An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Oh my, Anna has made quite the discovery, I only hope that she is not too hurt by it, and can keep Ferdinand and George's relationship a secret... Hmm, Thomas and Elizabeth (presumably) joining their daughter Anne in Spain would be quite interesting... Lovely chapter!
Thank you for your comment!!! And we'll see how Anna reacts to her husband's secret very soon!

I immediately knew what was going to happen when Anna went looking for Ferdinand and I was so afraid that the shock would make her miscarry. I'm glad she and the baby are fine and I love that she just apologized for interrupting.
Also "I can explain" 😂, Ferdinand you were literally caught with your pants down what are you going to explain?
I assume the Boleyns are going to Spain, so I look forward to Anne reuniting with her parents.

21st of June, 1525.
Toledo, Castile. 21st of June, 1525.

“I want our ambassador in Lisbon to use all his power and abilities to convince my cousin to the match between our children,” Charles said to Gattinara as his private secretary, seated by the corner of the large chamber, noted down everything that the two other men spoke. “Leonor is for the double-betrothal as well, so he will have her support in the matter and everyone knows João listens to what my sister says more often than not.”

Gattinara nodded, taking down his notes. “We must be ready to offer something for the King, in return for this alliance,” he said, raising his eyes slightly to look at the Emperor. “Perhaps trade between the colonies or maybe help in policing the land of Brazil against French and Dutch raids, which are under the Emperor’s rule in the Low Countries. If we were to denounce our merchants and prohibit their sales of brazilwood in the Imperial lands, I’m sure King João will be much appreciated.”

Charles shook his head. “Brazil is not important to Lisbon,” he responded. “If it were, João would have done something against those raids already.”

Gattinara nodded and made another note, opening his books to search for something else that they could use to convince the King of Portugal. Charles sighed and rubbed his face, tired of it all. He had spent the night with Anne, though they didn’t spend barely any moment sleeping. His body was spent and he drank a long gulp of wine, wanting to do nothing else than to return to his chambers and catch up on the lost sleep.

If anything, the nights he spent between the Empress’ legs brought him closer and closer to having a Duke of Burgundy of his own. That was enough to convince him to continue, even if the pleasure he felt with his wife was not to his tastes.

“Your Majesty,” said a groom at the door, “The English ambassador wishes to speak to you.”

“Send him in.” Charles looked at Gattinara, nodding at him to stay.

The English ambassador was a rather young man, recently arrived in Spain. He was over six feet tall and very handsome, as well as physically strong. Charles remained seated when Thomas Wyatt entered, bowing deeply before him, and waved for him to start speaking.

“Your Majesty, I hoped you might have given more thought to what we spoke yesterday,” he started, his two hands closed before him.

Charles nodded. Thomas Wyatt had found him after mass on the day before to discuss a marriage between his liege’s daughter and his own former betrothed, Princess Mary of England, and the Prince of Asturias. The Emperor had told him he’d think about it before, even though he already had an answer for the offer, lest the man thinks he was so against a union with King Henry.

In truth, Charles didn’t think Mary was enough for his son. Not only was she older than Felipe, and with a larger age gap than what Charles thought unproblematic, but with two younger brothers, it was unlikely she would ever inherit anything from her father. Had she continued to be heiress presumptive to England, the situation would have been different and he would have felt forced to reconsider the whole matter, but fortunately, she was not.

“I have, Master Wyatt, and I believe a marriage between my son and Princess Mary is not in the best interests of our two countries,” he said. Thomas Wyatt, for his sake, did not appear to be in anywhere troubled by his answer. Maybe he was even already expecting it and he simply nodded, calm neutrality stamped on his face.

“Of course, Your Majesty,” he said. “I must, of course, inform the Emperor that my King is most eager for a union between your two royal families, as had once been the ambition of his beloved father, King Henry VII.”

“And I understand that, Master Wyatt,” said Charles. He exchanged a glance with Gattinara, so the man might be sure of his true intentions. “Which is why I promise you that if the Empress were to be blessed with a daughter within a year, I’d be most pleased to marry her to the Prince of Wales. In fact, I announce my intention now to name my daughter, if she is to born, after my aunt, Queen Catherine. This, I hope, will show the King how much I love and care for him.”

Thomas Wyat nodded, a weak smile taking his pink lips, but Charles did not miss the way his jaw trembled slightly with his words, his throat dipping as he gulped. “If that is the wish of our Lord, then I am sure the Empress will be blessed with many children from you, Your Majesty.”

Charles arched his eyebrow. Then, because he could not hold himself back, he asked, “The Empress is native to your lands, Master Wyatt. Am I remiss in assuming you are familiar with her?”

Thomas’ eyes widened in alarm, but he quickly composed himself. “The Empress’ father was an old friend of mine own before his death, Your Majesty. I’m well acquainted with all of the Boleyns.”

Charles nodded, even if he wasn’t satisfied with his answer, and nodded for him to go. When he was far away, the Emperor turned to Gattinara, seeing a quizzical expression on his advisor’s face.

“What are you thinking, Your Majesty?” he asked.

“I trust my wife,” Charles said, “But I don’t trust the English bulldog. I want him watched at all times.”

Gattinara nodded. It was already done.

--

Anne entered her chambers with her head held high, removing her riding gloves with nimble fingers. She nodded at her ladies, Lina and Elvira, as well as some others daughters, sisters and wives of Iberian nobles of her husband. They greeted her with cold politeness, but nothing more and she longed for the days where George stayed with her in Toledo, keeping her company, but now all she had from her brother were letters.

She knew this was for the best. His stay in Germany increased their connections throughout the Empire and she heard enough rumours about him marrying someone from the German princely families to know he was doing just that. If he convinced them of his worth, of their worth, then it was more likely she’d be respected as Empress if she ever wore to leave Iberia, but still… She missed her brother. She missed someone who understood her, who truly loved her and wasn’t just her husband or one of her children. Someone with whom she could speak in English, who knew from where she came from and did not care about it.

It was frustrating. There was no other word for it, but it was her life. She chose to marry Charles, to leave her country and people behind for the idea of a future in the Habsburg lands, as an Empress with children who’d be more than just nobles in another men’s court. Anne chose her life and so, she had to make her peace with it.

Two of her ladies unlaced her dress and she laid down in the bed, pulling the sheets over her frame. She was so tired. Charles had been practically unsatiable the night before, probably because of all of the time they were apart, without any way to sate their need for each other. In fact, they were barely able to speak whenever they saw each other before they were in each other’s arms, pulling away at their clothes so they could touch naked skin to naked skin.

The result, beyond increasing her chances of conceiving again, was that she could barely sleep at night. Because of it, Anne had to rest before she fell asleep while walking around the castle, lest she humiliate herself in front of those Castilians who already had enough reason to dislike her.

But she wasn’t able to fall asleep, even when all of her ladies left and the curtains were pulled to keep the sunlight out. As soon as she laid down on the bed, she felt a sharp point poking at her back. Anne shuddered at the sensation, her entire body tensing up, and she moved off the bed, running a hand down the mattress. There was a rectangular shape under the sheets and she remembered the night Charles found a protestant book in her bedroom, the fight that followed it.

Anne shoved her hand between the mattress and the bed, finding a leather covering rubbing against her fingers. She pulled the book out, confused and her entire body was filled with panic, even before she opened on the first page to see the title and the author.

De Libertate Christiana. On the Freedom of a Christian, by Martin Luther.

Anne felt her mouth run dry and she looked up, almost expecting Charles to come running inside her chambers, ready to pounce on her for failing his test, but the doors remained close. She could hear some of her ladies moving about on the antechamber, picking up small things to do before she woke up, occupying their minds and hands. But they didn’t seem aware of what had just happened.

She flicked the page. There was an inscription written on the corner of the page, curling around the printed words.

For my greatest and truest friend. TW.

I was really determined to write ahead, so I could finally get to the part I actually want to write which are the 1530s, but I'm just not made for this :(

Toledo, Castile. 21st of June, 1525.

“I want our ambassador in Lisbon to use all his power and abilities to convince my cousin to the match between our children,” Charles said to Gattinara as his private secretary, seated by the corner of the large chamber, noted down everything that the two other men spoke. “Leonor is for the double-betrothal as well, so he will have her support in the matter and everyone knows João listens to what my sister says more often than not.”

Gattinara nodded, taking down his notes. “We must be ready to offer something for the King, in return for this alliance,” he said, raising his eyes slightly to look at the Emperor. “Perhaps trade between the colonies or maybe help in policing the land of Brazil against French and Dutch raids, which are under the Emperor’s rule in the Low Countries. If we were to denounce our merchants and prohibit their sales of brazilwood in the Imperial lands, I’m sure King João will be much appreciated.”

Charles shook his head. “Brazil is not important to Lisbon,” he responded. “If it were, João would have done something against those raids already.”

Gattinara nodded and made another note, opening his books to search for something else that they could use to convince the King of Portugal. Charles sighed and rubbed his face, tired of it all. He had spent the night with Anne, though they didn’t spend barely any moment sleeping. His body was spent and he drank a long gulp of wine, wanting to do nothing else than to return to his chambers and catch up on the lost sleep.

If anything, the nights he spent between the Empress’ legs brought him closer and closer to having a Duke of Burgundy of his own. That was enough to convince him to continue, even if the pleasure he felt with his wife was not to his tastes.

“Your Majesty,” said a groom at the door, “The English ambassador wishes to speak to you.”

“Send him in.” Charles looked at Gattinara, nodding at him to stay.

The English ambassador was a rather young man, recently arrived in Spain. He was over six feet tall and very handsome, as well as physically strong. Charles remained seated when Thomas Wyatt entered, bowing deeply before him, and waved for him to start speaking.

“Your Majesty, I hoped you might have given more thought to what we spoke yesterday,” he started, his two hands closed before him.

Charles nodded. Thomas Wyatt had found him after mass on the day before to discuss a marriage between his liege’s daughter and his own former betrothed, Princess Mary of England, and the Prince of Asturias. The Emperor had told him he’d think about it before, even though he already had an answer for the offer, lest the man thinks he was so against a union with King Henry.

In truth, Charles didn’t think Mary was enough for his son. Not only was she older than Felipe, and with a larger age gap than what Charles thought unproblematic, but with two younger brothers, it was unlikely she would ever inherit anything from her father. Had she continued to be heiress presumptive to England, the situation would have been different and he would have felt forced to reconsider the whole matter, but fortunately, she was not.

“I have, Master Wyatt, and I believe a marriage between my son and Princess Mary is not in the best interests of our two countries,” he said. Thomas Wyatt, for his sake, did not appear to be in anywhere troubled by his answer. Maybe he was even already expecting it and he simply nodded, calm neutrality stamped on his face.

“Of course, Your Majesty,” he said. “I must, of course, inform the Emperor that my King is most eager for a union between your two royal families, as had once been the ambition of his beloved father, King Henry VII.”

“And I understand that, Master Wyatt,” said Charles. He exchanged a glance with Gattinara, so the man might be sure of his true intentions. “Which is why I promise you that if the Empress were to be blessed with a daughter within a year, I’d be most pleased to marry her to the Prince of Wales. In fact, I announce my intention now to name my daughter, if she is to born, after my aunt, Queen Catherine. This, I hope, will show the King how much I love and care for him.”

Thomas Wyat nodded, a weak smile taking his pink lips, but Charles did not miss the way his jaw trembled slightly with his words, his throat dipping as he gulped. “If that is the wish of our Lord, then I am sure the Empress will be blessed with many children from you, Your Majesty.”

Charles arched his eyebrow. Then, because he could not hold himself back, he asked, “The Empress is native to your lands, Master Wyatt. Am I remiss in assuming you are familiar with her?”

Thomas’ eyes widened in alarm, but he quickly composed himself. “The Empress’ father was an old friend of mine own before his death, Your Majesty. I’m well acquainted with all of the Boleyns.”

Charles nodded, even if he wasn’t satisfied with his answer, and nodded for him to go. When he was far away, the Emperor turned to Gattinara, seeing a quizzical expression on his advisor’s face.

“I trust my wife,” Charles said, “But I don’t trust the English bulldog. I want him watched at all times.”

Gattinara nodded. It was already done.

--

Anne entered her chambers with her head held high, removing her riding gloves with nimble fingers. She nodded at her ladies, Lina and Elvira, as well as some others daughters, sisters and wives of Iberian nobles of her husband. They greeted her with cold politeness, but nothing more and she longed for the days where George stayed with her in Toledo, keeping her company, but now all she had from her brother were letters.

She knew this was for the best. His stay in Germany increased their connections throughout the Empire and she heard enough rumours about him marrying someone from the German princely families to know he was doing just that. If he convinced them of his worth, of their worth, then it was more likely she’d be respected as Empress if she ever wore to leave Iberia, but still… She missed her brother. She missed someone who understood her, who truly loved her and wasn’t just her husband or one of her children. Someone with whom she could speak in English, who knew from where she came from and did not care about it.

It was frustrating. There was no other word for it, but it was her life. She chose to marry Charles, to leave her country and people behind for the idea of a future in the Habsburg lands, as an Empress with children who’d be more than just nobles in another men’s court. Anne chose her life and so, she had to make her peace with it.

Two of her ladies unlaced her dress and she laid down in the bed, pulling the sheets over her frame. She was so tired. Charles had been practically unsatiable the night before, probably because of all of the time they were apart, without any way to sate their need for each other. In fact, they were barely able to speak whenever they saw each other before they were in each other’s arms, pulling away at their clothes so they could touch naked skin to naked skin.

The result, beyond increasing her chances of conceiving again, was that she could barely sleep at night. Because of it, Anne had to rest before she fell asleep while walking around the castle, lest she humiliate herself in front of those Castilians who already had enough reason to dislike her.

But she wasn’t able to fall asleep, even when all of her ladies left and the curtains were pulled to keep the sunlight out. As soon as she laid down on the bed, she felt a sharp point poking at her back. Anne shuddered at the sensation, her entire body tensing up, and she moved off the bed, running a hand down the mattress. There was a rectangular shape under the sheets and she remembered the night Charles found a protestant book in her bedroom, the fight that followed it.

Anne shoved her hand between the mattress and the bed, finding a leather covering rubbing against her fingers. She pulled the book out, confused and her entire body was filled with panic, even before she opened on the first page to see the title and the author.

De Libertate Christiana. On the Freedom of a Christian, by Martin Luther.

Anne felt her mouth run dry and she looked up, almost expecting Charles to come running inside her chambers, ready to pounce on her for failing his test, but the doors remained close. She could hear some of her ladies moving about on the antechamber, picking up small things to do before she woke up, occupying their minds and hands. But they didn’t seem aware of what had just happened.

She flicked the page. There was an inscription written on the corner of the page, curling around the printed words.

Oh, Wyatt, why!?

Wyatt… do try not to get yourself arrested in this timeline.

Wyatt, what did I just say?

If Anne has any brains at all she would yote that accursed book straight into the nearest fireplace.
I think we've already made clear that Anne has no intelligence when it comes to the protestant religion.

Also, I'm almost 100% sure you said the exact same thing last time she got a protestant book in her hands!

I think we've already made clear that Anne has no intelligence when it comes to the protestant religion.

Also, I'm almost 100% sure you said the exact same thing last time she got a protestant book in her hands!
I have to repeat it, because Anne won't listen to my advice!