An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Ooh Jane and a Howard, that would certainly be interesting, to say the least... Nice that Isabella is taking after her aunt and mostly dealing with her husband's infidelity well, I'm sure she'll charm her husband back into being mostly faithful. Great chapter!
Well, Isabella was raised to be a Queen and queens look the other way. It definitely helps that little Pierre is living at Durham House with Henry though.

Well, Isabella was raised to be a Queen and queens look the other way. It definitely helps that little Pierre is living at Durham House with Henry though.
With the two bastards in one place, she probably has less houses to avoid when she isn't feeling too open.

4th of September, 1526.
Toledo, Castile. 4th of September, 1526.

After a meeting with the Portuguese ambassador, Charles decided to visit his wife, leading himself down the long corridors in search of the Queen’s bedchambers. He had just finished discussing matters of María’s betrothal to the Prince of Portugal, things such as dowry and inheritance rights over Spain and the Netherlands, and wanted to tell them to his wife, to see the smile break on her face after he successfully arranged a suitable match for their eldest daughter.

He found Anne in her antechambers, eating a meal with her mother. She smiled when he came inside, her mother standing up to offer him a deep curtsy and he came closer, placing a hand on the back of her chair as he dipped down to press his lips against hers.

“How are you?” he asked when he stepped back. One of her ladies pulled a chair for him to sit next to Anne and he sat, accepting the golden plate offered as they served him the same that she was eating. “How is our son?” He placed a hand on her belly, feeling the child move under his palm. He was quiet, with the occasional kick or stretch to assure his father of his continuing life, and Charles chuckled.

Anne placed her own hand over his. “He is very well, as am I,” she said with an amused smile. “And you? How was your morning?” They had attended Mass together, but separated soon after for their own duties.

Charles used his cutlery to cut out a piece of the meat on his plate, bringing it to his mouth with a fork. He waited to finish chewing and swallowing before he answered Anne, “It was well. I met with the Portuguese ambassador.”

“Really?” She arched an eyebrow. “How did it go?” There was a smile on her face and he could see the eager glint in her dark eyes, how she tried to hide her own anxious desire to know what had happened.

“Well, I think,” he said, grinning. “I think we will reach an agreement before the end of the year for María’s betrothal.”

Anne nodded. “That is good,” she murmured. “Hopefully, King João will be convinced by his queen to accept the engagement between Joana and Felipe.”

“Hopefully,” he said, “But even if he doesn’t, we already have a link with the Portuguese with María and Afonso. Other matches can be found for our eldest son.” Juan had already been betrothed to Anna of Lorraine, as Charles was right in believing that making Antoine the godfather of his second son would endear his heart for the match.

“I’m happy to see you so open,” she said. Anne looked beside her and her mother stood up, picking up a crinkly square of paper that had been set aside before he arrived. “Here.”

Charles read the letter in silence. It had been written by the Duke of Württemberg in personal French, detailing the birth of his daughter and first child with Johanna of Hanau-Lichtenberg. His brother-in-law intended to name the child Anna after his sister and asked the Empress to stand as her godmother in the child’s christening.

He raised his eyes, observing the sly curve of his wife’s smile. “Your niece as a wife for our son?”

“Why not? Our daughter is to marry your nephew, isn’t she?” She pouted slightly, as if offended by the idea that her niece wasn’t enough for their son. Charles chuckled.

“She is, but Württemberg is already tied to us with your brother,” he said. “It would be unwise for him to marry his daughter to Felipe when he can very well use her to gain the support of other German princes against Ulrich von Württemberg.”

“Such as whom?” Anne asked with a sniffle. She wasn’t entirely upset about what he said, waiting for him to atone for his callous words about her family. If anything, Empress Anne was very loyal to her blood and those who had it in their veins.

“Such as Bavaria,” offered Charles. “The lands of Wilhelm IV and his brother Ludwig border Württemberg in the East. Your brother ought to promise his Anna to a son from either Wittelsbach in return for a pact of mutual non-aggression.” He shrugged. “It’s possible they may accept, considering this would give them a Habsburg proxy, but without having to tie themselves to us as Ludwig is in conflict with Ferdinand over Bohemia.”

Anne nodded and he saw the moment his words made sense. “I shall suggest it then,” she said, “But does Duke Wilhelm have any sons?”

“One,” answered Charles. “Theodor. He was born in February if I’m not mistaken.”

“Perfect,” she said with a smile. Anne leaned forward and picked up an orange ball from a fruit platter before them, using her knife to peel it slowly. It was a fruit and she ate it with a smile, the juice running down her chin. The citric smell permeated the air. “Is there anything else?”

Charles arched an eyebrow. “Yes, in fact, there is,” he said. “Is it true what I’ve been hearing?”

“What have you been hearing?” she asked.

“That you are making arrangements to spend your confinement in Tordesillas,” he said, careful and aware of her state to hold back his confusion. “In the same residence as my mother.”

“That’s true,” said Anne. “Do you have a problem with that?”

One of her ladies, the granddaughter of the Duke of Alba, filled Charles’ goblet with wine. He moved away with an exasperated sigh, as she had placed herself between him and Anne, so he could continue looking at his wife.

“I’m just trying to wonder why,” he said. Lina de Alba walked away and he settled back on his original position.

“Tordesillas is a fine city, away from urban centres and all the disease that comes with winter,” she answered. “Besides, your mother is the Queen, not just our children’s grandmother. She should be able to see the birth of our new Infante or Infanta, shouldn’t she?”

“All your reasons are very good,” he said, “But I’m not convinced.”

“Why should you be convinced?” Anne replied with a sultry smile. “I’m the one who will be entering confinement, won’t I? It’s my decision.”

He chuckled, amused, and shook his head.

He raised his eyes, observing the sly curve of his wife’s smile. “Your niece as a wife for our son?”

“Why not? Our daughter is to marry your nephew, isn’t she?” She pouted slightly, as if offended by the idea that her niece wasn’t enough for their son. Charles chuckled.
Oh Anne, we love to see the family loyalty.
“Tordesillas is a fine city, away from urban centres and all the disease that comes with winter,” she answered. “Besides, your mother is the Queen, not just our children’s grandmother. She should be able to see the birth of our new Infante or Infanta, shouldn’t she?”

“All your reasons are very good,” he said, “But I’m not convinced.”

“Why should you be convinced?” Anne replied with a sultry smile. “I’m the one who will be entering confinement, won’t I? It’s my decision.”

He chuckled, amused, and shook his head.
She’s made some pretty good points, Charles. Let her go to Tordesillas.

Oh, interesting. Anna Bullen as Duchess of Bavaria would be perfect, though I haven't been able to find young Theodor. Is he an original character?

Oh, interesting. Anna Bullen as Duchess of Bavaria would be perfect, though I haven't been able to find young Theodor. Is he an original character?
He is not. Theodor was the older brother of Duke Albert V who died in 1534 OTL. His brother's wife had been betrothed to him and after his death, she ended up marrying the new heir, which was Albert. Interesting, huh?

He is not. Theodor was the older brother of Duke Albert V who died in 1534 OTL. His brother's wife had been betrothed to him and after his death, she ended up marrying the new heir, which was Albert. Interesting, huh?
Oh, so if a Bullen girl will marry into Bavaria as a Habsburg proxy, then where will Anna of Austria (Ferdinand's OTL second daughter) marry? She was Theodor's fiancée and Albert's wife.
Maybe Württemberg will have a son of age with her? Is that it?

Oh, so if a Bullen girl will marry into Bavaria as a Habsburg proxy, then where will Anna of Austria (Ferdinand's OTL second daughter) marry? She was Theodor's fiancée and Albert's wife.
Maybe Württemberg will have a son of age with her? Is that it?
Considering neither Anna of Austria nor a possible younger brother for Anna of Württemberg have been born, I'd dare say it's too soon to give you an answer.

Hahaa Anne has Charles wrapped around her finger, good on her. I wonder, perhaps, if this time with Juana has anything to do with their mutual distaste for certain elements of the Catholic Church? Very nice chapter!