An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Yeah, and there is actually a difference between neglecting someone to death and having their head chopped off. Henry isn't dumb enough to outright execute a foreign wife.

Yeah, and there is actually a difference between neglecting someone to death and having their head chopped off. Henry isn't dumb enough to outright execute a foreign wife.
Even if Isabella didn't have a son, and little John didn't exist, she's only in her early twenties. There's nearly two decades yet for her to produce sons and unlike Anne Boleyn, he didn't isolate himself politically in marrying her, nor has she angered his most powerful advisors.

21st of December, 1525.
Toledo, Castile. 21st of December, 1525.​

Anne was seated beside her husband, her two hands resting on the carved arms of her chair. Charles was laughing, in a joyous mood, and he ate calmly, observing as his jester made a joke with one of the courtiers, a woman with blue eyes and golden hair. The man, or the fool, was trying to hide the lady’s earring from her and she laughed though she hesitated from stuffing her hands into his doublet to recover the jewel.

Instead of watching the entertainment, Anne had her eyes turned to her husband. He seemed happy enough, even joyous, and she willed herself to relax, settling her two hands atop her large belly. Her eyes returned to the crowd before her, observing the celebrations that had been taking the court because of the end of the year and the celebration of their Lord’s birth.

She brought a cup of watered down wine to her lips and took a small sip before settling away again. Despite everything that had been happening lately, she wanted to keep a clear head and everyone at court said a drunk mother would lead to a drunk child. Anne didn’t want to numb her head or her pain that night. She just needed a little bit of liquid courage to say what had to be said.

Anne leaned sideways towards Charles, placing her lips close to his ear. He turned to her slightly, as to indicate that he was listening.

"I heard Mary Tudor has been betrothed to the Dauphin," she started. "And will soon be married by proxy, so she may take up her marital residence in Nantes in the coming year."

Charles nodded. "It was one of the demands made by Francis in return for the marriage. Mary and François are to meet in Brittany in May, where they can be educated together and grow into their roles until they are able to consummate their marriage once the Duke turns fourteen."

"And you will allow such a thing?"

"What can I do?" he retorted. "Henry Tudor has the right to seek peace with King Francis. The terms of the treaty concern neither my lands nor my children."

"But Francis is here," insisted Anne. "And I heard in return for peace, Henry has to demand Francis' freedom before the Pope."

"What people do before the Pope is none of my interest," said Charles. "Francis was captured in battle, fair and square. He will remain here, no matter what the Holy Father says."

Anne nodded and licked her lips, leaning in even closer. "But shouldn't our daughter be the one marrying the Dauphin? Why are we letting such an important match slip from our fingers?"

"We're not," said Charles. "And our daughter will marry the Prince of Portugal. I've told you before."

"But King João has not accepted the offer, hasn't he?" Anne asked. "And Francis has daughters of age with our son. Can't you betroth them?" Charles sighed, shaking his head. "If we delay much longer in finding good matches for our children, then people will begin to talk."

"What is there to talk about?" questioned Charles. "Felipe is two and María, one. There is plenty of time for us to find spouses for them, as well as to convince King João of the advantages in marrying his son and heir to our daughter, and vice versa."

Anne hesitated, turning her eyes to the crowd, wanting to know if anyone was watching them discuss this important matter. Francis of France wasn't present, but there were still many powerful courtiers at the banquet.

"Then you should send my father to Lisbon," she said. Charles, who had turned his eyes back to his jester, shifted to her, confused. "He's a very skilled diplomat. I'm sure he will be able to convince King João for the double-betrothal."

"Your father?" Charles asked. With her now, he rubbed his jaw and leaned in, placing his mouth near her ear. "Why are you so keen to have your father away? Don't you want your family close, especially with your incoming confinement?"

Anne shrugged. "I want only what is best for our children," she said. "And I know it will please my father to be trusted with such a task."

"I see," answered Charles. "So, despite everything, you have not yet lost your ambition, even with your father denouncing you as his daughter before our son was born."

She flushed, but did not let it hit her. "I must do what I can for our family, mustn't I?" Anne looked away from him, settling her hands on the arms of her chair. "At least, one of us should work for our children."

Charles started laughing. "I see how it is," he said, amused. "And what do you think I should do? Beyond marrying our heirs with the Valois?"

"Assume control of Burgundy," she said. "Even if you have Francis sign a peace treaty, he will simply denounce it as soon as he reaches Paris. If you have military or political control of the duchy, however, you'll be more likely to hold it later."

Charles nodded. "And how do you know that?"

"I served Francis' wife for many years," said Anne. "I knew him well."

Charles nodded and stood up, offering her a hand, so she did as well. The music had stopped and everyone present was watching them, but her husband only had eyes for her.

"Then there is much for us to talk about," he said, pressing a kiss to her knuckles.

This scene reminds me of those in the tudors where anne and Catherine try to help Henry in his rule and he's ungrateful about it

"Then you should send my father to Lisbon," she said. Charles, who had turned his eyes back to his jester, shifted to her, confused. "He's a very skilled diplomat. I'm sure he will be able to convince King João for the double-betrothal."

"Your father?" Charles asked. With her now, he rubbed his jaw and leaned in, placing his mouth near her ear. "Why are you so keen to have your father away? Don't you want your family close, especially with your incoming confinement?"

Anne shrugged. "I want only what is best for our children," she said. "And I know it will please my father to be trusted with such a task."

"I see," answered Charles. "So, despite everything, you have not yet lost your ambition, even with your father denouncing you as his daughter before our son was born."
Not sure how effective Thomas Boleyn would be at winning João over but I can say I’d love to see his attempts. Also quite the low blow from Charles there, considering Anne’s taking the rather ideal consort path of reconciliation.

Well, I think Charles is more accidentally being a jerk here, sort of an unknowing fool, sort of like when Henry compared Isabella to her aunt. In any case, I do think Thomas would actually do fairly well in negotiating with the Portuguese, so long as Joao does not judge him for his lower origins. Great chapter!

I do think Thomas would actually do fairly well in negotiating with the Portuguese, so long as Joao does not judge him for his lower origins. Great chapter!
Thomas' origins are suitable for an ambassador, but it's worth thinking whether João will judge his intentions as he is the infantes' grandfather.

Yeah. Even if Charles gets angry with Anne, it still will look better than chopping her head off.
Yes and Charles was a lot more open to women in politics, as well as used to considering his maternal inheritance, ad well as that his female relatives like wife, aunt, sister and daughters served as his regents throughout his various territories.

Yes and Charles was a lot more open to women in politics, as well as used to considering his maternal inheritance, ad well as that his female relatives like wife, aunt, sister and daughters served as his regents throughout his various territories.
Very much true.