to Denver. Odom will try to fill the power foward need for Denver

Ernie Johnson: Thanks Jay that’s interesting well let’s what happen here as Denver will be picking for the Miami Heat at 13.

“With the 13th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Denver Nuggets select Rafael Araujo from Brazil and the Brigham Young University.”

Ernie Johnson: So he will have that Nuggets hat on for now but it won’t be long till he finds out the news about the trade that is in the process of happening

*Later on*

“With the 14th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Golden State Warriors select Kris Humphries from Minnesota University.”

Ernie Johnson: So Kris Humpries goes to Golden State

Stephen A Smith: This is interesting Ernie as I can see him maybe switching towards a more center friendly role here in the NBA with them as this could the reason why they drafted him here as that has been a pressing need for the Warriors

*Later on*

Ernie Johnson: Alright so here at pick 15 it’s the Miami Heat picking but they will be picking for Denver right here due to of course a trade that is set to be official soon that will send Lamar Odom to Denver and see both teams swamp their 2005 2nd Round picks anyway let’s see what happens

“With the 15th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Miami Heat select JR Smith from St. Benedict's Preparatory School in Newark New Jersey.”

Ernie Johnson: As before Smith will put on a Heat hat and hold a heat jersey but it will not be long before he will be switching that for a Nuggets jersey and hat

*Later on*

Ernie Johnson: So we have reached the end of the lottery picks and we go to the first playoff team picking the Washington Wizards here is Commissioner Stern.

“Before we announced the pick there has be a trade to announce the Denver Nuggets have traded the draft rights of Rafael Araujo and their 2005 2nd round pick to the Miami Heat for the draft rights to JR Smith and their own 2005 2nd Round Pick.
Anyways with the 16th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Washington Wizards select Robert Smith from Bakersfield High School in Bakersfield Cailforina.”

*Later on*

“With the 17th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the New Orleans Hornets select Kirk Synder from the University of Nevada”

*Later on*
“With the 18th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Boston Celtics select Sebastian Telfair from Lincoln High School in Brooklyn New York.”

Michael Wilborn: Wow guys! I am shocked that Telfair someone I and many people had as a top 10 guy falls all the way to near pick 20 but I think the Celtics have gotten the steal of the draft!

Stephen A Smith: Yeah Mike he needs to work on his jumpshot but other than that yes I think this was a fine selection here by Boston and there is a lot of promise for him in the NBA.

*Later on*

“With the 19th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Philadelphia 76ers select Josh Smith from Oak Hill Academy from Mouth of Word Virginia.”

Michael Wilborn : I like this fit ya know? I think he will work well in the part of new coach Chris O Brien’s strategy and it will be interesting to see how he does there

Euro 2004 Quarterfinals
July 1, 2004: The quarterfinals of the Euros kick off, and it's France against Portugal. The game gets off to a hot start, as Nuno Gomes hits the post in the third minute. However, the match soon is a midfield battle with each team working to get a grip on the match. Portugal would maintain possession, and after 30 minutes, they have 73% possession. However, Portugal takes a bad corner, and France link up a wonderful passing play, with Lillian Thuram playing a quick pass to Patrick Vieira, who then played a beautiful chip ball to Thierry Henry, who simply had to tap the ball past Ricardo, which he did, giving France a 1-0 lead against the run of play. France quickly got a second goal, as Henry hit a nice shot from just inside the box, and France lead 2-0. The Portuguese were clearly getting flustered, and that lead to the final nail in their coffin. In the 77th minute, David Trezeguet gave a slight shove to Luis Figo while trying to keep the ball. Quickly after the ball is knocked out of bounds, Figo goes to Trezeguet and gives him a return shove. This escalates to Figo kicking out at Trezeguet, and he is given the red card, dooming Portugal. France fails to add onto their lead, but they don't concede any goals, so a 2-0 win is what they gain.

July 2, 2004: Sweden-Latvia. This is what is coming today. And it was unfortunate for the underdogs. After 5 minutes, Marians Pahars makes a poor tackle on Freddie Ljungberg, and he is sent off. Henrik Larsson strikes the amazing free kick, and it ends up in the net. Sweden scores a second goal, and it's the incredible Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who chips the keeper from 28 yards out. Sweden secures the victory, and Latvia and their great run are out, but the tournament sparks a football fever in the country, with many wanting to be just like their heroes they fell in love with in the summer of '04.

July 3, 2004: It's England-Spain, and it's gonna be a fun one. Or, at least, thats what everyone thought. England determined that no entertainment would be had, unless you're an Englishman. Michael Owen had a wonderful match, scoring three goals, all in the first half. Not only that, Steven Gerrard struck one of his own, giving England 4 goals in one half. Spain got the tiny consolation of a goal from Morientes, but Spain are out, and England are in the semifinals.

July 4, 2004: Italy and the Netherlands meet on American Independence Day, which nobody in Europe gave a shit about. Nobody in Europe gave a shit about the Italian performance, either. The Dutch dominate the entire match, but weren't able to capitalize for most of the match. However, right before extra time, Ruud Van Nistelrooy strikes a ball off the post and crosses the goal line to win the game for the Dutch. The stands erupt, leaving the fans in Orange in stunning excitement. The Quarterfinals end in some excitement, but the large majority of the round is boring. However, excitement has not dwindled for the Semifinals.

End of the 1st round
*Later on*
“With the 20th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Memphis Grizzlies select Pavel Podkolzin from Russia who last played for Metis Varese in Varase Italy.”

Mike Ticro: So we have the 3rd international center going in the top 20 of the 1st round of this NBA Draft quite interesting honestly

*Later on*

Ernie Johnson: So the Lakers have this pick from the Raptors from the Shaq trade and as the Lakers have the rest of the Raptors draft picks for this whole trade so let’s see what they do here

“With the 21st pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Los Angeles Lakers select Anderson Varejão from Colatina Brazil who last played for FC Barcelona in Barcelona Spain.”

Ernie Johnson: Wow! *laugh* our 4th international center and our 2nd center from Brazil the first being Rafael Araujo.

Stephen A Smith: Well he has a big role to fill now with the Lakers are he is gonna try to be that full time replacement for Shaq next season and that will be tough to follow but he doesn’t need to be like that to thrive with the team.

“Later on”

Jay Blias: I don’t mean to interrupt you Ernie but the Suns and Rockets are gonna swamp picks here at pick 22 and pick 23. Rockets are gonna be trading Steve Francis to Phoenix for this pick and Phoenix will be trading their 2005 and 2006 2nd round picks but this is the biggest deal of the night so far.

Stephen A Smith: Wow! Francis had not been getting along with with his Rocket teammates and coach and he finally finds his way out on draft night. Gonna be interesting to see what he does in Phoenix now.

Ernie Johnson: Well here is the Suns pick

“With the 22nd pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Phoenix Suns select Dorell Wright from South Kent High School in South Kent Connecticut.”

Ernie: So keep in mind as he greets himself with that Suns gear he doesn’t know yet he is being traded to the Rockets with the next pick

*Later on*

“With the 23rd pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Houston Rockets select Tony Allen from the University of Oklahoma State.”

Ernie Johnson: Like with Wright he won’t be greeted with that Rockets gear for long.

*Later on*

“We have a trade to announce the Phoenix Suns trade the draft rights of Dorell Wright and Steve Francis to the Houston Rockets for 2 future draft picks.
Anyways with the 24th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Detroit Pistons select Delonte West from Saint Joepsh’s University”

*Later on*
“With the 25th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the New Jersey Nets select David Harrison from the University of Colorado”

*Later on*
Ernie Johnson: Here comes the Lakers again with the 2nd pick of the night as they have 1 of their own next in the 2nd round and also one originally from the Toronto Raptors

“With the 26th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Los Angeles Lakers select Kevin Martin from the University of Western Carolina”

*Later on*
“With the 27th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Dallas Mavericks select Victor Khryapa from Kiev Ukraine who last played for CSKA Moscow in Moscow Russia.”

*Later on*
“With the 28th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Minnesota Timberwolves select Sasha Vujačić from Maribor Slovenia who last played with Pallalcesto Amatori Udine in Udine Italy.”

Mike Tirco: So now we get back to back players from Slovenia

*Later on*
“With the 29th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the San Antonio Spurs select Peter John Ramos from Fajardo, Puerto Rico who last played for Criollos de Caguas in Criollos Puerto Rio.”

*Later on*

Ernie Johnson: Well here is the final 1st round pick and the final draft pick what will be announced by David Stern as NBA Chief Executive Officer Adam Sliver will take over in the 2nd round

“With the 30th and final pick of the 1st round of the 2004 NBA Draft the NBA champion Sacramento Kings select Lionel Chambers from the University of Xavier. That concludes Round 1 of the draft.”

*Later on*
Ernie Johnson: Well that is the end of the 1st round of the 2004 NBA Draft and when we come back it’s the start of Round 2 but first I believe we have another trade Jay?

Jay Blias: Yeah Ernie the San Antonio Spurs are trading the draft rights to Peter John Ramos to the Dallas Mavericks for the draft rights to Victor Khryapa and a 2006 2nd round draft pick.

Ernie Johnson: Well then more about this after break.

Last edited:
Second Round NBA Draft
“ROUND 2 COVERAGE OF THE 2004 NBA DRAFT”

Ernie Johnson: Alright let’s go to Chief Executive Officer Adam Sliver as he will kick off the 2nd and final round of the draft

“Thank you! Anyways with the 31st pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Orlando Magic select Sergei Monia from Saratov Russia who last played for CSKA Moscow in Moscow Russia.”

Mike Tirco: So we had Monia’s teammate Victor Khryapa go in the late 1st round to the Dallas Mavericks but of course he had his draft rights traded to the Spurs so he is a matter there and speaking of which Jay I believe we have another trade?

Jay Blias: Yeah Mike Orlando and Cleveland are gonna swap these 2 picks and the Cavaliers are gonna trade Carlos Boozer to the Orlando Magic are gonna trade Tyronn Lue in return and future draft picks yet to be known.

Mike Trico: Wow so we heard rumors of Boozer going to Orlando and the rumors are confirmed here and he and whoever the Cavaliers draft here will be traded to Orlando soon.

Ernie Johnson: Always we have the next pick here which of course now will be the Cavaliers picking for the magic

“With the 32nd pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Cleveland Cavaliers select Ha Seung-jin from Seoul South Korea who last played for Yonsei University in Seoul South Carolina.”

Ernie Johnson: Well this is a historical pick as Seung-Jin is the first ever played from South Korea to be drafted to the NBA and while he was a standout High School basketball player there he only played 7 games at Yonsei University which was enough to attract NBA scouts and his journey’s next stop will be in Orlando after this trade them and Cleveland is complete.

Mike Tirco: Very interesting story there Ernie we wish the best for Jin and his NBA career.

*Later on*

“We have a trade to announce the Orlando Magic have traded the draft rights of the 31st pick Sergi Monia and Tryonn Lue to the Cleveland Cavaliers for the draft rights of the 32nd pick Ha Seung-jin and Carlos Boozer.
Anyways with the 33rd pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Atlanta Hawks select Beno Udirh from Celje Slovenia who last played for Briel Milano in Milan Italy.”

Ernie Johnson: That’s gotta be the 3rd or 4th Slovenian player taken in the last 10 picks and we kick off the 2nd round with 3 straight international players.

*Later on to the next notable draft pick*

Ernie Johnson: Alright Los Angeles is on the clock and this is the pick they got from Toronto and let see what they do here pick 38

“With the 38th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Los Angeles Lakers select Trevor Ariza from the University of California Los Angeles.”

Mike Ticro: The Lakers go local with the next pick and I believe this was the last player on the board that our own Chad Ford had as a 1st round grade on. He had Ariza as a late 1st round early 2nd round guy and he ends up staying in Los Angeles going to the Lakers at pick 38.

*Later on*

“With the 39th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Utah Jazz select Vassilis Spanoulis from Larrisa Greece who last played for Maroussi Basketball Club in Athens Georgia.”

Mike Tirco: You know several scouts told ESPN that he is the best prospect from the country of Greece and I think he could very well be the best find of this second round.
*Later on*

“With the 40th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Portland Trail Blazers select Albert Miralles from Baladona Spain who last played for the Roseto Sharks in Roseto Italy.”

*Later on to the next notable pick*

Ernie Johnson: Alright welcome back to the folks still watching we got 10 more picks and we began at pick 50 with the Los Angeles Lakers let’s see what they do with their 4th and final pick.

“With the 50th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Los Angeles select Romain Sato from the University of Xavier and the Central African Republic.”
*Later on*
“With the 51st pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Memphis Grizzlies select Luis Flores from the University of Manhattan and San Pedro de Macorís in the Dominican Republic.”

*Later on to the next notable picks*

Ernie Johnson: So 3 pick left in the draft and it will go pick 58 Dallas, pick 59 Sacramento and pick 60 the final pick Boston so here we go

“With the 58th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Dallas Mavericks select Marcus Douthit from the University of Providence”

*Later on*

“With the 59th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the Sacramento Kings select Rashad Wright from the University of Georgia.”
Ernie Johnson: And with that we are finally at the 60th and final pick of this NBA Draft and while we are sad to see this end we are very thankful you decided to tune on here for this 60 overall picks this is always fun to do and we thank the viewers first and foremost. Well here comes the last pick of the draft

“Before we announce the 60th and final pick in the 2004 NBA Draft we like to thank the fans of the NBA and the fans here at Madison Square Garden,
The people at ESPN for broadcasting this and the NBA for making this possible. And with that with the 60th and final pick in the 2004 NBA Draft the San Antonio Spurs select Serhiy Lishchuk from Rivne Ukraine and who last played for Khimik Basketball Club in Yuzhne Ukraine.
Thank you very much and good night!”

Ernie Johnson: There we go all 60 picks of the 2004 NBA Draft! For me and others at ESPN thank you tuning in with us tonight. Stay tuned for Sportscenter now with Scott Van Pelt and Trey Wingo.

Mj supporting DC, Weinke back home, A-Rod cooking
June 30th 2004: In a statement released by Michael Jordan who starts off joking that he would unretire for the 3rd time to come play for the new Charlotte Bobcats NBA team in which at the end of the joke he explains “Even if I could my body won’t let me” announced his full support to the move to bring a MLB expansion team to Washington DC.

July 1st 2004: Recently retired former Heisman trophy winning quarterback Chris Weinke announces he will join Florida State’s coaching staff as a graduate assistant

July 2nd 2004: White Sox slugger Alex Rodriguez continues his dominate year as he becomes the fastest player to get to 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases in a season. If this keeps up Rodriguez would end up with his 2nd 40/40 season in his career.

NHL Draft
June 26-28, 2004: NHL draft recap

Top 10 overall slections
Pick 1: Alexander Ovechkin (LW) - Columbus Blue Jackets
Pick 2: Cam Barker (D) - Chicago Blackhawks
Pick 3: Evgeni Malkin (C) - Calgary Flames
Pick 4: Blake Wheeler (RW) - Pittsburgh Penguins
Pick 5: Al Montoya (G) - Phoenix Coyotes
Pick 6: Andrew Ladd (LW) - Washington Capitals
Pick 7: Alexandre Picard (LW) - Carolina Hurricanes
Pick 8: Rostislav Olesz (C) - New York Rangers
Pick 9: Ladislav Smid (D) - Buffalo Sabres
Pick 10: Lauri Tokonen (RW) - Atlanta Thrashers

Other notable selections:
Devan Dubnyk (G) - Los Angeles Kings (12)
Cory Schneider (G) - Colorado Avalanche (24)
Mike Green (D) - Vancouver Canucks (29)
Brandon Dubinsky (C) - Ottawa Senators (55)
Alex Goligoski (D) - Tampa Bay Lightning (59)
David Krejci (C) - New Jersey Devils (62)
Alexander Edler (D) - Edmonton Oilers (86)
Anton Khudobin (G) - Boston Bruins (200)
Pekka Rinne (G) - Vancouver Canucks (256)
Mark Streit (D) - Chicago Blackhawks (261)

June 26-28, 2004: NHL draft recap

Top 10 overall slections
Pick 1: Alexander Ovechkin (LW) - Columbus Blue Jackets
Pick 2: Cam Barker (D) - Chicago Blackhawks
Pick 3: Evgeni Malkin (C) - Calgary Flames
Pick 4: Blake Wheeler (RW) - Pittsburgh Penguins
Pick 5: Al Montoya (G) - Phoenix Coyotes
Pick 6: Andrew Ladd (LW) - Washington Capitals
Pick 7: Alexandre Picard (LW) - Carolina Hurricanes
Pick 8: Rostislav Olesz (C) - New York Rangers
Pick 9: Ladislav Smid (D) - Buffalo Sabres
Pick 10: Lauri Tokonen (RW) - Atlanta Thrashers

Other notable selections:
Devan Dubnyk (G) - Los Angeles Kings (12)
Cory Schneider (G) - Colorado Avalanche (24)
Mike Green (D) - Vancouver Canucks (29)
Brandon Dubinsky (C) - Ottawa Senators (55)
Alex Goligoski (D) - Tampa Bay Lightning (59)
David Krejci (C) - New Jersey Devils (62)
Alexander Edler (D) - Edmonton Oilers (86)
Anton Khudobin (G) - Boston Bruins (200)
Pekka Rinne (G) - Vancouver Canucks (256)
Mark Streit (D) - Chicago Blackhawks (261)
Some really intriguing picks here. Obviously, Ovi to Columbus, and Malkin to Calgary. But also, the Avalanche getting their replacement for Roy, Krecji joining those strong Devils squads of the era, and the Canucks nailing the draft with Mike Green and Pekka Rinne, who is just too good right now. Also, Chicago missing out on Malkin, Wheeler, and Ladd must sting.

Sterling out (thank god)
July 3, 2004: Following some delay and many rounds of voting, the NBA owners vote to expel Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling by a unanimous 29-0 vote. This officially means the Clippers are now for sale. Sterling plans to file a lawsuit against the NBA in retaliation.

TO talking, Tom at camp, MLB All-Star news, Eddie George returns
July 1st 2004: Vikings head coach Mike Tice apologizes for TO’s recent ramblings at a practice a couple days playing adding “Mr Owens has had good chemistry with the team and those remarks to show that he was excited to be on a new team and that he didn’t mean no harm.” He has added that he doesn’t worry about Owens presence in the locker room.

July 3rd 2004: Quarterback Tom Brady practices the first time as a member of the Miami Dolphins

July 4th 2004: The 2004 MLB All Star teams are announced with White Sox shortstop Alex Rodriguez and Mariners right fielder Ichiro getting the most votes on the AL side with Giants left fielder Barry Bonds and Marlins catcher Ivan “Pudge” Rodriguez getting the most votes on the NL side.

Cubs pitcher Tim Hudson gets the stating pitcher role for the NL team and soon to be 42 year old Yankees pitcher Roger Clemens for the AL side who has been hot since late May and early June after a rocky start.

July 5th 2004: Super Bowl 38 MVP running back Eddie George who retired shortly after the Titans Super Bowl victory in February announces that he will unretire to play with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2004 close to where he played College Football and won the Heisman at in Ohio State hoping to be a mentor to rookie running back Steven Jackson.

George says that the decision was tough but he was inspired by Deion Sanders unretirting to join the Falcons back in the offseason to make this decision.