An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

30th of November, 1530.
Vienna, Austria. 30th of November, 1530.

Ferdinand wanted to hit his head against the wall. He wondered if Charles was being difficult on purpose, or if he was just different from so many years spent away from him. It was frustrating, putting ideas forth only to see them being rejected without second thought by his brother. To him, it seemed that he could say anything and Charles would reject it just because he was the one to suggest it.

"Hesse will demand to be present, as will Saxony," said Ferdinand as he and Charles convened over the religious council his brother hoped to preside over. “They may not come themselves, but they send representatives, at least.”

“They ought to come, or we will not receive them,” his brother responded and Ferdinand shook his head, ready to bite out a string of curse words.

Maria, however, placed a hand on his arm and he stopped. It was the first time his sister touched him of her own volition since they reunited, though he imagined it was more for Charles’ sake than his own. Maria had only come with him from Hungary, because she had decided to take up residency in Austria. He imagined it was far too difficult for her to live in the land that her son and husband died in.

Though she said nothing to him.

“I hear the Duke of Cleves has hosted some great thinkers at his court,” his sister murmured. “We ought to have him present in the preliminary meetings as well.”

Charles nodded, hands on his chin. “I imagine it will take many sessions to reach an accord with the heretics,” he murmured. “We should be ready for anything.”

“It will take time for them all to agree to a meeting, Hesse especially,” said Ferdinand. “The man is not known for trusting us.”

“Philipp will have to come,” Charles responded. “The Lord knows what sort of sinful acts he has been engaging in Hesse.” There were rumours that the Landgrave wished to separate from his wife, Christine. It was a wonder he and the rulers of Saxony could be such close allies, when considering the poor treatment inflicted on the landgravine. She was, after all, a member of the Saxon electoral family.

“Either way, I doubt we will hold the council next year, or even the year after that,” said Ferdinand, wanting nothing more to roll his eyes. He couldn’t however, not when Charles was looking at him.

His brother nodded. “I’m well aware of that,” said the Emperor. “I plan on returning to Spain soon enough.” His eyes moved to Maria. “Ferdinand, of course, will get on the first horse to return to Buda as soon as possible, but I trust you will be quite comfortable here, sister.” Maria nodded calmly and Charles stood up, causing everyone in the room to do so as well.

Before he left, however, he turned to Ferdinand. “Do be sure to write a letter to the Duke of Württemberg as well, so he or one of his representatives may attend the council,” said Charles. “He is one of us now and we might as well treat him like such.”

Ferdinand gulped, but, with the eyes of his siblings upon him, he felt forced to nod.

--

Château de Saint-Germain-en-Laye, France. 15th of December, 1530.

Elisabeth had to pretend to be happy, even if she was not. Why would she be? She hated everything about this, how her child could have her entire future decided with the flick of a wrist and the agreement between two men that knew nothing about her.

Had either seen Antoinette grow in their wombs? Had either given birth to her? Had they seen her give her first steps or steal eclairs from her mother's table with cheeky grins? No, they had not. So why were they allowed to decide her future over the dinner table and she was expected to just smile and bear?

She could not do it. No matter how much she tried, all Elisabeth managed to do was school her features into utter neutrality. The Duke of Guise, who had been given powers by his brother to arrange the marriage of Nicolas de Lorraine with Antoinette, didn’t seem to notice, thankfully. He barely even looked at her as they ate before the court, having just signed the proposal.

France was just now leaving the age of mourning. Mademoiselle Madeleine, one of her stepdaughters, had perished of smallpox in early November. The poor thing was always sickly, never strong enough.

Francis had been quite affected by her death, though he would never let anyone see it. Little Marguerite and Antoinette were the only remaining daughters of the King of France now. Elisabeth had suggested that Marguerite marry the Duke of Bar instead of Antoinette, she was the older sister after all, but Francis had not considered it.

His refusal to even ponder about the matter made Elisabeth start to wonder whether he had other plans for Margot. She was the same as her nephew, the Prince of Asturias. It was possible that Francis hoped to make his daughter the future Queen of Castile and Aragon, but that would mean he and Charles needed to finally see eye to eye.

And there was no chance of that happening.

The doors to the private chamber opened and a groom came running inside, whispering something at the foot of her husband's ear. For his part, Francis barely reacted, simply leaning back as he thoroughly chewed his cut of venison. When the groom finished delivering the message, the entire court waiting for him to say something, Francis nodded and waved him away.

Elisabeth was surprised when Francis turned to whisper in her own ear. He had barely reacted to her presence, even if she was sitting next to him. "Come with me," he said, standing up and she had no other choice but to follow him.

Louise, her mother-in-law stood up as well, adjusting her skirts and Elisabeth looked behind her, wondering what could possibly need both of them to hear. They were in a rather private room when Francis turned to her, his face placidly neutral.

"The Dowager Duchess of Savoy passed away earlier this month," he said and Elisabeth felt the world stop, a buzzing growing in her ears. "She stepped on a piece of glass, it seemed, and did not wake up for a surgery."

She thought about her aunt, who raised her when her parents left for Castile, who treated them like they were her own children. Who loved them, who educated them, who cared for them.

Then Elisabeth thought about her nephew. Juan, the Duke of Burgundy. He was four. He couldn't possibly rule the lands he was trusted with himself.

"No," she whispered. "This can't be true."

"I'm sorry for your loss," Francis murmured. "We will go into mourning for a fortnight. Inform your ladies. They probably haven't yet set aside your white gowns."

"Oh, Lord," Elisabeth murmured. She took a step forward, wanting to write a letter for her brother, but she didn't get very far before she tumbled down.

Francis caught her before she fell.

I'm very happy about the Lencastre end; whoever plans to take a throne stepping over children's body will never have my support. Interesting bit about Ferdinand and George. And the Low Countries need a new Regent; Thomas Boleyn will have the giant sized red arrow pointed to him painted on a signal a minute after he heards about this.

The problem is that the nobles likely would not like the choice

I was thinking that Anne would like being the regent of the LC more than Spain’s regent, but it would mean being separated from most of her children instead of only one

The problem is that the nobles likely would not like the choice

I was thinking that Anne would like being the regent of the LC more than Spain’s regent, but it would mean being separated from most of her children instead of only one
No choice will please everyone.