An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

At this beginning of the chapter I was about to make a comment about Kitty’s piety but that twist messed that up. 😅😭😭 However, it’s quite romantic and I can’t wait to see the repercussions once this gets out.

At this beginning of the chapter I was about to make a comment about Kitty’s piety but that twist messed that up. 😅😭😭 However, it’s quite romantic and I can’t wait to see the repercussions once this gets out.
What's wrong with kitty's piety? She once lovingly said that she thought King Henry was able to listen in to their confessions, so I guess that meant she made them. A little piety can't hurt.

What's wrong with kitty's piety? She once lovingly said that she thought King Henry was able to listen in to their confessions, so I guess that meant she made them. A little piety can't hurt.
I’m a Christian myself so there is nothing wrong with piety. I was just about to say: “Looks like England’s next Queen will be very faithful.”

Palace of St James, England. 20th of July, 1539.

Kitty knelt before her little altar, clasping her hands together. There was a single candle burning, melted down to its middle and the little statuette of the Virgin had a chip in its paint, making her look blind in one eye. But it would still work, she was certain. The Lord did not care if one was rich, if one had great statues and paintings to adore in their piety. He cared only about what was in their hearts and Kitty knew that her heart was true.

She looked at the makeshift altar again, the rosary wrapped around the statue and the holy medal her uncle Thomas gave her for her saint's day and leaned forward just a bit, adjusting everything so it would all be in its proper place. Then, she leaned back and sat on her heels, sighing deeply. Kitty clasped her hands again.

“My lady,” she began, her voice low, “I ask of you to show me the true path.” Kitty held her breath and looked into the one-eyed gaze of the Virgin. “If the Lord sees me as a wife to the King, then I must know.” She would be a good wife to the King, Kitty was sure of it. She’d give him children, as redheaded as he was, and give him good counsel to rule his kingdom. She would never give him a single complaint and would always be with open arms to soothe his every ache.

Kitty loved the King most ardently. She would always be loyal to him, and to him alone. In fact, she decided then and there that if His Majesty did not think her worthy of being his blushing bride, then she would become a nun. She would never betray his image or the honour of another man, since her heart would not be theirs.

She closed her eyes and leaned her head against her hands, trying to think. Kitty was not very intelligent and she knew it. Her tutors always despaired of her, because things did not seem as obvious as they were to everyone else. Every day, she said a magnitude of stupid things, and thought a hundred others, but the King liked her. And so did Bessie. She could be a good queen. A queen had to be beautiful, and unapproachable. To bear children and to obey her husband. To be kind, charitable and good. Those were all things she could do, she was certain. If only the King gave her a chance.

Kitty opened her eyes suddenly. A knock. Upon her door. She stood up, trying to wonder who could possibly be at this moment. Bessie would certainly never knock, but a servant might. She had dismissed her maid for the night, because she wanted to be alone with her prayers, so Kitty had to open it herself.

There was a man outside. Tall, much taller than her, with a hat stuffed over his head to hide thick auburn hair. Kitty held her breath, surprised and caught in a weak moment, and she hesitated before curtsying. "Your Majesty," she babbled, "What an honour."

He removed his hat. "Kitty, please," he said. He was wearing simple clothes, the sort that no king would ever dare to wear lest he wish to be confused for a peasant, but Kitty would always recognize him. The King had an air about him, a gentility and way that spoke of magnificence. He could never hide from her. “I thought I told you to call me by my name.”

He stepped forward and she stepped back, letting him in. For just a moment, Kitty looked out into the dark corridor, almost expecting to see guards and nobles posted around to serve the King, but it was empty. And then she remembered that he was supposed to be in Whitehall, sleeping soundly through the night, some leagues away. It was a quick ride, but to do it at night, without a guard. The King had clearly taken some measures to disguise his appearance, he was wearing black clothes that would hide him in the night, but still… Risking his life to see her… It was incredibly romantic.

“You did,” she murmured, her cheeks blushing at being so intimate with him. “Forgive me.”

He smiled, taking her hand as the door closed behind him. “Don’t apologise for anything, dear Katherine.” It was dark in her room, the walls seeming to move and close around them and Kitty held her breath. The King’s other hand caressed her cheek gently, thumb passing over her skin. “I had to see you and I hope you will forgive me if I have caused any disruptions in your sleep.”

“I was not asleep,” Kitty admitted in a low voice. “I was praying.”

He smiled again, dimples appearing at the corners of his mouth. Kitty was amazed by it, by his hair which seemed to twinkle even with the dying light and his blue eyes that could see right through her. Could see her very soul and the heart that beat for him.

She licked her lips, nervous by being so close to him. Warmth seemed to flow from him and into her, wrapping around her like an embrace. The King made her feel secure, as if nothing would ever happen to her if she were in his arms.

The King shook his head, still stroking her cheek. "Sweet Kitty," he began, "Do you even know the effect you have on me?" Before she could say anything, or even ask about the fact, the King moved her hand. He brought her hand to his chest and her fingers spread as she placed her palm at the centre, the laces of his doublet tickling her skin. "Can you feel it?"

She nodded. The fluttering of his heart, quick as a bird's wings. Rapid and strong, travelling through his clothes and into her skin. It made her realise that she made him as nervous as he made her.

And Kitty needed to show it to him.

Her other hand had not been doing anything, just awkwardly hanging from her arm and so, Kitty grabbed the hand on her cheek. Brought it to her chest, nestling his large manly royal palm between her breasts so he could feel her heart. The King held his breath and his jaw slackened, mouth parting.

"See?" she asked. "The effect you have on me?"

"I do see it," he murmured, his voice different. Kitty frowned and looked up at him, confused. There was a strange look on his face, eyes almost darkened and when they met with hers, something changed. "Dear Lord, Kitty." The King kissed her then, pressing his mouth against hers in a heady and powerful kiss.

It was different than the other kisses they've had, stronger and more mature. As if he saw her not as his sister’s companion, but someone else. Someone better. Kitty responded to his kiss in equal measures, wrapping her arms around his neck to pull him closer. Her stomach twisted inside her belly and she stood up at the tip of her toes to kiss him better, unable to handle any distance between them.

And when the King pulled at her clothes, it felt only natural to continue. To take his clothes off as well, even though she knew that whatever they were doing was meant for only husbands and wives. But she didn’t care. She didn’t care when he pulled her to bed, or even afterwards. Maybe Kitty should feel bad for giving herself to a man who was not her husband, but she didn’t. Was that stupid? Perhaps, but she didn’t care.

Some time later, when the King had his face on her chest, laying his cheek against her breasts, and her arms were wrapped around him, Kitty could scarcely breathe. She wasn't in pain, but sore and there were some red spots in her sheets. Everyone would know, she thought, because surely, how awkward would it be when the King woke up at St James, after ‘falling asleep’ in Whitehall? Would she be labelled a whore? The King gave her no money, but he had given her gifts before. Would that count?

"Oh, Kitty," the King said. He rose on his elbows, hovering her like a fly. His face was flushed, hair tousled and she could not regret a single thing. He opened and closed his mouth, trying to think of something to say. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” she responded. It was the easiest thing to say to anyone, because it was true. She did love him, she loved him with all her heart and more. "I have always loved you, my lord."

"Then be my wife," he said. "Be my queen, Kitty."

"John…" she whispered. It was everything she ever wanted to hear.

"Were it not for the late hour, I would tell us to be married at this moment," he said. "But I do want to marry you, Kitty. Soon. Tomorrow, even.”

"But I'm not a princess," she said. Kings marry princesses. It was what everyone said.

"You're my princess," the King replied. "And who cares? Your uncle is the most premier duke in all of England and I shall make lords out of your brothers soon too. I will raise you up, Kitty, and all of the world with it." He kissed her again, a quick kiss that was soon gone, leaving only the memory of his lips pressed to hers. “I shall put you on a pedestal so high that no one will have any choice, but to adore you. I will make you a queen and queen you shall remain until the end of our days, if only you will accept me.” His blue eyes searched her face, visible even in the darkness. “Will you take me as your lord and husband, Katherine Howard?”

“I will.” Kitty wrapped her arms around him, pulling him down into a tight hug. He was much larger than her and the wind was knocked out from her, but she didn’t care. “I will! I will, I will!” They kissed then, and the dance began all over again.
I don’t know whose reaction to this I’m more eager to see. Thomas, Mary or Isabella‘s. Either way, this is gonna make some waves. Another Howard-blooded girl making off with a crown.

I don’t know whose reaction to this I’m more eager to see. Thomas, Mary or Isabella‘s. Either way, this is gonna make some waves. Another Howard-blooded girl making off with a crown.
Thomas is probably gonna celebrate the marriage of his niece. And Mary as in Marie, Duchess of Brittany?

1st of August, 1539.
Palace of Westminster, England. 1st of August, 1539.

“What do you think His Majesty wants with us?” Henry asked as they crossed through the corridors that led to the most private apartments within the royal palace. Charlie shrugged, a sudden movement of his shoulders that his old nurse might have thought she beat off of him, and turned away from his brother.

“How should I know?” he asked and Henry made a face, almost as if mocking him.

“You know why,” Henry replied. He was only the second born of Charlie’s Howard siblings, after Margaret, and older than Charlie by five years. Tall and dark-haired, he had inherited their mother’s blue eyes like him, but was considered much more handsome by the ladies at court.

Maybe because, at twenty-two, he had managed to grow into his beauty and was much more comfortable in his own body than lanky and tall Charles. But he wasn’t married yet, unlike their Leigh brothers and was a true soldier in their uncle’s ambitious policies for the Howards. And Henry didn’t know the King like Charlie did, didn’t know how to read his expressions, or to see the thinly-veiled meaning for their summons. Just the two of them, the two brothers Mistress Katherine Howard had by her mother and father both.

Charlie looked ahead. “He probably wants to ask us for permission to marry Kitty,” he said in a low voice. Their father had died some months prior, thank the Lord, and could not hope to embarrass the family any further, so that left the two of them responsible for Kitty. The only one of their sisters still unmarried. Mary had just wed Edmund Trafford, a knight with some land and money arranged for her by Baroness Howard.

“Really?” Henry couldn’t hide the smile in his voice. “Do you truly think that?” Charlie shrugged again.

“I’m not certain of it.” They stopped at the doors that led to the King’s private apartments, his guards posted outside. A young groom with the Tudor rose embroidered on the lapel of his doublet nodded respectfully at them.

“Masters Howard,” he said, indicating for the guards to open the double oak doors. “His Majesty awaits you.” Charlie nodded, stepping forward alongside Henry to enter. The first thing he saw was the newly-appointed private secretary of His Majesty, Thomas Cromwell. Master Cromwell was leaning forward as John remained seated at his carved seat, finishing his signature with a flourish. “Masters Henry and Charles Howard, Your Majesty.”

“Thank you, Culpeper,” the King said, looking up at them. He smiled brightly, the same sort of smile that the old king had, large and welcoming. Invitingly. The smile that could promise you a hundred things, that could give you everything you desired. Charlie knew that people at court often commented on the King’s resemblance to his mother, the deceased Queen Catherine, but he himself thought John to be his father’s son in flesh and blood.

The Howards brothers bowed deeply for His Majesty and the King let out a disgruntled laugh. “Come on, Charlie. Henry.” His chair scraped noisily against the floor as he stood up. "Soon enough, none of that will be necessary. Isn’t that right, Master Cromwell?”

“Most certainly, Your Majesty,” said the King’s secretary. Charlie straightened up, confused and his face had hardly formed a frown before he was engulfed into a tight embrace. John had his arms wrapped around him, those arms which were larger than usual through his strict regime of exercise and now, seemed to be drowning in the heavy sleeves lined with fur of his surcoat. It was a wonder Charlie could even breathe in that embrace, but he did find the air to laugh, and hug the King back.

John cupped his face as he stepped back, kissing him on both cheeks. "Oh, Charlie, we will be brothers in name, as well as in truth." He was smiling again, his face almost fit to burst. "I wonder if you knew, if you have always known."

Charlie frowned again. "Your Majesty…?" he began, confused.

John smiled and stepped back. He waved Henry closer, and kissed his face too, before truly parting from them. He seemed almost nervous, rolling around on the heels of his feet like a little boy and Master Cromwell, perhaps sensing the King’s anxieties or having already been instructed on what to do, came forward.

“The King has asked for the hand of your sister, Mistress Katherine in marriage,” he began and John looked at them, then looked at his secretary. “An offer of which was accepted by Mistress Howard most eagerly.” He offered them two copies of a single paper, the announcement of the King’s betrothal to Katherine Howard, daughter of Edmund and Jocasta Howard. The paper was dated to the next day, and spoke of a wedding date within a fortnight. Charlie knew that soon enough, in the early hours of the afternoon, the paper would be run through the city. Perhaps, after the King announced his decision before the court.

“Of course, you are her brothers,” said John. “My brothers now. And the Queen of England must be related to landed gentry, at least.” He gestured to Cromwell. “Show them.”

Cromwell then handed them the rough drafts of two different documents. It still did not bore the royal seal, but Charlie imagined that it would not wait before it did, for if John hoped to announce his betrothal the next afternoon, then these documents had to become official before the evening. For they spoke of turning simple men into landowners, titled nobles. The documents were two, one was the investiture of Henry Howard, son of Edmund and Jocasta Howard, as Earl of Hertford and the other named Charles Howard the, “I shall be Viscount Lovell?” he asked, surprised.

“Do you disagree with it?” John asked, with a frown. “I’m sure we could change the title to Viscount Howard, I just thought it would be much better to retain the name Lovell since it would be the same lands as the dog had.”

“No, no,” Charlie was quick to say. “I’m pleased with it, Your Majesty. I swear I am. I was merely shocked, to say the least.” His eyes were brimming with tears. “I just did not think the King saw me worthy of such honour.” The lands Richard III had awarded to his loyal dog were massive, and very rich. Charlie, and his descendants, would never have to worry about affording clothes again.

“And certainly, there are far too many Lord Howards at court,” Henry joked and the King laughed, a high and strong laugh. “One can hardly keep track of them.”

“Very true,” said the King. “At least, in this way, none can confuse Charlie with Hank Surrey's son." He stepped back, his face flushed with glee. It seemed to Charlie that the King was a different man, as if intoxicated. Besotted, really. Certainly, the thought that he was soon to marry Kitty gave him great joy, for he seemed to be truly relaxed. A weight had been lifted from his shoulders. “Master Cromwell also reminded me, when we were deep in the books last night, that you two shall need wives. Isn’t that right, Cromwell?”

“Most certainly, Your Majesty.” It worried Charlie, for just a brief moment, that the King seemed to be turning towards Cromwell so much, seeking his guidance so very often, but when he saw the look in John’s face, he decided it was probably not a bad thing. John had lost his father at a very young age. Perhaps, he was still in some need of an older man to guide and mentor him. “I took the liberty of offering the names of two young women to His Majesty, my lords, and the King sees them as most suitable.”

“Who are the ladies?” Henry asked. Charlie saw the question in his face, the worry mixed with the joy at learning that he was to be an earl.

“For you, brother Henry, your cousin, Catherine Carey.” The King handed him a miniature. “Do not worry about the dispensation, for I shall speak to the Archbishop of Canterbury myself. He has the authority to handle such matters. And Mistress Catherine is related to the Prince of Asturias through her mother, and her stepfather is a Scottish earl. Quite the big match, if I dare to say so.” The King turned to him, pulling another round small painting from his pocket. “And for you, Charlie, the Baroness Tailboys. Her last brother died some months ago, so she inherited the title. I have met her personally, so I can say the portrait is very faithful.”

Charlie took the miniature from him. It was the picture of a young woman, with clear white skin and a pensive gaze, staring far off in a light blue background. The woman, who could be no older than twenty, was wearing an English hood and a simple dark dress, though her cleavage was covered in jewels through necklaces and silver chains. Her nose was long and straight, her eyebrows, thin and her mouth seemed pink and perfect. She had brown eyes, clearly, though Charlie could not say what was the colour of her hair. Maybe blonde? Or perhaps red.

Either way, he thought she was beautiful.

Last edited:
The painting I used for inspiration.
elizabeth tailboys.jpg

I know people are saying its Anne Boleyn, but whatever.

And maybe, in a just world, John would have heard Cromwell's suggestions of marrying Baroness Tailboys to Henry and Cat Carey to Charles, but John is extremely biased when it comes to his friend. And he wants him to have a rich wife. As do I.

Oooh, I love seeing the Tudor men generous to their darling sweethearts and their families! I also appreciate that John is being very careful about which of Kitty's family he enobles here, so that there's less chance of him being overrun by Howards...

Oooh, I love seeing the Tudor men generous to their darling sweethearts and their families! I also appreciate that John is being very careful about which of Kitty's family he enobles here, so that there's less chance of him being overrun by Howards...
Well, let's be honest, Thomas Howard doesn't NEED more titles. He's already a duke. he's fine.