An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Well, it is very good that Isabella and her little son have both survived, I am sure that Henry will be over the moon when he hears of this. Nice touch with the line about how she thinks she was born to provide him with heirs as well, and the prayers. I love Geroge and Ferdinand's relationship too, while of course, I feel bad for their wives, the two seem to love each other very much🥵

“Send a rider to His Majesty,” she said, looking at her ladies. “He has not left for his war and he will want to know about the birth of his son.”

Margarida made a curtsy. “Yes, Your Majesty,” she said before leaving, certainly to look for the fastest rider available in Placentia.

They placed Edward on her arms after he had his first feeding, his little face twisted into an angry expression as he looked around him. The Queen chuckled, pressing a kiss to his face. He was large, very large, with the roundest cheeks she had ever seen, but he looked offended at the world around him, almost as if being born had been an inconvenience.

“Eight pounds,” someone murmured. She couldn’t be bothered to see who it was. “It was a miracle for him to be born so easily.” Isabella tried not to roll her eyes. The birth was anything, but easy for her, though she supposes it must have looked so for the outsiders.

“My sweet Edward,” she whispered to her son. He had wisps of blonde hair on his head and his eyes were still a murky shade of blue. Isabella knew that children were not usually born with the colouring they would for the rest of their lives, but she couldn’t help thinking that it wouldn’t be so bad if her little boy did indeed grow to look more like her than his father. “My little York boy. Bendito seja.”
So the Tudor line is a little bit more secure. Can Henry die now?

Family Tree - Tudor
What's King Henry's family so far? That's honestly my question.
King Henry VIII of England (1491-) m. a) Catherine of Aragon (1485-1523); b) Isabella of Portugal (1503-). Affairs with: c) Elizabeth 'Bessie' Blount (1498- )
  1. a) Stillborn daughter (1510);
  2. a) Henry, Duke of Cornwall (1511-1511). Lived for almost two months;
  3. a) Short-lived boy (1513-1513). Possibly stillborn;
  4. a) Short-lived boy(1514-1514). Possibly stillborn;
  5. a) Princess Mary (1516-);
  6. a) Stillborn girl (1518);
  7. c) Henry Fitzroy (1519-). Illegitimate;
  8. a) John, Prince of Wales (1523-). Twin to Katherine.
  9. a) Princess Katherine (1523-1523). Twin to John, lived for almost an entire year;
  10. b) Edward, Duke of York (1524-).

King Henry VIII of England (1491-) m. a) Catherine of Aragon (1485-1523); b) Isabella of Portugal (1503-). Affairs with: c) Elizabeth 'Bessie' Blount (1498- )
  9. a) Princess Katherine (1523-1523). Twin to John, lived for almost an entire year;
I know there are dates to most of these events, but fuck that.

Deleted member 147978

Cool, but King Henry can only go so far as to have a Duke of Bedford, Pembroke, Somerset, or even Richmond for sons. Well, I guess I'll have to see what happens in the following chapters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it is very good that Isabella and her little son have both survived, I am sure that Henry will be over the moon when he hears of this. Nice touch with the line about how she thinks she was born to provide him with heirs as well, and the prayers. I love Geroge and Ferdinand's relationship too, while of course, I feel bad for their wives, the two seem to love each other very much🥵
Thank you, Codie. Henry will be skipping with happiness that's for sure.
I wouldn't say they are already in the "Love" aspect of their relationship. Maybe in the "special fondness" for it.

Palace of Placentia, England. 3rd of August, 1524.

Isabella grunted, letting her head fall back against the soft pillows propped up on the bed. Her entire body was tensing up, as it had done for the past hours, and she could feel the eyes of everyone in the room on her. Her Portuguese ladies were beside her, murmuring encouragements in their mother tongue, while her English ladies exchanged worried glances, their grimaces tightening with each passing minute that failed to show progress in her labour.

The Queen clutched her crucifix tightly in her hand, praying deeply between each breath. Her golden hair clinged to her forehead, her entire body covered in a sheen of sweat and her muscles burned with the exertion of hours trying to push her child without any success. “Ave Maria, cheia de graça, o Senhor és convosco, bendita sois vós entre as mulheres, e bendito és o fruto de vosso ventre, Jesus.

Leonor held her hand tightly, while another, Margarida, brushed her hair away from her face. Isabella saw the face of the physician sent to attend to her and the pinched expression of her midwife, Mistress Matthos. Whatever they saw between her legs, it was not good.

But it was not too late. She could do this. She knew she could. Her mother had given birth to ten children. Henry had been made to rule and she had been made to do this, to bear him heirs.

Maud Parr moved Margarida away, taking her hand tightly within hers. “The child is lazy, Your Majesty,” she said, determined. “You must force him out.”

Isabella shook her head, tears springing up on her eyes. “It’s what I have been doing for hours!” she cried out. “What else can I do?”

“Suffer,” Lady Parr said plainly. At Isabella’s expression, Maud pressed a wet rag to her forehead, cleaning her sweat and cooling down her face. “I don’t see it in your face, madam.”

“I can’t,” the Queen determinedly said. “Don’t ask me to make a scandal. If I have to die, I accept my fate.” She closed her eyes again. Santa Maria, Mãe de Deus, rogai por nós, pecadores, agora e na hora da nossa morte. Amém. She held on to her language, to her faith. She’d die as both an English Queen and a Portuguese Infanta, or so would help her the Lord.

“For goodness’ sake,” said Maud Parr, stroking her hand. “Your Majesty, this is the moment to forget your decency. Scream. Curse with all your soul or else the child will not come out.”

Isabella shook her head, determined.

“I shall die, but I shall not scream.” Maud made a frustrated sound and walked out. Isabella barely paid attention to anything, until her lady returned, holding a thick white sheet in her hands.

“This way nobody will see your face, but you must scream! You must force the child out of you,” she murmured. “For his sake, if not for your own.”

She could barely speak before Maud covered her face with the veil. Isabella was hit with another wave of pain at the same time and with the fabric covering her features, she allowed herself to scream and to push. Her expression must surely be one of pain and suffering, but she didn’t care. She couldn’t care.

It felt like an eternity before the pressure eased all over her and a shrill cry rang out in the room. It was loud, angry and born from a clear pair of strong lungs. Isabella sagged against her bed, exhausted tears sliding down her flushed cheeks. The ladies around her let out relieved sighs and the fabric was removed from her face, allowing her to see the world once again. Isabella could barely think before her eyes searched for the source of the crying as her midwives cleaned her, still holding the hand of her ladies.

“What is it?” she asked out. “Is something wrong?”

“No, no, Your Majesty,” Maud Parr was quick to say, rubbing her forehead gently.

“Dr Linacre!” Isabella called out, watching the man’s back as he worked on a table not far from her bed. “What is it? What have I given birth to?”

The royal physician turned to her and Isabella finally saw the wrapped-up bundle in his arms. It was moving around wildly, arms and legs wiggling away from its swaddlings and the smile on the man’s face told her everything she should know even before he said the words.

“Your Majesty, you have given birth to a healthy boy,” he announced and excited claps rang out from the attendants. “We have a Duke of York.”

“Edward,” Isabella murmured weakly. “The King told me to call him Edward.”

After she pushed out the afterbirth, the sheets were changed as well as her soiled shift. Isabella was so exhausted that she did not fight against the hands that sponged down her body, cleaning away her sweat, the blood and fluids that had gathered around her. Leonor brushed her hair and braided it, pinning it up into a low bun to allow the back of her neck to dry.

“Send a rider to His Majesty,” she said, looking at her ladies. “He has not left for his war and he will want to know about the birth of his son.”

Margarida made a curtsy. “Yes, Your Majesty,” she said before leaving, certainly to look for the fastest rider available in Placentia.

They placed Edward on her arms after he had his first feeding, his little face twisted into an angry expression as he looked around him. The Queen chuckled, pressing a kiss to his face. He was large, very large, with the roundest cheeks she had ever seen, but he looked offended at the world around him, almost as if being born had been an inconvenience.

“Eight pounds,” someone murmured. She couldn’t be bothered to see who it was. “It was a miracle for him to be born so easily.” Isabella tried not to roll her eyes. The birth was anything, but easy for her, though she supposes it must have looked so for the outsiders.

“My sweet Edward,” she whispered to her son. He had wisps of blonde hair on his head and his eyes were still a murky shade of blue. Isabella knew that children were not usually born with the colouring they would for the rest of their lives, but she couldn’t help thinking that it wouldn’t be so bad if her little boy did indeed grow to look more like her than his father. “My little York boy. Bendito seja.”

--

Vienna, Austria. 12th of August, 1524.

Ferdinand ran his hands down George’s side, feeling the warm softness of his skin against his own, bare with his hand tucked under the fabric of his shirt. When he reached the sight of his injury, he focused a bit more, fingertips touching the angry and puckered flesh, feeling around the scar.

George raised his head, separating their lips, and looked down at Ferdinand with wide eyes. “What are you doing?” he asked, breathless. His mouth was red with the roughness of their kiss and his cheeks were flushed, but when Ferdinand slid another hand under his clothes, George shivered.

“Let me see it,” the Archduke asked. “I want to see it.”

“It’s ugly,” George complained. “You won’t like it.”

Ferdinand smirked. “It can’t be much worse than your face is already,” he murmured. George made an offended face, tugging at his hair, and he whined, pushing him away half-heartedly. “Stop it.”

“You think you’re funny, aren’t you?” George said. “Maybe your brother should have made you court jester, instead of Archduke. It would really make your true talents blossom.”

“If I’m the jester, then what are you?” he asked. “The pig from the feast?”

“You wound me, Ferdinand,” George murmured with a pout. He tried to move away, moaning in pain and Ferdinand laughed, holding on to the lapel of his doublet to pull him even closer. Their lips met in a laughing kiss, with their tongues barely meeting, and George threw his weight on top of him again, pushing the air out of his lungs.

“Ugh…” he grunted. “You’re so heavy.”

“It’s the German food,” George murmured before sitting back on his ankles, straddling him. Ferdinand rose to his elbows, looking intently as the Duke pulled his shirt up to expose the side of his chest, where a Frenchman had once stabbed him with a dagger and left him to die.

It was on George’s left, the skin an angry red over the shape of the sutures. They had already removed the stitches, but his flesh was still puckered and twisted around and it would take a long time, if ever, for it to smooth down. The Duke of Württemberg would have a scar for the rest of his life, but at least, he’d live.

“It looks much better,” Ferdinand murmured.

“It does,” George agreed. “It only hurts when it’s cold, or when it’s going to rain. I barely think of it now.”

“I think of it all the time.” Ferdinand leaned in and pressed his lips to the scar. George shivered and his hands moved, letting the shirt fall back down as he placed his hold on Ferdinand’s shoulders. The Archduke gasped as he was pushed down to bed, George’s lips planting on his neck and he was barely able to think as the man tried to stick his hands between them. “Anna… Ah… Anna wanted me to speak to you.”

“About what?” George did not move his lips, his hands sliding up and down Ferdinand’s chest. He could barely think.

“About your future,” he murmured. With a gasp, Ferdinand pushed the other man away, sitting back up to keep him far from him. George ran a hand through his dark curls in frustration, looking away and he almost pulled him close again, but he couldn’t. He had to think. Ferdinand took a deep breath in. “She has found you a wife.”

“What?” George frowned. “Why?”

“Because you asked her to, you fool,” Ferdinand said. “Before we left for Germany, remember? My wife is not the one to forget matters such as this one.”

“Why do I need a wife again?”

“Because you are a ruling duke, or you’re supposed to be one, anyway,” he murmured. George fell on the bed with a grimace, stretching his long legs out in front of him. “You need heirs, or else Ulrich von Württemberg will be able to reclaim his lands after your death.” George rolled his eyes and Ferdinand pushed his shoulder in anger. “Don’t be such an idiot! You need to have heirs. German heirs, preferably.”

“You sound so much like the Empress,” George complained, but he closed his eyes. “Fine, fine. Who is the lucky lady?”

“Johanna of Hanau-Lichtenberg,” Ferdinand said. “Her father is a count and close with the Elector Palatinate, which will give you an advantage when dealing with the German princes. His wife was the daughter of the Margrave of Baden and Lady Johanna’s uncles now rule the lands that stand between Württemberg and France. I can’t stress how important such an alliance can be for you.” He sighed, shaking his head, and thought it would be best to finish the whole thing at once. “She’s the eldest of her siblings and around seventeen years old, which means she can start having children as soon as you are wed.”

“Have you ever met her?”

Ferdinand shook his head, “But Anna has and she claims the Lady Johanna is intelligent, pious and sensible. I suppose you won’t have any troubles with her beyond your difficulties with German.”

George smiled, but then his face turned sombre. “May I at least see a portrait of her before I sign any marriage contract? I would hate to be attached to someone I’m not attracted to.”

“I’ll send my court painter to Bouxwiller,” he murmured. “But I imagine the Count will also ask a portrait of you, so Johanna may know your face as well.”

“That seems reasonable,” George answered. “I suppose my marriage will force me to reside in Württemberg for the first year, or so.” Ferdinand nodded and a smile cut across the Duke’s face before he forced himself into a sitting position. “Then I guess we’ll have to make the best of our time together.” George grabbed hold of his doublet and pulled him, so he’d lay atop of him, their lips meeting in a heady and lustful kiss.

Afterwards, when George had already returned to his rooms, Ferdinand was adjusting the laces on his breeches when the door opened. He turned, both surprised and shocked at the boldness, and he felt dread fill his stomach when he saw Anna, his wife, enter his chambers with a large smile on her face.

“Anna!” he exclaimed, eyes going to the rumpled sheets of his bed and his own state of disarray, but if she noticed, she said nothing. Despite the many months of George’s stay in Vienna, the Archduchess didn’t seem to know or notice his feelings for her husband and Ferdinand didn’t know whether to be glad or not for it. “What are you doing here? Is there something wrong?”

“Not at all,” Anna said, smiling wildly. “Much to the contrary, in fact. Everything is absolutely perfect.” She came close to him, her face beaming and Ferdinand held his breath. “I spoke to a woman today, an important woman.”

“Really? Who?”

“A midwife,” Anna murmured. She took his hand in hers, gently stroking his knuckles. “For the past two weeks, I’ve developed a special fondness for salmon. The type of fondness that I can’t simply ignore.” She brought his hand to her stomach as he spoke, splaying his fingers on the thick fabric of her bodice. “The midwife told me that this, along with some other symptoms, means that I am with child.” Her eyes were full of happy tears. “We’re going to be a family, Ferdinand.”

26th of September, 1524.
Pale of Calais, Disputed Territory. 26th of September, 1524.

Anne de Montmorency observed the city behind his walls, hands planted on the windowsills as he watched the people go about their day, trying to rebuild their lives after the battle. Some dragged the bodies of their husbands, fathers, sons and brothers on carts down the streets to be veiled and buried, though many lives had been lost in the conflict and there was nothing to say the few priests in the city were available to oversee the ceremonies.

In a way, Anne couldn’t still believe that he had done it. He had taken back Calais into French hands, had destroyed the old Angevin empire and kicked the filthy English back into their God-forsaken island. He had done as many of his countrymen wished to do for the past four hundred years, since the 12th Century. He had done it and yet, something still felt wrong.

He had come to Calais, expecting to see the army of Henry VIII awaiting his men, ready for battle. It was what his King had ordered him to do, to bring three thousand men to take the city before stretching back to regain control of the entire Pale, before awaiting Francis with another three thousand so they could march onto the Low Countries. That was the plan and yet… the English had never come.

Anne lost a thousand men fighting the garrison, but no fleet had arrived from beyond the Channel. He had watched the sea for days without end, perhaps wondering whether something had held them back. On some clear days, he could see the white cliffs of Dover from Cap Gris-Nez, but no ships that crossed the waters. It was difficult to understand. Surely, Henry Tudor would not sacrifice the last holding of his predecessors on the continent, and yet. It seemed he had done just that.

A knock came on his door and he barked out an order for the person to come in. It was a messenger and he entered with a short bow, before handing him a sealed letter. Anne handed him a silver coin and instructed him to rest, observing his flushed cheeks and his panting breaths. Certainly, he had come as fast as possible, if his state was anything to go by.

When the rider was gone, Anne unsealed the letter and read its contents. He paused. And read again. Again and again, until the words were swimming in his head. His heart raced, his mouth drying up and he grabbed his goblet of wine with trembling fingers, willing himself to calm down. It was a message from King Francis, instructing him to meet him in Le Havre, on the Norman territory.

The English had come, after all, and the north was burning.

Last edited:
Ah so Calais has fallen... Henry is being very clever though, allowing the French to occupy Calais while striking directly at French territory. Brilliant chapter!

Henry is certainly risking a lot if he's willing to sacrifice Calais for Normandy. Hopefully this goes well for him, since I can see it ending badly. Great update!

Pale of Calais, Disputed Territory. 26th of September, 1524.

Anne de Montmorency observed the city behind his walls, hands planted on the windowsills as he watched the people go about their day, trying to rebuild their lives after the battle. Some dragged the bodies of their husbands, fathers, sons and brothers on carts down the streets to be veiled and buried, though many lives had been lost in the conflict and there was nothing to say the few priests in the city were available to oversee the ceremonies.

In a way, Anne couldn’t still believe that he had done it. He had taken back Calais into French hands, had destroyed the old Angevin empire and kicked the filthy English back into their God-forsaken island. He had done as many of his countrymen wished to do for the past four hundred years, since the 12th Century. He had done it and yet, something still felt wrong.

He had come to Calais, expecting to see the army of Henry VIII awaiting his men, ready for battle. It was what his King had ordered him to do, to bring three thousand men to take the city before stretching back to regain control of the entire Pale, before awaiting Francis with another three thousand so they could march onto the Low Countries. That was the plan and yet… the English had never come.

Anne lost a thousand men fighting the garrison, but no fleet had arrived from beyond the Channel. He had watched the sea for days without end, perhaps wondering whether something had held them back. On some clear days, he could see the white cliffs of Dover from Cap Gris-Nez, but no ships that crossed the waters. It was difficult to understand. Surely, Henry Tudor would not sacrifice the last holding of his predecessors on the continent, and yet. It seemed he had done just that.

A knock came on his door and he barked out an order for the person to come in. It was a messenger and he entered with a short bow, before handing him a sealed letter. Anne handed him a silver coin and instructed him to rest, observing his flushed cheeks and his panting breaths. Certainly, he had come as fast as possible, if his state was anything to go by.

When the rider was gone, Anne unsealed the letter and read its contents. He paused. And read again. Again and again, until the words were swimming in his head. His heart raced, his mouth drying up and he grabbed his goblet of wine with trembling fingers, willing himself to calm down. It was a message from King Francis, instructing him to meet him in Le Havre, on the Norman territory.

The English had come, after all, and the north was burning
Well, well, someone is being sneaky, aren't they? Good luck, Henry! The French won't go down without a fight!

17th of December, 1524.
Flanders, Low Countries. 17th of December, 1524.

The paper felt heavy in his hand as he stared at his wife’s handwriting, the carefully chosen words describing the health of his two children, Felipe and María, as well as her own. They seemed well. Felipe could walk and talk already, while María was able to crawl around the room on her own. He could almost imagine the amused tilt of her head as she observed their little girl dragging her body across, the little girl Charles never met.

He set the letter aside, taking a sip of his beer as he stared at the burning logs in his hearth. His heart felt twisted inside of his heart, thinking of the same period two years before, the first and last Christmas he spent with his wife. She was still expecting Felipe then and they had been so happy, so in love. He longed for those days, before Germana came to Spain and the truth of who they both were came to light.

The door opened behind him and Charles turned, waiting to see who it was. His aunt entered his chambers, a small smile on her face, and he smiled as well, standing up to welcome her properly.

“My dearest Charles,” she murmured. Charles took her hand in his own and pressed a warm kiss to her knuckles, before straightening back up to look her in the eyes. She touched his face gently, stroking his cheekbone, and Charles felt a tension leaving his shoulders at the sight of her. She who had been more of a mother to him than Queen Juana, who had loved him as her own and took care of him her whole life. “We missed you at the celebrations today. Christmastide is not the same without the Duke of Burgundy, nor the Emperor.”

“Forgive me,” said Charles. He moved to take the letter from the Empress that he had placed at his side table and showed it to her. She took with gentle and nimble fingers, her eyes moving from side to side as she read it. “But my duties as husband and father came first. After that, I did not find the strength to hold court, but I shall come tomorrow. I promise you.” He kissed her hand again, leaning it against his forehead.

His aunt sighed. “You miss your wife,” she said. It was not a question. “That much is clear on your face from the day you’ve arrived. It’s understandable to long for her.”

He hung his head forward. He could never truly hide anything from her, not even when he was a child and she caught him stealing sweets from the kitchens. Charles nodded, letting go of her hand, and moved to sit, waving her in as well. When they did so, he looked at her. “Soon enough, we shall be apart for longer than we have been together. I don’t know what that means for us.”

His aunt nodded. “What do you think it may mean?”

He shook his head. “When we parted, we did so not on good terms. She had met one of my former mistresses and our natural child and I…” He shook his head again. “I attempted to discipline her for an argument we had and I think I may have been too harsh with her.” He wasted precious moments with Anne by keeping away from her, fearing what to do with her heretic book and how it may reflect on him. His last months in Castile and Aragon could have been full of love and family time, but instead, he buried himself in his work, almost regretting their marriage.

“And you fear being met with hostility if you return to Spain?” Duchess Margaret asked. Charles sighed and nodded. “Anne is strong, as are you. I know you can move past this, whatever argument may exist between you.”

“How can you be sure of that?” he asked, feeling weak and defenceless. Vulnerable, even. Charles didn’t like the feeling at all.

“Because I educated you both,” she answered with a sly grin. “While I may not have been pleased with the marriage when I first learned of it, I have made my peace with it. An union before the Lord is for life, especially one that has already produced two healthy children and is sure to produce more.” She leaned towards him and placed her hand atop his, curling their fingers together. “Your life will not be easy, my dear Charles. This war with the King of France is only the first of many, I’m sure. If you want to lead a long and happy life, you must have a safe and tranquil homelife, lest you wish to exhaust yourself to death.”

He knew she was right. She had to be. Felipe couldn’t be his sole son and Anne was the only woman in the world who could give him a legitimate heir to Burgundy. A Count of Charolais, as his Valois ancestors had been in their turn.

“How can I do it? How can I reconcile with her?” he asked, still very much the little boy who had never left the Low Countries and needed his aunt to guide him.

Duchess Margaret smiled. She had clearly been anticipating this question from him. “When winter turns to spring, it would be best for you to return to Castile. Burgundy will stay where it is and I shall continue to run your affairs while you are away. Don’t worry, your stay here for the past four months has more than appeased those who missed their beloved Duke.”

“Return to Castile?” he questioned and she nodded, still smiling. “What about the war?”

“The war will continue, even as you worry about conceiving another child with your wife. While your presence is helpful to our efforts, it is not essential. You aren’t a soldier, Charles, and you never have been.”

He nodded. She was right. As always, she was right.

“When winter turns to spring,” he started carefully, “I shall return to Castile.”

Flanders, Low Countries. 17th of December, 1524.

The paper felt heavy in his hand as he stared at his wife’s handwriting, the carefully chosen words describing the health of his two children, Felipe and María, as well as her own. They seemed well. Felipe could walk and talk already, while María was able to crawl around the room on her own. He could almost imagine the amused tilt of her head as she observed their little girl dragging her body across, the little girl Charles never met.

He set the letter aside, taking a sip of his beer as he stared at the burning logs in his hearth. His heart felt twisted inside of his heart, thinking of the same period two years before, the first and last Christmas he spent with his wife. She was still expecting Felipe then and they had been so happy, so in love. He longed for those days, before Germana came to Spain and the truth of who they both were came to light.

The door opened behind him and Charles turned, waiting to see who it was. His aunt entered his chambers, a small smile on her face, and he smiled as well, standing up to welcome her properly.

“My dearest Charles,” she murmured. Charles took her hand in his own and pressed a warm kiss to her knuckles, before straightening back up to look her in the eyes. She touched his face gently, stroking his cheekbone, and Charles felt a tension leaving his shoulders at the sight of her. She who had been more of a mother to him than Queen Juana, who had loved him as her own and took care of him her whole life. “We missed you at the celebrations today. Christmastide is not the same without the Duke of Burgundy, nor the Emperor.”

“Forgive me,” said Charles. He moved to take the letter from the Empress that he had placed at his side table and showed it to her. She took with gentle and nimble fingers, her eyes moving from side to side as she read it. “But my duties as husband and father came first. After that, I did not find the strength to hold court, but I shall come tomorrow. I promise you.” He kissed her hand again, leaning it against his forehead.

His aunt sighed. “You miss your wife,” she said. It was not a question. “That much is clear on your face from the day you’ve arrived. It’s understandable to long for her.”

He hung his head forward. He could never truly hide anything from her, not even when he was a child and she caught him stealing sweets from the kitchens. Charles nodded, letting go of her hand, and moved to sit, waving her in as well. When they did so, he looked at her. “Soon enough, we shall be apart for longer than we have been together. I don’t know what that means for us.”

His aunt nodded. “What do you think it may mean?”

He shook his head. “When we parted, we did so not on good terms. She had met one of my former mistresses and our natural child and I…” He shook his head again. “I attempted to discipline her for an argument we had and I think I may have been too harsh with her.” He wasted precious moments with Anne by keeping away from her, fearing what to do with her heretic book and how it may reflect on him. His last months in Castile and Aragon could have been full of love and family time, but instead, he buried himself in his work, almost regretting their marriage.

“And you fear being met with hostility if you return to Spain?” Duchess Margaret asked. Charles sighed and nodded. “Anne is strong, as are you. I know you can move past this, whatever argument may exist between you.”

“How can you be sure of that?” he asked, feeling weak and defenceless. Vulnerable, even. Charles didn’t like the feeling at all.

“Because I educated you both,” she answered with a sly grin. “While I may not have been pleased with the marriage when I first learned of it, I have made my peace with it. An union before the Lord is for life, especially one that has already produced two healthy children and is sure to produce more.” She leaned towards him and placed her hand atop his, curling their fingers together. “Your life will not be easy, my dear Charles. This war with the King of France is only the first of many, I’m sure. If you want to lead a long and happy life, you must have a safe and tranquil homelife, lest you wish to exhaust yourself to death.”

He knew she was right. She had to be. Felipe couldn’t be his sole son and Anne was the only woman in the world who could give him a legitimate heir to Burgundy. A Count of Charolais, as his Valois ancestors had been in their turn.

“How can I do it? How can I reconcile with her?” he asked, still very much the little boy who had never left the Low Countries and needed his aunt to guide him.

Duchess Margaret smiled. She had clearly been anticipating this question from him. “When winter turns to spring, it would be best for you to return to Castile. Burgundy will stay where it is and I shall continue to run your affairs while you are away. Don’t worry, your stay here for the past four months has more than appeased those who missed their beloved Duke.”

“Return to Castile?” he questioned and she nodded, still smiling. “What about the war?”

“The war will continue, even as you worry about conceiving another child with your wife. While your presence is helpful to our efforts, it is not essential. You aren’t a soldier, Charles, and you never have been.”

“When winter turns to spring,” he started carefully, “I shall return to Castile.”
Yes, Charles. Finally, go home and make the babies!

Charles, the problem won’t disappear if you just hole up in Burgundy forever. Go home to your wife and work your situation out.