An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Hampton Court, England. 25th of December, 1539.

It was, in Kitty's opinion, an incredible evening. Her happiness started with her clothes, the ones her husband sent personally to her bedchambers for her to wear and only improved from there. Her undergown was of lovely gold brocade and white silk, trimmed with ermine and her sleeves were puffy and slashed, exposing the white cotton fabric stuffed inside. And her overgown was an entirely different thing, made of red velvet and lined with expensive black fur. Her low-hanging sleeves were pulled back and pinned by her elbows, exposing the dark fur underneath.

She felt very fashionable, and expensive. Since she became queen, Kitty had noticed others following her standard of dress and it made her feel important. Now, all she could see were French hoods like her own, exposing the front of women’s hair. But hers was, of course, more elaborate, as befitted someone of her station. It was made with red wool, framing her handsome face. The billaments were made with dozens, perhaps hundreds, of round pearls and golden frame to hold her rubies and emeralds. For good fortune, and to remind people of the season they were in. It was, after all, the first of twelve days of Christmas.

And there were so many people present to admire her, to see that she was now dressed as a queen should be. Kitty could see everyone from her high seat, her chest moving up and down desperately as she attempted to regain her breath. The King had asked her to dance early in the night and they did so together, commanding much of the floor until both waddled back to their thrones, exhausted and thirsty. That had been utterly magical, and she thanked the Heavens that her feet had not betrayed her. Kitty thought herself to be a proficient dancer, she had learned under the same tutors as Bessie after all, but the King was magnificent. It seemed to her that there was nothing that her husband could not do, and do it beautifully. And to fumble before him, before the entire court really, would have been utterly humiliating.

Kitty was holding a cup of wine, observing the people dancing and celebrating. She moved slowly, mindful of her own tired body, unable to keep the smile off of her face. The windows were closed, preventing the cold air from entering as servants moved about the hall, serving platters of food and sweets to the nobles. Technically, they had already eaten dinner, but no one could truly stop themselves from indulging. There were sweetmeats, candied jams and so much more.

Kitty had insisted on the leftovers being handed off to the commons, and she remained mindful of each plate that was taken back to the kitchens, always half-full. The King had promised that her wishes would be done, but she wanted to be sure.

The King was eating from a platter of figs beside her, talking excitedly to her brother Charlie. The Viscount sat beside the King in a place of high honour and their heads leaned in together so they could whisper, chuckling as if they were gossiping hens. Kitty would’ve gladly welcomed their conversation, had she not been distracted by so many other things. Her brother Henry was dancing with his wife, Cat Carey, with whom he had seemed to find some common ground. Lady Lovell was discussing something with the Duchess of Norfolk, but ever so often, her eyes would return to the high table, and to her husband. That pleased Kitty. She wanted her brothers to be as happy with their spouses as she was.

“Kitty.” The King placed his hand over hers and the Queen eagerly turned to look at him. “Your brother was just telling me the most curious of requests.”

“I was not!” Charlie protested, laughing. “I was merely relaying to the King what our uncle told me, Your Majesty.”

Kitty flinched at the formal tone of her brother’s final words, but she still smiled. “What is it?”

“The Duke of Norfolk seems to think it will be a great idea to make a royal progress,” the King replied. Kitty could smell the wine in his breath. “See our kingdom, and let the people know your face as well as they know mine.” The King touched her chin, rubbing her jaw carefully. “This beautiful face should dazzle the commons. Isn’t that right, Charlie?”

“My Lord of Norfolk believes that it will be easier for the people to pray for our queen if they have a face to attach to their prayers, my king,” said Charlie, still smiling. “And well, it will be hard to remain in London if you keep eating all the supplies in a ten mile radius, Your Majesty.” He patted John’s belly as he spoke, laughing still.

Her husband was smiling when he answered, “My lord Lovell, should I remind you that you speak to your king? God’s chosen one to rule over this present kingdom?” Kitty looked between Charlie and John, feeling as if she was intruding on a private conversation. She loved John, and she knew that the King loved her as well, but it was hard to remember sometimes that he knew Charlie first. Knew him for longer. And that they were as close as brothers.

She leaned forward. “I would love to undergo a royal progress,” she murmured, smiling and the two turned to her. “I have never been to the north.”

“Ah!” John exclaimed. He looked back at her brother. “Then it’s decided. Call Cromwell, we must make plans.”

Charlie nodded and stood up. “At once, Your Majesty,” he said, but before he could do anything other than stand there for a brief second, something else happened.

The doors to the great hall opened, a gust of cold wind coming through as a small group came inside. Kitty thought there could be no more than five people arriving, straining in her seat to see better and the herald banged his staff thrice on the floor as all the guests turned to look. “My lords!” the herald said. “Her Majesty, Dowager Queen Isabella and her daughters, the Princess Elizabeth and Ladies Eleanor and Margaret of England.”

It seemed to Kitty that the very air in the room changed. The music stopped and the people fell into deep curtsies and bows for the King’s mother and sisters, their old king’s widow and daughters. They opened a path to allow them to walk towards their thrones, the Dowager Queen first. She was a beautiful woman of five and thirty years, with golden hair and blue-grey eyes. Though her royal husband had been dead for many years, she did not stop wearing the habits of a widow, remaining in mourning for the man that had taken an infanta of Portugal and turned her into a queen.

Princess Elizabeth was twelve now and had all of her mother’s beauty, but none of her nature. She was spoiled, and arrogant, and self-serving, all things that Kitty had known since they were girls. Her betrothal to the Emperor’s son pleased her, though not as pleasing as it could have been had the Duke of Burgundy been his eldest male heir. She wore a gown of green and silver, her hair under a French hood as well, but her face seemed twisted into a deep frown that no royal training could smooth down.

And the little ladies of England. Ah, what could be said of them? Kitty had seen her sisters-in-law only a handful of times since the wedding, all in attempts to talk to Bessie, and they were as delightful as children could be. Margaret was the youngest at six, with her father’s shock of auburn curls and ruddy cheeks that reminded all of her older half-sister, wearing a childish pink dress that did not reach the ground. Eleanor, older by two years, had inherited her mother’s golden hair, darker than that of her sister Bessie, but had a sweet and gentle face. Her face was one of those that made someone wonder if such a child could ever say anything mean, or mischievous and her clear complexion spoke of her good soul. Her dress was a light blue, too childish as well to be of any interest. Nora and Maggie, as they were called by their mother and brother, were smiling behind the Dowager Queen, finally allowed to take part in such a celebration. They did not seem to notice the storm that brewed.

“Your Majesties,” the Dowager Queen murmured, dipping into a respectful half-curtsy. “What a delight to be invited for such a splendid celebration.”

The King smiled, though he did not move. “Dearest mother,” he said, waving at a servant to place another set of chairs for his kin, “As if I could ever forget to have you here.” He looked behind her. “Or my sisters. My family is not complete without you.”

Nora and Maggie fell to the ground. “Your Majesty,” Nora said in a low voice, biting her lip in shy nerves. She was an introvert at heart, but even she knew what was her role to play in this part. Even if her older sister didn’t.

“Bessie?” the King called and Bessie’s steely blue eyes turned to him, her mouth set in a contained scowl. It seemed that even the flames had stopped flickering, waiting to see what was happening. Bessie curtsied with her body turned to the King, her hands primly set before her tense body and the Dowager Queen stared at her, her face carefully placed into utter neutrality. Kitty felt her husband glower beside her. “Say hello to the Queen, Princess Elizabeth.”

Kitty tried to look calm when Bessie’s burning gaze turned to her. Mindful of the eyes around her, and her mother grabbing her hand in a silent warning, her old friend dipped into a bare curtsy. It could not even be called that, the Queen thought, for she had barely moved. Her knees had not bent fully. If she were any smarter, then she would have noticed the thinly-veiled insult that it was. As if Bessie was doing it only for the sake of her brother, her mouth set in a thin line, her shoulders tense. No greetings passed her lips, nothing. No acknowledgment.

John stood up. He was a tall man, as tall as his father had been, and his surcoat made him look twice as large. He towered over everyone, even in his elevated seat and the people grew quiet at the sight of the flames burning behind his blue eyes. For a moment, it was visible to everyone that the King truly was Henry Tudor’s son.

He walked slowly, the room so quiet that a pin drop could be heard, circumventing his sister. Bessie trembled when he stopped right behind her, unable to look anywhere but forward, though if it was because of fear or rage, no one could say.

John placed his hands over Bessie's shoulders. "Not deep enough," he said in her ear, pushing her down. It was only through years of intense dancing lessons that allowed her to keep her balance and remain standing, but she was forced to bend her knees to do so. Deeper and deeper, until her brother was satisfied. His hand moved to the back of her neck, gripping a fistful of her black veil as he made her look to the floor. "Stay there," he ordered.

The King returned to his throne and his sister remained in her deep curtsy until one minute turned into two and her body started trembling in its position. Kitty held her breath when her husband allowed his sister to rise and amber eyes met burning steel.

This would not be an insult easily forgiven.

--

Madrid, Castile. 2nd of January, 1540.

"My father will be furious," said Felipe in the early hours of the morning. "He wanted a grandson."

Joana, resting against a multitude of pillows, smiled tiredly. "I thought you didn't care what your father thought," she said.

Felipe chuckled, arms wrapped around his newest daughter as he walked around in his wife's chambers. His child was a little pink thing, with a small mouth and spindly red limbs, eyes still closed and swollen hours after her birth.

There was a tuft of brown hair on her head and she had Joana's nose, but Felipe's hands. He placed his finger at her cheek, rubbing the skin softly and she sighed, opening her mouth in her sleep as if about to feed. He smiled.

"Ana will be pleased," said Felipe. "She has been asking for a sister."

"Ana will grow quite disappointed when she realises the baby will not be able to play with dolls for a few months yet," Joana replied, making him smile. He was happy to see her well recovered after her labours, having eaten a fine meal to nourish her depleted body before he arrived.

"It's good that you're not a boy," he murmured to the newborn baby. "I'm happy with that. My father should never have what he wants." He shook his head. "If you were a boy, he'd have demanded you be named Carlos, after him."

"So are you going to name her Carlota?" Joana asked, laying down. Felipe chuckled.

"Of course not. That's a terrible name," he said. Felipe looked at his daughter and sat down in a chair close by the shuttered windows, trying to study her face.

"Then what will we call her, my love?" Joana asked. "Perhaps, Juana, after the Queen?"

He shook his head. "This court has enough Juanas as is," said Felipe, considering their servants still called his wife by the Spanish version of her name. "Leonor, for your mother?" Ana was named after his mother, after all.

But Joana shook her head. "The right to name a daughter after my mother belongs to Afonso," she said. "Not me."

Felipe didn't understand, but he nodded still. If Joana didn't want the name, and for whatever reason, he would accept it.

He looked back at his daughter, sleeping with her mouth parted. She was tinier than Ana had been when he first saw her, months after her birth, and less alert. But just as precious.

"You shall be named after a man who was more of a father to me than the Emperor, my child," said the Prince of Asturias.

"Felipe…" Joana began, but he would not change his mind.

"Luisa," he declared. "You shall be Infanta Luisa de Austria, named after Don Luis Hurtado de Mendoza y Pacheco." A smile grew in his lips and tears brimmed at his eyes. "My little archduchess, I shall keep you safe."
Well good to see Bessie served a slice of humble pie considering her attitude towards the new Queen is unbecoming of a future Duchess. Felipe naming his daughter for Luis was precious and I sincerely hope this trend of Felipe snubbing his father continues into the future because Charles has definitively earned it.

Minor setback: I severely underestimated how old Pierre Tudor is, so I had to delete all of the chapter I had written (nothing works in the current year). Next chapter can be expected to be delayed until I have a new idea.

Family Tree - Tudors
King Henry VIII of England (1491-1535) m. a) Catherine of Aragon (1485-1523); b) Isabella of Portugal (1503-). Affairs with: c) Elizabeth 'Bessie' Blount (1498- ); d) Luisa Borja (1500-1526); e) Katherine 'Kat' Chapernowne (1502-)
  1. a) Henry, Duke of Cornwall (January 1511- February 1511). Lived for almost two months.
  2. a) Mary Tudor (February 1516-) m. François III, Duke of Brittany (Fenruary 1518- ).
    1. Francoys, Count of Montfort (June 1534-);
    2. Catherine de Valois (February 1538 -);
    3. Unborn child due in June 1540.
  3. c) Henry Fitzroy, Earl of Somerset (June 1519-1528). Illegitimate;
  4. a) King John II of England (January 1523-) m. Katherine Howard (1524-);
  5. a) Katherine Tudor (January 1523-December 1523). Twin to John, lived for almost an entire year;
  6. b) Edward, Duke of York (August 1524-August 1530). Drowned;
  7. d) Pierre Fitzroy, Earl of Gloucester (June 1526-). Illegitimate m. Dorothy Stafford (October 1526-);
  8. b) Elizabeth Tudor (June 1527-) b. Juan of Austria, Duke of Burgundy (January 1526-);
  9. b) Henry, Duke of Somerset (September 1529-April 1530). Died a sickly infant;
  10. b) Eleanor Tudor (September 1531-) b. James, Duke of Rothesay (May 1531-);
  11. b) Margaret Tudor (May 1533-) b. Frederik, Hereditary Prince of Norway (January 1536-);
  12. e) Isabella Fitzroy (March 1534-). Illegitimate. Known as Isabella Ashley.;

Family Tree - Valois
King Francis of France (September 1494-) m. a) Claude of France, Duchess of Brittany (October 1499-July 1524); b) Elisabeth of Austria, Dowager Queen of Denmark and Norway (July 1501-December 1531); c) Edwige of Poland (March 1513-)
  1. a) Louise de France (August 1515-September 1518);
  2. a) Charlotte de France (October 1516-September 1524);
  3. a) François III, Duke of Brittany (February 1518 -) b. Marie Tudor (February 1516-);
  4. a) Henri, Duke of Orléans (March 1519-) m. Marie de Guise (November 1515-);
    1. Marie de Orléans (June 1538- ).
  5. a) Madeleine de France (August 1520-November 1530);
  6. a) Charles, Duke of Angoulême (January 1522-);
  7. a) Marguerite de France (June 1523-);
  8. b) Antoinette de France (August 1529-) b. Nicholas, Duke of Bar (October 1524-);
  9. b) Sophie de France (November 1531-). Twin to Louis de France. B. Jean d'Albret (July 1530-);
  10. b) Louis, Duke of Alençon (November 1531-). Twin to Sophie de France.

Last edited:
Family Tree - Stewarts
James V of Scotland (April 1512-) m. Anna von Kleve (1515-)
  1. James, Duke of Rothesay (May 1531-) b. Eleanor of England (September 1531-);
  2. Arthur, Duke of Ross (1532-1536). Died of smallpox;
  3. Anne Stewart (July 1534-July 1536). Died of smallpox.
  4. Robert, Duke of Albany (April 1538- ).
  5. John Stewart (June 1539-)

King Francis of France (September 1494-) m. a) Claude of France, Duchess of Brittany (October 1499-July 1524); b) Elisabeth of Austria, Dowager Queen of Denmark and Norway (July 1501-December 1531); c) Edwige of Poland (March 1513-)
  1. a) Louise de France (August 1515-September 1518);
  2. a) Charlotte de France (October 1516-September 1524);
  3. a) François III, Duke of Brittany (February 1518 -) b. Marie Tudor (February 1516-);
  4. a) Henri, Duke of Orléans (March 1519-) m. Marie de Guise (November 1515-);
    1. Marie de Orléans (June 1538- )
  5. a) Madeleine de France (August 1520-November 1530);;
  6. a) Charles, Duke of Angoulême (January 1522-)
  7. a) Marguerite de France (June 1523-);
  8. b) Antoinette de France (August 1529-) b. Nicholas, Duke of Bar (October 1524-)
  9. b) Sophie de France (November 1531-). Twin to Louis de France. B. Jean d'Albret (July 1530-)
  10. b) Louis, Duke of Alençon (November 1531-). Twin to Sophie de France.
realized i forgot some stuff.

Family Tree - Austrian Habsburgs
King Ferdinand I of Bohemia and Hungary (March 1503-) m. Anna of Bohemia and Hungary (July 1503-)
  1. Elisabeth of Austria (July 1525-) bet. Zygmunt August (August 1520-);
  2. Maximilian of Austria (July 1526-) b. Juana of Austria (December 1526-);
  3. Anna of Austria (July 1527-) b. Karl Ferdinand Bullen (September 1527-);
  4. Ferdinand of Austria (June 1528- ) b. Báthori Erzsébet (1528 -);
  5. Maria of Austria (May 1530-). A novice in a convent;
  6. Magdalena of Austria (August 1532-) b. Johann Ludwig of Cleves (February 1534-);
  7. Katharina of Austria (September 1533-);
  8. Eleonore of Austria (November 1534-);
  9. Margarethe of Austria (February 1536-);
  10. Georg of Austria (April 1537- March 1538);
  11. Barbara of Austria (April 1538- ).

Last edited:
King Ferdinand I of Bohemia and Hungary (March 1503-) m. Anna of Bohemia and Hungary (July 1503-)
  1. Elisabeth of Austria (July 1525-) bet. Zygmunt August (August 1520-)
  2. Maximilian of Austria (July 1526-) b. Juana of Austria (December 1526-)
  3. Anna of Austria (July 1527-) b. Karl Ferdinand Bullen (September 1527-)
  4. Ferdinand of Austria (June 1528- ) b. Báthori Erzsébet (1528 -)
  5. Maria of Austria (May 1530-). A
  6. Magdalena of Austria (August 1532-)
  7. Katharina of Austria (September 1533-)
  8. Eleonore of Austria (November 1534-)
  9. Margarethe of Austria (February 1536-)
  10. Georg of Austria (April 1537- March 1538)
  11. Barbara of Austria (April 1538- )
this one was sent too soon. let me fix things.

Family Tree - Spanish Habsburgs.
Emperor Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire (February 1500-) m. Anne Boleyn (1503-May 1536)
  1. Felipe, Prince of Asturias (April 1523-) m. Infanta Joana of Portugal (1520-);
    1. Ana de Austria (February 1538 -);
    2. Luisa de Austria (January 1540-).
  2. María of Austria (April 1524-) m. Afonso, Prince of Portugal (August 1522-);
    1. Unborn child due in April 1540.
  3. Juan, Duke of Burgundy (January 1526-) b. Elizabeth of England (June 1527-)
  4. Juana of Austria (December 1526-) b. Maximilian of Austria (July 1526-);
  5. Margarita of Austria (March 1529-) b. Emmanuel Philibert (July 1528 -);
  6. Catalina of Austria (November 1531-);
  7. Fernando of Austria (August 1533-);
  8. Eduardo of Austria (July 1534-);
  9. Isabel of Austria (May 1536-).

Family Tree - Sforzas
Duke Francesco II of Milan (February 1495-November 1535) m. Catalina of Austria (January 1507-)
  1. Ludovico II, Duke of Milan (October 1523-) m. Caterina de' Medici (April 1519-)
    1. Paolo Sforza (March 1538- )
  2. Massimiliano Sforza (September 1524-) b. Violante d'Este (1527-)
  3. Margherita Sforza (November 1525-) m. Friedrich II, Count Palatine of the Rhine (December 1482-)
  4. Beatrice Sforza (August 1526-May 1528)
  5. Francesco Sforza (October 1527-)

13th of January, 1540.
Château de Rambouillet, France. 13th of January, 1540.

Francis held Francoys in his lap, the child perched on one of his knees as he fiddled with the new toy that he had recently received from his kingly grandfather. His face was pensive, and curious, turning the little soldier this way and that to examine every side of him. The Count of Montfort, and second in line to the French throne, was a handsome boy of six years, as red-headed as his mother, but with Francis’ brown eyes. Healthy too, with none of his paternal grandmother’s deficiencies. When he raised the toy to his mother, he exclaimed happily and with a clear voice, “He has a sword, maman!”

Francis chuckled, a full-belly laugh that caused others who were present to chuckle and coo at the little boy. “He does!” the Duchess of Brittany responded with just as much excitement. “Have you thanked your grandfather yet, my sweet boy?” As she spoke, she placed one hand on her stomach, the other holding onto her husband’s arm for support. Francis looked at her for only a brief moment, before he turned back to his grandson.

The Duchess had just announced another pregnancy, but when anyone looked at her, they could not yet see any hint of a child in her belly. Even though the King’s daughter-in-law was a small woman, and young at just twenty-three, she did not show fast under the rigid fashion demanded by the French court. It made some wonder if in Brittany, where all claimed the Duke and Duchess allowed a more relaxed and traditional environment, people would already be able to see the boy inside. Showing off to the world under his mother’s voluminous skirts.

Francoys turned back to his grandfather, blinking like a begging cat. “Merci, Grand-pére,” he said and Francis chuckled again, pulling the boy close so he could kiss his cheek. His grandson was a fine lad, already old enough to be handed off to his tutors, and clearly knew how to address his betters. When they arrived, after a long journey from Brittany to celebrate the New Year and another anniversary of the start of his reign, Francoys had bowed deeply and perfectly to his grandfather, and asked after his health most judiciously. It made Francis extremely proud to know that his line would continue with such a boy.

By Francis’ feet, his granddaughter Catherine played with one of his rings as her cousin, Marie de Orléans examined the many dolls gifted to her by her grandfather sitting beside her. Marie had been named after her aunt and future queen, so far the only child of Francis’ second son Henri and his wife, Marie de Guise. The two cousins were the same age, but so very different, as both took after their mothers. Marie de Guise was tall and dark-haired, whereas Marie de Angleterre was small, and with hair as red as blood.

The rest of his children, apart from Antoinette, were present as well. Sweet Antoinette, his eldest from his second marriage, had been made a ward of the Duke of Lorraine to secure their alliance, since she would soon be wed to the Duke’s son and heir, Nicholas. Her younger siblings, the twins Sophie and Louis, were playing with their own gifts, trapped in a world of their own. Their bond often isolated them from others.

It made Francis think, if it would not be better, for when Sophie eventually married her cousin Jean, heir to Navarre, to name Louis as the Duke of Gascony, instead of Alençon. So that the twins might always be close and their bond maintained, if Sophie had to suffer an existence so far from Paris and her other siblings. He didn’t doubt that the idea would please Edwige, who had taken a special interest in the twins’ welfare since she had no children of her own.

She made for a fine Queen, a glittering ornament for his side who held her position in his court as a matter of personal pride. She never failed to hold herself with grace and a regal bearing. He was thankful for her, for her presence kept his court in fine order, the way a captain might hold sway over a ship. There were even times he wished he were younger, more resemblant of the man he was when he first took the crown, so that he might enjoy her for all the longer.

The physician said he would not have any more children, and poor Edwige would have to rely on the good will of François when he died, and then Francoys after him. It made sense for her to strive to broker a good relationship with his heirs. And she worked hard to make them love her.

But if he were younger, and healthier, then he would not have the secure position he could boast now, with four strong sons and a sturdy little grandson to carry on his name and ensure his dynasty didn’t fail. And it was with no small sense of satisfaction, as his eyes drifted to the south, that he could boast a good relationship with his heir, a beautiful wife, and a noble grandson.

All things the Austrian bastard lacked.

War was brewing again and Francis would not be stupid enough to miss the opportunity. Charles was distracted with the Protestant matter and he had not been the same since his wife died. If he played his cards right, and he had by sending the Duke of Longueville and his wife to Trent, then Francis could have everything. Milan, Navarre for his daughter. And so much more.

--

Trent, Austria. 27th of February, 1540.

His horse neighed loudly when Charles pulled on his reins, angry at the offence, but the Emperor ignored it. “Hiya!” he called out, raising a hand to warn those behind him to stop. They had just arrived at the Castello del Buonconsiglio and he would not be distracted by an unruly animal or disobedient members of his household. Servants filtered out of the building, coming to greet him, and Charles dismounted, handing the leather reins to a man that came close.

The air was cold, biting as winter came to an end and Charles brought his glove-covered hands close to his mouth, stroking his chin in thought. His breath came out in white puffs of air and a thin snow fell around them, weak and melting upon his shoulders. They had better enter closed confinements soon, or they would soon be trapped, Charles feared. The castello didn’t belong to his family, but they had been given leave to use it as their residence during the first sessions of the Council. He could only hope it would be suitable.

Next to him, Juan dismounted from his brown-furred mare, expertly moving about his mount. He stopped for a brief moment to adjust his feathered hat over his blonde curls, cheeks red from the cold. Juan had recently turned fourteen and was as gangly and awkward as a boy his age could be, but when Charles looked at him, his son showed no hint of shyness or nerves. In fact, his blue eyes seemed pensive when he tilted his chin up, looking at the castello before them. He was ready.

“Come,” the Emperor said, placing a hand over Juan’s shoulder and his favourite son turned to look at him, shoulders back and tensed. “Your uncle awaits us.”

“Very well, Father,” Juan said in perfect French. Over the years where he lived in Burgundy and the Low Countries, Juan had forgotten the Castilian from his infancy. The language, the culture, all had been forgotten and he could no longer be called an Infante of Castile and Aragon, even if that was one of his official titles. His primary languages were French and Dutch, as they had been for Charles when he was his age.

He wrapped an arm around Juan, pulling him closer. His son chuckled and they climbed the steps together, entering the warm and strange environment of the castello. A servant, possibly a steward, offered to lead them to the great hall, where the King of Hungary and Bohemia and others awaited them.

It was a strange environment to be in. Legally, Trent was part of the County of Tyrol, which was under the Archduchy of Austria, but neither Charles nor Ferdinand had ever stepped foot in the city. The city that would now house hundreds, maybe thousands of delegates from around Europe, as they strove to bring an end to the Lutheran problem. And the Habsburgs didn’t even have an official residence in it.

The great hall, when they entered, bore banners of the House of Austria, and Charles and Ferdinand’s personal arms, but it was still an unknown place. There were heralds, and nobles all around them, a musician singing while another played the lute, and the smell of Austrian and Italian foods filtered inside his nose. But it was still not home.

“His Majesty, the Emperor and His Highness, the Duke of Burgundy,” a herald cried out, banging his staff twice against the floor. The people inside turned to look at them and Charles recognized many faces as they bowed and curtsied. The Elector Palatine, the Duke of Longueville and the Duchess. And his brother, with a youth beside him. Ferdinand was bowing, as was the boy, who could be no older than fifteen, with pale blonde hair much unlike his father’s brown head. Charles thought he knew who he was.

He walked to the throne, as Ferdinand was standing right before it. “Brother!” the Emperor exclaimed, pulling Ferdinand into an embrace. “How long has it been!” His brother laughed and hugged him back.

“Long indeed, Your Majesty.” When he stepped back, Charles observed his brother’s face. He seemed tired, with bags under his eyes, and he had grown a thick black beard around his pronounced chin. “Please, allow me to introduce my son, Maximilian.” He gestured to the boy beside him.

“Maximilian.” Charles was right then. He recognized his brother in his nephew, the round eyes and a strong chin that was not unlike his own, but Maximilian looked much like his mother. Charles could count in one hand the number of times he saw his sister-in-law and still have fingers to spare, but it was easy to recognize the Queen in her son. He had her hair, and her mouth.

He offered his hand and his nephew kissed his ring before bowing again. “A pleasure to meet you, uncle,” he said in practised Latin. “My father, the King, always speaks greatly of you.” Charles smiled.

“Maximilian, please, meet your cousin, my son Juan.” His son approached, bowing before his cousin and uncle. When they were there, standing so close, it was easy to see the familial resemblance between the two. They were both blonde, both around the same height and age, and with the same Habsburg pouty lip. Charles could only hope they would have similar interests. Austria and Burgundy were close realms.

He turned back to his brother. “I was certain I’d see the Queen,” he commented off-handedly.

Ferdinand smiled. “I’m afraid my wife is too heavy with child to make the trek from Vienna, brother,” he said.

“Another?” Charles asked. It seemed to him that his brother did little more than breed lately. “When?”

“June, if the midwife is to be trusted,” Ferdinand responded with a gentle air about him, as if speaking about his wife and children calmed him. Put him more at ease.

Charles remembered when he was like that. Foolishly in love. He could only hope that his brother would not suffer as he did. He grasped at his chest, where a locket containing a miniature of Anne rested under his clothes, and urged himself to calm down.

His eyes went to Juan, who was speaking in Latin with his cousin, as the two seemed to play a complicated game with their hands. He didn’t look like her, not really, but Juan was her son. And everything Charles was doing in Trent, even considering the idea of making peace with the heretics was for her. It was all for Anne.

“The Duke of Württemberg is expected to arrive next week,” Charles said off-handedly, distracted by a servant bringing in a platter of cakes. It was a pity that his attention was diverted, for if it had been focused on his brother, he would see how Ferdinand’s face paled to a ghostly white.