An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Well, the Habsburgs managed to keep Burgundy but Lost Navarre so it all balances out.
Yes. Exactly.
images (3).jpeg

Awww, Amalie seems to be happy with Gustav despite the age difference, good for her, even if she may end up becoming a young widow one day. It seems that Navarre has been retaken from Spanish occupation, a good victory for Francis, but I suppose we'll see how long it will remain independent.

First posted on my patreon.​

Valladolid, Castile. 20th of July, 1543.

Joana dreamt of Felipe. She dreamt of his eyes, his smile, his hands. His laugh. She dreamt that he was with her once again, with their children. In her dreams, he was healthy and hale. Safe from anything, wrapped in her arms with his head against her breast. Nothing could hurt him in her dreams.

But something did hurt him. Two hands upon her shoulders, shaking her gently, but firmly took her away from him. “Señora,” someone said, far away. Joana opened her eyes suddenly, the darkness of her room surrounding Doña Mencía de Mendoza. A tall and handsome woman she was, wife to Francesc de Borja. In her hands, she held a lamp, burning bright. "Mi señora, you must wake up."

"What is it?" Joana rubbed her eyes and sat up. "Has something happened?" Doña Mencía was the Infanta’s governess and for a moment, Joana feared for the worst. “Are my children ill?”

“The children are fine, my lady,” said Mencía. She leaned in closer. “The Prince of Asturias has returned.”

“Felipe?” The Princess did not wait another moment, kicking away her sheets. “Bring me my dressing gown and my slippers.” She lacked the patience to be fully dressed, her heart and arms longing for her husband after so many months away from him. She hardly cared for her depleted and aching body, just a few weeks after giving birth. “Where is the Prince? Is he injured?”

“The Prince is in the Emperor’s chambers, Your Highness,” Doña Mencía said. “The servant that told me did not mention any injuries.” Joana nodded, already semi-dressed and walked out of her rooms, with Mencía quickly following her to hold the lamp.

Her feet were quick, tapping against the floor noisily. She tried not to run, tried to look composed for the few guards still awake, but she couldn’t. Her hair, dark and reaching down to her bottom, felt utterly wild as she crossed through the corridors and climbed through the stairs, all in search of Felipe.

The guards posted outside of her father-in-law’s chambers did not hesitate to let her in, mindful of her serious gaze. Joana bound inside and recognized at once the tall, lanky form of her cousin. His clothes were covered in mud, his hair matted to the back of his head as he spoke in a low tone with his father, the Emperor's hands on his arms. But it was him. She knew it.

The Emperor was shaking, visibly so as he pulled Felipe into the tightest embrace Joana could imagine. He did not weep, he had shed all his tears upon the death of the late Empress. But to hear the thickness of his voice, to see the way he held his son as close to him as possible, it might’ve moved others to tears.

"My son," he whispered. "My son!"

Felipe, for his part, returned the embrace weakly. His face was alive with emotion. Grief and regret and perhaps confusion most of all. Joana could practically hear his thoughts, knowing he was just as stunned as she at this great show of emotion from the man they both considered heartless.

“I have prayed over you every moment since I discovered your safety,” said the Emperor. “When I was told you had escaped, I practically ordered the bells to ring as if we had beaten the French all the way to Paris. To think of what that French bastard might’ve done had he managed to capture you, the horrible tortures he could’ve devised haunted every rare moment I could find sleep. There is no end to his hatred of me and Francis would’ve seen you punished sorely for it. When I thought of your dear mother, how she would be beside herself if she only knew the danger you were in. Oh Felipe, I thank the Almighty that you have returned to my right hand where you belong. My son, my blessed son.”

The silence that hung after the Emperor’s words was thick, and neither Joana nor Felipe seemed able to speak and break it. Any words they might’ve said were caught in their throats as the Emperor clucked and fussed over his son, as if convincing himself Felipe were truly in his arms.

“Felipe!” Joana called out at last, too eager to have him in her arms to care about the reunion between father and son. Her husband let go of his father, who was just about his height and turned to look at her, his face conveying every inch of relief that he felt. She opened her arms and ran to him, engulfing the Prince in another tight embrace, her eyes squeezed shut. “I shall never let you out of my sight again. Your daughters and I could not abide for another separation.”

Her husband chuckled, his arms wrapped around her waist. “Oh, Joana,” he said. “My proud Portuguese wife.” He stepped away, cupping her face between his hands. “How I have missed you and our children.” His eyes ran down her form, trying to hold it in his memory. “And our son, how is he?”

“He is well,” said Joana. “You can see him in the morning.” She kissed his forehead, his cheek, his temple, feeling the salty taste of his sweat against her lips. Joana took his hand, interlacing his fingers and looked at her father-in-law. “By your leave, my king, I shall take the Prince to my chambers. He needs a bath and the solace of his wife.” The Emperor had hardly nodded before she took Felipe away, dragging him by the hand.

She would not be without him again.
So good to see Felipe home where he belongs and on a path to reconcile with his father, if the moving words Charles spouted reached Felipe’s heart.

Chapter first posted on my patreon.​

Stockholm, Sweden. 12th of August, 1543.

Amalia rocked little Cecilia in her arms, her newest daughter opening and closing her bright green eyes as she attempted to fight off sleep. It made her chuckle, to see how stubborn she was despite being less than two months old. Cecilia Vasa would not accept things being any less than what she wanted.

“God spare me,” Amalia whispered. The royal nursery of Sweden already had their hands full with little Gustav who, at seven, was already as rowdy a boy as could be. Running off with his toy soldiers, wanting to ride the tallest and strongest of his father’s warhorses. The Queen was thankful that her eldest son would soon be handed off to his guardian and tutors, for the nurses would surely lose their hair if they had to deal with both him and fussy Cecilia at the same time.

At least, Birgitta, Erik and Margareta were much easier children to deal with. Birgitta was the eldest daughter and had just turned five. She was blessed with her father’s auburn hair and blue eyes, though she had none of his hot-headed nature, being as sweet and caring as any little girl could be. Erik was a clever and sensitive boy of three, who could talk and ask questions well before his first birthday. Margareta was still too young for her personality to shine through, but Amalia was certain that she would have a gentle and kind heart, for she had the brightest smile amongst her children.

When Cecilia was well and truly asleep, Amalia placed her in her lambswool cradle, pulled away from the window to keep any chills from reaching her. Certainly, any nurse could do this work for her, but she enjoyed being with the children, even if it hurt her queenly prestige. And Gustav enjoyed it too. A Swedish woman was expected to manage her husband’s household and care for his heirs. The King would much prefer her to raise their babies and see that they were well-educated than for her to meddle with politics. This was how her mother raised her and Anna. To be respectful wives. And Amalia intended to do as the Dowager Duchess wished, even if they now diverged in their religious duty.

She stepped away from the cradle, careful not to wake up her daughter. At that moment, the door to the enclosed nursery opened and a large broad-shouldered man stepped inside, saying, “Amalia, I--”

Amalia brought her hands up to cover Gustav’s mouth, muffling his words before they could even come out. “You will wake her!” she whispered, almost shaking with nerves. Cecilia had been fussy all day and her wet nurse commented about being sucked dry by the little lady. Amalia did not want to risk her waking up.

Her husband, with wide eyes, chuckled. “Come then, wife,” he said, gesturing to the antechamber behind him. “There is something we must speak.” In any other situation, he might have been upset about her shushing him so callously, but Gustav had always allowed her free reign over their children. Other queens might’ve aspired for more, except Amalia felt content to rule the nursery as a strict though loving mother. Something even the King could recognize, always deferring to her when it came to such womanly matters. In the nursery, and everywhere else that pertained to their children, it was the King who bowed to the Queen.

She followed him out of Cecilia’s rooms, as a freckled nurse went inside to watch over the king’s daughter. Gustav directed her out of the nursery and into the empty corridors outside, perhaps mindful of their other children, who also needed full nights of sleep to be hale and healthy. When they were alone, Amalia looked up at him.

“What is it, husband?” she asked. Gustav was much taller than her, already a man of forty-seven years to her twenty-five, but she didn't care. Amalia had lived with him for many years already and was used to their difference in age and temper.

Gustav smiled like a little boy with a secret and handed her a sealed letter. She took it with a frown, breaking the seal so she could read it.

“I might have held my tongue on the matter of Birgitta’s marriage,” he began with a pleased voice, “I didn’t wish to say anything before I was certain, for I know how much it hurts to be disappointed.” She looked up at him, shocked. “But now, I wish to make it known to you so that you may prepare her. I have been in communication with the King of Scotland, and he has agreed to the marriage of Birgitta to his second son. It is not a crown, I fear, but I know it is ever the desire of you and your sister that such a marriage between your children might occur.”

“But-But,” Amalia stuttered. “I thought James Stewart considered us to be heretics!” The King of Scotland was an avowed Catholic, even acclaimed by the Pope himself, Amalia knew that much. Anna wrote that her children were raised Catholic, pleased to note that their mother would approve of the education they received.

“He was accused of cruelty to some Protestants in his realm,” Gustav explained. “I think he might see this marriage as a way to show that he is open to talk.” He smiled wide. “Not that his reasons matter to us, of course. By marrying his son to Birgitta, he shows that he recognizes Sweden as an independent nation. Especially when considering how close Denmark is to England, his sworn enemies.”

Amalia looked back at the letter in her hands, penned by her older sister, describing her second son and all the accomplishments he had already seen in his short life of five years. Tears brimmed her eyes.

“Oh, Gustav!” she exclaimed, so happy that she could burst. Amalia jumped up and wrapped her arms around her husband, embracing him tightly. Gustav chuckled and held her tightly to him, his beard tickling her face. “Thank you, thank you, thank you.” Her feet dangled in the air and when Amalia leaned her head back, she didn’t hesitate to press her lips to her husband’s, caressing his chin.

"Come, wife," he said gruffly, carrying her away from the corridor. "To bed." Amalia smiled and continued to kiss him.

--

Olite, Navarre. 29th of August, 1543.

For thirty years, the Spaniards had oppressed and disrespected the lands and people of Upper Navarre. Since Ferdinand of Aragon saw himself as worthy of his half-sister’s inheritance, and, using the kingdom stolen from his own daughter, made overtures over lands that did not want him. Since he shed innocent blood in pursuit of power.

For his senseless war, the Navarrese called him Faltsutzailea in the old Basque language. The forger. A charlatan, who seemed intent on eating as many of the Iberian kingdoms as possible.

But things were set to right. Francis, her darling brother, had done as he promised and taken Navarre back for her, for her husband, for her children. Marguerite could hardly contain her excitement as she stepped out of her carriage, having accepted the offered hand of a servant. At long last, she was in her kingdom.

The Palace of the Kings of Navarre had been the seat of the royal court since Karlos III reigned, and it was a handsome building she was sure. Marguerite, who had spent many hours listening to her brother ramble about war, knew that it could be defended easily, if the damned Emperor would not obey their peace treaty.

It had upset Francis greatly that they would be unable to take Burgundy back, at least for now. Even if the humiliating defeat under the Dutch youth had allowed his men to focus solely on Navarre. Despite her brother’s feelings, Marguerite would be lying if she said she was not pleased by his accord with the Emperor. Henri had his kingdom. She was, at long last, a true queen. The south was not yet truly freed, and the Spanish were surely stepping back only to regroup and gather their strengths, but Marguerite knew it was only a matter of time.

Marguerite turned slightly behind her, looking at Jeanne and Jean, filtering out of the carriage behind her. After the Prince of Viana came Sophie, as dark haired as her father, but with her mother’s face underneath it, frowning under the sun. Sophie, poor darling, was only eleven and after her mother died giving birth to her and her twin brother, Marguerite had taken her under her wing. Especially when it became clear that Sophie would one day become Queen of Navarre.

Her niece looked especially forlorn at being separated from Louis, who had been named Duke of Gascony instead of de Anjou, but she would grow used to being away. Even still, with the close ties between the King of Navarre and the King of France, she might have the chance to visit her brother more and more in the future.

“Come,” Henri said, driving her away from her own thoughts. Marguerite blinked in surprise, fanning herself. “I want to see if the interiors are as I remember.” Her poor husband. He had been only nine when Ferdinand of Aragon invaded his mother’s kingdom and now, at his long-awaited return, looked as eager as a little boy when presented with a new toy.

Jean went with him, eagerly climbing the steps to follow his father. Jeanne, more regal, tugged Sophie by the hand to go, their governess following them at close hand. Marguerite herself moved slowly, still fanning herself as she examined everything with careful eyes. The servants who quickly cleaned away any signs of the usurping dynasty, their own household carrying their trunks and luggage inside.

The palace was a little rough, Marguerite found out as she was directed to her queenly chambers. More of a military outpost than the seat of a royal court, but maybe, with some decorations… Some wine importing, new tapestries and paintings. A French musician, surely, and a new cook. She had no idea what sort of food the garrison had been fed, but that would need to change with the royal family present. Someone to attend to the neglected hanging gardens as well… With all of that, Marguerite was certain that they could make a home there.
Navarre for Burgundy is not a bad trade. Henri gets the kingdom that’s actually his birthright and Juan defended his hereditary birthright from his grandfather. All things are as they should be.

Navarre for Burgundy is not a bad trade. Henri gets the kingdom that’s actually his birthright and Juan defended his hereditary birthright from his grandfather. All things are as they should be.
Yes and also: it is not the senior line in either place that has this lands. It is Charles' second son who holds Burgundy, and Francis' brother-in-law in Navarre.

23rd of October, 1543.
Dijon, Burgundy. 23rd of October, 1543.

Everywhere she went, Bessie led with her belly now. She was so large and fat that she more resembled a monster than a woman, her feet having grown to the size of boats. Her nose was so fat too, so round and ugly. And whenever she looked at her back, it looked as if someone had shoved a pillow under her clothes. And after the baby quickened, it seemed he did little else than kick her insides, little chubby feet shoved under her ribs or in her loins.

The doctors said she would give birth in early December, but Bessie was already sick of being pregnant. Maybe if this boy were the Emperor’s first grandson in the male-line, she would have endured it with a smile upon her face, but Infante Carlos had been born only days after she first realised she was expecting. That had been quite the disappointment. If she were not meant to be Queen of Spain, then she wanted to be the mother of the Emperor’s heir, a title that her cousin Joana took from her.

It was such a sadness that something as delightful as her marital duties resulted in something as miserable as pregnancy. Bessie enjoyed being with her husband, because as of late, that seemed to be the only place where they could find an agreement. She wanted to attend his council meetings and travel with him to speak with merchants of the Low Countries, but he seemed to see her as little else than a broodmare. Like the King of Scotland did with his empty-headed German wife. And his councillors ignored her when she gave them orders, as if she were not their duchess. As if she were not Henry of England’s daughter, a woman who had once been considered heir to her brother’s kingdom before he married her old servant.

But she would show him. She would show them all.

“Alice,” Bessie said to one of her maids, struggling to sit up with her enlarged midsection, “Find me my silver slippers. I will perform my rounds today.”

Alice, a brown-eyed girl from Dover, stared at her in shock. “But the Duke said it would be best for you to remain abed before the birth!”

“Do you respond to the Duke or to me?” Bessie responded, her eyes burning with blue flames so hot that Alice whimpered. “Find me my slippers, I will not say it again.” Her maid nodded with an apologetic glance, running off to do as she ordered. Another maid helped Bessie stand up from her bed, strong arms supporting her.

The Duchess of Burgundy kept her hands in her belly as she walked out of her apartments, wondering how her mother managed to do this so many times. The Dowager Queen of England had as many as six pregnancies before her husband died, though only her three daughters had outlived their father. Bessie thought babies had to be beautiful, or incredible in some unspoken way, otherwise no one would continue breeding.

She knew Juan would be having a meal at this moment and he liked to invite trusted members of his court to join him, those few that made the trek every year between the Low Countries and Burgundy. Thus, Bessie walked to the smaller hall inside the ducal palace, searching for her husband.

But when the doors opened to let her in, there was no way to mistake the scene. Juan was sitting in his prime seat at the head of the table, surrounded by his sycophants and lickspittles. Normally, the seat next to him was reserved for his wife and had to stay empty when she wasn’t present, but there was a woman sitting there. Tall, with breasts fit to burst from her low decolletage, red hair bound up in rings under a simple white hood.

The woman was bringing a piece of cake to his mouth, laughing and Juan ate it ravenously, staring at the woman with lust-filled eyes. Not even noticing her presence there, despite the others present standing up to bow for their duchess. The duchess that wasn’t even looking at them, eyes focused on the woman flirting so shamelessly with her husband.

Bessie recognized her at once. Katharina van Hanau, the Countess of Wied. Her younger half-brother Willem was the new Prince of Orange. Their mother was Juan’s old governess. Someone unimportant, in the grand scheme of things. As she looked at them, Juan tugged at Katharina’s ear and leaned in for a kiss, curling his fingers at the back of her pale neck.

That was enough for her. Despite her size and her clumsiness, her anger and offence made her move fast, so fast that she could barely realise what she was doing. There were many glasses of wine on the table, Burgundy was famed for their vineyards, for their red vintages. It was a pity to waste them, a greater pity to risk her child by acting so foolishly, but Bessie didn’t care. She ran, grabbing the first cup she found to throw it in Katharina’s face.

A reddish purple bloomed in her white hood, spilling down her white skin to stain her cream dress. So much cream, so much white. One would almost think her a virgin. Glass shattered at her feet and Bessie threw herself forward, long nails scratching the whore’s round cheek, her fingers grabbing her hair, everywhere she could reach. Her throat started burning, used raw and she must have been screaming, though she would never remember what she said.

Strong arms curled around her waist, pulling her away from the whore. They were mindful of her belly, the child kicking wildly inside of her and she continued screaming, continuing throwing herself forward. Bessie didn’t know if it were guards dragging her, or Juan’s nobles, or even her husband. They took her away, dragged her back to her rooms where her maids were shocked to see her state. Hair pulled out from its respectful bun, cheeks red, Katharina’s red curls clutched in her fist.

She was placed on the ground, with Juan, her handsome betraying husband, looking over at her as the doors closed. They were left alone. Bessie sagged weakly against her bed, the wooden columns supporting her body.

“You will apologise to the Countess,” he told her, his expression one of both anger and disappointment.

Bessie laughed. “You want me to apologise to your little whore?” She laughed again. “I’d sooner pluck my own eyes out.”

“You prideful little fool,” Juan said, shaking his head. “You embarrassed yourself and you embarrassed me in front of good honest men!” He pinched the bridge of his nose, looking the part of an exasperated father. “Be thankful that you have are with child, for I have persuaded them to consider your delicate condition and I would advise you to behave appropriately for your station in the future!”

“You betrayed me! I’m a princess of England! You had my place occupied by that whore and you expect me to—“

“I will hear no talk of whores,” he interrupted her, walking to her. “The Countess has been a dear comfort to me these years past and I will continue to enjoy her company as long as it is my desire to do so. You must remember that I have my own needs to be fulfilled and when you are incapacitated, I will fill them elsewhere as is only my right. Did you expect me to abstain for months on end when every moment before you announced my son’s imminent arrival, I had you as often as I could?”

She straightened up, her blood boiling. “I expect my husband to be loyal to me!” she bellowed. “I expect him to not parade whores in my place when my belly is doing its business for the good of his damned duchy! I expect treatment befitting a princess—“

“You are no longer a Princess of England!” Juan responded, face red. “You are the Duchess of Burgundy and you are my wife! I expect obedience and faithfulness as you swore to me in our marriage vows! How is it that your brother received an English rose and I received a thorny bitch?”

The slap rang through the air, and for a moment, neither was sure who had struck first. Bessie’s hand stung something terrible, the white skin a sudden pink, but the evident mark was on her husband’s cheek as his eyes darkened and he grabbed her offending wrist. He pulled on her, his grip so unforgiving that her arm burned, but she let out not a peep of pain. Nothing, only staring up at him.

“You will return to your bed and you will stay there. I will graciously forgive you for all that has been said and done, as you are only a woman confused by my son growing in her belly.” His voice was cold, and his lips against her open palm offered little comfort for his hand gripping her wrist like a vice. “I hope that your confinement allows you much contemplation on your new station as my wife and duchess, and you make your peace with this humiliating demotion from princess.”

“I’m not in confinement yet,” she replied, tilting up her chin.

“You are,” he said. Juan took a deep breath. “From this moment forward, you are in your confinement. It’s clear that the child has confused your thoughts too much to allow you to remain within polite company.”

He threw her wrist away from him then, as if holding it a moment longer was the most abhorrent idea. Bessie sagged against the column again, too weak to hold her own body. Straightening up, he looked down at her imperiously and gave a curt nod to her bed.

“I will send in a doctor to check that my son has not been agitated by your outburst,” he said as she brought her wrist to her chest, cradling the smarting limb. His cheek grew redder and redder with the force of her slap, “And to see to any damage your lashing out has done to your wrist. I pray you’ll forgive my departure, I have guests to attend to. You will not be alone, however. I will be appointing appropriate maids to your household to occupy your time and cheer you in my absence.” He turned to walk away, directing himself to the door.

“I have maids,” Bessie retorted.

Juan stopped and turned to look at her. “Appropriate maids from the Low Countries,” he said. “The English ladies must return, unfortunately, to serve your brother’s wife. Or one of your sisters. Or your mother. Frankly, I do not care where they go.” He tilted his head slightly, as if taking pity upon her. “It has already been decided that you may keep your confessor, but he is to be the only Englishman in your retinue. England is dead to you now. Bury it and you might find some peace here.”

He closed the door behind him. After a moment, her strengths regained, Bessie straightened up and ran to it, eager to find him and get the last word. However, no matter how much she tried to open it, or how much she struggled and pulled, the door remained closed. Locked, with her trapped inside.

Dijon, Burgundy. 23rd of October, 1543.

Everywhere she went, Bessie led with her belly now. She was so large and fat that she more resembled a monster than a woman, her feet having grown to the size of boats. Her nose was so fat too, so round and ugly. And whenever she looked at her back, it looked as if someone had shoved a pillow under her clothes. And after the baby quickened, it seemed he did little else than kick her insides, little chubby feet shoved under her ribs or in her loins.

The doctors said she would give birth in early December, but Bessie was already sick of being pregnant. Maybe if this boy were the Emperor’s first grandson in the male-line, she would have endured it with a smile upon her face, but Infante Carlos had been born only days after she first realised she was expecting. That had been quite the disappointment. If she were not meant to be Queen of Spain, then she wanted to be the mother of the Emperor’s heir, a title that her cousin Joana took from her.

It was such a sadness that something as delightful as her marital duties resulted in something as miserable as pregnancy. Bessie enjoyed being with her husband, because as of late, that seemed to be the only place where they could find an agreement. She wanted to attend his council meetings and travel with him to speak with merchants of the Low Countries, but he seemed to see her as little else than a broodmare. Like the King of Scotland did with his empty-headed German wife. And his councillors ignored her when she gave them orders, as if she were not their duchess. As if she were not Henry of England’s daughter, a woman who had once been considered heir to her brother’s kingdom before he married her old servant.

But she would show him. She would show them all.

“Alice,” Bessie said to one of her maids, struggling to sit up with her enlarged midsection, “Find me my silver slippers. I will perform my rounds today.”

Alice, a brown-eyed girl from Dover, stared at her in shock. “But the Duke said it would be best for you to remain abed before the birth!”

“Do you respond to the Duke or to me?” Bessie responded, her eyes burning with blue flames so hot that Alice whimpered. “Find me my slippers, I will not say it again.” Her maid nodded with an apologetic glance, running off to do as she ordered. Another maid helped Bessie stand up from her bed, strong arms supporting her.

The Duchess of Burgundy kept her hands in her belly as she walked out of her apartments, wondering how her mother managed to do this so many times. The Dowager Queen of England had as many as six pregnancies before her husband died, though only her three daughters had outlived their father. Bessie thought babies had to be beautiful, or incredible in some unspoken way, otherwise no one would continue breeding.

She knew Juan would be having a meal at this moment and he liked to invite trusted members of his court to join him, those few that made the trek every year between the Low Countries and Burgundy. Thus, Bessie walked to the smaller hall inside the ducal palace, searching for her husband.

But when the doors opened to let her in, there was no way to mistake the scene. Juan was sitting in his prime seat at the head of the table, surrounded by his sycophants and lickspittles. Normally, the seat next to him was reserved for his wife and had to stay empty when she wasn’t present, but there was a woman sitting there. Tall, with breasts fit to burst from her low decolletage, red hair bound up in rings under a simple white hood.

The woman was bringing a piece of cake to his mouth, laughing and Juan ate it ravenously, staring at the woman with lust-filled eyes. Not even noticing her presence there, despite the others present standing up to bow for their duchess. The duchess that wasn’t even looking at them, eyes focused on the woman flirting so shamelessly with her husband.

Bessie recognized her at once. Katharina van Hanau, the Countess of Wied. Her younger half-brother Willem was the new Prince of Orange. Their mother was Juan’s old governess. Someone unimportant, in the grand scheme of things. As she looked at them, Juan tugged at Katharina’s ear and leaned in for a kiss, curling his fingers at the back of her pale neck.

That was enough for her. Despite her size and her clumsiness, her anger and offence made her move fast, so fast that she could barely realise what she was doing. There were many glasses of wine on the table, Burgundy was famed for their vineyards, for their red vintages. It was a pity to waste them, a greater pity to risk her child by acting so foolishly, but Bessie didn’t care. She ran, grabbing the first cup she found to throw it in Katharina’s face.

A reddish purple bloomed in her white hood, spilling down her white skin to stain her cream dress. So much cream, so much white. One would almost think her a virgin. Glass shattered at her feet and Bessie threw herself forward, long nails scratching the whore’s round cheek, her fingers grabbing her hair, everywhere she could reach. Her throat started burning, used raw and she must have been screaming, though she would never remember what she said.

Strong arms curled around her waist, pulling her away from the whore. They were mindful of her belly, the child kicking wildly inside of her and she continued screaming, continuing throwing herself forward. Bessie didn’t know if it were guards dragging her, or Juan’s nobles, or even her husband. They took her away, dragged her back to her rooms where her maids were shocked to see her state. Hair pulled out from its respectful bun, cheeks red, Katharina’s red curls clutched in her fist.

She was placed on the ground, with Juan, her handsome betraying husband, looking over at her as the doors closed. They were left alone. Bessie sagged weakly against her bed, the wooden columns supporting her body.

“You will apologise to the Countess,” he told her, his expression one of both anger and disappointment.

Bessie laughed. “You want me to apologise to your little whore?” She laughed again. “I’d sooner pluck my own eyes out.”

“You prideful little fool,” Juan said, shaking his head. “You embarrassed yourself and you embarrassed me in front of good honest men!” He pinched the bridge of his nose, looking the part of an exasperated father. “Be thankful that you have are with child, for I have persuaded them to consider your delicate condition and I would advise you to behave appropriately for your station in the future!”

“You betrayed me! I’m a princess of England! You had my place occupied by that whore and you expect me to—“

“I will hear no talk of whores,” he interrupted her, walking to her. “The Countess has been a dear comfort to me these years past and I will continue to enjoy her company as long as it is my desire to do so. You must remember that I have my own needs to be fulfilled and when you are incapacitated, I will fill them elsewhere as is only my right. Did you expect me to abstain for months on end when every moment before you announced my son’s imminent arrival, I had you as often as I could?”

She straightened up, her blood boiling. “I expect my husband to be loyal to me!” she bellowed. “I expect him to not parade whores in my place when my belly is doing its business for the good of his damned duchy! I expect treatment befitting a princess—“

“You are no longer a Princess of England!” Juan responded, face red. “You are the Duchess of Burgundy and you are my wife! I expect obedience and faithfulness as you swore to me in our marriage vows! How is it that your brother received an English rose and I received a thorny bitch?”

The slap rang through the air, and for a moment, neither was sure who had struck first. Bessie’s hand stung something terrible, the white skin a sudden pink, but the evident mark was on her husband’s cheek as his eyes darkened and he grabbed her offending wrist. He pulled on her, his grip so unforgiving that her arm burned, but she let out not a peep of pain. Nothing, only staring up at him.

“You will return to your bed and you will stay there. I will graciously forgive you for all that has been said and done, as you are only a woman confused by my son growing in her belly.” His voice was cold, and his lips against her open palm offered little comfort for his hand gripping her wrist like a vice. “I hope that your confinement allows you much contemplation on your new station as my wife and duchess, and you make your peace with this humiliating demotion from princess.”

“I’m not in confinement yet,” she replied, tilting up her chin.

“You are,” he said. Juan took a deep breath. “From this moment forward, you are in your confinement. It’s clear that the child has confused your thoughts too much to allow you to remain within polite company.”

He threw her wrist away from him then, as if holding it a moment longer was the most abhorrent idea. Bessie sagged against the column again, too weak to hold her own body. Straightening up, he looked down at her imperiously and gave a curt nod to her bed.

“I will send in a doctor to check that my son has not been agitated by your outburst,” he said as she brought her wrist to her chest, cradling the smarting limb. His cheek grew redder and redder with the force of her slap, “And to see to any damage your lashing out has done to your wrist. I pray you’ll forgive my departure, I have guests to attend to. You will not be alone, however. I will be appointing appropriate maids to your household to occupy your time and cheer you in my absence.” He turned to walk away, directing himself to the door.

“I have maids,” Bessie retorted.

Juan stopped and turned to look at her. “Appropriate maids from the Low Countries,” he said. “The English ladies must return, unfortunately, to serve your brother’s wife. Or one of your sisters. Or your mother. Frankly, I do not care where they go.” He tilted his head slightly, as if taking pity upon her. “It has already been decided that you may keep your confessor, but he is to be the only Englishman in your retinue. England is dead to you now. Bury it and you might find some peace here.”

He closed the door behind him. After a moment, her strengths regained, Bessie straightened up and ran to it, eager to find him and get the last word. However, no matter how much she tried to open it, or how much she struggled and pulled, the door remained closed. Locked, with her trapped inside.
Well, Bessie has well and truly buggered it now, hasn't she?

Lord almighty bessie's gonna be locked away in a burgundian version of tordesillas if this continues, also juan's mom would be disgraced of him for treating his own english wife like this

Lord almighty bessie's gonna be locked away in a burgundian version of tordesillas if this continues, also juan's mom would be disgraced of him for treating his own english wife like this
Not just his mother - his father, brother, uncle, and cousin whom Juan clearly did not learn from in the matrimonial department!