An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

5th of September, 1523.
  • Zaragoza, Aragon. 5th of September, 1523.

It took a few days for Anne to gather up the courage to confront Germana de Foix.

She knew she was without allies at court. To go alone in the small household of the vicereine of Valencia would certainly end in her loss, as the woman had been in Charles’ life for much longer than she had. For goodness’ sake, they had a child together, a child older than her Felipe, a child Germana dared to call an infanta. Infanta. Daughter of the King.

She was shameless. For once, Anne wished she had not sent her brother away. George would certainly be on her side. He would help her in this. She wished George was with her, at least so she had a friend, an ally. Since Charles and she had that fight, Anne had been feeling as lonely as she ever did.

One reprieve she had was that the gossip around her was fixed to the idea that her argument with Charles had been based on him inviting his old mistress/stepgrandmother to court, a thought that brought her a disgusted shudder whenever she dwelled on it. None knew of her books on the reformation and at long last, some of the ladies even looked at her with pity and sympathy. Some too had unfaithful husbands with bastards running around their castles.

But she was still alone. The hours she did not spend at mass or exercising her Castillian, she spent in Felipe’s nursery. He was around five months now and seemed bigger than ever, large and growing on her arms. He had her dark hair and Charles’ blue eyes, with a pronounced pouty lower lip. Felipe couldn’t do much at the moment, like walk or talk, but he had just started laughing and his giggles lit up an entire room.

She visited him in the morning after mass and kissed his sweet little face, pressing her hands to his hair. He tried to grab her necklace and her hat, which was pinned to her hair, laughing at her. Anne kissed his chubby cheeks and handed him back to his nurses, before walking alone to where she needed to go.

Germana de Foix curtsied when she stepped inside, holding her hands in front of her stomach. Her little daughter was by her side, still wearing an extremely expensive blue dress. When Anne looked at Isabel now, more focused and attentive, knowing what she was looking for, she could see how much she looked like her father. Isabel had Charles’ dark hair and her chin was slightly deformed, protruding forward like his was. There was even some of Felipe in her, from the form of her hands to the curve of her neck, and that almost made Anne weep.

But she didn’t. She bit the inside of her cheek and turned back to Doña Germana. She was supposed to be leaving for Valencia in the following days, but had asked to remain in court for a little while longer, having missed Aragon in the years she spent at the court of her husband’s cousin. Charles was only too glad to permit her request.

“Your Majesty,” said Germana with a hint of poison underneath her words, “How can I help you?”

Anne said nothing. She looked at Isabel again. “Your daughter is very beautiful,” she said instead. It was a lie. Despite her grace and good manners, Isabel was not truly beautiful and Anne didn’t think she would ever be so. There was something in her chin and her protruding eyes that made her rather ugly.

Germana smiled. “Thank you, Your Majesty,” she said, “I believe she takes after her grandmother, Queen Juana.”

Queen Juana was a beautiful woman with clear blue eyes and red hair, even after years in confinement at Tordesillas. Anne saw nothing of her in her granddaughter, except maybe in the shade of blue of her eyes, but it could honestly be anything.

“If you say so,” said Anne. She pushed her shoulders back, determined to do what she had come here to do, “Have you no shame? He was your husband’s grandson.”

Germana’s smile dropped, then came back, full of disdain. She had one of her attendants take her daughter out of the room and dismissed the others. When they were alone, Germana turned to her with anger and offence clear on her face.

“He was the King,” she answered, “It’s very hard to deny a king such as him, as Your Majesty can surely agree.”

“Your husband was not even cold in his grave,” continued Anne. That was the part that most bothered her. Germana had shared a life with King Ferdinand for years, but it did not take long for her to warm his grandson’s bed once he was dead, “He made you a queen.”

“He made me hated,” said Germana, “He married me solely to keep Aragon out of Charles’ hands, though our son died before he could live to be king. That did not please anyone. Queen Isabella had been beloved, adored. I was her replacement and I came up lacking.”

“So, because of it, you got into bed with the new king?”

“Not really,” said Germana, “You should’ve seen Charles when he arrived here for the first time. Only seventeen and so eager. He wanted to please me, as his grandfather had requested him to take care of me in his will. He did.”

“I know how well he took care of you,” murmured Anne. She was disgusted by Germana, appalled by the way she spoke of things. Before her, there was no Vicereine of Valencia, but instead, a common whore.

Germana smiled. “We understood each other, him and I. Two foreigners in Spain, young and passionate. It was only too easy for us to comfort each other.”

“You were his grandfather’s widow,” said Anne, “By canon law, you are his grandmother.” To know that her husband laid with his own grandmother disgusted her. She thought she no longer knew just whom had she married.

“I was his beloved, his uncrowned queen,” replied Germana. She arched an eyebrow, “Charles promised he would marry me, did you know that? He said he would find a way to do so, even threatened to break with the Church to have me. After he promised me, we consummated our relationship and conceived our daughter based on our future marriage.”

Anne stepped back.

“Some would say that such a promise in such circumstances is binding,” continued Germana, “Which makes me the rightful Empress and my daughter the true Infanta, while your boy is only a bastard who calls himself an Archduke.”

She did not hold herself. Anne slapped her, high and quick on her cheek. Germana turned her face and brought a hand to her cheek, cradling the bruised flesh. The Empress took a deep breath and willed herself to calm down while holding herself back from hitting the vicereine again.

“Tomorrow, you and your bastard will leave this palace,” she said, her voice wavering with her emotions.

Anne left her then, shaking. She crossed the corridors outside of Germana’s rooms, breathing hard, unable to calm down. She walked and walked until she was lost, unable to discern the stones around her from the stones in her heart. Her knees buckled and Anne lifted a hand, almost falling into the wall.

Then, her stomach rumbled and she retched, throwing up her meagre breakfast onto the floor. Her throat burned, aching and she pressed a hand to her belly, feeling the hard mass right underneath her navel.

She wanted to cry. She wanted to scream. It was too soon, and too late.

6th of September, 1523.
  • Zaragoza, Aragon. 6th of September, 1523.

Charles found Anne in his bedroom.

She was seated on his bed, back turned to him. He could see she was wearing a simple blue dress, one he recognized from her time in England, and her dark hair was cascading down her back. He saw her shoulders tensing up as he stepped inside, noticing his presence. Charles sighed.

A part of him was tired of this pretence. Of them dancing around the subject, never willing to talk about. Another, however, was only too scared to hear what she had to say to him. He remembered the book he found in her rooms, the book he was too hesitant to burn if he hadn’t been afraid of her reaction should he do it.

He looked at his wife. Or at her back. He still needed time to think. To think about what he had seen, what he had learned. He missed the old days of their marriage, the ship that took them to Spain. He missed her laugh, her eyes, her touch. He missed everything and it was because of him that they did not have that anymore.

Anne turned slightly to look at him, only showing her profile. He saw her long and thin nose and her soft chin. He wanted to kiss that chin.

“I met with Queen Germana yesterday,” she said, pausing along with her words as if she was unable to say them, “She showed me her daughter.” Anne turned fully then, bringing one leg over the bed and looking at him directly. Her eyes were blazing with fury or sadness, but he couldn’t say which, “Your daughter.”

“Idle gossip,” he responded, “Germana played a joke and people did not know how to react.” He sighed, “She has told me that you attempted to expel her from the palace. That will not happen again. There is still a week before she leaves and you will apologize to her.”

“You want me to apologize to the woman you are making love to?”

Charles sighed. She could be so frustrating sometimes. “I am not making love to her.”

“But you did, did you not?” she accused in a shout, “I saw the proof, walking around. She even has your chin.”

Anne moved, her face coming in contact with the light provided by the candles, and he saw that her cheeks were wet. She had been crying. Somehow, that knowledge twisted something in his heart. She crawled the rest of the bed and came up close to him, putting her feet delicately on the floor.

“You slept with your own grandmother,” she murmured, her words heavy with anger, hatred and love. Charles looked away as if she had slapped him with her sayings. It was a full minute before he looked back at her. Anne arched an eyebrow, challenging him, “You slept with the widow of your grandfather and you are shameless.”

“Anne,” he said, “You don’t understand.”

“Explain it to me,” she dared, “Explain to me how that can make sense.” Anne stood up and walked close to him, her face so near his that their lips brushed and their breaths mingled, “Germana told me that you promised to marry her. That your daughter was conceived on such a promise, meaning she is legitimate, whereas my children are only bastards.”

“What do you want me to say?” he asked, “Do you want me to lie and say that I did not promise her such? I cannot. It’s true.” He sighed, “Adrian of Utrecht convinced me not to do so before he ascended to the papacy. I arranged Germana a marriage and sent her way.”

Anne placed her two hands on his chest and pushed him with such force that he stepped back, unbalanced. Charles swayed before he shifted his feet around, coming up tall before her. He stared at her.

“You are my wife,” he said, “From the day we married in England and to the day I die, you are my wife. Felipe is and always will be my heir.”

She ignored his words. “How many more bastards do you have?”

“Anne…”

“Tell me!” she demanded as tears streamed down her cheeks. Anne was speaking so loudly that he thought anyone in the palace would be able to hear her. For some reason, he did not care, “How many more bastards do you have? How many more illegitimate children should I expect from my lecherous husband?”

“Four, counting Isabel,” he said.

She slapped him. Charles’ head whipped away as his cheek burned, smarting under her violent touch. He brought a hand to his face. “You are a weak and shameless excuse of a man,” said Anne, “Could you not maintain your chastity and virtue, as I did for you? Could you not have invited your mistress back, along with her daughter, to parade them in front of me?”

“Valencia needed a vicereine and Germana is familiar with the government,” he answered, “I had no choice.”

She slapped him again, this time on the other cheek. “You had every choice!” screamed the Empress. Anne fisted her hands and hit them against his chest, over and over, crying and screaming, “Where is your honour? Where is your stupid honour?” He tried to grab hold of her arms, or her elbows, trying to still her movements, but she continued, slapping him away, “You bastard! I gave you everything, I left my home and my family for you! Where is your honour?” Charles struggled to calm her as she continued to hit him, crying and sobbing. He wrapped his two arms around her and pulled her close, pressing her so tightly against him that she could not move, “Where is your love for me?”

“It’s here,” he whispered. Charles pressed his lips against hers, “I love you, Anne. Truly. I do.”

She sobbed, their lips still together. He could taste her salty tears. He pulled her closer even, placing her head against his shoulder as they embraced, arms tight around each other, not wanting to let go.

“I’m with child again,” she whispered weakly, staining his doublet with her tears.

Charles felt his heart race. “I’m sorry,” he answered in return.

“Sorry? What for?” she asked him, pulling herself from his chest. Her bleary eyes met his clear ones and he swallowed down the need to kiss, “What is done is done. Now you must fix it."

"How shall I do that?" he asked.

"Never leave my side again," she begged, reaching out to clutch his shirt. "Do not leave me."

He wanted to say that he wouldn’t. To pull her close and kiss her with a promise that they would never be apart. For as long as they lived, they would be together.

But he couldn’t.

“France has declared war against my brother-in-law for Milan,” he said, “As their ally, we must defend them against the French invaders. I have just returned from a council of war.”

“You will go to Italy?” asked Anne, still in his arms, “You will leave me and our children?”

“I will come back,” he said, “But I don’t rule just Spain. Francis might try to take Naples for himself, once he is done with Milan. I can’t let that happen.”

“Will you come back to see the birth?” He did not answer her. His silence was enough. Anne stepped back and he let her, “So you will leave me alone in a country that hates me?”

“If I want our son to rule someday, I must defend his future territories with all that I have,” said Charles, “You are still Queen of Castile and León, and Queen of Aragon. You will be well cared for.”

“Am I to be your regent?” she asked, a hand on her lip and another on her flat stomach.

Charles hesitated. “No,” he said, “The Duke of Alba will have the honour.” Then, as she turned her face away, he said, “But I have left clear instruction that Felipe is to remain in your custody. With the heir to the throne under your eye, you will have as much power as the regent.”

She nodded. “I hope to return to Toledo,” she said, “Before my belly grows too large. The Castilians are kinder to me than the Aragonese.”

He nodded. "I will make the necessary arrangements," he said. Thus, he brokered an agreement with her more like business partners than husband and wife.

15th of September, 1523.
  • Vienna, Austria. 15th of September, 1523.

Despite the merry atmosphere around him, Ferdinand Habsburg, Archduke of Austria is not happy. At all.

The feast had been an insistence made by his wife after she learned of his correspondence with the Duke of Württemberg, a correspondence he only reluctantly allowed to happen, and the man’s desire to visit all of Germany, leaving his own holding to his advisors. She wanted to welcome the Empress’ brother well, lest he told his sister that they were not cordial to him and she, in return, complained to her husband, Ferdinand’s brother and the Emperor.

And so, here they were, hosting a man that had been until not very long before, the son of a mere knight in England. While Ferdinand might have been willing to overlook that had the situation been different and his rise to power was entirely on account of his own actions, the fact that he has to thank Anne Boleyn for it infuriates him. He won a crown not for his own merit, but for his sister's success in the birthing bed.

More else, infuriated Ferdinand above all else was how damned charming the Englishman was. The Empress’ younger brother endlessly smiled, heartily laughing as if life were some grand game and not a struggle for power and security. Perhaps worst of all was Anna. She had approached the young man with cool courtesy and it hardly took him a matter of minutes to coax a smile to her lips. Within an hour, he had her laughing. And at the supper table, the two were talking at length as if they were old friends. And every now and then, George Boleyn’s eyes met Ferdinand’s and he flashed him that smile, the same smile he gave his wife, and hadn’t given to anyone else in the room.

He was handsome, funny and charming. When he approached Ferdinand and Anna, he did so with a smile, murmuring about the love he already felt of them as their kin, even if at a distance.

As Ferdinand fumed, he saw George pull Anna into a dance, moving expertly, laughing in a carefree and relaxed way. Anna too laughed, blonde curls bouncing under her headdress. Ferdinand felt the need to cross his arms like a petulant child, watching them, his heart twisting in sadness and betrayal.

George would stay for a while in Vienna, as Anna had decided to arrange his marriage with one of her ladies, and then, they would leave for Italy. He and Ferdinand, along with their armies, as Charles had requested both of their help to defeat the French. Ferdinand was not looking forward to that at all.

1st of October, 1523.
  • Hever Castle, England. 1st of October, 1523.

Isabella had been in England for nearly a month and she had yet to see her lord and husband.

At first, tradition kept them apart. A bride can only see her groom when it was time for them to be wed, Isabella knew that even though her heart longed for her eyes to be set upon him. Then, sweating sickness broke out near London and court was disbanded, leaving both her and the King away from each other for fear of either catching illness.

Now, though the court had been recalled for three days, no rider had come to let them know that they were to prepare for His Majesty's imminent arrival. Isabella thought she would die from the wait.

"He doesn't like me," she told her ladies, Leonor de Mascarenhas and Margarida de Mendonça. It was early in the afternoon and they were supposed to be sewing clothes for the poor, as that was all they could do. "The King. He has changed his mind. He no longer wants this marriage. He will…" He will soon send us back to Portugal. If he did, Isabella would die. She could not bear to be humiliated in such a way. Not again. Not after the Emperor.

She was standing by the window, watching the entrance of the castle King Henry gave it to her at their wedding. Though people passed by, none did enter through the front door. No riders came, no messengers. No Kings.

Tears bubbled in her eyes. I should have said no, she thought, crying, I should have told João a king was not enough for me. I should have joined a convent as I intended to.

"He has not," said Leonor. She set her sewing aside and came up to stand beside Isabella, placing a bold hand on her shoulder. "He has his reasons, Your Majesty. You mustn't worry."

"How can I not worry?" she asked, planting a hand over her head. "The King does not wish to see me. He does not like me."

"Of course His Majesty likes you," said Margarida, also standing up. "The Queen is a beautiful and lovely woman, clever and pious. You are perfect. What is there not to like?"

"Then, why hasn't he come?" she asked. "Why are we not yet married before the eyes of his people? Why…" The words die in her throat because a group of riders appear, riding hard in the direction of Hever Castle. Her heart lodged in her throat and she stopped moving, leaning forward to see more intently.

There were three riders, with the one in the middle slightly ahead of the others. None of them look like they could be a King and her heart stopped for a brief second. It wasn't him.

But they still looked highborn and she stepped away from the window, cleaning her tears. Isabella sat back on her armchair, picking up her embroidery hoop. She had to appear calm, nonchalant. Unbothered.

It took a while before the riders finally reached her room and they were not announced, letting her know they were very important. Isabella stood up when they arrived and offered them her hand to kiss, as their Queen.

There were three men, one slightly shorter than the other two. She greeted first the one on the left, a tall and large gentleman with dark eyes and a full brown beard. The companion beside him was taller yet and even larger, with clear blue eyes and auburn hair. He hesitated to kiss her hand, but did so at long last, bowing a little. He was very handsome but, as a married woman, Isabella did not let herself admire him. The last man was clearly younger, with a clean face and a kind smile. After he kissed her hand, Isabella stepped back.

“Good men,” she starts. “Although you certainly know who I am, I do not know who you three are. Please, tell me your names so we may be acquainted.

The one on the left was the first to speak. “I am Charles Brandon, Your Majesty.”

She knew the name. “My lord of Suffolk.” He smiled and nodded.

Before she could turn to the next one over, his companion on the right spoke, “I’m William Carey, my Queen.”

This name she did not know and so Isabella smiled kindly at him, before turning to the one in the middle. “And you, good sir? Who are you?”

He was speechless and she raised her eyebrow, waiting for him to compose himself. He did so after a minute, and bowed again, taking her hand in his. Isabella exchanged a look with her ladies, slightly nervous. “I am Sir Hal Fitzroy, Your Majesty.”

“Fitzroy?” Isabella asked and he nodded, standing up. She could feel everyone’s eyes on her.

She knew what the name meant. Her brother had asked the servants of the English ambassador at his court to teach her all they could about King Henry and his country. Fitzroy meant son of a king, but it was used more often to refer to bastards. She looked at Charles Brandon and William Carey. Then she looked back at Sir Hal.

"Tell me, Sir Hal, do you know the king? Are you related to him?" she asked and he nodded. Isabella pulled him away from his companions, bringing him closer to the window. “May I ask something of you, Sir? Something very important?”

“Of course, my lady." He nodded again, seemingly sheepish at her request.

"I have something to give the Princesses and the Prince," Isabella started. Her eyes met Leonor's and nodded, letting her know that she was to bring the gifts over. "But I have yet to be given the honour of meeting them. Can I trust you to see them delivered?"

His cheeks flushed and she knew he was not expecting that from her.

"Of course, Your Majesty," he said. "You can trust me."

14th of October, 1523.
  • Somewhere on the outskirts of Milan. 14th of October, 1523.

All around him, there was death.

Charles could smell it, taste it. As he struggled to walk closer, his legs aching, he saw as his soldiers, led on by Antonio de Leyva, checked on each and every lying body, seeing those who were dead and those who were not. The few lucky enough to be of importance and high birth were kept alive and imprisoned, to be ransomed later. The unlucky ones… Charles shifted his head away, unable to see it.

It was a victory, but not definite. Milan was still suffering invasions from the French, his territories in Burgundy were not yet won back, and the enemy still laid undefeated. Charles clicked his tongue, disappointed.

He climbed up on his horse and returned to the camp that had been set up after their victory on the outskirts of the battle, near a nunnery that stood close by. There, in the main tent, he found the Duke of Milan, standing over a sprawled map. Beside him, stood Ferdinand and George, Charles’ brother and brother-in-law respectively. Not all of them had participated in the battle, and yet they were all wearing armour, lest there be a surprise attack on the imperial camp by French forces. The chainmail rubbed against his neck, bothering him intently.

“Francis was seen here,” Francesco Sforza said, pointing to a place on the map. “But he is gone. I thought for sure he’d be here.”

“He is likely to go to Savoy for reinforcements,” said George Boleyn, the Duke of Württemberg, and Charles saw the look of disbelief Francesco threw at him as if he was surprised the son of a knight was speaking to him. “It’s where his mother is from.”

“The Duke of Savoy is her half-brother and for all accounts, they barely know each other,” murmured Ferdinand, who was quick to disagree with George in everything he said. “I doubt there is any sense of familial loyalty there.”

“Carlo di Savoia is married to our cousin, Beatriz of Portugal,” said Charles, coming closer. They looked up at him, finally realizing his presence. “Perhaps we can find a way to use her to win him to our side.”

“I can’t see how,” Ferdinand responded. As the Emperor’s brother, he was allowed to speak frankly to him. “We never met Beatriz and Portugal is neutral, as is England.”

“We will bring them over to our fold,” Charles said. On the map, there were various wood disks and pieces painted with the symbols of different houses and kingdoms, indicating the various players of the war. Over Portugal, there was only one disk, with the Portuguese red wyvern painted on, not moving at all across their borders. Charles picked it up. “I have a son. João has a daughter.”

“Joana.” Ferdinand nodded. “But João is likely to still be upset with your union to the Empress, brother. It’s possible he will not accept it.”

“Leonor will convince him to. She is loyal to her own family,” Charles said, without any doubt that his sister would do as he wanted her to. “And if she doesn’t, we’ll sweeten the deal. The Empress is pregnant again. If this baby is a girl, then we will make her Queen of Portugal. It will bring the Aviz even closer to the line of succession, just as they always wanted.”

Ferdinand nodded again, but before he can say anything, the sound of a galloping horse came close. They stopped what they were doing and filtered out of the tent, coming to see a man atop a black mare, wearing the colours of Sforza.

“What is it, good man? Pray tell me!” said Francesco and Charles remembered his sister Catalina, heavy with child inside the city of Milan, suffering through a siege that was yet unbroken. With the commotion, more and more of the resting soldiers come out to see what is going on.

“The Duchess has given birth!” the man announced, voice clear and high. “It’s a boy!”

Cheers erupt from the camp, at last, joyous news, and Charles clapped Francesco behind his back, pulling him in for a hug.

“Congratulations, brother,” he said. “What will you call him?”

“Ludovico,” Franceso answered. “After my father.”

Charles nodded. He tried not to feel disappointed that his nephew was not named after him. He tried and failed.

Last edited:
    1st of November, 1523.
  • Lisbon, Portugal. 1st of November, 1523.

"Two knaves," Beatriz de Vilhena announced, setting her cards down. It was quiet in the antechamber of the Queen’s apartments, as most ladies either sewed or played cards while the Queen slept. For herself, Beatriz could barely pay attention to the game, too distracted with the thoughts of the woman inside the great chamber, shivering in her bed even with all of the blankets they laid atop her. She could not help the worry that was deep in her heart, the fear of what could happen.

The Queen had not been well since the death of her firstborn, the Infanta Maria, and had been crying much as of late, as well as praying almost hourly. Beatriz was afraid she had become sick in the head, like her mother, whom everyone called Juana la Loca. Joana, a Louca, in Portuguese, and there were significant fears for it, especially by the older women in and around the Portuguese court.

She wouldn’t pay attention even if she tried to. Her thoughts kept drifting to the Queen and the child slumbering in her belly, the child that might make or break her mind. All of Her Majesty’s ladies prayed for a son to secure the succession and fill the hole that Infanta Maria had left behind, though everyone knew that would be impossible. You couldn’t replace a child with another. Not even a girl with a boy, as everyone thought it would go.

"Two queens and a king," Joana de Mendoça responded, displaying her own hand. Like Beatriz, she was merely going through the motions of playing cards, scarcely paying attention to the game.

"You won," Beatriz murmured, but Joana barely listened to what she said.

They weren't playing for money, or for favours. It was merely a way of passing the time until their mistress awoke, one of the few quiet pastimes available to them besides reading or needlework. The ladies who had opted for the latter were no more successful at distracting themselves from their worries than Beatriz and Joana were and it was doubtful that they produced anything fit to be used by the baby. But, at the same time, it would have been worse if they had had nothing with which to occupy themselves, nothing to do but wait and worry.

That day, the Queen had visited Infanta Maria's grave and she had not managed to stand there for even five minutes before she collapsed into tears. Guards had to return her to her chambers and even the King was called, to see if he could calm her down. The Queen had been sleeping in a feverish and often-interrupted sleep ever since.

Joana glanced back in the direction of the Queen's bedchamber and then leaned forward, her voice hushed as she asked, "Do you think I should go in and see her?"

"No," Beatriz responded immediately. "Let her sleep."

If she could sleep, if she could rest calmly and try to forget about what had happened, then there was still hope. The more she slept, the more she ate, the less she prayed and worried, then the better.

Though the succession was not rested solely on this one baby, and Beatriz thanked the Virgin daily for it, there was still hope for a spare in case Prince Afonso suffered an accident. Besides, a new baby was sure to assuage some of the pain in the Queen’s heart, who still suffered daily for the early of her daughter.

It would all be well. It would all be...

A loud wail of mingled pain and fear interrupted these hopeful thoughts and Beatriz and Joana were on their feet in an instant, hurrying into the next room with their fellow ladies-in-waiting hard on their heels.

"What is it, Your Majesty?" Joana asked urgently. In her chest, she hoped that it might be a false alarm caused by a nightmare, or a minor injury or something, but it disappeared quickly when she saw her Queen kneeling on the large, carved bed, crying out as she touched her bloodstained shift. "The baby!"

"My boy!" Leonor's fear and anguish were etched on her face. It was as if she was feeling her daughter’s loss all over again as her son too soon, awfully too soon, wished to come into the world. There were still three weeks until the predicted date and the sheets were quickly stained with blood.

"Get some help!" Joana called the order to nobody in particular and one of the ladies fled, seeking a physician, a midwife, anybody who might be able to stop it.

"No, no, no, no, no, no!" Leonor sobbed as she clutched her abdomen, pressing a hand between her legs in a desperate attempt to staunch the flow of blood, falling to her side and summoning every ounce of determination she possessed to keep her child rooted in her womb. Desperate and salty tears ran down her face, her heart and entire body aching in waves as her labour was kickstarted.

It was too soon. It was far too soon.

--

Labour lasted for hours and Leonor cried throughout all of it, sobbing and hiccuping loudly as the midwives, the physician and her ladies urged her to push. João paced and walked the antechamber, listening in to everything. He observed quietly as helpers came and went, carrying sheets stained with blood out and jars of boiling water in.

“I should go to her,” he murmured. Every time his wife screamed, he had half a mind to punch a wall in retaliation. It angered him, ached him. He wanted to be with her, but he couldn’t.

“What would you do to help?” Henrique, his brother asked. He had been the only one of João’s brothers brave enough to stay in the antechamber with him. The others all tried to convince him to do something else, to drink, to play, to listen, to try and take his mind off of the matter, and João only dismissed them all. “The Queen has her attendants.”

“I’m her husband, the father of her child, I should be…” Helping? Watching? João didn’t know.

Before he could figure it out, Leonor’s grunts of pain stopped and a hearty infant’s cry echoed out of her rooms and into the antechambers. João stopped his pacing and walked in the direction of the double door leading to her room.

A hand on his arm stopped him.

“You can’t go to her,” said Henrique. “Not until you are called.”

“Unhand your King at once!” João demanded in response. When he did, he shook off his brother and resumed his way to Leonor’s bedroom.

The doors opened to him and the people inside bowed in reverence of their King, though he barely took note of them. His eyes were led to the bed, where a sweaty and flushed Leonor sat, a large smile on her face. João stepped closer and saw it, the little red bundle in her arms, a spindly arm waving out.

“Leonor…” he whispered and she looked up, noticing his presence.

“It’s a boy,” she sniffed out. He extended his hands to her and she hesitated, before putting the baby on his arms, adjusting the cloth around him as she did.

When he looked at his new son, João saw that he had Maria’s nose and her chin, as well as her cheeks. He also had a fine weight on his arms, hale and healthy and when he opened his little eyes, João saw that they were as blue as Leonor’s. Tears strummed down his face and he pressed a shaky kiss to his son’s forehead.

For the first time in many months, all seemed well in the world.

Last edited:
    2nd of November, 1523.
  • Richmond Palace, England. 2nd of November, 1523.

The King was nervous.

Isabella could see it in his eyes, the way he stood, checking the door every few minutes. He was nervous about what was to happen. He was very nervous.

The idea of it made her almost smile. From the stories told by her brother’s English ambassador, the King of England seemed a strong and confident man who ruled his lands with an iron fist. Certainly, he tried to convey that image, though she had quickly learned that the person underneath him was still very much the little boy hiding under his father’s large shadow, too scared to speak something wrong lest he be punished. This endeared him to her, made her feel more at ease.

A month before, she had met him in secret as Sir Hal Fitzroy, who came to look at her without the constraints of an official meeting. A week after that, they were married in Westminster Abbey, with a long and rather pleasurable consummation afterwards. Though the King has yet to come out of his shell near her, Isabella liked to think he liked her already. She was his Queen, the new mother of his children, and they were a family.

As her husband paced and walked the length of her chambers, nervous, she stood up and came up to his side. Boldly, Isabella laced their fingers together, smiling. “I’m so nervous,” she murmured, though she wasn’t. She thought it would help him calm down if he thought she was as anxious about the matter as he was. If he could comfort her before she could comfort him.

King Henry let out a visible breath, his shoulders relaxing. “Don’t be,” he said, “You have nothing to worry about.”

“What if they don’t like me?” she whispers.

He brought her hand to his lips for a kiss. “There is not a bone in you worthy of dislike, my dear.” Her cheeks flushed and she smiled.

The doors to her room opened and one of her English ladies stepped in, curtsying when she saw the royal couple. It was Maud Parr, who had once served as one of her aunt’s ladies, and who Isabella had insisted on serving her as well.

“They have arrived, Your Majesties,” said Maud and Henry nodded, waving to send them in.

Minutes passed where they did nothing, only staring at each other and Isabella smiling. He was so shy, so withdrawn. It made her want to coax him out with kisses and embraces, though they couldn’t do such a thing then, considering who they were soon to meet.

Then, when the wait almost became too much, the doors opened again and three women came in inside. The first held the hand of a very small little girl, while the door two held two babies in their arms, bouncing their little bodies to keep them quiet.

Henry took her hand and led her to them, smiling wide. “Dear Isabella, may I introduce you to those whom you will have to share my heart with: my children,” he said, happiness clear in his voice. “Princesses Mary and Katherine and my pride and joy, Prince John."

Isabella’s eyes naturally went to the eldest. Princess Mary made a curtsy for her father, though her face kept its seriousness. She was wearing a green dress with white ribbons, the Tudor colours, and a red French hood over her auburn hair. Her eyes were of a deep blue and she had ruddy cheeks, a trait inherited from her father.

Then she looked at the babies, the twins, John and Katherine. Though they were born at the same time, John was significantly larger than Katherine, whom everyone said was rather sickly. Whereas John was chubby and healthy around the cheeks and belly, Katherine seemed awfully small, with blue shadows around her eyes, as if she had not slept well. The Queen’s heart broke at the sight.

The twins both had their father’s and sister’s red hair, though Katherine’s fell in pretty ringlets around her face whereas her brother’s had rather straight locks, falling into his eyes. John’s eyes were lively sky blue, while his sister’s were significantly darker, giving her a more interesting look, in Isabella’s opinion. They gurgled when they saw her, being too young to speak or do much, but a smile cut Katherine’s pink lips and she extended her hands forward, wanting to grab something of Isabella.

It was with much reluctance that she did not pick up the little girl and instead, turned her eyes to her oldest stepdaughter, who was still in a curtsy to the King. Isabella smiled and said, “Oh, aren’t you beautiful, Your Highness? And your dress is so well-made. I must have something done in its likeness, so we may match.” Though her English was not as it could be, Isabella was rather proud of not fumbling over her words and looked at Mary with eager anticipation.

But when she looked at her new stepmother, Mary did not share any of her enthusiasm. Her face was completely blank, serious. It made her pause.

“Mary,” Henry said. “Your mother has said something to you. Answer her.”

Princess Mary crossed her arms and tilted her chin up. The lady by her side, whom Isabella noticed to be her governess, Lady Salisbury, pulled her hand. “Princess Mary, answer the Queen!”

“She is not the Queen!” Mary responded in a shriek, crossing her arms again. “And she is not my mother!”

Henry’s face flushed red and Isabella put a hand to her mouth, shocked. She looked at her ladies, Maud in particular, hoping to have misunderstood the English. But the expression on Lady Parr’s face tells her what she needs to know.

“Mary,” the King said again, careful. “Apologize to your mother in this instant or I swear…”

Mary did not allow him to continue, interrupting him with a shout, “She is not my mother! I want my real mother! I want Queen Catherine!” Lady Salisbury pulled her hand again, but Mary, with red cheeks, stomped on her foot. Though the princess was rather small, Lady Salisbury gasped as did Isabella, shocked at what was happening, though the Lady Salisbury did nothing to nurse her certainly aching foot, mindful of the King’s presence.

“Mary!” Henry admonished and his daughter didn’t even look at him as she turned to run away. Before she could, however, Henry let go of Isabella’s hand and picked her up easily, hands on her arms. He set her on the ground and picked up her hand, shaking it slightly. “Apologize to Lady Salisbury and your mother, now!”

“No!” Mary repeated. The twins, scared at their sister’s antics, widened their eyes and began to cry.

Henry’s face flushed, but as he opened his mouth to speak, Lady Salisbury stepped in and picked up Mary’s other hand, “Your Majesty, I beg for forgiveness for the Princess’ behaviour. Please, she is nothing like this.”

“No, she isn’t,” Henry agreed, looking up at Isabella for barely a second before returning his eyes to his daughter. “Remove her from my sight immediately. I find myself unable to look at someone who has so offended me.” He let go of his daughter’s hand and stepped back next to Isabella, breathing harshly.

“No!” Mary cried, as Lady Salisbury began to pull her away. “No! I hate her! I will not apologize! I hate her!”

Last edited:
    15th of November, 1523.
  • City of Milan, Milan. 15th of November, 1523.

“Ferdinand!”

He turned at the sound of his name being called, but when he saw who was calling him, Ferdinand shifted on the heels of his feet and turned back to where he was walking, away from the room and away from him.

“Ferdinand!” He heard the other man running to catch him and felt his fingers closing around his wrist, pulling him in his direction. Ferdinand was forcefully turned and saw the face of George Boleyn up close, dark brown curls falling on blue eyes. Full lips. He moved his gaze away. “What was that?”

“What was what?” He shook off George’s hold on him with a flourish and the Duke stepped back, a strange look on his face.

“You’re undermining me, making me look like a fool in front of everyone,” said the Englishman, hurt. “Why?”

Ferdinand shrugged. He remembered his grandfather doing so, whenever someone dared to question him as if saying there was no other way other than his way. When he was a child, Ferdinand thought his namesake was grand, a true King, but he doesn’t feel kingly as George looks at him with a raised eyebrow.

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” he said.

“How can you not?” asked George. “Every idea I have, every thought I share, you disagree with. I cannot say anything without your opposition. Why?”

Ferdinand shrugged again. He felt silly doing it and quickly stopped. His eyes shifted to the end of the corridor, where a servant scurried inside the room, to clean it after everyone left through other doors.

“I will not have this discussion here,” he murmured, turning away.

“Then where?” asked George, pulling at his arm. Ferdinand felt himself being forced into an empty room in the corridor, the Duke of Württemberg closing the door behind him. “Because it’s not just the war meetings. It’s everything, ever since we left Austria. I can’t say or do anything or you’ll make your displeasure about me known. Even in the camps, on the road, when I tried to get close to you, you pulled away. Why is that?”

“I don’t have to agree with everything you say, Your Grace,” said Ferdinand, trying to keep a sense of distance between them. George walked closer and he saw the hurtful look in his eyes, his quivering lower lip.

“You don’t,” he agreed. “But for you to disagree with everything? Well, it is nearly impossible. So tell me? What did I do to make you dislike me so?”

“Don’t be so sensitive, George…” He shook his head.

“No, but you do!” He pointed an accusingly long finger at him, shaking. “You dislike me. You have disliked me since we met. And why? I did nothing to you.”

“Exactly!” said Ferdinand, tired of the subject. “You did nothing. You did nothing and yet you are now the ruler of a large swath of land in Germany. You, who until not too long ago, was merely the son of a knight is now a ruler in the Holy Roman Empire.” He leaned closer and their breaths mingled. “If I disagree with you, it’s because I know you are unworthy of your standing. You are only on the meeting because your sister gave birth to a son for my brother.”

George frowned. “You hate me because I’m the son of a knight?” he asked, shocked. “Are you so…?” Words failed him. “I would have gotten the title even if the Empress produced an infanta, instead of Don Felipe.”

“What makes you think that?” Ferdinand was not so sure of it.

“Because the Emperor’s marriage is not one of equals,” explained George, his cheeks flushed with frustration. “My sister is a knight’s daughter and when the Emperor met her, she was a lady-in-waiting to Queen Catherine. The only way she’d receive a semblance of acceptance by the Cortes is if she was closely related to a ruler of Europe. With my father still in England, that left only me.”

Ferdinand shook his head and words left his lips before he could even think, unable to stop them from spilling out, “And whose fault is that? Your sister and my brother… They never should have gotten married. None of this would be happening if they hadn’t.” When he finished speaking, he raised his eyes. He was slightly shorter than George and the man looked at him, lips slightly parted.

“The Emperor’s marriage is not my fault,” he whispered. “Perhaps things would have been easier, had my sister consented to be Charles’ mistress, instead of his wife, but she didn’t. We can’t think on the past.”

“Thinking about the past is all I can do. The imperial diets were furious with the Emperor’s wedding and it took me weeks to convince them to calm down. And yet…” And yet Charles never thanked me. His brother had a habit of doing that. Never appreciating the things Ferdinand did for him, ever since they met when their grandfather died and Charles first stepped foot in Spain, when he explained to him how to get the Cortes to agree with his demands. “He exiled me from my home, he ignored my advice. He married a nobody from England whereas I had to marry the Hungarian princess he refused. I have done my duty to this family. I have sacrificed everything for the sake of our line! What has he sacrificed? What has he done that he didn’t want to?” When his companion didn’t respond, Ferdinand nodded. “Exactly. Nothing.”

George frowned. “So you’re angry with me because you can’t be angry with your brother?”

“No,” Ferdinand said, stepping back. “I’m not angry with Charles. I can’t be. He is my king and my Emperor and my…” Ferdinand’s words died in his throat as George pulled him close by the hem of his doublet and pressed their mouths together.

His eyes fluttered close on instinct. He felt a large hand going behind his neck, holding him there, and another sliding to his waist. George tried to coax his lips apart, but he was stiff, shocked and surprise running through his veins.

It was very different from kissing Anna. Anna was shorter than him, with soft lips and gentle hands. She didn’t have stubble on her chin or sharp teeth. It is the feeling of said teeth on his lip that forced Ferdinand to wake up.

He pushed George away, his cheeks flushing in embarrassment.

“If you ever do that to me again, I will blind you,” he said. Then he left.

Last edited:
    16th of December, 1523.
  • Eltham Palace, England. 16th of December, 1523.

“Three wooden horses for Prince John from the Duke of Suffolk,” Lady Margaret Bryan murmured. Her steward nodded and bent down to take note, scrawling masterfully in the piece of paper. Satisfied that he had recorded the gift, Lady Bryan continued. “Five dolls for Princess Katherine from the Marquess of Dorset.”

The steward took note again. Lady Bryan looked at the room around her, filled almost to the brim with gifts for the twins from their father’s subjects for Christmas. Though certainly Prince John, as the heir to the throne, received more resplendent presents, his twin sister received no neglect as her gifts filled an entire half of the room. Most were of dolls or rattles made by the best toymakers in England and abroad, for there were no more precious children in the land than the King’s legitimate heirs.

Certainly Princess Mary, as the eldest, had more complex gifts, for, unlike her siblings, she had already reached the age of reason. Just the previous morning, a group of men arrived in Eltham Palace to install a new set of virginals, though the servants shared between the two households had spoken of Her Highness’ glee at the new gift quickly disappearing when she learned it was her stepmother who gave it to her. Margaret Bryan shook her head at the thought. Queen Isabella clearly tried, with the number of gifts arriving at the nursery from her order, and her own visit two weeks after the failure at Richmond Palace, but Princess Mary refused to accept her as a member of the family.

When Queen Isabella tried to coax the Princess out of her shell, she only withdrew more and more. At the end of the visit, Her Highness barely spoke and ignored most of the Queen’s requests to see her toys or to watch her dance. Lady Bryan was thankful thus, that Princess Mary was not one of her charges. Prince John and Princess Katherine had quickly adapted themselves to their new mother, with the Prince even deeming her worthy enough to hold his toy knights that the King of Scotland gave him.

The Queen was too dignified to play with either twin but had allowed Princess Katherine to sit on her lap, where she received kisses and hugs from Her Majesty. When it came time for the twins to be brought to the gardens for an hour of sunshine, Prince John held his stepmother’s hand as he gave tentative steps out of the palace, marvelling the Queen with his development. Princess Katherine could not walk yet, but she had crawled on the gardens for the Queen and had to be stopped many a time from eating the flowers around her.

After her visit, rumours abound that the Queen would speak with the King about removing Lady Salisbury from Princess Mary’s household, that Her Highness’ governess was to blame for her recent behaviour. In the days following, Lady Bryan would often see the Countess walking with her charge, trying to explain to her the importance of her respecting the Queen. It was impossible though. Princess Mary was as stubborn as her father, and once she set her mind on something, nothing could change it.

But it didn't matter. Lady Bryan should focus on her charges. She had just shaken her head to empty her mind when the door opened and Alice entered, holding His Highness’ hand. Prince John was rubbing his eyes, slightly pouting.

"His Highness woke up calling for you, Lady Bryan," murmured Alice.

Lady Bryan nodded. "We'll speak later, Robert," she told the steward and he smiled, still bowing before the Prince. Lady Bryan too smiled and walked to His Highness, who was still rubbing his eyes and yawning. “What is wrong, Your Highness?”

Prince John dropped his arm. “Food!” he called out in a high and strong voice. At eleven months, he could speak some words, though not all, and food was definitely his favourite request. He had an enormous appetite, as did most other children of his age, but Lady Bryan took care to keep him from getting fat. The heir to the throne had to be lean and healthy, just like his father.

“Very well, Your Highness,” said Lady Bryan. “I will ask the cook to make you some porridge with honey. How does that sound?" He nodded, pleased with the idea. Lady Bryan looked at Alice, still holding his hand. "Where is Princess Katherine? She should be awake as well."

"Princess Katherine was sleeping so peacefully," she bemoaned. "I was loath to wake her up from her nap so soon."

"If she sleeps too much now, she will not sleep at all at night," Lady Bryan admonished, then sighed. "Take His Highness to have his porridge. I will soon join with Princess Katherine." Alice nodded and turned, pulling Prince John by the hand. As they walked down the corridor, Lady Bryan left the room with the gifts and led herself to the twins' shared nursery.

Petronilla was inside, cleaning the antechamber. She stopped and made a curtsy for her. Lady Bryan ignored her and walked to Princess Katherine's room, her cot pushed to the wall. It was dark inside and quiet.

"Princess Katherine, it's time to wake up," Lady Bryan called, moving to pull the curtains away from the windows. Sunlight streamed inside and she smiled, walking to the small wooden cot. Princess Katherine was laying on her back, face peaceful. "Prince John is eating porridge. Don't you want to join him?"

It was as if she had not spoken at all. Before, any sound near her crib would make the Princess wake up with a cry, but now Her Highness is quiet, eyes closed, mouth curled into a small smile. Not moving at all.

Her heart raced and Lady Bryan placed her hand inside, touching the Princess' little chest. She felt cold. There was no movement, no rise and fall of her ragged breaths, no pulsing heart underneath. Princess Katherine laid in her crib, deathly still.

1st of January, 1524.
  • Richmond Palace, England. 1st of January, 1524.

Princess Katherine Tudor was buried next to her mother at St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle. It was rumoured, until proven true, that the little caskets of her older siblings would be moved there, as both Dukes of Cornwall were buried in Westminster Abbey to be with their mother and sister until the day their father could join them. The chief mourner at Her Highness’ funeral was her aunt, the Dowager Queen of France, and Cardinal Wolsey led the service, praying for her soul, who was now with God in Heaven. Neither King Henry nor Queen Isabella was in attendance.

One could not risk letting the people associate the image of His Majesty with death, which kept him away, and Isabella, loyal as ever to her husband, stayed by his side. The King spent the entire first day of the new year on his wife’s bedchambers, head on her lap, laying down on the bed in silence.

Isabella caressed her husband’s red hair carefully, watching his expression for any sign of tears or distress. She thought he would cry, she was sure he would cry, and yet he did not. He was clearly distraught at the death of his poor little daughter, she had to admit, but there was a resoluteness to him. She knew then, as she looked at him, that he had already expected Katherine to die, much like everyone else of importance. The Princess was terribly weak and frail, a clear contrast to her hale older brother and sister. Not even the greatest doctor in the land could perform a miracle.

She twirled his red locks on her fingers, running her hands down his scalp. It was strange to think of the King as older than her, around twelve years, when he seemed so weak and distraught. So… broken. The death of his first wife and his little daughter had taken a hit in his confidence.

And she didn’t even know what to say. What do you say in a moment such as this? What do you tell a parent that has just lost a child? She thought of her own mother and father. Queen Maria had lost two children at birth, Infantes Maria and Antonio, but the rest of their children thrived. And Isabella never saw her parents in grief. They did not let their heirs see them without composure, without decorum. Even when her mother died, King Manuel remained a safe harbour for his children, a shoulder to cry on, never once letting on the pain that he must have felt after losing his consort of more than fifteen years.

So she stayed quiet. If Henry wanted to cry, she would let him cry. If he wanted to rage, she would let him rage. It was his daughter and no matter that she had become her mother upon her marriage, Katherine had not been born from her womb. She could not begin to understand the pain her husband was surely in. That is unless she too happened to lose a child in the future.

It was close to the afternoon when Henry croaked out, voice dry with disuse, “This is the sixth child I have buried.”

She nodded and licked her lips, trying to think of something to say. In the end, after the silence started to become awkward, she murmured, “His Majesty has suffered many losses in his life.” Isabella was not completely satisfied by her answer, but it was what she managed to say.

Henry nodded, turning slightly so she could see his bloodshot eyes.

“But why?” he asked. “What have I done to deserve this? Have I displeased God?”

She shook her head frantically. “Of course not,” she said. “This is not your fault, Henry.”

“Is it?” He sat up, putting his hands by his side, and turned to look at her. When he moved, the light from the hearth streaked over his face, and she saw that his cheeks were wet. “My father had three sons, and yet only I lived. All the sons I produced, all the little boys my wife gave me, all except John lie dead now. Surely, that means something, doesn’t it?”

“I’m afraid I don’t understand, Your Majesty,” she murmured.

“Maybe we are cursed,” he answered. “My father won his throne on the battlefield, by spilling blood. What if that angered God and he is punishing the Tudor dynasty by taking away our children? My mother had four daughters, though only Margaret and Mary lived long enough to have children of their own.”

“Are you saying you are not the rightful King of England?” His words confused her, but she tried to remain open to his ideas. He was a grieving father, her king and her husband. She had to listen to him.

Henry shook his head. “Of course I am the rightful King of England, but my father killed Richard Plantagenet to get the throne. What if God is angry with the House of Tudor because of that?”

“Richard Plantagenet was a usurper,” Isabella said, “He killed your uncles."

"I know he did," her husband bit out and she stiffened up, watching his face carefully. Henry was not looking at her, though, eyes turned up as if he could look into God's eyes. "But my father… His troops were not honourable towards Richard's body, everyone says so. They displayed him through the city, naked. Richard was God's child as much as I am and he was an anointed king. Perhaps…" He put out his tongue to wet his lips. "Perhaps God is punishing us for that. Had we been more gracious in our victory, maybe my brothers would have lived."

Isabella pressed her lips together, trying to think. It made some sense, she had to admit. She sighed and looked at her lord and husband.

"How does His Majesty hope to atone for that?" she asked and he smiled as if he had been waiting for her to ask.

"I will make a sizable donation to the Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady of the Newarke and erect a new chapel on Bosworth Field," he murmured. "After it is done, I will take a walk of penitence with Cardinal Wolsey. With this, I’m sure God will be satisfied and grant me forgiveness. Our children shall live.”

She nodded and her stomach tumbled as if agreeing. Isabella would not say anything to him until the mourning was over, but it was the happiest news. She only hoped his atonement would go well.

Last edited:
    13th of January, 1524.
  • Castello Sforzesco, Milan. 13th of January, 1524.

Duchess Catalina cooed softly as she picked up her son, holding him carefully in her arms. Ferdinand watched her with a smile on his face as she pressed a kiss to Ludovico’s forehead, nosing his little chubby cheek.

“My sweet Lulu,” she murmured, kissing him again. Her grey eyes moved to look at him and a smile cut his sister’s lips. “Do you want to hold him?” They spoke in Castilian, the first language both of them learned first in their childhood.

Ferdinand nodded and she helped him pick up the baby, adjusting his hands around. He was quite heavy, with a fine weight and long legs that he was always kicking. Lulu had alert eyes at three months old, always looking around, trying to understand the people with him. When he looked at Ferdinand, he moved a hand, trying to grab his beard, and the Archduke chuckled.

“He’s beautiful,” Ferdinand whispered. “He looks so much like you.” And he did. Lulu had Catalina’s dark hair, her lips and her nose. It was as if Francesco was not his father and Catalina was his only parent, like some sort of miracle, with how little of himself the Duke left on his son.

“I think he has Mother’s eyes,” she murmured, looking at them with a smile on his face.

Ferdinand gulped. He wouldn’t know. Though he had lived with his mother for a few months after his father’s death, he had been taken away by his grandfather at a young age, never seeing the Queen again. To him, Juana was nothing more than the memory of kisses against his cheek, of overprotectiveness, never letting him out of her sight, but he couldn’t recall her face as it was, only knowing how she looked like from the few portraits his grandfather had in his castles. After Charles arrived in Castile, he thought to make her a visit, without King Fernando there to stop him, but he never had the chance to make the arrangements before he was exiled to Austria. Now, he doubted he would ever see his mother again.

Noticing his sudden shift in mood, Catalina touched his arm. They had both lived together during his brief time with his mother, when she was only a baby, but were never allowed to form a bond as Charles had with Leonor, Elizabeth and Maria. Now that they were both married and away from home, they tried to make up for the lost time.

“You’re so good with him,” Catalina whispered and Ferdinand looked at Lulu, who was blowing spit bubbles at him. He chuckled again. “It makes me wonder, brother, why you have not been graced with children yet.”

His cheeks flushed and he moved, putting Lulu in his wooden crib again. He did not seem to mind, kicking and waving his arms around, touching everything around him. Ferdinand turned to his sister.

“I don’t know why as well,” he murmured, crossing his arms.

Catalina arched an eyebrow and turned her back to him, picking up some of the toys that Ludovico had received from the Milanese nobles and merchants. She placed a rattle on the boy’s open hand and he opened a gummy smile, waving it around to hear the dry beans inside it rattling against the silver lock.

“Well, have you consummated the marriage?” she asked, voice low.

Ferdinand blanched. “I will not have this discussion with you,” he said.

“I’m sorry,” said Catalina, walking to him. She touched his arm again with a small smile on her round face. “I want you to have many children, Ferdinand. I think there’s no greater gift in the world than children.”

He frowned and turned his gaze away from her.

It wasn’t that he didn’t want children. He did and he had hoped Anna would fall pregnant soon, but they had already been married for two years, and no such luck. They had already consummated the marriage, right after they were wed, and did it quite often enough to make many wonder why she hadn’t become pregnant yet. He did too, at times, but Ferdinand knew children would come when God wanted them to come.

Not that Catalina needed to know that.

He turned back to his sister and found her looking out into the window, curtains pulled back. “What are you doing?” he asked, moving to stand beside her. He saw nothing but the city of Milan sprawling outside of the castle, the people trying to continue their common lives despite the war raging on outside.

"I'm worried," she answered. "Some French soldiers were seen near the city walls last night as if trying to gauge whether they could get in. The Duke sent some men to try and scare them off."

"Don't worry," Ferdinand said, rubbing her arms. "You and Ludovico are safe here. Charles will not let anyone hurt you. And I won't either."

The corners of her lips turned up and Ferdinand smiled.

But Catalina shook her head. "It's been hours, though, and the Duke has not yet returned. I'm worried for him."

"The Duke?" Ferdinand frowned. He had not heard anything about Franceso leaving the castle, especially not against such a light skirmish. "I thought Sforza was resting."

"No," she murmured, shaking her head. "Not my husband. George Boleyn. The Duke of Württemberg. He insisted on leading the expedition."

Ferdinand stepped back as his heart raced. His mouth ran dry and his hands shook as he looked at the back of his sister's head, her dark curls pinned up.

The Archduke had not allowed himself to think of George since the man kissed him. Whenever he tried to speak to him, Ferdinand pulled away, afraid somebody would see them together. He didn't want to speak to someone who did that, who sinned so callously, wanted nothing to do with him and yet...

"When did Württemberg leave?" he asked, trying to keep his voice calm.

"At dawn, I believe." Catalina turned to him and gasped. "Ferdinand, you're pale. What is wrong?" She pressed a hand to his forehead, seeing if he had a fever, but he pushed her away gently.

"I will return later," he told her. Before she could say anything or ask what he was doing, he left the nursery.

His heart was racing, his palms sweating because while George had left at dawn, it was nearly sunset, and there had been no sign of him.

Ferdinand walked to his rooms and quickly changed into his riding habit, not even bothering to call for his groom. He didn't want to see anyone who might question him, who might see into his heart and know. Once he was dressed, cloak pinned to his chest to ward off the cold and hands gloved, with a sword hanging by his waist, he left for the stables.

Perhaps he should have asked for a guard, for a number of good men to accompany him, but in truth, the thought did not even cross his mind. Ferdinand only thought to ask a stable hand to prepare his horse, barely able to wait until he was mounting the animal and riding off Castello Sforzesco.

The people opened their way as he moved past them, pulling children and elders out of his path. Ferdinand didn't even spare them a glance, heart racing. His horse ran out of the city and he realized, only too late, that he didn’t know exactly where the French had been seen, only that it was near the walls that surrounded the capital.

He thought to curse, he thought to cry. Instead, Ferdinand moved his horse over the large expanse of the plains around him, eyes and ears wide open for any sign of George or the fight against the French. Hours passed and he saw nothing, frustration threatening to spill over and burn him.

It was already dark when he came across the first body. A man sprawled over a tree root, about a mile out of the southern wall. His eyes were open and Ferdinand turned his gaze away, only noting the fleur-de-lys pinned to his bloody chest. He slowed his horse down and moved his head, trying to find George Boleyn among the numerous corpses that came across his sight.

It had been a vicious fight and his heart stopped when everything became clear. There were around fifty dead men wearing the uniform of Milan and he imagined Francesco wouldn't have sent a larger force out of the city, risking leaving it unprotected in case it was a trap.

And it was a trap. For every dead French, there were five Italians. Maybe they had lured the Sforza forces somewhere where they had more men waiting, slaughtering them when they did so. It brought a shiver to his spine and he pulled out his sword, dismounting his horse, lest there was someone else waiting for him, someone who had been hoping they would send out a search party. Certainly, they were pissing themselves with glee at the sight of him.

He was a fool. It was possible George was not even here. As the Emperor's brother-in-law, he would warrant a good ransom, though Ferdinand doubted Charles would ever pay. He doubted Charles would pay even if it was for him, his true brother.

He was deciding to return to Milan when he saw it, George's dark curls, sprawling against the dirt. The curve of George's nose, pale against the dark, and his ruddy cheeks. Ferdinand's heart raced and he put away his sword, leading his horse to him.

The Duke of Württemberg laid against the ground in an odd position, his face turned. His armour was dirty with earth and blood, as was his face. He wasn't moving at all.

He let go of his horse's reins and threw himself to the ground. Ferdinand's hands were trembling as he wrapped his arms around him, pulling George to his chest. Tears burned at his eyes and he splayed a hand on his wet hair, lips pressed to his forehead.

George groaned as he was moved and his heart jumped, relief flooding his veins. He muttered out a curse in English, something Ferdinand couldn't understand, and tears slid down his face.

"Oh, George," he whispered, a weight lifting itself off his chest, letting him breathe properly for the first time in weeks. "George, George." He placed him gently on the ground again and pressed his hand to his neck, seeing the heartbeat fluttering beneath his fingertips. Amazed and awed, Ferdinand didn't even think as he leaned forward and pressed his lips to George's cheek, feeling his skin warm with life.

"Ferdinand?" George opened his eyes weakly. "What are you doing here?"

"You fool," Ferdinand called instead. "You blind, bloody fool. What did you think you were doing? Leading an expedition against the French? Don't you know they are tricky?"

A smile crossed his face before his features contorted into an expression of pain. "I'm injured, you bastard," he said. "You must be kinder to me."

"Where?" He was still worried. George was hurt. Badly. It had to be the reason for why he hadn't yet returned to the city of Milan, why he didn't even move.

"On my waist," he murmured, pointing to a fault in his armour. When Ferdinand touched it, he felt a deep gash under the metal, slick with blood and cutting his skin in two. His stomach turned and he thought he was going to be sick. "Damn frogs thought they killed me."

"They nearly did," said Ferdinand. He moved closer to George, pulling at his shoulders. "Come, let me bring you back to the city. We will find a physician for you."

George nodded and grunted in pain as he helped Ferdinand stand him up, pressing a gauntleted hand to the injury on his side. He nearly screamed, face paling as he climbed up the horse. When Ferdinand went after him, he leaned his entire body against the Archduke, as if he couldn't support his own weight.

"I have to go as fast as I can," he said, apologetic. "The French could still be out here and you are badly hurt. We need to get back to the city before the night deepens."

George's eyes fluttered shut as he turned to look at Ferdinand, a small smile on his face. "Do what you will with me," he whispered.

Last edited:
    14th of January, 1524.
  • Castello Sforzesco, Milan. 14th of January, 1524.

“They tricked us,” George started, grunting as the Sforza physician applied a poultice made of egg whites and herbs to his wound. Blood mixed with the eggs, dribbling down his sides, but Mario, the physician’s assistant, pressed a square of linen to his side, holding the bleeding. “At first, there were ten of them. Thought it would be an easy thing to just scare them off. But they led us to the woods and there were at least a hundred more Frenchmen waiting for us.”

The physician’s assistant moved slightly and Ferdinand saw the stab wound on George’s side, thin and long, sutured close. He remembered, hours earlier, when three stablehands had to hold the Duke of Württemberg down as a seamstress stitched him up. Because he needed to tell them what happened, he was only allowed a couple of sips of ale to dull the pain, and his guttural screams still ring in Ferdinand’s head.

“Why did they leave you to die?” Charles asked, leaning against the dresser. They were in the Duke’s rooms, where he would stay for the following weeks until he recovered completely. Even if the war were to end the next day, George wouldn’t be able to return to Germany until he healed. Ferdinand didn’t know what he thought about that. “You are my wife’s brother. You would be worth a considerable ransom.”

“No one was screaming out my name,” explained George. “And I’ve never sat for a portrait. I doubt anyone in their camp knows what I actually look like.” The physician called for a maid who was standing in the corner, who, along with him and his assistant, helped set George back down on the bed. “If anything, they probably thought I was just a common soldier.” He spoke in pauses as he closed his eyes and took deep breaths.

“Well,” Charles said. “You’re lucky you lived. And luckier still that my brother came out to look for you.” He looked at Ferdinand then, a question in his eyes. For a second, Ferdinand’s heart raced and he thought that Charles knew. He must have known. How could he not? It was clear in his eyes that he knew. But the second passed and Charles moved his gaze away. “You must rest. We’ll speak again later.”

Ferdinand followed him out and his brother stopped right outside of George’s room, watching as the assistants, the physician and the maids slowly filtered out, leaving the Duke to rest for the rest of the night. Ferdinand was starting to walk away when his brother held his arm and pulled him close, frowning.

“Now, can you explain to me what was that?” he asked in French. There was confusion in his brother’s eyes, towering over Ferdinand. “Why did you go after him?”

“Why shouldn’t I? He’s our ally.” Ferdinand shrugged. “Your brother-in-law.”

“But you don’t like him.”

He stepped back. “What? Of course, I like him. What are you talking about?” His cheeks flushed. He knows, he thought, looking at Charles desperately.

“You could have sent anyone else after him,” murmured the Emperor. “But you went yourself. Why?”

Because I couldn’t rest until I knew he was safe. Because I thought he was dead and I didn’t want anyone to see me cry over his body. Because…

His brother shook his head. “It doesn’t matter,” he said, placing a carefully hand on Ferdinand’s shoulder. “Don’t ever do something stupid like that again. The French would have gotten a good ransom for George, but it would’ve been enormous for you. And I can’t let that happen. Agreed?”

Ferdinand gulped. “Agreed.” His brother nodded and stepped back, murmuring something about seeing him later. He was left alone in the corridor where he stood for a few minutes, heart racing. Then, he turned around and only watched as his feet led him back to Geroge’s room.

The door creaked as he pushed it open and air flew into the room, swirling around them. George opened his eyes, almost ready to sleep, and smiled when he saw him. He had a beautiful smile, wide and unabashed. Ferdinand sighed and pulled one of the chairs available in the space, placing it next to George in the bed. He sat down.

“Missed me?” George teased. Ferdinand thought of slapping him.

“Yes,” he said, instead. The smile on George’s face grew even wider as if it was possible. Ferdinand flushed. He placed his elbows on his knees and rested his head on his hands, looking at him. “You scared me so much. I thought you were dead.”

“As you can see,” he whispered. “I’m quite well.”

“You must never do that again,” Ferdinand said. “What were you thinking? Insisting on leading it yourself? That was very stupid.”

George frowned. “Why do you care, though?” he asked, confused.

Ferdinand licked his lips. Instead of answering, he leaned forward and pressed their mouths together. He felt as George hitched a breath before he too leaned forward, deepening their kiss as much as he could from his position in bed. He felt the stubble on his chin rubbing against his jaw, his soft pillow-like lips against his. He opened his mouth.

George’s tongue touched his gently and a shiver ran down his spine. Ferdinand put a hand on his neck, feeling his pulse drumming under his finger, and he leaned forward, even more, trying to get closer and closer to George.

But the Duke arched in pain, separating their lips to curse in English.

Ferdinand leaned back. His lips were tingling. “Did I hurt you?”

“No, not really.” George nodded to the side of his body, to the injury carefully wrapped in bandages. “I’m not really in a state to be kissing.”

“Oh.” His cheeks flushed and he settled back on his chair, embarrassed. “Of course. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be,” said George. “You have done nothing to be sorry for.” He smiled. “You saved my life, Ferdinand.”

Tears burned at his eyes and he leaned forward again, taking George’s left hand in his own. He kissed the bruised knuckles gently, before pressing the back of his hand to his forehead. Then, Ferdinand let out a shuddering breath.

“If we are to do this…” His words failed him and he gulped, feeling a hard knot on his throat. “Then no one can know.” He raised his head to look at him again, still holding his hand. “Not even your sister.”

“Or your brother,” George retorted and Ferdinand shook his head. His heart stopped in his chest and he wanted to kiss George again. “I’m not stupid, Ferdinand. I know what the sentence for sodomy is.”

“Don’t speak that word,” he whispered, grimacing.

“I’m sorry,” George said, curling his lips down.

Ferdinand smiled. “You have done nothing to be sorry for.”

Last edited:
    18th of February, 1524.
  • Hever Castle, England. 18th of February, 1524.

“I’m so glad we could finally be together,” Isabella said in the chilly afternoon, sitting down before her stepdaughter with a large smile on her face. “It’s not every day a girl turns eight.”

Princess Mary, seated at a chair before her, didn’t say anything, hands on the arms of her chair, face twisted into a scowl. Isabella did not let her silence get to her and tried to smile even brighter, waving at the food before them, sprawling over the tables. There were cakes, candied jams, pies, sweetmeats and much more. The cooks had worked hard to prepare such a feast for the little girl and despite the longing in her face, Mary did nothing that could indicate she wanted to eat. She didn’t move at all, or open her mouth, refusing to show Isabella that she was willing to compromise.

The Queen tried not to let that get to her. She smiled even more and had one of her maids serve her a piece of cake and she ate it with brightness in her eyes, watching as Mary stared at the sweets before her with a hunger in her eyes. Such a stubborn child she was, Isabella thought, cleaning her face of crumbs. But she would find a way to coax her walls apart, to convince her to let Isabella into her life. She would find a way to make Mary love her.

She drank a sip of watered-down wine and said, “Do you know something, my dear?” Mary took a deep breath and said or did nothing to indicate she had heard. Isabella tried to smile even brighter and she could feel her ladies looking at them, observing the situation with slight grimaces. She would not let that deter her. “You were named after my most beloved mother, Queen Maria.”

Mary made a face but quickly smoothed down her expression, tilting her chin up. “Papa said I was named after my aunts, the Queen of France and the Queen of Portugal.”

Isabella smiled even brighter. “That’s right,” she said. “My mother was the Queen of Portugal until she died.”

“Your mother was my lady aunt?” Mary asked and Isabella felt a weight lift itself off her shoulders and chest, letting her breathe properly for the first time in many weeks. It was the first her stepdaughter spoke to her of her own volition.

“Oh yes,” she said. “My mother was Maria of Aragon.”

Mary’s expression smoothed down and a slight tingle lit up in her eyes. “My mother was from Aragon,” she said, slightly awed by the similarities in their stories. “Her father was King Ferdinand and her mother was Queen Isabella.”

“I know,” said Isabella. She smiled. “My mother’s mother was Queen Isabella too and her father was King Ferdinand. Our mothers were sisters and that makes us cousins.”

“Cousins?” Mary asked, slightly confused. “I didn’t know…”

“No one told you?” Isabella murmured and the princess shook her head. She let out a sigh and felt her eyes going to Lady Salisbury, who stood to the side as she watched her charge. The Countess averted her gaze, almost ashamed. She turned back to her stepdaughter.

“I knew I had cousins in Portugal,” admitted the princess, “And I also knew Your Majesty came from Portugal but I never…” Her cheeks flushed and she dropped her gaze. “I didn’t know those were related.”

Isabella smiled and stood up again, coming to stand behind Mary. She knelt slightly, hearing her ladies gasp as she did so, and put her face at eye level with her stepdaughter, her cousin. “Do you understand what that means, dear?”

“No, Your Majesty,” said Mary, frowning.

“It means that even if I was not married to your lord father, we’d still be family,” she said, slowly. This could go wrong very fast. “It means that even if you can’t love me like a mother, you can still love me as your cousin.”

“I… I…”

“It’s hard to lose a mother, especially when you are young,” said Isabella. “I know the pain well. When my mother died, I was only fourteen and I was heartbroken. I wondered what I had done to be punished in such a way.” She sighed, thinking about what to say. “I will never attempt to replace your mother,” she said. “I am only here to provide your brother and father with a measure of happiness and love, so that they may enjoy the same love Queen Catherine once gave them. John will never know your mother as you do, but that doesn’t mean he cannot have a mother in his life.”

Mary’s lower lip wobbled and she saw as her stepdaughter bit her inner cheek to stop herself from crying. “I asked the Lord for a brother in my prayers,” she admitted in a low voice. “I asked for it every day, but I never meant for… for mama to…”

“I understand how hard that must be,” said Isabella, cooing softly. “You mustn’t blame yourself, my dear.” She licked her lips, trying to think of something, anything. “It’s not your fault. It’s not John or Katherine’s fault.”

“I thought she would come back,” said Mary. “I thought that if I was very good and ate all my greens, she would come back, but you arrived and she would not like to be replaced. I know it so.”

“No one likes to be replaced,” Isabella agreed. “But she is not coming back. She is with the Lord now and we may only see her when we go meet our Maker as well.”

Mary pouted and looked away, tears flooding her blue eyes. “I know,” she said, “But I thought…” She doesn’t finish it.

Minutes pass where they don’t speak at all and then, an idea comes to Isabella. “How about this, Mary? We will have a new beginning. I understand it’s still hard to love me as your new mother, but we are cousins. We can love each other as cousins, can we not?”

Slowly, Mary nodded and a large smile cut the Queen’s lips.

“So, you do not need to call me Your Majesty anymore, or mother,” said the Queen. “You can call me by my name, or you may call me ‘cousin’. Does that feel like something you can do?”

“Yes,” Mary said. “Yes, cousin.”

Last edited:
    1st of May, 1524.
  • Toledo, Castile. 1st of May, 1524

To my dear father,

I miss you and hope you’ve been well. It has been too long since we last spoke to each other kindly, before my wedding, and I wished to remedy that. You are still my father and I am still your loyal and loving daughter.

At this moment, I hold your granddaughter in my arms. She was born just a week past, on the 23rd of last month. The physicians say she is quite hale and is likely to live, which makes me very glad. She is so small and so perfect. Her hair is blonde, like Mary’s, but I think she has my eyes. She looks so much like Mary did, that I named her after my sister. María. The Duke of Alba wanted to name her Isabel, or Juana, after the Queens, but I insisted on the name. Just like you always said, I can be very stubborn when I want to.

I think she deserves to meet her grandfather, the only grandfather she will have. Please, father, let us put this disagreement behind us. Come to Spain, where you will be welcomed with open arms. Your grandson grows strong every day. He can talk and walk. Don’t you want to meet your first grandchild? And George is a duke now. A duke! Our family has never been higher.

Please, papa. All can be forgotten and forgiven. I miss you and mother. I need you by my side.

Your loving daughter,

Annie.

María whined high on her throat and Anne looked away from her paper, eyes turning to her little daughter in her arms. She set the quill aside and brought María closer to her face, pressing a kiss to her soft cheek.

“Hush, my dear,” she whispered in English. “Hush. Mama is here.” María settled back with her kisses and caresses, but it was too late. Her brown eyes were opened and she frowned, looking around her.

Anne was still in her confinement, seated at her bed with her daughter in her arms. They were alone, her having dismissed her ladies, and María smacked her lips, moving her tiny little fingers around and cried loudly, sobbing for milk. The Empress chuckled and looked around her, hoping that the wet nurse who waited on the outside of the chamber, did not hear the archduchess.

When a minute passed without any movement, Anne settled María back in her arms and pulled the hem of her nightgown down, exposing her left breast. She had not been allowed to do so for Felipe and had to feed María in secret, lest someone remind her once again that it was improper for an Empress to feed her own child. But she was determined. Her husband was away, so there was no fear of her feeding María preventing her from falling pregnant again. And no one could stop her from wanting to alleviate the ache on her breasts.

María’s eyes fluttered close as she ate and she went back to sleep rather quickly, mouth slacking. Anne pulled her nightgown back up and pressed a kiss to her daughter’s soft head, which was covered in thick blonde strands. “I hope your grandpapa will respond to my letter,” she said. “You will love him very much, I know it so. He was always kind to me when I was a child.” When she left for the Low Countries, her father said she was the cleverest of his children and that she’d soon surpass all of the family in terms of intelligence and loveliness. How far had they gone, when he claimed that she was no longer his daughter for marrying out of love.

He thought Charles would set her aside, but now she had two of his children. Two infantes, an archduke and an archduchess. He was only scared for her, she told herself. But now he would see that she was Empress, that she was mother to the heirs. He would accept her as his daughter again and he would go to Spain with her mother, maybe even Mary and her husband. They would be a family once more.

Anne pulled her wooden slab closer to her and picked up the quill again.

My dear husband,

I’m happy to say that you have a daughter...

Last edited:
    16th of May, 1524.
  • Castello Sforzesco, Milan. 16th of May, 1524.

“I have a daughter,” said Charles, head bent forward as he read a letter. “The Empress gave birth last month.”

Ferdinand paused the hand bringing a goblet of wine to his lips and looked at his brother. There was a slight frown between the Emperor’s dark eyebrows as if he was confused, but also a small smile on his lips.

“Is the child healthy?” he asked after a long moment.

Charles nodded. Ferdinand looked at George, sitting on the other side of the table, and saw a quizzical expression on his face. The Duke of Württemberg raised his eyebrows and said, “What is her name?”

The Emperor looked up, almost surprised, certainly having forgotten their presence there. He gulped and looked at the paper again.

“María,” said Charles. “The Empress named her after her sister, apparently the child resembles her.” Ferdinand looked at George, who was also a brother to his niece’s namesake, almost expecting him to start describing his sister Mary then and there. “I always thought I’d name my eldest daughter after the Dowager Duchess or my mother. Before I left, I told the Empress such.” Despite the suggestion of his words, there was an amused smile on his lips and he read the letter again.

Ferdinand and George shared another look. The Archduke gulped and stood up, raising his goblet of wine.

“A beautiful name,” he said. “A toast for the newest member of our family. Long live Archduchess María of Austria, Infanta of Castile and Aragon.” George stood up and echoed his words, as did Charles, hesitantly clinking their cups together.

“Long live María of Austria!” they said together.

After they sat down and drank, Charles stood up again, wrangling his hands together. George and Ferdinand followed suit, as demanded etiquette. “I must pray,” he said, “For the health of the Empress and of the Archduchess.” Ferdinand nodded and made a bow, watching as his brother left the room.

When they were alone, George smiled at Ferdinand. “We have a new niece,” he said.

The Archduke nodded. “That we do,” he answered. Ferdinand looked around him, at the empty antechamber they were in, his antechamber. He looked at George and with a slight movement of his head, nodded at the closed doors that led to his room. George’s smile grew and he nodded, eyes darkening.

They were upon each other as soon as the doors closed again, kissing and grabbing the other's clothes. Ferdinand put a hand on each side of George's face, pulling him close. He felt warm fingers itching under his doublet, removing his shirt from his pants and a shiver ran down his spine when those fingers found the soft slice of skin of his belly.

He pulled away, gasping when someone knocked on his door. "What is it?" he asked in a bark, angry at the intrusion.

"A letter, Your Highness," said a shy voice outside. Ferdinand sighed and let go of George, walking to the entrance. He adjusted his askew clothes and opened the door slightly, allowing only his head to slip through. "Here, Your Highness."

"Thank you," he murmured without even thinking. Ferdinand closed the door and turned back to his room.

George was sitting on the bed, legs crossed and the candlelight made his skin look golden. Ferdinand broke the seal and started reading his letter.

When he was finished, he set it aside and sat beside the Duke. He intertwined their hands, caressing George's knuckles. "Who was it?"

"My wife," Ferdinand responded.

George nodded. "Do you mind telling me what she said?"

He shook his head.

"She wants me to return to Austria," he said, his voice heavy.

"Why?"

"My nephew died," said Ferdinand, looking at his feet. "István. My sister Maria's son. He was sickly like his father, I suppose."

"I'm sorry," said George. "But why is that important?"

"István was heir to Hungary and Bohemia," said Ferdinand. "Now that he's dead, I am. My wife wants me to return to Austria, in case I need to press my rights if her brother dies. The King is very sickly."

"So you've said," murmured George. He put a hand on Ferdinand's head and stroked his ear, pulling at the lobe. "I will come with you."

That shocks him and he looks up. "What?"

"I will come with you," he repeated. "There's nothing for me in Italy."

"Then why did you come?"

"Why did you?" George retorted, arching an eyebrow. "Loyalty to the Emperor, I suppose. But I will be more useful in Germany."

"What makes you think that?"

"Well," George started. "If I go to Germany, your wife can find a bride for me and I can secure my rule in Württemberg." He smirked. "And I can stay near you."

"We will be in two different countries," murmured Ferdinand, desolate.

"Not if I swear fealty to you,” said George, smiling. “If I’m your subject, I can stay at your court in Vienna. Maybe be your advisor, your lover…"

"The people of Württemberg will never accept this," answered Ferdinand. He was sure of it. The Germans were proud and distrustful. They would never accept a ruler whom they thought sold their land to the people.

"If I tell them it was a condition for you to hand the duchy over to me, then they will," said George, certain. "They have to."

Ferdinand wanted to deny, to fight the proposition because it would not work, it couldn't, but George kissed him and he could do nothing but nod.

29th of May, 1524.
  • Richmond Palace, England. 29th of May, 1524.

“Who does Francis think he is?” King Henry of England exclaimed loudly at the council meeting, looking around at the men who obey him, who will follow him anywhere. “Does he think we are his subjects, to be lorded around as he pleases? That he can just hold my daughter’s betrothal over our heads and gain everything he wants in return?”

The motive of his rage was clear. Henry had just left a meeting with the French Ambassador, where the man was clear that England was required to enter the war against the Emperor and Milan or else the Dauphin would never marry the Princess Mary. It was an offence, an insult and he would not let that go mildly.

His councillors looked at him with similar expressions on their faces: rage, disbelief, frustration. All but one seemed ready to go to war for this insult, all but one looked ready to root the Valois out of their keeps and take back the lands lost by his predecessors. Cardinal Wolsey, perhaps owed by his collar, had his hands raised, murmuring words of patience and forgiveness to those sitting near him. It made Henry’s blood boil.

“Will we keep ourselves away from the war?” he asked, looking to those sitting before him. They shouted out their denials, raising hands and calling for the heads of the French. “No, I don’t think so. It is time, my lords, for us to finish what Henry V started, to take back our lands in the continent once and for all.” The privy council went silent, looking at him. “It’s time for war!”

They planned for the rest of the morning and a good part of the afternoon, talking about armies and ships, supply lines and much else. Henry’s head ached when he left the chamber and he flagged down a page to bring him a cup of wine. “Send a rider to Eltham Palace to warn them I will be coming soon to visit my children.”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” said the boy, hurrying off quickly to do his bidding. Another page filled his cup with wine and Henry drank it in one long gulp, setting it aside as the door opened and Cardinal Wolsey entered with a flourish.

“Sire, may I have a word?” he asked, already sitting down. Henry felt his lips twitch at the sight of it, but said nothing, only nodding. The pageboy offered wine for Wolsey but he refused with a shake of his hand, murmuring something about needing a clear head. Henry dismissed his servants and looked at the Cardinal, who once had been his own tutor. He thought of what he had learned from him, of all that Wolsey taught him. He thought and thought.

“Well,” said Henry. “What is it? Is there something bothering you, Cardinal?”

“I’m afraid there is, Your Majesty,” said Wolsey. “I wonder if war with France really is the best idea? After all, while I understand the insult felt by you from the King, it truly is worth considering the price to pay here.”

Henry seethed. “And what is the price to pay, Wolsey?”

The Cardinal showed his hands, as if the matter was completely obvious to him. “Well, Princess Mary’s betrothal, of course. His Majesty swore to be Francis’ ally against the Emperor, after the humiliation of his marrying one of your own courtiers instead of your precious daughter. While his words were rash and rude, one can understand his wish to see English soldiers marching onto Italy.”

“Is that so?” asked Henry. “And what would I gain from this? Milan? Perhaps the Low Countries, in return for my loyalty to Francis?”

Wolsey flushed. They both knew Francis would never give an inch of land to any king willingly, at least not the extremely wealthy lands of Milan or the Low Countries. “Sire, your daughter would be married to little François, who will one day rule over all of these territories. Your grandson...”

Henry hummed. “And what of my son, Cardinal? Is he to rule just one island, not even the whole of it, and maybe some part of Ireland? And Calais, the remnants of the Plantagenet dream, is that to be my son’s sole possession on the continent?” He stood up and Wolsey did as well. “I shall speak to you later, Cardinal.”

“But, Your Majesty, I-I,” he stuttered.

“I said I shall speak to you later, Cardinal.” Henry left the room and led himself down the corridors of Richmond Palace, ignoring the courtiers who stooped low on his path.

The guards at her door did not hesitate to let him enter and he found Isabella sitting on a divan at her antechamber, reading a book as her ladies-in-waiting sat around her. One was playing the virginals, and though Henry knew she came from Portugal, he couldn’t remember her name. Another lady was sewing something, perhaps a dress or a new hat, while the others organized handkerchiefs into two piles.

“Your Majesty,” said Maud Parr, dipping into a curtsy. His wife had insisted on having her serve her and she was seated next to the Queen, dressed in a pretty green gown. “May I offer you refreshments?”

“No, thank you,” he said. Isabella rose from her sitting position and smiled at him, coming to kiss him. When they stepped away, Henry nodded at her ladies-in-waiting. “Please, leave me alone with my wife.” They nodded and left, setting their things aside so they could return to their duties once Henry left.

When they were alone, Henry allowed himself to place a hand on Isabella’s enlarged stomach. The baby inside kicked him eagerly and a bemused smile crossed his face, feeling the strong movements of his son. His son. His Duke of York. For so long, Henry had no son to follow him on the throne and now, he would soon have his royal dukes. Just the thought of it threatened to burst his heart in happiness.

Isabella laid her hand atop his and smiled, her golden eyelashes touching her cheeks as she blinked. “He is eager,” she said. “I can barely sleep when he moves at night.”

He looked at her. Her face was flushed with life, but he couldn’t help and not notice the dark circles under her eyes and the pale flutter of her pulse point. It made him think of Catherine and the pain he went through when she died. “Are you ill?” he asked. “Should I call the physician?”

“No, not at all,” said Isabella. “Please, Henry, don’t worry about me.” Her eyes searched his face and her smile softened down into a thin line. “Is there something wrong?”

“No,” he said. “But I am leaving soon enough to go to Eltham Palace and see the children. I would like for you to come with me.”

Isabella shook her head and bit her lower lip. “I would love to,” she said. “But our Duke of York is as strong a soldier as his father. I’m afraid I couldn’t make the trip at this late stage.”

“Of course,” he murmured. Then, Henry leaned forward and pressed a kiss to her forehead. “Please rest, my love. I don’t know what I would do if I lost you as well.” She nodded and rose up on her toes to press her lips against his in a short kiss, her fingers touching his chin.

When they stepped back, Isabella moved. “I have a gift for Mary,” she said and took a small chest from her table, offering it to him. “It arrived today and I would be greatly pleased if you brought it to her.”

Henry nodded and took the gift into his hand. “Of course,” he said. Then, because he thought he had to, he added, “I’m very glad to see you two getting along. My two beautiful girls must love each other.”

“Mary is just a child,” Isabella answered, “Who lost her mother. I knew she would come around with a little coaxing on my part, but don’t worry, my love. I don’t intend on giving up at just being her cousin, for I intend to have Mary love me just as she loved the deceased Queen.”

Henry nodded. “You are so much like your aunt,” he whispered. Isabella’s smile faltered and he saw as her eyes lost some of their shine, but she said nothing. His wife merely tapped his shoulder lightly and rose up to kiss him, but her lips were cold.

2nd of June, 1524.
  • Tordesillas, Castile. 2nd of June, 1524.

They had barely stepped out of the carriage when a steward came running down the castle stairs, waving a hand to gather their attention. Anne shifted her eyes away from Felipe, who was holding both her hand and his nurse’s in his two tight grips, bouncing on his heels in excitement.

“What is wrong?” she asked, swallowing the need to pick up her little son. He turned to his nurse, pointing out at something on the horizon, dark hair brushed under his little white cap.

“We were not expecting you, Your Majesty,” said the man, bowing when he came close to her.

Anne frowned. “Did the rider we send ahead not arrive?” The thought made her shiver in fear. The road from Toledo had been peaceful, almost too peaceful, probably because of the large number of guards that were following her and no bandits had bothered them, thankfully. But a single rider was much more vulnerable than a royal procession.

But before she could ask another worrying question, the steward nodded. “We did, Your Majesty, but we sent him back to warn you that we couldn’t possibly receive you at this moment.”

She stepped back.

“Whyever not?” Anne shared a look with her ladies-in-waiting that had come with her, Elvira and Lina, finding them with equal puzzled expressions on their faces.

“Queen Juana is severely ill, Your Majesty,” said the steward. “We feared that it was contagious, so we asked the rider to warn you, to protect you and the Infante.” His eyes went to Felipe, who was bending down to pick up a fallen rock on the ground. Worry for the little heir to the throne was clear on his face.

Anne looked to her son as well and bit the inner part of her cheek. She looked at her ladies-in-waiting and the carriages that had come with their things, clothes and some of Felipe’s toys so they could spend a fruitful month with her mother-in-law. The idea felt silly to her now, to introduce her son to his grandmother and make her love him more than she hated Anne.

“It is too late for us to turn around and return to Toledo,” she murmured. The ride had taken most of the day and it was getting late, the afternoon sun dipping behind the mountains. Their horses needed to rest, they needed to rest and Felipe had to eat and sleep well, something he couldn’t do on the road. Anne turned to his nurse. “Get the Infante settled in the wing opposite to the Queen. Feed him his supper and get him ready for bed.”

The woman nodded and dipped into a curtsy. When she straightened up again, she picked Felipe in her bony arms, settling him carefully on her hip. “Si, mi Reina.” She left quickly, following another servant that had come out of the castle.

When they were gone, Anne Boleyn turned back to the steward. “Bring me to the Queen. I would like to see her.”

He blanched. “Your Majesty, the Queen is very ill and it would go against my oath of loyalty to risk the health of the Emperor’s consort.”

Anne almost rolled her eyes.

“The Emperor is not here,” she said. It was something that she often told herself at night, when she cried of longing for him, missing the weight of her husband atop her and the way he could make her feel seen and understood. “He is not here and your Empress is telling you to bring me to the Queen. Must I remind you that you owe me loyalty as well, good man?”

He hesitated and she could tell why. She was an Empress, yes, but her father had been a knight, her family never sat on one of the European thrones. There were many still who felt they did not owe her the same type of respect they would have given to the Princess Mary, whose mother and father had been born in royal cribs.

But still, the steward nodded and waved her in, turning his back to her so she could follow him. Anne whispered orders for her ladies to have her own rooms be prepared before she walked inside the castle of Tordesillas, focusing her eyes forward with a clear goal in her head.

She heard the Queen before she even came close to her room, moaning and groaning, clearly in plain. There were others inside her chambers, speaking with her in ushed whispers and she was fighting against them, cursing in Castilian with a hoarse voice.

When they stopped before the doors, the steward turned to Anne. “Open them,” she said, calmly. He hesitated but with a simple quirk of her eyebrows, he did so, letting her enter.

The first thing she smelled was incense and holy oils. Then, the smell of excrement and urine burned her nostrils. She opened her mouth, trying not to gag and stepped inside, her heels tapping against the floor. The five nuns that were inside turned to look at her, falling into curtsies when they saw who it was, but Anne didn’t have time for them. She simply looked at her mother-in-law and her heart stopped beating.

The Queen looked dead. Her face was pale and gaunt, her skin hanging like parchment after losing so much weight. Her chest was wet with sweat and her arms were bloody, clear thin cuts covering every inch of skin, clearly made by a mad man.

“What is the meaning of this?” she asked, desperate. “Are you trying to kill your Queen?”

One of the nuns stepped forward. “Your Majesty, this is the treatment that the physicians ordered…”

“Have they?” she asked. She pointed at the soiled sheets around Juana. “And this? I imagine it was part of the medicine, as well?”

They shook their heads. “The Queen will not let us bathe her. The demon in her head makes her fight us.”

“So, you simply gave up?” Anne turned back to the steward. “Find four of the strongest men that work here and have the maids draw up a bath for Her Majesty. We will need to change the sheets and clean the mattress, so the Queen will sleep in another room tonight. I expect there to be a warm meal awaiting her there. Am I clear?”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” said the steward before leaving the room. The nuns left as well and Anne was alone with her mother-in-law. When she stepped closer to the Queen, she pressed a piece of cloth against her nose for just a second before removing it completely, along with her gloves.

The Queen stiffened when she touched her forehead, wet with sweat and hot with fever. Her feverish eyes opened up, a swirling blue full of pain, and when she looked at Anne, a confused expression came to her once beautiful face. “Why are you helping me?” she asked weakly.

The answer came easily to Anne. “Because everyone deserves kindness,” she said, softly, stroking the grey hairs away from her face. “And the world hasn't been kind to you in a very long time."

10th of June, 1524.
  • Eltham Palace, England. 10th of June, 1524.

“Kathy?” the little red-headed boy called out, kneeling to look under a chair. “Kathy? Kathy, where? Kathy?”

Lady Margaret Bryan observed Prince John with a slight grimace, watching as he moved around the room, seeking his twin sister, not knowing that she was no longer with them. The other nurses were much of the same, watching and observing, not knowing what to do. Lady Bryan knew she should step forward and distract the Prince with something else, something to take his mind off the Katherine matter, but for everything in her, she couldn’t move. She was frozen in place, watching her precious charge walk around, calling for his dead sister.

“Kathy hiding?” he asked the air. “Kathy? Come John. John calling. John kisses.” He kissed the air, as if that would make the dead rise, and walked around in a circle. His white skirts dragged behind him and Lady Bryan felt her feet move at the sight of the expensive fabric against the carpeted floor, a reminder of who was this child and what her duties were.

“Come, Your Highness,” she tried, extending him a hand. “It’s almost time for your afternoon meal.” John Tudor merely looked at her with disinterest, before turning back, walking as fast as his little legs could carry him to the room he once shared with Princess Katherine.

“Kathy!” he called out. “John want you!” He was unable to get very far though, because, in his haste, he tripped over his dress, falling harshly on his face. The shrill cry that rang from him was partly because of the pain and part because of his disappointment in not finding his sister. Lady Bryan and the nurses present gasped, running forward to catch him, the Prince struggling to stand up again.

“Hush now, child,” Lady Bryan said as she picked him up. Prince John wrapped his arms around her neck, holding tightly to her, his tears falling onto her shoulder. His cry turned into big gulping sobs, his cheeks red with the exertion, but as she manoeuvred him to check his face for any injuries, she saw that there were none. “It’s alright. It’s alright. I’m here. You are well.”

“La-y B-yan, I want Kathy!” he cried. Lady Bryan pressed a hand to his fine red hair, stroking his head soothingly, the way he liked.

“I know, Your Highness,” she said, trying her best to sound comforting and reassuring. “But we have talked about this. Princess Katherine is with our Lord now.”

“No!” He rubbed his face against the cloth on her shoulder, his chest shaking as he cried.

“I’m so sorry, child, but our Lord’s actions can’t be undone sometimes,” she told him. John’s arms tightened around her neck, his nose touching the curve of her neck that was left bared despite the high neckline of her dress. Lady Bryan turned to the other nurses, who were watching her carefully, waiting for her instructions. “Have the cooks prepare a warm meal for His Highness, Elizabeth. Some stew will be acceptable, but nothing too elaborate, please, otherwise we will upset his stomach. Rabbit, perhaps, or maybe beef, if that is not available. I will also want fresh fruits for the Prince. Apples, pomegranates, anything that can be found.” The Prince, much like other children of his age and his own father, took comfort in food and, though Lady Bryan was careful not to overfeed him, she thought this was a prime moment to indulge him. Too much crying could lead to him getting sick and passing away like his sister did and then, no one in England could save her if that happened.

--

Château de Blois, France. 24th of July, 1524.

“The Emperor has left Milan, Your Majesty,” said one of his attendants. Francis couldn’t remember his name. Instead, he turned his eyes to the map that was sprawled before him, chess pieces showcasing each player in this great war. Francis was the white king, whereas the Emperor was his enemy, the black king.

“Whereas has he gone?” he asked, his eyes moving to the black queen centred in Castile. The Empress, Anne Boleyn, a woman he once trusted to take care of his wife, a woman who was called a close friend by his sister-in-law, a once protegée of his sister. The irony was not lost on him. At first, he had hoped to use the marriage to his advantage, to use Claude and Renée on convincing Anne to be his ally at the imperial court, his spy, but it did not work. If Francis was to be honest, he doubted the two sisters had even written what he told them to write. “Spain?”

“We do not believe so, Sire,” said another advisor. Francis barely raised his head, not looking at anyone beyond the pieces of chess before him. The knight in England, a white knight, remained stagnant, unwilling to follow Francis’ command and enter the war, not even to save his own daughter’s betrothal. The King of France shook his head. Henry Tudor really was a coward. “According to our spies, the Emperor is on his way to the Low Countries. His aunt, the Dowager Duchess of Savoy, holds court at Mechelen. The Emperor’s younger sister, Elizabeth, lives there as well, along with her youngest daughter, Christina of Denmark.” Francis nodded, though he barely heard it.

“What path has he taken?” The Low Countries stood between France and the Empire. If Charles was stupid enough to travel through France, it would be highly advantageous to Francis.

“We do not know yet, Sire,” said the first man. Francis grunted, pressing a hand to his forehead. Incompetents, all of them. “But we are hopeful. The Emperor is a hard man to miss.”

“Your Majesty?” The door opened and a woman stepped forward, wearing simple blue garments and an oppressive blue hood that hid too much of her face. Francis recognized her as one of his wife’s attendants, though her pale face could never have stirred his loins enough for him to remember her name. “The Queen is very ill. She requests your presence in her chambers.”

Francis waved her away. Claude was always ill and he did not have time for this. He needed to capture the Emperor, to regain Milan so he could move forward and take Naples and the Low Countries. He couldn’t worry about his wife’s constant illnesses, especially considering it was very likely she would still be ill when this war finally ended.

“I will come later,” he told the woman. She didn’t make a face of disappointment, but he could see the slight twitch of her lips as she made a curtsy and left, the door closing behind her. “And Henry? The fat fool of England? Where is he now?”

“In Kent, Your Majesty,” said a voice. Francis raised his head and looked at Anne de Montmorency, one of his most loyal subjects. “We have words that he is overseeing the construction of a new fleet.”

He nodded. That could be both good and bad for him, depending on where on the sea Henry set those ships. “Can we confirm Tudor’s desire to join us in battle?”

Montmorency dropped his head. “We cannot, Sire. Wolsey has informed us that the King is incensed, though he attempts to convince him of the opportunity if he joins our ranks against the Emperor.”

Francis shook his head. He didn’t need to hear anything else.

“We must prepare for Tudor’s attack. Anne, I trust you to raise three thousand men and take them to Calais, to await the English. After you have sent them back to where they come from, I will arrive with another three thousand and we shall march into the Low Countries.” The smile he gave his men was feral. “We shall welcome Charles and Henry with fire and steel.”

The door opened again and the same woman from before stepped inside, face ashen. Francis grunted at the sight of her.

“Tell the Queen I will see her when I can!” he grunted out, grabbing a goblet of wine beside him.

“Your Majesty, that won’t be possible,” said the woman. “Her Majesty is dead.”

Oh. Francis took a long gulp of his drink. That certainly changed things.

Last edited:
    1st of August, 1524.
  • Richmond Palace, England. 1st of August, 1524.

He rolled on the heels of his feet, uncaring of who saw him. Henry looked around himself, swallowing the need to go back to the window to watch if they had arrived yet. His heart thrummed repeatedly in his chest, anxious and giddy with excitement. It had only been an hour since the rider came from Eltham, informing that Lady Bryan would be arriving with the Prince of Wales shortly, and he still couldn’t handle the intense desire in his chest to see his little son, to have him in his arms.

He took a gulp of his goblet of wine, swallowing heavily at the bitter state in his mouth. Perhaps he shouldn’t be drinking right before seeing his son, but he was nervous. He hadn’t seen John in quite some time, and he didn’t know how the boy would react to the sight of him. Would he even recognize him? Henry rubbed his jaw; he had been growing a beard recently, trying out a new style.

The door to his chambers opened before he could continue pondering and he swallowed dryly, setting his goblet aside. A page, that had been hidden in the shadows waiting to be needed, quickly picked it up before scurrying it away again. Henry paid him no mind, not now when Lady Bryan was entering the room, holding the hand of his precious little boy within her firm fingers.

He looked different. Not in the sense of this being a completely strange child, but in the sense that the boy had grown. John was closer to two years old than to his infancy and this was translated well in his appearance. His hair was longer, falling in straight red tresses on his eyes and his face was slimmer as well, with the Prince losing the baby weight. Henry knew that was normal for a child of his age. As he started to run and walk around more easily, John shed the fat he had gained in the months after his birth with the rich milk of his wet nurse.

He shouldn’t worry and yet Henry found himself doing just that, pondering if the slight shadows under his son’s eyes were a sign of illness or a simple trick of the lights. John was holding an armful of his skirts, holding Lady Bryan’s hand tightly and Henry fell to his knees as Lady Bryan said, “Prince John, Your Majesty,” opening his arms wide.

“Come closer, my boy.” John hesitated as he rose from his curtsy, looking over to his governess and Lady Bryan gave him a tight smile, nodding over to the King. “Come to your father.” John let go of Lady Bryan’s hand and gave steady steps towards his father, a small smile curling his lips. When he was sufficiently close, Henry pulled the boy into a tight embrace and rose to his feet. “My son...”

John wrapped his arms around Henry’s neck and the King felt a weight lift itself off his shoulders. His son had a tight grip on him and he pressed a hand to his back, feeling the steady rises and falls of his body as he breathed. He dipped his nose in the curve of John’s neck, inhaling his sweet baby smell, and sighed.

When he opened his eyes again, he was not surprised by the tears that bubbled in. How long had he waited for a son? Too long. Too many lost boys, too many pregnancies and it all led to this. A healthy male child of his in his arms, with Tudor red hair and born on the right side of the bedsheets. A Prince of Wales, his son. His John. His gift from God.

He pressed a shaky and teary kiss to John’s forehead, which was covered in a laced white cap. John rose his head from where he was hiding it in Henry’s neck and smiled, pulling at his beard. “How are you, my boy? Have you been giving too much trouble to the Lady Bryan?” He looked at the woman as he spoke, indicating the question was more for her than to the Prince.

“Not at all, Your Majesty,” she responded with a fond expression on his face. “The Prince is a most darling and sweet child. I don’t believe I have ever been given cause to be troubled by him or his behaviour.”

“Really?” He didn’t know whether or not to be worried by that. Shouldn’t boys be causing chaos in their nurseries? Especially one with the Tudor name. Perhaps John was more placid than normal, more like Catherine than like him, but Henry didn’t know whether that was good or not. A king should have a strong head, a firm hand and a true heart, but he didn’t know whether these traits showed themselves early or not. He hadn’t been around for Arthur’s infancy, was too young to remember his own and little Edmund never reached the age of John had at that moment.

But Lady Bryan didn’t seem worried, so he decided not to. She had more experience with children after all. It was why he chose her to take care of his little ones.

“Oh, yes, Your Majesty,” she said, eager to praise her charge. “Prince John has charmed everyone in the nursery and I find myself having to rotate those who are around him so no one will be jealous. All of the ladies wish to stay with him at all times, to choose his clothing and help him play. His Highness is a credit to you, Sire, in every way.”

Henry smiled and looked at John, who was distracted with the golden collar of his doublet. “If what you say is true, my lady, then one day, we shall have many ladies at court with their hearts broken by this little boy.” Lady Bryan smiled and Henry turned his gaze away, looking at his son. “How are you? Have you missed me?”

“Yes,” John murmured, playing with the clasps on his doublet. “I missed the King very much so. And the Queen! And the dogs!”

“Oh.” Henry pressed John a little closer, awed by the clarity in his words. When they parted, he placed the child on the floor, kneeling before him. “I’m sure the Queen has missed you as well, but I’m afraid you can’t see her as of yet. She is in confinement with your little brother.” John frowned, confused, but he opened his mouth once and then twice, trying to ask, but not being old enough to put his feelings into words. “Do you know what confinement is, John?”

“No, Yo-r Majes-y,” said John, flushing as the words came tumbling out of his mouth. He looked at his feet, embarrassed.

Henry curled a finger under his soft little chin, raising the boy’s head forcefully. “Confinement is when a woman goes to prepare to give birth. The Queen is going to have a baby, so she needs to stay very still and very quiet, so our Duke of York can be healthy and beautiful. We want him to be beautiful and hale when he comes out, don’t we?”

“Yes!” John nodded enthusiastically. “But I will be quiet. Very quiet! John will kiss the Queen and not make a sound!” He put a hand to his lips as if to make his point clear and Henry wondered where he learned such a gesture. He imagined Lady Bryan did it frequently in the nursery at Eltham Palace.

“I’m sure you will try,” Henry murmured fondly. “But the Queen loves you very much, son. Seeing you will be too much excitement for her and the child in her womb.” John pouted, letting his head drop, and Henry saw the small tears that started to slide down his chubby cheeks. “But if you promise to be good, I swear that you will see the Queen as soon as she comes out of her confinement. I will soon have to leave for France, but I trust you to take care of everything when I’m gone. Will you look after your mother and your sister?”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” said John, confidently. Henry smiled and pressed a kiss to his cheek before rising on his feet, walking to a large chest that had been placed in the middle of the room.

“Here, my boy,” said Henry. “What you will need in your great mission.” John looked at him for confirmation and with the small nod of Henry, the Prince opened up the chest with a grunt. The delighted gasp that came to him at the sight of the toys was music to the King’s ears, especially when the first thing his son pulled out was a large wooden sword.

With John distracted with the new toys, Henry took advantage of the intimacy to step closer to Lady Bryan, observing her fond expression as she looked at her precious charge.

“Lady Bryan, may I be honest with you?” he asked. Lady Bryan looked at him with wide eyes, almost surprised at the sight of her King speaking to her, but she quickly schooled her face into a smooth expression of placid neutrality.

“Of course, Your Majesty,” she answered, demure. “I live to serve my King.”

Henry nodded, pleased. “Soon enough, there shall be a new prince in the royal nursery and I wish for you to pay as much attention to him as you have paid to Prince John.” She opened her mouth as if to speak, but remembering one mustn’t interrupt the King, closed it quickly. “I have decided that much like my brother and my uncle Edward did in their lifetime, I wish for John to be sent to Ludlow as quickly as possible and have already made arrangements for him to start the journey to Wales on his second birthday, along with a number of noble boys that will serve as his companions.” He waited for the words to be processed before he continued. “Since John has not yet reached the age of reason and will remain in the care of a governess for another three years, I wish to hear your opinion of women who may be suitable to replace you as governess to the Prince of Wales.”

“Oh, Your Majesty,” said Lady Bryan. The news had certainly surprised her, but the woman was clever and quickly recomposed herself, thinking deeply. “May I be so bold as to ask the names of the boys Your Majesty intends to serve as the Prince’s companions? So I can be sure of the woman with the proper nature to deal with them.”

“Of course, you may,” Henry responded. “My nephew, the Earl of Lincoln; the Earl of Surrey; my kinsmen, Henry Courtenay; Thomas Paston and, of course, Charles Howard, son of Lord Edmund.”

Lady Bryan nodded. “Then, Sire, if I may, I don't think there is any woman more prepared for the task than Lady Willoughby. Though the Baroness was not blessed with many children, the trouble she met with her brother-in-law might have given her the strength of character to deal with such rambunctious and active boys." She smiled then, a rare action from her. "And I know the Baroness will see it as an honour and will be very glad to take care of the Prince, not just for the love of him, but for the love she had for his mother, Queen Catherine." Those last words were said carefully, watching his reactions for any trouble she might have caused by mentioning his dead wife.

But Henry barely paid attention to the pain her words caused. Instead, he nodded, eyes going over to his son. John had entered the chest of toys and was playing inside it, laughing as he moved a toy soldier around.

He looked back at Lady Bryan and nodded. "Thank you, my lady. I will trust you to arrange everything. The campaign in France can take many months." He didn't need to say that he might not be in England to see his son turn two, though he dared not say or even think that he may lose his life in the continent, lest he tempts providence. "Cardinal Wolsey shall remain as regent. If there is anything you need, please, go to him."

She nodded and said something, but Henry barely listened to her. Instead, he just walked to his son and removed him from the chest, kneeling on the floor to play with him in his last week on English soil.

3rd of August, 1524.
  • Palace of Placentia, England. 3rd of August, 1524.

Isabella grunted, letting her head fall back against the soft pillows propped up on the bed. Her entire body was tensing up, as it had done for the past hours, and she could feel the eyes of everyone in the room on her. Her Portuguese ladies were beside her, murmuring encouragements in their mother tongue, while her English ladies exchanged worried glances, their grimaces tightening with each passing minute that failed to show progress in her labour.

The Queen clutched her crucifix tightly in her hand, praying deeply between each breath. Her golden hair clinged to her forehead, her entire body covered in a sheen of sweat and her muscles burned with the exertion of hours trying to push her child without any success. “Ave Maria, cheia de graça, o Senhor és convosco, bendita sois vós entre as mulheres, e bendito és o fruto de vosso ventre, Jesus.

Leonor held her hand tightly, while another, Margarida, brushed her hair away from her face. Isabella saw the face of the physician sent to attend to her and the pinched expression of her midwife, Mistress Matthos. Whatever they saw between her legs, it was not good.

But it was not too late. She could do this. She knew she could. Her mother had given birth to ten children. Henry had been made to rule and she had been made to do this, to bear him heirs.

Maud Parr moved Margarida away, taking her hand tightly within hers. “The child is lazy, Your Majesty,” she said, determined. “You must force him out.”

Isabella shook her head, tears springing up on her eyes. “It’s what I have been doing for hours!” she cried out. “What else can I do?”

“Suffer,” Lady Parr said plainly. At Isabella’s expression, Maud pressed a wet rag to her forehead, cleaning her sweat and cooling down her face. “I don’t see it in your face, madam.”

“I can’t,” the Queen determinedly said. “Don’t ask me to make a scandal. If I have to die, I accept my fate.” She closed her eyes again. Santa Maria, Mãe de Deus, rogai por nós, pecadores, agora e na hora da nossa morte. Amém. She held on to her language, to her faith. She’d die as both an English Queen and a Portuguese Infanta, or so would help her the Lord.

“For goodness’ sake,” said Maud Parr, stroking her hand. “Your Majesty, this is the moment to forget your decency. Scream. Curse with all your soul or else the child will not come out.”

Isabella shook her head, determined.

“I shall die, but I shall not scream.” Maud made a frustrated sound and walked out. Isabella barely paid attention to anything, until her lady returned, holding a thick white sheet in her hands.

“This way nobody will see your face, but you must scream! You must force the child out of you,” she murmured. “For his sake, if not for your own.”

She could barely speak before Maud covered her face with the veil. Isabella was hit with another wave of pain at the same time and with the fabric covering her features, she allowed herself to scream and to push. Her expression must surely be one of pain and suffering, but she didn’t care. She couldn’t care.

It felt like an eternity before the pressure eased all over her and a shrill cry rang out in the room. It was loud, angry and born from a clear pair of strong lungs. Isabella sagged against her bed, exhausted tears sliding down her flushed cheeks. The ladies around her let out relieved sighs and the fabric was removed from her face, allowing her to see the world once again. Isabella could barely think before her eyes searched for the source of the crying as her midwives cleaned her, still holding the hand of her ladies.

“What is it?” she asked out. “Is something wrong?”

“No, no, Your Majesty,” Maud Parr was quick to say, rubbing her forehead gently.

“Dr Linacre!” Isabella called out, watching the man’s back as he worked on a table not far from her bed. “What is it? What have I given birth to?”

The royal physician turned to her and Isabella finally saw the wrapped-up bundle in his arms. It was moving around wildly, arms and legs wiggling away from its swaddlings and the smile on the man’s face told her everything she should know even before he said the words.

“Your Majesty, you have given birth to a healthy boy,” he announced and excited claps rang out from the attendants. “We have a Duke of York.”

“Edward,” Isabella murmured weakly. “The King told me to call him Edward.”

After she pushed out the afterbirth, the sheets were changed as well as her soiled shift. Isabella was so exhausted that she did not fight against the hands that sponged down her body, cleaning away her sweat, the blood and fluids that had gathered around her. Leonor brushed her hair and braided it, pinning it up into a low bun to allow the back of her neck to dry.

“Send a rider to His Majesty,” she said, looking at her ladies. “He has not left for his war and he will want to know about the birth of his son.”

Margarida made a curtsy. “Yes, Your Majesty,” she said before leaving, certainly to look for the fastest rider available in Placentia.

They placed Edward on her arms after he had his first feeding, his little face twisted into an angry expression as he looked around him. The Queen chuckled, pressing a kiss to his face. He was large, very large, with the roundest cheeks she had ever seen, but he looked offended at the world around him, almost as if being born had been an inconvenience.

“Eight pounds,” someone murmured. She couldn’t be bothered to see who it was. “It was a miracle for him to be born so easily.” Isabella tried not to roll her eyes. The birth was anything, but easy for her, though she supposes it must have looked so for the outsiders.

“My sweet Edward,” she whispered to her son. He had wisps of blonde hair on his head and his eyes were still a murky shade of blue. Isabella knew that children were not usually born with the colouring they would for the rest of their lives, but she couldn’t help thinking that it wouldn’t be so bad if her little boy did indeed grow to look more like her than his father. “My little York boy. Bendito seja.”

--

Vienna, Austria. 12th of August, 1524.

Ferdinand ran his hands down George’s side, feeling the warm softness of his skin against his own, bare with his hand tucked under the fabric of his shirt. When he reached the sight of his injury, he focused a bit more, fingertips touching the angry and puckered flesh, feeling around the scar.

George raised his head, separating their lips, and looked down at Ferdinand with wide eyes. “What are you doing?” he asked, breathless. His mouth was red with the roughness of their kiss and his cheeks were flushed, but when Ferdinand slid another hand under his clothes, George shivered.

“Let me see it,” the Archduke asked. “I want to see it.”

“It’s ugly,” George complained. “You won’t like it.”

Ferdinand smirked. “It can’t be much worse than your face is already,” he murmured. George made an offended face, tugging at his hair, and he whined, pushing him away half-heartedly. “Stop it.”

“You think you’re funny, aren’t you?” George said. “Maybe your brother should have made you court jester, instead of Archduke. It would really make your true talents blossom.”

“If I’m the jester, then what are you?” he asked. “The pig from the feast?”

“You wound me, Ferdinand,” George murmured with a pout. He tried to move away, moaning in pain and Ferdinand laughed, holding on to the lapel of his doublet to pull him even closer. Their lips met in a laughing kiss, with their tongues barely meeting, and George threw his weight on top of him again, pushing the air out of his lungs.

“Ugh…” he grunted. “You’re so heavy.”

“It’s the German food,” George murmured before sitting back on his ankles, straddling him. Ferdinand rose to his elbows, looking intently as the Duke pulled his shirt up to expose the side of his chest, where a Frenchman had once stabbed him with a dagger and left him to die.

It was on George’s left, the skin an angry red over the shape of the sutures. They had already removed the stitches, but his flesh was still puckered and twisted around and it would take a long time, if ever, for it to smooth down. The Duke of Württemberg would have a scar for the rest of his life, but at least, he’d live.

“It looks much better,” Ferdinand murmured.

“It does,” George agreed. “It only hurts when it’s cold, or when it’s going to rain. I barely think of it now.”

“I think of it all the time.” Ferdinand leaned in and pressed his lips to the scar. George shivered and his hands moved, letting the shirt fall back down as he placed his hold on Ferdinand’s shoulders. The Archduke gasped as he was pushed down to bed, George’s lips planting on his neck and he was barely able to think as the man tried to stick his hands between them. “Anna… Ah… Anna wanted me to speak to you.”

“About what?” George did not move his lips, his hands sliding up and down Ferdinand’s chest. He could barely think.

“About your future,” he murmured. With a gasp, Ferdinand pushed the other man away, sitting back up to keep him far from him. George ran a hand through his dark curls in frustration, looking away and he almost pulled him close again, but he couldn’t. He had to think. Ferdinand took a deep breath in. “She has found you a wife.”

“What?” George frowned. “Why?”

“Because you asked her to, you fool,” Ferdinand said. “Before we left for Italy, remember? My wife is not the one to forget matters such as this one.”

“Why do I need a wife again?”

“Because you are a ruling duke, or you’re supposed to be one, anyway,” he murmured. George fell on the bed with a grimace, stretching his long legs out in front of him. “You need heirs, or else Ulrich von Württemberg will be able to reclaim his lands after your death.” George rolled his eyes and Ferdinand pushed his shoulder in anger. “Don’t be such an idiot! You need to have heirs. German heirs, preferably.”

“You sound so much like the Empress,” George complained, but he closed his eyes. “Fine, fine. Who is the lucky lady?”

“Johanna of Hanau-Lichtenberg,” Ferdinand said. “Her father is a count and close with the Elector Palatinate, which will give you an advantage when dealing with the German princes. His wife was the daughter of the Margrave of Baden and Lady Johanna’s uncles now rule the lands that stand between Württemberg and France. I can’t stress how important such an alliance can be for you.” He sighed, shaking his head, and thought it would be best to finish the whole thing at once. “She’s the eldest of her siblings and around seventeen years old, which means she can start having children as soon as you are wed.”

“Have you ever met her?”

Ferdinand shook his head, “But Anna has and she claims the Lady Johanna is intelligent, pious and sensible. I suppose you won’t have any troubles with her beyond your difficulties with German.”

George smiled, but then his face turned sombre. “May I at least see a portrait of her before I sign any marriage contract? I would hate to be attached to someone I’m not attracted to.”

“I’ll send my court painter to Bouxwiller,” he murmured. “But I imagine the Count will also ask a portrait of you, so Johanna may know your face as well.”

“That seems reasonable,” George answered. “I suppose my marriage will force me to reside in Württemberg for the first year, or so.” Ferdinand nodded and a smile cut across the Duke’s face before he forced himself into a sitting position. “Then I guess we’ll have to make the best of our time together.” George grabbed hold of his doublet and pulled him, so he’d lay atop of him, their lips meeting in a heady and lustful kiss.

Afterwards, when George had already returned to his rooms, Ferdinand was adjusting the laces on his breeches when the door opened. He turned, both surprised and shocked at the boldness, and he felt dread fill his stomach when he saw Anna, his wife, enter his chambers with a large smile on her face.

“Anna!” he exclaimed, eyes going to the rumpled sheets of his bed and his own state of disarray, but if she noticed, she said nothing. Despite the many months of George’s stay in Vienna, the Archduchess didn’t seem to know or notice his feelings for her husband and Ferdinand didn’t know whether to be glad or not for it. “What are you doing here? Is there something wrong?”

“Not at all,” Anna said, smiling wildly. “Much to the contrary, in fact. Everything is absolutely perfect.” She came close to him, her face beaming and Ferdinand held his breath. “I spoke to a woman today, an important woman.”

“Really? Who?”

“A midwife,” Anna murmured. She took his hand in hers, gently stroking his knuckles. “For the past two weeks, I’ve developed a special fondness for salmon. The type of fondness that I can’t simply ignore.” She brought his hand to her stomach as he spoke, splaying his fingers on the thick fabric of her bodice. “The midwife told me that this, along with some other symptoms, means that I am with child.” Her eyes were full of happy tears. “We’re going to be a family, Ferdinand.”

Last edited: