An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Dipping my toe in the water here right now and asking: How do we feel about two 13-year-olds having a kid? Kinda need to make some marriage alliances and wondering how early can I have this son be born.

Dipping my toe in the water here right now and asking: How do we feel about two 13-year-olds having a kid? Kinda need to make some marriage alliances and wondering how early can I have this son be born.
Maybe wait until they're 15? But you do you it's your story.

While it did happen it was rather rare and usually a sign of absent parents. Maybe if you added that the teenagers were married but supposed to wait to consummate until 15, but being horny teenagers slept together earlier.

While it did happen it was rather rare and usually a sign of absent parents. Maybe if you added that the teenagers were married but supposed to wait to consummate until 15, but being horny teenagers slept together earlier.
Hum interesting. The parents are Dorothea and Hans of Denmark and the boy would be born soon after Hans' father died so that probably helps...

Not that fond of the idea I must say. We don’t want to Margaret Beaufort the girl. Besides, if the age difference isn’t too great, he can marry her even if she’s a few years older :)

I think boys couldn’t actually marry until they were 14

And, we know the effect being pregnant and giving birth so young had an effect on the girls…Margaret Beaufort never had another child and her granddaughter was also really young when she married and didn’t have the best luck. There’s also Anne of Brittany to think of, she had more than ten pregnancies and only two children survived

I think you should wait a bit until they’re older

QznPDz.gif
Back to the drawing board...

Well the 13 year old girl won't be physically mature enough to stand the birth. That kid will be her only kid. See: IOTL's Margaret Beaufort.

I am sure some 13 year-olds could give birth, but I find it unlikely. In those times, women did not began to have visits from “Madame Becker” until later than they do now. Some boys are not able to “do the deed” at that age. But then again, it could always happen. Perhaps familial history should be looked at?

Boys can not legally marry/consummate the wedding before their 14th birthday meaning who you can not do it (but the boy can end marrying a girl 3-5 years older if the match/alliance is worth). In any case a repeat of Margaret Beaufort’s story is not guaranteed

Last edited:
13th of March, 1527.
Château de Cognac, France. 13th of March, 1527.

As soon as he finished the letter, Francis of France tore the paper in his anger, grunting and almost shrieking in with rage. Beside him, his mother stood up, coming to offer him a hand as he cursed, “Damned be that German!”

“What is wrong?” his mother asked. She looked down between them, where the scraps of paper had fallen to the rug-covered floor with a disgruntled sigh, certainly upset over being unable to read the message and find out for herself.

Francis was seething with anger, breathing hard like a bull as he turned to look at his mother. “Ulrich von Württemberg, the displaced duke you so lovingly suggested we fund to cause trouble for the Emperor and his family in the Empire, has been killed in a drunken brawl,” he said through gritted teeth. His mother’s mouth fell open and put a hand to her lips in shock. “The idiot could not avoid groping the innkeeper’s daughter before her husband and brothers.” He shook his head. “Now, there are few who would dare to stand between the Emperor’s brother-in-law and his continuing reign in Württemberg.”

“What about Bavaria?” his mother asked. “Can we not entice them to support us in our troubles?”

Francis shook his head. “George Bullen has promised his daughter Anna to the son of one of the Bavarian dukes,” he said, “In return for a pact of mutual non-aggression and Georg’s influence on the Emperor assisting Wilhelm on his conflicts with his brother, Ludwig.” He shook his head, wanting nothing more than to destroy the room around him. “We have no hope of causing trouble in the Empire to divert the Emperor’s attention away from our war in Italy.”

“Keep faith, son,” his mother said. “The battles have been indecisive so far. There is still time for us to regain Burgundy and to be able to press our claim to Milan and Italy.”

Francis stepped back, shaking his head. “Not now,” he said, already turning away. “I have to get my mind off this entire thing.”

He went off to find Mademoiselle Anne de Pisseleu d'Heilly. She would certainly make him feel better.

--

Castello Sforzesco, Duchy of Milan. 1st of April, 1527.

Caterina was eating lunch with her ladies, the children playing happily on the floor before them when her door opened and her husband stepped in, face determined and serious. The Duchess chuckled as she looked at him, watching her ladies stand to curtsy before they were dismissed, taking the children with them to leave the two alone.

When they left, Caterina turned to her husband with a smile. “Is there something wrong, my love?” she asked.

Francesco shook his head. “You know it already, dearest wife,” he replied. “I have just received an offer by the Emperor if I wish to betray the French and return to the fold.”

“Yes?” Caterina asked. “And what did my brother offer?”

“Why don’t you tell me?” he asked, waving a hand. Francesco came closer, kneeling before her to place a loving hand on her knee. “My proud Spanish duchess. You remain as you always were, just like your grandfather. Tricky as a fox.”

Caterina giggled, tonguing her lips to wet them. “And what did my brother say?” Francesco chuckled and stood up, offering her a hand to help her stand as well.

“He offers me a crown on a platter in return for betraying King Francis,” he said. “Mantua, Modena, Florence, Ferrara. It can all be ours if we use our money and our armies to assist His Imperial Majesty against his enemies.”

Caterina walked closer to him, taking his hands in hers as she pulled him against her, their foreheads leaning together. “I dare say it’s a fine offer,” she replied. “Mantua and Modena are small and weak when compared to our power. Ferrara is politically isolated and with the power of all three behind us, we can easily take Florence and its riches for our own.”

“I agree,” said Francesco, rubbing his nose against hers. “I intend to accept it.”

“Good,” said Caterina, cupping his cheeks. “If we betray the French, then Lulu has no betrothal. We must find a new bride for him.”

Francesco nodded. “And the perfect wife currently lives in Florence, a young and rich orphan with a claim to the Duchy of Urbino.”

--

Wulfhall, England. 12th of April, 1527.

Jane giggled as she spun, the light green skirts rising and falling on the air with her movements. Her father, standing right behind her, smiled and clapped. “Oh, my sweet Jane,” he said. “I always knew you would make the most beautiful bride.”

Jane stopped, slightly dizzy and giggled again, beaming at him. “Thank you, papa,” she said. Jane looked at the mirror again, noticing that her gable hood had been knocked slightly askew. She frowned and adjusted it, sticking the pins back in place to hold it.

When she was done, Jane looked back at her parents. Her mother was dabbing her cheeks with a handkerchief, weeping at the sight of her eldest daughter getting married, but her father was smiling brightly. Sir John came closer, clasping her hands in his. “My little Jane, my Baroness Howard, you have made me far prouder than what I thought possible,” he said.

“Oh, papa,” said Jane. She embraced him tightly, closing her eyes. It was her wedding day to William, the happiest day in her life, where her entire family and part of his would come together to celebrate their love. Jane had hoped that her mistress, the Queen, would attend as well but her pregnancy made it impossible, though she sent large chests of presents to compensate for her absence.

When they stepped away, her father cupped her cheeks and pressed a loving kiss to her forehead. “I hope you do not forget your kin now that you have married into one of the strongest and most powerful families in England,” her father said.

“Of course not, papa,” said Jane. “Since I will be a Baroness now, my household at court will have to be larger than it is now. With your permission, I’d take my younger sisters to serve me and find prestigious husbands of their own.”

“Of course,” said her father. He tilted his head slightly. “Elizabeth may be the most beautiful, but she lacks your good sense and manners. You may have more facility finding matches for Dorothy and Margery.”

Jane nodded. “I’d see my sisters married to men who would care for them, do not worry, father.” Her father smiled and kissed her forehead again. Jane felt tears prickling the corners, but she said nothing. It would not be proper Baroness-like behaviour for her to cry.

The door opened and her brother Henry stepped inside. “It’s time, father,” he said.

Sir John nodded, his eyes red with tears of his own, but when he looked at Jane, his smile was as bright as the sun itself. “Come, sweetheart,” he said, offering her an arm. “William awaits you.”

Last edited:
Sounds like Madame d'Heilly may have a rough night in store for her... Also ooh, a marriage between Catherine of Austria's son with Catherine de Medici is a fascinating match. So happy for Jane here, she deserves to be happy :love: